closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Daytona steel alternatives...

Master

Rolex Daytona steel alternatives...

I am not in a position to buy at the moment but wondered what watches people considered when looking for one of these? My criteria would be no more than 10k, white dial, preferably date but not necessity, automatic movement, no bigger than 42mm, bracelet or leather strap. Looking at the more sporty end of the spectrum so it can be worn more for daily use with casual clothes.

I REALLY like the speed master 57 white dial with leather strap but already have an omega so looking for something else brand wise.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 25th January 2018 at 17:28.

I think it's difficult to find sport watch with white dial, that being said you could delve into some less common waters like:
    Panerai 1523

Mark XVIII White

I feel like Portugieser can be pretty sporty but lacks WR

JLC Geophysic LE Reedition or Tru Second can be pretty sporty but difficult to aquire perhaps now

Maybe something from Zenith production
    Last edited by Exiztence; 25th January 2018 at 15:49.

Master
    I am look for chronograph as I don’t currently have one and it will add some nice variety. I did look at the el primero and saw a clip on how Rolex took the movement for te daytona until recently. More digging is needed in that one I think.

What’s the view on zenith? They are not a brand I known much about at all. I’ll do some digging.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 25th January 2018 at 17:09.

I suppose by daytime you meant Daytona? Got confused there..

Master
    Oh bum! I’ll try and edit the title.

Master
    You can’t go too far wrong with a nice Rolex Explorer II Polar white dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    You can’t go too far wrong with a nice Rolex Explorer II Polar white dial.
    That was on my list but I preferred the blue pelagos when it came to crunch time.

Daytonas remain a safe place to put your money, although the entry point for s/s white dials is getting closer to £10k.

I like the IWC Portuguese pictured above - oozes quality and good taste, but what about a 16519 or 116519 Daytona - white gold on leather - what prices do they start at?

I would recommend a Zenith chronograph also. One of the older models is very similar to a Daytona except with a date.

Master
    Where does zenith sit in the grand scheme of watches? They look lovely, well made and seem to start at 5k ish and go up to 20 something. I am liking the el primero for its sporty and not dress look.

Tudor have plethora of chronos some very similar to Daytona and same movement.

IWC Portuguese chrono ( I own one ) is a very classy watch and is sturdy enough to be worn daily along . I absolutely love mine and sometimes wear it daily with casual clothes (looks great with a suit too)
    Zenith also do some lovely chronos too.

Grand Master
    I’m not a big fan of chronographs and I certainly wouldn’t choose one as an only watch, but I do own a couple as part of a collection. I recently aquired a second- hand Zenith El Primero, and that’s what I’d recommend instead of a Daytona. The El Primero is one for the purists, every collector should own one. Not the best watch to buy new because they lose value, but if you’re buying a watch to keep that doesn’t matter so much.

My El Primero’s approx 38mm with plain polished bezel, a far classier watch than the clumsy looking Daytona in my opinion. Didn’t plan to buy it, but I’m really glad I did. Makes a change from vintage Omegas. It needs a bit of TLC but I can sort that myself.

Most of the older model pre- ceramic Daytonas I see have had a lot of polishing or the bezel’s scruffy, neither of these factors sit well with me given the big prices being asked. I can’t help thinking there’s better value out there.

A nice second hand Zenith could be found for a fraction of the Daytona price, leaving plenty in the budget for another watch. To me that’s tempting.

Paul

Master
    Zenith do some interesting stuff, able to be both sporty and classic. Get an El Primero movement because of all the history.
    I know you have an Omega, but why not a second one, something quite unusual and distinct.

That's from their Museum collection, the MD 10. Solid gold, used would cost half of a steel Daytona. Every bit as good, to my tastes. As accurate as my Daytona, easier to read, and you can use the pushers while the watch is on the wrist. The screw-down pushers on the Daytona make that impractical. Yes, the Daytona holds value very well, but it's far from a perfect design.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th January 2018 at 18:49.

Grand Master
    That Omega chrono’s nice, but it would be nicer without the word co- axial on the dial!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I already own a pelagos so am looking for a different brand for more variety.

Craftsman
    The El Primero movement is highly rated and one of the best imo. Zenith has a lot of history behind it as a brand. Very happy with Mk1 De Luca and cost rather less than £5k

Master
    I see the inner of the zenith leather strap is rubberised. Does this make it pretty good from a sweat resistance perspective?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That Omega chrono’s nice, but it would be nicer without the word co- axial on the dial!

Paul
    Agreed . Omega claim it derives from a 1938 design, but in truth it seems an amalgam of several Omega watches from that period. None of which could have featured 'coaxial ' on the dial.
    If I were the OP I would look for a used Zenith, taking depreciation out of the equation. The El Primero stuff has a great lineage.

Blog Entries
    A zenith Daytona Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Better than a non EP Daytona IMHO

Apprentice

I know it is not in the same category, but you get the white dial, the chronograph with screw-down pushers and the ceramic bezel on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Having looked again at the Daytona, Speedmaster 57 titanium and El primero open and chronomaster the zenith watches are leading the way on looks.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 25th January 2018 at 20:08.

Craftsman
    Have you considered the breitling navitimer? Also the Heuer autavia re-release

Craftsman

Oh and GP just released a new chronograph that you could look at

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Have you considered the breitling navitimer? Also the Heuer autavia re-release
    I’ll have a look at those...

Quote Originally Posted by elmiperru View Post

I know it is not in the same category, but you get the white dial, the chronograph with screw-down pushers and the ceramic bezel on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really wanted one. Then I saw the ridiculous pricing strategy for European customers and thought better of it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I gave up waiting for my Daytona, and am now totally smitten by this... meets all your criteria, I'd say.

Rolex Daytona steel alternatives...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    The fastriders have (or had) a 7750 movement.

I’m not sure about the newer Tudors but I’d be surprised if they had a Daytona movement in them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I’m not sure about the newer Tudors but I’d be surprised if they had a Daytona movement in them.
    Heritage chrono is an eta base with a modular 3rd party chrono and the new black bay has the joint movement developed with breitling.

So no daytona movements, to my knowledge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I gave up waiting for my Daytona, and am now totally smitten by this... meets all your criteria, I'd say.

Except price I imagine? Beautiful watch. Just looked...27k... lol
    Last edited by Stuno1; 25th January 2018 at 21:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I am look for chronograph as I don’t currently have one and it will add some nice variety. I did look at the el primero and saw a clip on how Rolex took the movement for te daytona until recently. More digging is needed in that one I think.

What’s the view on zenith? They are not a brand I known much about at all. I’ll do some digging.
    Not that recently, Rolex stopped using a modified El Primero movement when they developed their own in-house unit in 2000, 18 years ago

Master

Except price I imagine? Beautiful watch. Just looked...27k... lol
    That’s the older 40mm version, which was discontinued a few years ago. If you can find one they’ll be under 10k second hand.

I used to have one, and never understood why S/H they cost less than an equivalent Daytona.
    One of the holy trinity
    Better movement finishing
    Better case and bracelet finishing
    Dual window date
    Rarer

Yet the Daytona cost more, demand I guess

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That’s the older 40mm version, which was discontinued a few years ago. If you can find one they’ll be under 10k second hand.

I used to have one, and never understood why S/H they cost less than an equivalent Daytona.
    One of the holy trinity
    Dual window date
    Rarer

^^^ Wot he said!

Master
    ^^^ Wot he said!
    Did you get yours from watches-dot-co-uk by any chance?

Master

One of the holy trinity
    Dual window date
    Rarer

Ah ok. That’s a hell of a price drop in a couple of years for this brand? Ok so would just be a case of seeing if one crops up when the time comes.

Master
    Ah ok. That’s a hell of a price drop in a couple of years for this brand? Ok so would just be a case of seeing if one crops up when the time comes.
    It’s more than a couple of years, I had mine over a decade ago then it was 5/6 years old and the 40mm was replaced with the 42mm model around 2008/2009 iirc
    Last edited by nunya; 25th January 2018 at 22:33.

It’s more than a couple of years, I had mine over a decade ago then it was 5/6 years old and the 40mm was replaced with the 42mm model around 2008/2009 iirc
    This one is from 2001, albeit newly serviced by VC. There are a reasonable number around, though, and even with a service it should be well within budget (say, £8k or thereabouts).

Master
    One option might be to find the old white dial Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Chronograph, saving about 3/4 of your budget. It wore very well and felt like their Daytona alternative at the time. Then spend the change on a second generation Overseas (three hander).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

All the Daytona style Tudors (79280 for the steel bezel model) had the 7750 movement (as did the Big Blocks - similar look but different style case to the Daytona with flat sides). The sub dial layout is different to the Daytona and these watches also feature the date at the 3 o'clock position. They are great watches though. Love mine.
    Last edited by tsunami; 26th January 2018 at 10:19.

I honestly think that the new limited edition 150th anniversary Portugieser is good value:
    https://www.iwc.com/en/watch-collect...50-years-.html

You get inhouse limited edition lacquer dial but still in 41mm case, if I had any grudge against regular Portugieser that it's expensive for stripped down 7750, this is trully amazing, and it's only 500eur more expensive than regular version

Just to echo some of the other comments above, a Chronomaster with the El Primero movement (but with a date) would be a lovely - and cost-effective alternative... I love wearing both that I’ve suggested.

Master
    Why is the exposed el primero 2k more than the one with the three colours and date? The date one has added complication? Both are steel on leather as well.

Master
    After looking at all of these watches I think the Daytona steel with white dial and a rubber strap from Rolex is the answer. Reasons being:

- It’s the watch I really would like when the time comes and anything else would feel a bit disappointing.
    - It’s the perfect thickness and diameter.
    - It will work for smart occasions on the bracelet and more casual use in the rubber strap.
    - The pushers are screw down unlike many alternatives so extra security from water ingress.
    - It is timeless looks wise so no fear of it looking dated in years to come.
    - If i did ever have to realise some cash this would hold value very well.

The one consesssin is no date complication but I can live with that.

From what I am reading it’s a 3 year waiting list... lol. Naively I thought it was 18 months. Thank you for all of the posts and help.

Craftsman
    3 years? Sign me up.... Over here it's >6 years and the lists are closed

Master
    The truth is, no three-year commitment can be relied on. Too many variables, too fickle dealers. They sell to who they want to, whatever they tell you now. After all, it's a business. You may get lucky, you may not......my own feeling is that life's too short for this sort of thing.
    In the end, after all that wait, you may quickly find it is just another good-quality watch, nothing more, nothing less.
    Re the screw-down pushers; they are not there to improve water-resistance.
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th January 2018 at 19:04.

Journeyman

- - - Updated - - -

What's the model no for that one? Stunning watch!

How about one of these, less common than all the others I reckon

Apprentice

Zenith De Luca

Where does zenith sit in the grand scheme of watches? They look lovely, well made and seem to start at 5k ish and go up to 20 something. I am liking the el primero for its sporty and not dress look.
    Probably a bit late with this one, but how about a Zenith De Luca?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    How about one of these, less common than all the others I reckon

Another vote for the 116680. Got one this year and it is fabulous. Absolutely so . WG hands not the most easily read tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk