closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempur Mattress

Master

Tempur Mattress

Help, just been hit with the bombshell that I need a new mattress, now being your average sort of bloke that can happily sleep on a washing line I don’t think I do. Nevertheless I am being dragged kicking and screaming to the local furniture emporium who are having a sale of Tempur mattresses, whatever they are. All I know is they are ridiculously expensive even at the sale price so I would appreciate some advice on owners of said mattresses whether to put up a stronger fight not to bother.
    All comments greatly appreciated but remember this is G&D.

We have one - had it a couple of years and it's great.

As for the cost - you spend a decent amount of time in bed over your lifetime, shop around online - we saved £1200 on ours from the list price.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We just bought a new mattress (not Tempur) and bizarelly bought it off Amazon.
    Got a stunning price on an excellent mattress, and we both get a fantastic night's sleep. We thought our last mattress was good, but this is a huge upgrade, and was under £500 delivered

Craftsman
    There's a long thread on the Simba mattress, lots of happy customers including me!
    Reasonably well priced and if you get a referral code from someone you get 50 quid off or something like that I think.
    They sell them in John Lewis too, worth trying before you buy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

we have had one of these for a year now so nice to go to bed.
    TEMPUR® Hybrid Elite Mattress

The TEMPUR® Hybrid Elite is the second of three new mattresses which combine advanced TEMPUR® material for pressure point relief with new Precision™ micro coils, individually encapsulated in fabric pockets to provide exceptional support. Made from state-of the-art cold-drawn steel, each micro coil has a diameter of 45mm, is wound to seven turns and compressed to 10cm, an ideal stiffness to maximize response and comfort. The sumptuous contemporary white and grey cover incorporates a QuickRefresh™ top, easily unzipped for washing and airing to enable you to keep your bed nice and fresh.

The TEMPUR® Hybrid Elite is engineered to deliver a new, faster-responding feel by adapting to your temperature, weight and shape. If you share a bed, motion transfer is dampened because each person is independently supported so you can both sleep undisturbed.

Benefits

The TEMPUR® Hybrid Elite provides a supportive, responsive feel*
    10 year guarantee
    This mattress is 25cm deep
    Contains layers of advanced TEMPUR® material and Dynamic Support Technology
    Supported by pocketed, cold drawn steel Precision™ micro coils on DuraBase™ Technology
    Available online in all UK standard sizes.
    Minimal maintenance, no turning over required
    Can be used on a variety of bed bases, including adjustable or standard frames with slats or platform tops
    QuickRefresh™ soft fabric top cover is easily unzipped for airing or washing at 60°C
    Other layers of the soft fabric cover, including the grey side panels and white under layer, are also removable for airing or dry cleaning
    Ultra-thin TEMPUR-FIT™ Mattress Protector recommended to keep your bed fresh and clean (optional)
    Luxury soft jersey cotton TEMPUR-FIT™ Fitted Sheets also available (optional)
    As part of our home delivery service, this item will be unwrapped and placed on your bed base
    *For detailed product specifications click on the 'Product Details' ta

We've got one, had it about 4 years and wouldn't now go back to a normal mattress.
    Take a bit of getting used to, bit hotter in the summer than conventional but once you get used to it they're great. I noticed that it virtually stopped me from tossing and turning trying to get comfortable.

I used to get out of bed in the morning feeling about 80 with lower back pain but since the Tempur that's been a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 25th January 2018 at 21:45.

Master
    We've got a TEMPUR, the original kind and we've got Simba in the spare room. The foam in the Tempur is much superior, it moulds to your body in a way the SIMBA doesn't (i.e. although its memory it just pops back up when you get off).

I still like the SIMBA and it's excellent value for money.

Also, we bought our mattress at a TEMPUR outlet in Clarks village, good price from what I remember

Had one for 15 months. My advice is give in and get one. Wife and I both used to be restless sleepers and often woke up with lower back ache. We sleep like logs now and wake up with zero aches or pains. They take a few weeks to get used to but once you do, other mattresses in hotels etc seem truly awful.

Try the leesa mattress. A bit to soft for me as I like firm pocket sprung but after 2 months of trying it I rang them up
    And they collected it and refunded me in full within 5 days.
    Hyde and sleep are also highly rated We have a sealy now

Journeyman
    We bought a Tempur mattress some twelve years or so ago and we found it extremely comfortable which helped us forget the eye-watering price. We subsequently purchased an altenative for the bed we now use (the Tempur being consigened to a guest room) at half the price, and we found it just as comfortable, although it is now showing signs of taking a "set". That is we can now discern our body shapes impressed in the surface. The Tempur never did that. The only "issue" we had with the Tempur was a lack of (ahem!) "traction" when sleep was not our priority.

If my home burned down today, the first thing I’d replace tomorrow is my Tempur mattress.

Craftsman
    Would certainly be looking at the new online only companies. They're really attacking the incumbents profit margin. Offer some good terms too with trial periods and no quibble money back refunds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been using a tempur since 2010 and it's fantastic

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't you overheat in them? I've been using a Tempur pillow for years & I even take it on holiday with me. I really dislike feeling hot in bed though :-/

While we're here, what is it with stain insurance? Who cares if the mattress gets stained?* Who is ever going to see your naked, sheet-free mattress?

OK, I know the answer is "the wife".

Vi-Spring Bob! Forget the sweaty plastic artificial Tempur... Not that expensive about a third of a Submariner..!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Tempur cloud supreme mattress.
    Honestly it's one of the best things I've ever bought.
    The pillows are a must have too. Never slept so well in years.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Vi-Spring Bob! Forget the sweaty plastic artificial Tempur... Not that expensive about a third of a Submariner..!
    Cheers Vince, that’s the first real bit of anti tempur ammunition, I can see me wriggling out of this one, I wouldn’t care but the present mattress is only about a year old so it’s hardly run in.

Master
    I’ve had a Tempur for the last 12 year’s and always found it comfortable, if a little warm. In the last few years it had really lost its shape and became very saggy, to the point were I was getting bad back ache. I suppose it’s not surprising given its age but I’ve now gone back to a firm, traditional mattress and I don’t think I’d actually go back to memory foam.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Try the leesa mattress. A bit to soft for me as I like firm pocket sprung but after 2 months of trying it I rang them up
    And they collected it and refunded me in full within 5 days.
    Same for me, way to soft.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have a Tempur cloud supreme mattress.
    Honestly it's one of the best things I've ever bought.
    The pillows are a must have too. Never slept so well in years.
    You are not helping C, surely it’s not better than a seadweller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Welllllllll. Seadwellers haven't significantly improved my life so have to say Tempur edges it!

On a serious note though I genuinely feel like I get a good night's sleep now. I didn't previously and woke up tired and sore. Now I go to bed, settle, and that's me til morning rather than fidgeting and waking every couple of hours.

Altho for the first couple of weeks it feels SO odd.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Cheers Vince, that’s the first real bit of anti tempur ammunition, I can see me wriggling out of this one, I wouldn’t care but the present mattress is only about a year old so it’s hardly run in.
    You really do not have to buy one - the other half will not see this thread?

The general trend of advice is good and as C has said, tangible and noticeable improvement.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

After last years mattress debate on here last year we opted for the "Casper "brand ,we've had it for about 6 months now and honestly cannot fault it.

Master
    We had one for a few weeks last year and hated it. Had a firm one but could t get used to the sinking feeling and I must run fairly hot at night as I just couldn’t bare the heat. Luckily Dreams had an exchange policy so we managed to swap it out (although the Tempur was more expensive and they don’t refund the difference)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another happy simba owner here. Can’t believe how much better i sleep since we got it. It’s a bit warm for my liking but that’s the only downside so far.

We had a Tempur mattress for about 10 years and loved it, then my missus started getting the hot sweats and found it uncomfortable. We looked at various sprung mattresses but after trying out the Tempur elite hybrid we went for that. It’s a lot cooler than the original memory foam and after 6 months we’re still getting a great nights sleep.
    Give IMMY77 a PM, he’s the mattress go-to fella.

Craftsman
    Second Vispring, invested in one the other month along with base and headboard. Expensive but excellent quality and finish and comfortable :)

Craftsman
    Try Jensen. I think they are Danish. They don’t make beds; they make”sleep systems”.

Mrs C likes her side firmer than I do - they will build them that way

Saturday just gone we had a Hypnos Superb pillow top pocket spring King size delivered from John Lewis.
    After an in-store testing session just after new year, this got the vote over the memory foam options by both Mrs. Reggie and I.

Master
    Ive gone from a memory foam (silent night ?)
    to an Ikea traditional sprung one after sleeping on one while away for a weekend - super cheap and so far so good - very impressed at the value .

Master
    Replaced my 7 year old sprung mattress for a 3 softness Tempur one about 2 months ago. As the others have said, I've never slept so well in all my adult life as on one of these. Even got the pillows. Consider it will last you almost a decade if you look after it, the cost spread over that time is almost insignificant.

Well worth it
    Thay have 10yrs guarantee anyway

Master
    We have a Tempur, and it took me close to a year to get used to the feeling hot, but no longer notice it. As a mattress the comfort is wonderful.

Same here, Vi-Spring is the only mattress I'd ever sleep on, no Man made fibres so stays cool in summer and warm in Winter, I would not want to sleep on foam of any kind however well they dress it up and market it.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 26th January 2018 at 10:17.

Another Vi-springer here. I love an ice cold bedroom and a big thick duvet. Anything that’s causes me to get too warm is not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    After last years mattress debate on here last year we opted for the "Casper "brand ,we've had it for about 6 months now and honestly cannot fault it.
    We bought a Casper mattress few week ago. It took me about a week to get used to it but now the only problem is it makes it more difficult to get out of bed when the alarm goes off a its so comfortable, then again my old spring mattress was well past its best.
    No heat issues either and my wife is very hot in bed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Saturday just gone we had a Hypnos Superb pillow top pocket spring King size delivered from John Lewis.
    After an in-store testing session just after new year, this got the vote over the memory foam options by both Mrs. Reggie and I.
    That sort of thing could get you arrested ;-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Agree that tempurs can be warmer than others.
    I like windows open and a chilly bedroom so I use a ten tog down duvet with it and get similar temps to a heavier duvet and a sprung mattress. Fine tuning :)

I have a sprung mattress with a memory foam top layer. I find it gets a bit warm, though not if we use a mattress protector. Not sure if you can use them with a full memory foam mattress though.

Master
    I have a Herdysleep mattress. I didn't buy it, got it as a replacement from a mattress company who went into liquidation and gave this to me. Its very nice, you don't overheat and its soft but supportive.The only issue I find with any memory foam mattress is when you're 16.5 stone, they tend to mould to your body shape and create a big imprint in the bed, which makes it uncomfortable.

I had a Tempur Deluxe 25cm mattress. Also instigated by the wife. I didn't like it from day one as it was too warm, then about a year later the wife started moaning about getting aching in her hips and she felt banana shaped in bed. I run a straight edge over it and sure enough it had sagged/lost its memory. Luckily they do have a good guaranty and we were able to exchange it.

We bought a Harrison Bed which is conventionally sprung with a massive number of springs and hand tufted using natural fibres and materials. This was around three years ago. Its bloomin lovely, best bed I have ever slept in.

https://www.harrisonbeds.co.uk/our-beds-mattresses/

Master
    Cheers guys, most helpful, have decided against the Tempur due to the heat problems, I really prefer a cool bed so that was the deciding factor. Really pleased I asked for advice, it seems like the search will continue but will follow up on some of your recommendations, many thanks.

Sorry late to this discussion... I have recently finally resolved the age old problem of 'buying a decent bed', after falling for the memory foam hype a couple of times and being unable to sleep due to the heat.

I can highly recommend John Ryan Beds for THE best place to buy a new bed and mattress of whatever type you like. They are exceptionally high quality, and completely transparent (just read the enlightening articles on their website). There's a bed for any budget, ours is mid-range but is by far the best bed I have ever experienced.

The company is just quality. (No affiliation, just an exceedingly happy 1st time customer of theirs).

Craftsman
    I recommend sleeping duck mattresses, best of both worlds, sprung and memory foam, not too hot and free customisation within your 100 day trial.
    I have the firm mattress and I don't think the good lady and I have ever slept better. They are very well made, very heavy!!.

Steve B

Tempur matress is best to support my back, lovely comfortable sleep with nary a twinge.

Our other Tempur mattress was a bit worn after about seven years so we've just replaced it with a new Tempur.

My Mrs is not so enamoured as me with the Tempur's but I put that down to her being very light and floating on the top rather than sinking in!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Dreams have a sale on now.

Just bought a new mattress today. It's a Millbrook. Pocket sprung made with all natural fibres (cotton, wool, silk, etc - even a bit of cashmere and pashmina for some reason).

IMHO the newer foam mattresses are just a new way to sell big blocks of foam to the public at a fantastic markup. Foam eventually breaks down into granules, then fine dust. And, of course, this is what you breath in when in bed. Also, it's easier to get warmer in bed than cooler, and I find foam intrinsically too hot.

Finally, I do not want to sink into a bed, like Wile E Coyote when he hits the ground after he drops off a cliff. I will spend enough time interred thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Dreams have a sale on now.
    Worst Gabrielle song ever.

Master
    We went from a tempur (I found it too warm) to an octaspring by dormeo a few years back and have been very happy with it indeed

Master
    we had a Tempur for years. awful. went and got a Hypnos...not the ones they fit in premier inn. but a decent natural wool fill one. coupled with wool duvet. perfect. cool in summer and warmer in winter. non of that 20 million tog feather nonsense she insisted on in winter!🤣

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app