closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo XC60 (Run-out model) D4 or D5?

Volvo XC60 (Run-out model) D4 or D5?

Seem to be a fair number of XC60 owners on the forum.

There are quite a lot of 2017 run-out XC60 R Nav Lux with around 6,000 miles available for £25/26K.

Do you have any views on D4 or D5 engines? I know the D5 is quicker off the mark, but what about age, emissions, quietness, economy in comparison to the D4?

Also any views on 2WD or AWD?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have the D4 2WD and love it, the engine is fine for the type of car it is. It now has 90K on it and is still as smooth as the day I got it if not smoother.

I had the 4WD version before with the 2.4 engine and was concerned that I would miss the 4WD but to be honest with decent all weather tyres on it has never been as issue.

I got 30MPG from my first one and get 42MPG from my current one.

Many thanks.

I have a 2017 XC60 D4 and an older XC90 with D5. D4 is newer, more efficient, powerful and economical. No brainier.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    I have a 2017 XC60 D4 and an older XC90 with D5. D4 is newer, more efficient, powerful and economical. No brainier.
    Cheers, is that D4 FWD or AWD?

Strong possibility that I will need a new car after Friday - MoT, so might have to move quickly.

2017 XC60 is looking likely, then it's narrowing down the choice:

SE Lux Nav or R-Design Lux Nav
    D4 FWD, D4 AWD, D5 AWD.

I think it's going to be auto. Currently have one car manual (potential MoT failure) and the other auto. I just want to settle on one type of transmission, so auto.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 29th January 2018 at 22:18.

I have an XC60 D5 AWD, have run it for a couple of years. It manages an average of about 40mpg, and suits the car well. It has a bit of character and can be a bit ‘gruff’ but it’s plenty powerful for safe overtaking and makes a nice ‘warble’. I did try the D4 but wanted the extra power - mines a manual as my wife and I prefer them over auto’s (and weirdly they’re much cheaper on road tax with higher mpg apparently) - and worn the manual box it has more power than I expected

I have a 2017 D4 2.0 2WD. I wanted the latest engine, the Euro 6, thus I bypassed the older Ford 2.4.

Grand Master
    D5 AWD and ideally Euro 6 to be future proof. I love mine and went R-Design and winter pack
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I have a 2017 D4 2.0 2WD. I wanted the latest engine, the Euro 6, thus I bypassed the older Ford 2.4.
    Thanks, yes I have thought about emissions, especially with the backlash and the fact I live in London although an outer borough.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    D5 AWD and ideally Euro 6 to be future proof.
    I don't think that's an available combination actually. The D5 is the 2.4 Ford engine and is not Euro 6.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I don't think that's an available combination actually. The D5 is the 2.4 Ford engine and is not Euro 6.
    Aren't all new registration 2015+ EURO 6?

Master
    I had the D5 and loved it. Being a 5 pot, it has much more character, 4 pot diesels to me just sound fairly unpleasant whereas the tone of the 5 pot is actually quite nice. Being nice and grunty it really suits the car well. Obviously you pay a bit in terms of mpg, mine averaged late 30s albeit I don't have the lightest foot.

I have a D4 AWD bought new in 2014 as I wanted to avoid the new engine and stick to the tried and tested older 2.4 diesel. It does high 30s mpg and is a super comfy family car. Not had any issues at all. One thing I would change though is to get the auto gearbox. My wife claimed she couldn’t drive an auto so I was talked into getting a manual. It’s perfectly fine as manuals go and a nice gearbox but I would much prefer an auto. We really like the XC60 and plan to keep it until I retire in 7 years time.

Master
    Had a 5 cylinder D4 R design, it was the first of the phase 2 XC60's before the 4 pot engine was introduced. Always wish I had the extra budget for the R Design Lux but alas it was out of reach. They are a great car although the rear passenger room isnt great if the driver is 6ft+.

No other real downsides I can think off, I do miss the whisper quiet interior and commanding driving position :-)

Paul

Volvo XC60 (Run-out model) D4 or D5?

Thanks all for you comments.

If our car fails its MoT today, I reckon on a 2017 XC60, <12,500, automatic, R-Design Lux Nav or SE Lux Nav and am fairly agnostic about whether 2l FWD or 2.4l AWD.