closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cash Converters - anyone got a bargain, Think I may have..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Went to a high street yesterday to sort out some in bank finances and while I was doing that my missus went for a walk around the shops, when we finished she said there was a few Omegas in Cash Converters so I went for a look.

There in the case was a fine looking auto 2254.50, more to my surprise it wasn't over priced and after having a look at it the condition was very very good, not the usual dinged bezel or scratched insert and no polishing, bracelet has a few desk diving marks but other than that really nice..

Had a chat about price and could I bring it back if it proved to be fake, even though I knew it wasn't! all worked out so bagged myself a 2254 for £989! bit of a bargain I think so perhaps we should all have a scan around our local CC's!!

That's lovely and a definite bargain. I paid £900 in Watchfinder in 2008 for a one year old example. Your wife has a good eye!

Nice one!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I assume, as your contribution to the forum, you will let us know of any 6 month old bargains.
    Nice and pleasant welcome!

Journeyman
    Great find and a stunning watch!

The best I have seen at CC's was a SS JLC Reverso. It seemed in pretty good nick and if i remember rightly, reasonably priced. I did not have a close up inspection or ask to see box and papers etc, it was certainly a shock to see it sparkling back from a window in sunny Darlington

I will have to keep my eyes peeled from now on!

I bought a Fender P Bass from the Cash converters in Blackpool, was online at £600, i rung them and offered £500 which they accepted, called in the next day and haggled them down to £450. It was a USA one in sky blue worth double what I paid.

As someone said about the IWC above, the back streets of Blackpool isn't an area where many people have money to blow on instruments. It was like a scene from the Walking Dead in there

Journeyman
    Awesome find. Not sure I’ll ever be that lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Went to a high street yesterday to sort out some in bank finances and while I was doing that my missus went for a walk around the shops, when we finished she said there was a few Omegas in Cash Converters so I went for a look.

There in the case was a fine looking auto 2254.50, more to my surprise it wasn't over priced and after having a look at it the condition was very very good, not the usual dinged bezel or scratched insert and no polishing, bracelet has a few desk diving marks but other than that really nice..

Had a chat about price and could I bring it back if it proved to be fake, even though I knew it wasn't! all worked out so bagged myself a 2254 for £989! bit of a bargain I think so perhaps we should all have a scan around our local CC's!!

Looks fantastic- congratulations on a great result:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That's great value!

Craftsman
    Never in a million years would I have thought of going to cash converters, but I will now, great find, well done.

Craftsman
    I’ll be in there next time I’m in town.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Unbelievable

On my way to cash converters. One place I never thought of looking.

I owned one of these and loved it. The lume was insanely good.

Lovely catch and a proper bargain, beauty!

Craftsman
    Looked in today, but all smart watches.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A number of recent posters on this thread are going to be very, very disappointed.

What amazes me more is why the owner of a watch like that in that condition would sell it to this type of shop. It was a bargain because presumably they paid a low price themselves...why sell it to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    A number of recent posters on this thread are going to be very, very disappointed.
    oh right i'm with you...thats why they sold it to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Ah, that sounds troublesome.

Not an owner or previous owner of one of these but this is not good news I suspect.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    You nicked it.

Craftsman
    Doesn't sound good. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Doesn't sound good. Can you elaborate?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Sorry it's just a figure of speech meaning an incredible deal, but i can see how that may be interpreted differently given the context!

I'll be checking my local Cash Converters more often that's for sure.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 18th August 2018 at 06:36.

Master
    My all-time favourite 3-hand watch. If I had to reduce to two watches, it would be this and a Speedy Pro. If it had to be just one.............no, just too difficult.

Thanks for the thread resurrection, I still have it and its the only watch I wear on a bracelet at the moment due to being so comfortable, also as I said before it ticks every box, amazing legibility, great lume, date but not so big it takes over the dial, slightly domed crystal and a great size at 41mm.

Craftsman
    I love mine and i genuinely don't think i'll ever let it go, and it's now the longest serving member of my collection by a long stretch!

I'm suspecting from a reply previously quoted of member HM...that the seller may have at some point not have passed on the rights of the original owner...or at least having denied them of those rights on a permanent basis...all allegedly...all awaiting evidence of the prosecution as the burden is of course on them. Nice watch. Unrealistically cheap. ???????????????????Questions before the court purely ostensible and non leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I'm suspecting from a reply previously quoted of member HM...that the seller may have at some point not have passed on the rights of the original owner...or at least having denied them of those rights on a permanent basis...all allegedly...all awaiting evidence of the prosecution as the burden is of course on them. Nice watch. Unrealistically cheap. ???????????????????Questions before the court purely ostensible and non leading.
    It may well be a bargain but I wasn't going to walk away from it, it's a highstreet chain and not some backstreet deal...

Personally I think they just get their pricing wrong, they had a Speedmaster reduced also and it was hugely overpriced to the point it's laughable, this tells me they dont really research what they are selling but maybe they are more looking at a percentage profit on what they have given for the item, as long as they make that percentage then there happy??

Anyway I was happy with the transaction, it was purchased in good faith and remains a favourite in the watch box..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    I had my wedding ring stolen from a gym locker, along with a few other things. Found it for sale 2 months later in Cash Converters in Dunfermline. I informed the sales assistant that it was my ring and that it had been stolen. They had been informed of the theft by police at the time, but still took it in.

The thing is, my ring is part made of Welsh gold and is hallmarked with a dragon, which they where told about. The sales assistant even mentioned it to me that the manager had noticed the hallmark when he purchased it from the guy.
    did you get it back then?

Journeyman
    Cracking deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    saw one 2254 in the window of a big dealer in Stratford upon Avon for only 800 , went back again and that watch gone ! Most regret thing in my life

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaogouju View Post
    saw one 2254 in the window of a big dealer in Stratford upon Avon for only 800 , went back again and that watch gone ! Most regret thing in my life

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
    Most regret? I envy you.

I’m yet to find a relatively good deal on my local cash converters, a bargain is something one can only dream over here.

Congrats for the purchase.

Well that beats my deal, I thought i'd done really well having paid £100 for a mint seiko SKX009 at CC in Wigan.

That Seamaster is by far the best looking version, as their second hand values will also testify.

I don't go in them. I find them depressing places, reliquaries for broken dreams and lost ambitions.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I don't go in them. I find them depressing places, reliquaries for broken dreams and lost ambitions.
    Spot on.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Sounds like my marriage......

Blog Entries
    Went into a Cash Converter shop once about a couple of years ago, they had a nice white gold and diamond tennis bracelet in the window that I thought SWMBO would like. They were asking £1,800, I had a look at it, (enduring the evils I was getting for having my own loupe) the stones were very average and that is being kind so I asked what their best price was and was told £1,800. Ten seconds later I had got myself outside of the shop making ‘note to self’ never to bother going in one of their shops again. Bah, greedy gits, I very much doubt they paid the seller more than £700/£800 for it!

Grand Master
    But how would you know this if you don't go in them!.

They have things called windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    But how would you know this if you don't go in them!.
    David

Grand Master
    They have things called windows.
    They do indeed have "Windows".

But how does that equate to:-"I don't go in them.I find them depressing places, reliquaries for broken dreams and lost ambitions".

Surely standing outside the window looking at items for sale can't emit those feelings!......or maybe it can if that's what it does to you.

If a bargain as the one the op mentioned was in the window,I would buy and feel good with my bargain with no other thoughts,why would or should I.

Last edited by P9CLY; 1st November 2018 at 22:45.

I implied no moral superiority in my original view. It's a free country, shop in them if you like. I choose not to do so.
    David

Grand Master
    I implied no moral superiority in my original view. It's a free country, shop in them if you like. I choose not to do so.
    I wasnt having a dig,I just thought perhaps a person would have to first enter the shop to have an opinion of how it felt,as opposed to never going in the shop at all.

I actually visit cash converters and the like whenever I see them simply to look at the watches they do have,but recently the only ones on offer are the very cheaper watches typically of no interest to myself and I'd guess most on here.
    Cash converters sell all there high end watches via a third party online website,as does another pawn shop I went in last week.I asked the young lady,where have all the watches in the window gone?.

She gave me a card with I think "Est1847.co.uk" all over priced as you would expect.

I like Ramsdens in York for a browse when over that way.