closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snoring - how can I stop

Snoring - how can I stop

Long ongoing problem I snore loudly and it has helped me lose two lovely ladies in my life with Thea reeds and argument of lack of sleep

I’ve tried s mouth guard - snored straight through it

Just didn’t £20 Ona spray recommended by the snoringbsiciety people - hadn’t touched me

Am about to try s strap that keeps my mouth shut through the night

I’m overweight - not massively but trying to drop

Has anybody had the soft pallets surgery?

I record via a sleep recording app and get upset listening back

I’ve said for anybody who stays at my property or gets close to wear proper ear plugs - hardly ideal but short term it’s realistic

Any thoughts?

I’m open to a giggle along the way - but it’s a serious problem for me and many others

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lose weight.

buddy of mine had the soft pallet chopped as he was making too much noise in the chamber and the operation worked a treat.

Blog Entries
    PM on its way!

Menno

Master
    I have the very same problem but am not overweight so I'll be interested to follow this thread. Is the soft palate procedure available on the NHS? I'm guessing not

As a dentist I've provided a "Mandibular Advancement Device" .... keeps your airway open. You'd need to be properly assessed first to see if you're suitable but I've had 100% success rate with my patients..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    As a dentist I've provided a "Mandibular Advancement Device" .... keeps your airway open. You'd need to be properly assessed first to see if you're suitable but I've had 100% success rate with my patients..
    Like this?

Yes it helps I can tell you - as a user

Many of us suffer and you are right about the relationship side. I've lost 12kg, it helps. I've tried the snoring ring, with partial success I feel. The mouthguard is so uncomfortable it's me who can't sleep not Petal. The best short term solution for us at the moment seems to be the Breathe Right strips. They do make it easier to breathe and Petal does report not hearing as much snoring.

Apprentice
    Losing weight definitely helps. Using a CPAP machine is a good solution for many people, myself included. Good luck...it’s no fun not getting a good nights sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Think I may try renting a CPAP machine for a week. I have to sleep on the sofa 2-3 nights a week to give the lovely lady a good night's sleep. Not a good solution so this may be an option:

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/cpap...cgok8pioj4r014

Master

Snoring - how can I stop

Lose weight and exercise. Don’t drink alcohol before going to sleep.
    And perfect gift for the lady:

Edit.
    Separate bedrooms are also often great solution to happy relationships.
    Last edited by EJL25; 26th January 2018 at 09:17.

Master
    Ear plugs are next to useless with the amount of volume I produce. My wife wears them nightly but we still have issues.

The nose strips can work for some people....got my Mrs on them so I can get some sleep!

Loosing weight (from 14st to 13st) made a big difference to me - stopped beer, bread, sugar filled cereal and choose not to have deserts.

Where can you get the spray and the nose strips - my Doris is getting annoyed at my snoring. I'm not overweight at all, It's worse if I have a couple of drinks.

Just in case anyone else is wondering...Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a throat spray- £5/6 from Boots, I think it forms up the soft pallet thing. Works most of the time, however a night on the sauce, a really long day or carrying a bit of extra timber soon stops it being effective.

Craftsman
    the snore ring works for me, I'm not sure how it works but it makes a noticeable difference (so the wife tells me!)

Steve B

Master
    I tried a snoring ring. Made things worse as it kept getting stuck up my nostril

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Ear plugs are next to useless with the amount of volume I produce. My wife wears them nightly but we still have issues.
    Genuine question; are you sure she's inserting them correctly? My wife is a very heavy snorer, when I wear earplugs the attenuation is almost total.

This sounds if interest could you pm me more details?

Can you breathe through your nose or is one side of it restricted?
    "A man of little significance"

Try and lose weight mate, possibly your best bet. I won’t give diet advice but I could.
    Secondly try and use a shallow pillow, the idea being you chin moves further away from your chest if you sleep on your back like me. You’ll be amazed how many people sleep in a bad position and hurt themselves. Also try and sleep apart few a few nights a week. Plus good quality ear plugs
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    Genuine question; are you sure she's inserting them correctly? My wife is a very heavy snorer, when I wear earplugs the attenuation is almost total.
    Yes I'm sure she is... I'm just that loud. I've heard recordings and it's quite impressive. Plus wearing ear plugs every night isn't a long terms solution. Ears aren't made to be blocked up for extended periods. I'm probably going to try a CPAP at some point

Journeyman
    Think i'm going to follow this! I'm getting worse with the snoring, fed up of being woken up by the other half hitting me!

Master
    I used to date a Scottish lady who snored like a grampus. Relationship didn't last. But on the earplugs point, try the gel like ones, I used them when staying in hostels in SE Asia and they work a treat.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Snoring

This sound like something I may need to look into. Is this something any competent dentist can do?

Regarding weight, Reducing your weight is not guaranteed to cure snoring or Obstructive Sleep Apnoea

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    And perfect gift for the lady:

OH!!
    Earplugs!
    Yes of course!
    I thought they were mini vibr....ermmm never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    This sound like something I may need to look into. Is this something any competent dentist can do?

Regarding weight, Reducing your weight is not guaranteed to cure snoring or Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
    do
    I’d like to look into this....
    do most dentists do this sort of thing?

The snoring ring worked for me, or rather my wife.

Very petite and certainly not overweight but snores like a baby hippo. Used the ring and whilst it’s not 100%, it made a huge difference. When it doesn’t work, it tends to almost act as a volume control so nowhere near as loud.

It’s only about £25 so worth a shout.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a blocked nostril and was prescribed a Steriod Nasal Spray.
    Certainly opened up airway, and stopped me breathing through my mouth.
    Snoring has not completely stopped but the volume has decreased.

Obviously everyone is setup differently so may or not work for you personally.

Like many other have said, weight reduction (in my case, over 6 stone) often works, as does not drinking to much alcohol.

However, apart from relationship issues (my wife used to sleep with headphones to drown out my snoring), the other major risk is sleep apnoea which can cause serious health issues.

Rather than trying the various gizmos recommended here (some of which may work for some people in some circumstances...), I'd encourage you to talk to your GP who may refer you to a sleep clinic. They should be able to identify the underlying cause and recommend the best course of action for you.

Master
    OP and others suffering please take time to read the info on the link below for NHS

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obstructive-sleep-apnoea/

After suffering for years, being turned away by one GP (NHS doesn’t do snoring, go to boots the chemist, good bye!), my wife went to the GP because she was suffering from lack of sleep, GP asked to see me.

Referred to ear nose throat at local hospital, referred to Papworth, sleep tests and diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea.

I was issued with a CPAP machine, took a couple of months to get used to, changed my life, and probably saved my marriage.

Master
    This is true that NHS doesn't do snoring though. Sleep apnoea will be treated but snoring won't. I've done a sleep study and whilst I do have mild positional SA it's not at a level that needs treatment so the snoring continues

I snore so badly that when I stay at the other half's place I sleep in another room, on the next floor, and she tells me that she can often still hear me. She is a light sleeper though. I have a nasal drip. In the night the drip dries out in both nostrils and then I have to open my mouth to breathe, then the snoring starts. I am already on what the NHS pharmacist assures me is the best nasal spray, Budesonide. I have also been on Nasonex and Beconase, but nothing seems to work. I have tried things up my nose and throat sprays to no effect. There was a device some time ago on Kickstarter that gave out an equal but opposite noise, which rendered your snoring silent within a certain zone. Poor explanation I know, and I can't remember the name of the device. I didn't understand the science of it, so didn't buy one. Has anyone else heard or tried this sort of method?

I am 30 pounds overweight, which I know doesn't help.
    Last edited by Templogin; 28th January 2018 at 02:34.

Sleep apnoea sufferer here... Getting it diagnosed and then treated with CPAP has to a significant extent changed my life.

Master
    I had pallets surgery 10 years ago and it worked, I did lose weight in conjunction with it and stoped smoking. I did start smoking again which didn't start snoring again, after some years I put a few pounds on I have started snoring again. Not as loud as pre surgery and usually when I am very tired or have had a drink.

The surgery was very simple in and out in a day. Pain wise hurt like hell but wa easily managed after a couple of days without pain relief.

Worth doing yes but without other lifestyle changes it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand;when I am very tired or have 4644476
    Long ongoing problem I snore loudly and it has helped me lose two lovely ladies in my life with Thea reeds and argument of lack of sleep

I’ve tried s mouth guard - snored straight through it

Just didn’t £20 Ona spray recommended by the snoringbsiciety people - hadn’t touched me

Am about to try s strap that keeps my mouth shut through the night

I’m overweight - not massively but trying to drop

Has anybody had the soft pallets surgery?

I record via a sleep recording app and get upset listening back

I’ve said for anybody who stays at my property or gets close to wear proper ear plugs - hardly ideal but short term it’s realistic

Any thoughts?

I’m open to a giggle along the way - but it’s a serious problem for me and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Use better ear plugs. I cant sleep in a room/apartment on holidays with family members - but having used some new silicone ear plugs that seal the ear for the night I'm able to get some sleep. I can't wear them for more than a few days in a row, as I have delicate ears 😂 ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

If you have nasal drip chances are you have food allergies. Get yourself tested and avoid the offending foods and I am pretty sure it will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I snore so badly that when I stay at the other half's place I sleep in another room, on the next floor, and she tells me that she can often still hear me. She is a light sleeper though. I have a nasal drip. In the night the drip dries out in both nostrils and then I have to open my mouth to breathe, then the snoring starts. I am already on what the NHS pharmacist assures me is the best nasal spray, Budesonide. I have also been on Nasonex and Beconase, but nothing seems to work. I have tried things up my nose and throat sprays to no effect. There was a device some time ago on Kickstarter that gave out an equal but opposite noise, which rendered your snoring silent within a certain zone. Poor explanation I know, and I can't remember the name of the device. I didn't understand the science of it, so didn't buy one. Has anyone else heard or tried this sort of method?

I am 30 pounds overweight, which I know doesn't help.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Use better ear plugs. I cant sleep in a room/apartment on holidays with family members - but having used some new silicone ear plugs that seal the ear for the night I'm able to get some sleep. I can't wear them for more than a few days in a row, as I have delicate ears  ;)
    We use Moldex ones. Do you have a prefered option? Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Well I’ve secured a doctors appointment tomorrow to raise the issue

It really is without drama ruining parts of my life that I value

Mine is a lot better after losing nearly 3 stone.

Its still there though and I suspect allergies.

I've got rid of the goose feather pillows and am currently experimenting with nose sprays.

I downloaded an app for the mobile called 'Do I Snore or Grind' which you turn on when you go to sleep. With the mobile placed in a certain position it monitors noise and records snoring. When you wake up it displays a graph showing what snoring (or teeth grinding) has occurred and grades it as regards severity - light, medium or heavy. If you click on the snoring episodes it plays back a recording so you can hear what its like.

I believe that you can buy a monitor that connects to a pad that you strap on to your arm that gives you a little shock when you begin to snore. I might give this a go if the allergy thing doesnt work.

I really dont want to be banished to the spare room again as happened in my last marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

Doctor was fab
    Spoke about weight - got a referral to fat club 12 weeks slimming world for free
    Referee to the sleep centre at the hospital
    Blood test for thyroid
    Pills to aid weight loss kickstart

She said I was her second snorer and was so lovely

- - - Updated - - -

Doctor was fab
    Spoke about weight - got a referral to fat club 12 weeks slimming world for free
    Blood test for thyroid

Doctor was fab
    Blood test for thyroid

Is it appropriate for a doctor to tell her patients they're lovely?

M

Ive been trying Rhynil double strength and its not made much difference.

According to the snoring app on my phone I am a light to moderate snorer.

Listening back to the recordings I wouldnt say that its window rattling when I snore but its certainly noisy.

I can go two or three nights without any at all then it will return.

An anti allergy nose spray certainly seems to help.

I would rather avoid the expensive and I suspect frustrating path of trying a series of devices from the internet and go to a clinic that can more accurately diagnose the cause and advise on what to do.

I would prefer to go private.

Can anyone recommend one in the London area based on personal experience?
    Last edited by Velorum; 1st March 2018 at 15:08.

Journeyman
    My missus suffers terribly at the hands of my night roars...Currently using 32dB ear plugs.

The strips and sprays do make things better but we're both a bit crap for keeping them in stock.....I'm interested in having a more permanent solution carried out so anyone with any experience i'm all ears.

I was bad
    Lost a couple of stone which I needed to anyway and very rarely snore now unless I'm full of cold.
    Also I founds alcohol is a big cause too and having to give up drinking for a few months and now cut down considerably again it's helped the snoring

Blog Entries
    First exclude that is sleep apnea, which if ignored can bring lung and heart consequences.

If snoring is in absence of apnea, then a good specialist may help

Journeyman
    Many moons ago, my Daughter took keyboard lessons at the Yamaha School
    The class was a mixed group of 8 to 12 students all the same grade/capability.
    It was quite a distance to the school, so to save a return journey I waited in a small annexe until the lesson was completed.

Unfortunately I must of dozed off. The Tutor found it necessary to wake me as my snoring was disturbing his class.

The Shame

Apprentice
    Snoring is a big issue when you hear the sound while sleeping. The snoring will disturb the other guy too. If you want to get rid of the problem then you need to go to the doctor. If you want to avoid the sound then you need to use an earplugs. Earplugs will help you to avoid the unwanted snoring sound. I was googling to find the website who are providing the best earplugs. I found some websites, I want to show them here so that you can know more about the earplugs.

https://bestreviews.com/best-earplugs
    https://www.bigearinc.com
    https://www.thesnorewhisperer.com/best-earplugs-blocking-snoring

Blog Entries
    Some interesting points so far, as a sufferer I am finding this thread very informative.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.