closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash Converters - anyone got a bargain, Think I may have..

Cash Converters - anyone got a bargain, Think I may have..

Went to a high street yesterday to sort out some in bank finances and while I was doing that my missus went for a walk around the shops, when we finished she said there was a few Omegas in Cash Converters so I went for a look.

There in the case was a fine looking auto 2254.50, more to my surprise it wasn't over priced and after having a look at it the condition was very very good, not the usual dinged bezel or scratched insert and no polishing, bracelet has a few desk diving marks but other than that really nice..

Had a chat about price and could I bring it back if it proved to be fake, even though I knew it wasn't! all worked out so bagged myself a 2254 for £989! bit of a bargain I think so perhaps we should all have a scan around our local CC's!!

Last edited by murkeywaters; 26th January 2018 at 10:19.

Craftsman
    Looks like you got yourself a bargain..... well done!!

Well done, nice find. The watch looks to be in great nick.

Grand Master
    looks good to me, and a bargain at that price!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Who would be stupid enough to sell something like that to cash converters. Do they do any checks with lost & stolen registers at all ?

Congrats OP looks like a good find

Looks fantastic , a very good buy , congrats .

I was looking in the window of one today in Hammersmith,they had a few watches in ,they wanted £6600 for a submariner,I think it was quite new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Who would be stupid enough to sell something like that to cash converters. Do they do any checks with lost & stolen registers at all ?
    Junkie's next fix I was thinking if they sold it on for a 50% profit!

PS OP I'm just jealous ;)

I keep checking the local pawn shops, but all there is is overpriced and if not, quite beaten up.

2254 is a great watch. Love mine.

Don't flip it, keep it and enjoy wearing it.

Craftsman
    Good buy that, wouldn't mind one of them myself.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Well done OP!

Master
    In fairness to Cash Converters, all such transactions are recorded on camera. They insist on photo ID and proof of address before buying anything. If they happen to buy something that has been stolen they’ll fully assist the Police. I suppose they stand to lose their trading license if they’re found to be peddling stolen goods.

Blog Entries
    Bought a 2254.50 today for quite a few pounds more. Well done !

Grand Master
    That’s one serious bargain, you’re a lucky boy. Even factoring in the cost of service with your friendly Omega expert ( if it needs it) you’re quids in.

Despite the cynical comments earlier on this thread I’m sure Cash Converters will gave done their own checks regarding the seller. There’s always a risk of dubious provenance but in most cases all’s above board.

I would’ve done exactly the same and snapped this one up. If you don’ look you don’t find, most of us don’t do enough legwork to find the bargains.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    In fairness to Cash Converters, all such transactions are recorded on camera. They insist on photo ID and proof of address before buying anything. If they happen to buy something that has been stolen they’ll fully assist the Police. I suppose they stand to lose their trading license if they’re found to be peddling stolen goods.
    I had my wedding ring stolen from a gym locker, along with a few other things. Found it for sale 2 months later in Cash Converters in Dunfermline. I informed the sales assistant that it was my ring and that it had been stolen. They had been informed of the theft by police at the time, but still took it in.

The thing is, my ring is part made of Welsh gold and is hallmarked with a dragon, which they where told about. The sales assistant even mentioned it to me that the manager had noticed the hallmark when he purchased it from the guy.

Craftsman
    Well done.
    A bargain indeed.

Master
    Excellent! Looks in great nick well done OP!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    I had my wedding ring stolen from a gym locker, along with a few other things. Found it for sale 2 months later in Cash Converters in Dunfermline. I informed the sales assistant that it was my ring and that it had been stolen. They had been informed of the theft by police at the time, but still took it in.

The thing is, my ring is part made of Welsh gold and is hallmarked with a dragon, which they where told about. The sales assistant even mentioned it to me that the manager had noticed the hallmark when he purchased it from the guy.
    I'm assuming you got it back there and then?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I'm assuming you got it back there and then?

No, had to wait for the police to retrieve it, which took a week.

Funny thing is I was told by the sales assistant I couldn't have it, but shut him up after showing him my warrant card.

Sorry OP, very nice watch.
    Last edited by Andrew S; 25th January 2018 at 22:38.

Master
    Yes thankfully as I would not have been able to replace it.
    Good stuff. Knowing them lot they would have probably tried to sell it for something to make some money!

Nice find, this would have been a good buy, £35 for a 30k violin https://inews.co.uk/news/joy-woman-r...sh-converters/
    Lucky to get it back.

Master
    No, had to wait for the police to retrieve it, which took a week.

Funny thing is I was told by the sales assistant I couldn't have it, but shut him up after showing him my warrant card.

Sorry OP, very nice watch.

Glad you got your property back. Thieves are despicable.

Thanks all, yeah I totally get the could be nicked scenario and it crossed my mind but I asked about this and was told they do ID checks and what not as a previous member said, also I have 6 months to take it back if there are any issues..

Thing is what do you do in a situation like this, leave it behind the counter and presume its nicked or do the deal? I always wanted a 2254 and have seen lots sell on SC over the years with the price just going up and up to the point where it felt like I missed the boat.
    They also had some other nice pieces but prices we all over the place either wildly expensive or cheap in this case, you could tell they didnt really know the wider watch market.

As a watch it's ticked all the right boxes for me, slim for a diver, date that isn't obvious, great size, super comfortable, classy, super lume, very good finishing, excellent legibility, it's just a superb watch, there will be sales to balance the books but this 2254 is here to stay - I love it..

Thanks for the kind words to Paul, at the moment it's about -4 sec a day so I'll see how it goes but I'm sure I'll forward onto you for a service in the future

Cash Converters - anyone got a bargain, Think I may have..

Great looking timepiece you got there. Although I’m not familiar with this particular model, I can see from what others have said that you got a bargain. For a wis that’s a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I don't think its that unusual for cash converters to receive stolen goods. A friend spotted his stolen bass guitar in the window of a local one and had to wait for the Police to receive it. The ones around me are also full of used power tools that are almost certainly all stolen.

No slight on the OPs bargain. Its really cash converters responsibility to do the checks before they take the items in. I dare say they do their best but it can't be easy to check some items if the local police don't have record of it missing.

Craftsman
    Is there any recourse for the seller? I wonder whether they would be able to claw back the money from the seller?

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I don't think its that unusual for cash converters to receive stolen goods. A friend spotted his stolen bass guitar in the window of a local one and had to wait for the Police to receive it. The ones around me are also full of used power tools that are almost certainly all stolen.

No slight on the OPs bargain. Its really cash converters responsibility to do the checks before they take the items in. I dare say they do their best but it can't be easy to check some items if the local police don't have record of it missing.

Master
    A local pawnbroker has had an IWC in the window for months....lets say its definitely not under priced. In our poverty-ridden area, its likely to stay there for years....not that more than 3 local people will have heard of IWC anyway!

Master
    I just got Prometheus on blue ray for £1 from cash converters thats a bargain it was the only thing that stood out amongst the old sat navs and 110 volt power tools nicked from building sites,
    ours used to have decent watches up until acouple of years ago eg rolex omega breitling but now the only watches they have are armani and michael kors

Master
    Congrats to the OP - I picked one up this week via SC for a lot more than that but was still happy with the price I paid - so for that money its a STEAL (Pardon the pun)

In all honesty congrats to the buyer youve purchased in good faith so I wish you well and many years of enjoyment wearing it, I cant wait to get mine back from a service :)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I just got Prometheus on blue ray for £1 from cash converters thats a bargain it was the only thing that stood out amongst the old sat navs and 110 volt power tools nicked from building sites,
    ours used to have decent watches up until acouple of years ago eg rolex omega breitling but now the only watches they have are armani and michael kors
    You could make yourself a few quid on the Michael Kors if you posted them up on SC!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Always good to see a bargain win, sub 1k is a real nice acquisition ..... enjoy, it looks really smart ....

Good deal well done there!

Apprentice
    well, it does seems as if you've got a really good deal. I've seen exactly such a time piece somewhere online with at least 70% extra! so congrats with that purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Went to a high street yesterday to sort out some in bank finances and while I was doing that my missus went for a walk around the shops, when we finished she said there was a few Omegas in Cash Converters so I went for a look.

There in the case was a fine looking auto 2254.50, more to my surprise it wasn't over priced and after having a look at it the condition was very very good, not the usual dinged bezel or scratched insert and no polishing, bracelet has a few desk diving marks but other than that really nice..

Had a chat about price and could I bring it back if it proved to be fake, even though I knew it wasn't! all worked out so bagged myself a 2254 for £989! bit of a bargain I think so perhaps we should all have a scan around our local CC's!!
    How much was it selling for in the window?

Could be useful to know what lee-way they have on sales.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    How much was it selling for in the window?

Could be useful to know what lee-way they have on sales.
    It was up for £1099, I got them down to £999 and a pair of £10 Binoculars chucked in - long story!!

They did say they could discount more in the future if they come to own it outright but it still belonged to the person who pawned it, I think they had a sell on behalf of agreement whilst the loanee had some cash to tide him/her over..

OK thanks its the 10% negotiation that people seem to talk about in general.

Craftsman
    Lovely little bargain! Great find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    ...it’s the 10% negotiation that people who are naive enough not to look at the price in absolute terms but ready to be swayed by discount from a price without context seem to talk about in general.
    FTFY. HTH.

As for the OP’s watch, it seems fairly priced and these are good value compared with Rolex equivalents. Yes, I wrote that.

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    FTFY. HTH.

As for the OP’s watch, it seems fairly priced and these are good value compared with Rolex equivalents. Yes, I wrote that.

H
    Undeniably

Apprentice

The high street is well worth a look every now and again

I picked up a nearly new Corum bubble for £180 a few years back in cash converters, also found an Omega Titanium Chrono with gold trim for a friend who had been searching for one for ages for £1250 which was also a bargain, it’s worth a visit every now and again.

Master
    You got a great Mrs there who spotted those watches. Great buy and a very good example as well of discontinued 2254. Wear it in good health Matey.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paulscurfield View Post
    I picked up a nearly new Corum bubble for £180 a few years back in cash converters, also found an Omega Titanium Chrono with gold trim for a friend who had been searching for one for ages for £1250 which was also a bargain, it’s worth a visit every now and again.
    wow, those are some lucky finds indeed....surely they didn't know/realize that they had in their hands with that Corum, probably thought its fake, as for that Omega, am assuming its a 90's model? Still a good value of course especially since lately prices have been rising across the board.

Master
    Not on the same league but I picked up a decient Suunto for £50

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    wow, those are some lucky finds indeed....surely they didn't know/realize that they had in their hands with that Corum, probably thought its fake, as for that Omega, am assuming its a 90's model? Still a good value of course especially since lately prices have been rising across the board.
    yes we had been searching for the Omega for a while and the chrono24 prices were £2400 at the time so still a good find.

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    You got a great Mrs there who spotted those watches. Great buy and a very good example as well of discontinued 2254. Wear it in good health Matey.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thank you, yeh she knows I like my watches and that I tend to buy wisely, even so she didnt think I would go and blow a grand in Cash Converters.

After a good ultrasonic cleaning and a toothbrush to get any residue of previous owners off the watch I then resized the bracelet to fit perfect and it hasn't left my wrist since.

It's funny how we read, research, buy and flip watches to try and find the best watch for ourselves, but a spur of the moment purchase has everything I like in a watch, the 2254 is perfect for me.

Master

My wife!!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Thank you, yeh she knows I like my watches and that I tend to buy wisely, even so she didnt think I would go and blow a grand in Cash Converters.

After a good ultrasonic cleaning and a toothbrush to get any residue of previous owners off the watch I then resized the bracelet to fit perfect and it hasn't left my wrist since.

It's funny how we read, research, buy and flip watches to try and find the best watch for ourselves, but a spur of the moment purchase has everything I like in a watch, the 2254 is perfect for me.
    If that had been my wife I’d have gone straight online to look at what she has bought or ordered as unless she gets something there is no way she is showing me watches!!!
    FairPlay to your other half for being that decent and you could easily flip it for more so now you can tell her to keep looking as she’s making you rich, or that’s the excuse I’d use ;-)

Chris

Apprentice
    wow! i even envy you, in the good word. that's indeed an amazing bargain that i would wish myself. if there is anyone with similar bargains, please post them or write me directly https://delicerecipes.com/finger-lic...100-vegetable/
    Last edited by Hatned; 22nd May 2020 at 11:53. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatned View Post
    wow! i even envy you, in the good word. that's indeed an amazing bargain that i would wish myself. if there is anyone with similar bargains, please post them or write me directly
    I assume, as your contribution to the forum, you will let us know of any 6 month old bargains.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatned View Post
    wow! i even envy you, in the good word. that's indeed an amazing bargain that i would wish myself. if there is anyone with similar bargains, please post them or write me directly
    Similarly, anyone with tales of stolen goods or fake items being offered for sale from this store will always find an audience here, as has been the case many times.