closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Collecting modern coins

Collecting modern coins

My partner started collecting the Peter rabbit 50p's for our son when she noticed them in her change. Since then (6 months ago) we have collected assorts of modern coins in various denominations. What should we look out for and does anyone else her collect?

Craftsman
    What ever takes your fancy or what you like. Do it for the soul.

You won't make money so do it for the fun.

I collect coins that depict the Mary Rose. I like the Mary Rose so enjoy it. One of my favourites is a silver Guernsey Mint £5 coin. Worth what ever the price of silver is never really any more or less so don't do it to make money but for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    What ever takes your fancy or what you like. Do it for the soul.

You won't make money so do it for the fun.

I collect coins that depict the Mary Rose. I like the Mary Rose so enjoy it. One of my favourites is a silver Guernsey Mint £5 coin. Worth what ever the price of silver is never really any more or less so don't do it to make money but for fun.
    Defiantly not looking to make money just interested in what might be in my change. Is it mainly the 50p's to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Defiantly not looking to make money just interested in what might be in my change. Is it mainly the 50p's to look for?
    £2 coins also have some interesting designs and a certain collectability. I collect those that I get in my change an have quite a collection. As previously said, I won’t make money, but an interesting way to save some pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by joeytheghost View Post
    £2 coins also have some interesting designs and a certain collectability. I collect those that I get in my change an have quite a collection. As previously said, I won’t make money, but an interesting way to save some pennies.
    I'm the same, I collect those I get in my change.

The canteen at work used to be great, as they'd keep them for me, until it went cashless.

I've got almost all of the Olympics 50p collection and pretty much all the 50ps since. No Kew Gardens though unfortunately... my wife spent it and only realised later.

Old £1 coins used to be good, and as mentioned £2 coins have lots of different designs - and a lot I'm missing by a quick search.

I'm not sure what the face value of everything I have is now, probably nearing £75.

Master
    Yeah same old same, the commemorative 50p and £2 coins. Absolutely daft really because as stated most of them are only worth face value, it's just a bit of fun collecting sets. I also have a few silver "proof" 50p coins and royal mint sets, not hugely valuable but nice things to have - I do love silver coins.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Here you go...lots of info

You can get Royal Mint Collectors albums to put the coins into.

Potentially rarer than the Kew Gardens 50p is the Sir Issac Newton which won’t be in general circulation but can be minted by yourself if you visit the Royal Mint visitors centre https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-...your-own-coin/

I’ve been collecting 50p’s and £2 coins for last 15 years. Most come from my change but I have bought a few off eBay to fill the odd gap. There are often piedfort (double thickness and in pure silver) versions of most issues coins. Silver Britannia’s are also quite nice and can be bought online for half the price the Royal Mint charges.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are sorting my late brothers collection his stamp and coin collection is vast. He has been buying off those people you see in the papers Westminster Mint and the like. He has spent £thousands and more then likely the whole lot is worth jack now. As said the silver ones are what ever silver is worth and thats where they are going. The gold and silver plated commemorative ones we are just going to sell as a job lot. If you are going to collect just do it for the love of it.

I've loads of the themed 50p's and £2 coins, Also have three single colour £2 coins from the 1980's, Anyone else have any?

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    We are sorting my late brothers collection his stamp and coin collection is vast. He has been buying off those people you see in the papers Westminster Mint and the like. He has spent £thousands and more then likely the whole lot is worth jack now. As said the silver ones are what ever silver is worth and thats where they are going. The gold and silver plated commemorative ones we are just going to sell as a job lot. If you are going to collect just do it for the love of it.
    I recently inherited a number of stamps and took some time looking through them. I don't suppose many of mine are worth much but they are really quite interesting as a way of judging fashion over the years for instance. In fact, I liked them enough that it may have piqued an interest in them as a collectable item (I used to collect stamps as a child).

As for coins, my daughter collects 50p's. We don't go out of our way to collect them, but she loves looking through spare change to see if there's something new in there. I strongly suspect she will inadvertently spend them all one day at face value, but for the time being, it's good to see her interested in collecting/searching things out.

Craftsman
    This is as good a place to ask as any...

We are off to the USA next week. One of the items (well two actually) i'm taking over as gifts are a Darwin £2 coin and a Darwin £10 note. I'm on the lookout for some sort of display case/cases.
    I've never dipped my toe into this area before so any tips & pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Craftsman
    I too have been collecting them and have accumulated a bag of doubles, maybe we could swap or happy to sell them on, although there’s no Jemima puddle ducks or Kew Gardens in there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have also bought a reasonable number of the limited edition silver enamelled ones, just because they are nice not particularly because they are worth anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Have a look at Changechecker.org