closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Japan

Going to Japan

Two weeks in February. Was a very spontaneous decision with no preparation so far, but hoping to make the most of it.

Planning the trip now. Please share experience and feedback. Big thanks in advance.

Watching with keen interest...

Into fountain pens? Because it's ground zero for the best stuff on the planet!

Not really no, but good to know.

Check my thread as well a few years back

Will do. Cheers.

A trip on the Bullet train
    A couple of hours in a pachinko palace
    Kobe steak
    Go see a top Japanese drum troupe - (Kodo, Wakkaido etc)
    Hiroshima Peace park

Craftsman
    Get a rail pass if you are going to travel on the bullet train, a return to Kyoto pays for the pass easily and you can go somewhere else for 'free'.

Hotels are expensive, very expensive. Go Airbnb as it is less than half the cost. Find one that will give you or rent you a portable WiFi device, you won't be using your roaming out there as the cost is insane.
    Or hire one at the airport.

If flying to Tokyo Haneda is quick and easy, Narita is a bit of a journey.

Expect to have your mind blown. I love the place but luckily I go their twice a year.

Was there last new year with my wife and 2 kids (8 & 10). Found the people to be very polite. Get a Japan Rail Pass as it pays for itself. We caught a bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto which as mentioned, is nearly the same price as the pass. Stay in a ryokan for a few nights and visit a bath house or stay in a hotel with a bath house. Fantastic train service. The shopping mall under Tokyo station is huge. Eating out can be interesting. Hotels can be expensive and rooms are compact. The hi-tech toilets are amazing. We’re planning on going back for Olympics.

Going to Japan

Haneda yes. Can I buy two week train pass which covers the “national” rail network as well?

About the wifi, I think Vodafone will only charge £5 a day to use my UK plan.

Craftsman
    Never been but Japan is meant to have the best powder skiing in the world. If you're into skiing at all then you need to give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Japan Rail Pass (JRP) has to be bought outside of the country and before you arrive. There are several train operators and the JRP will cover some of the local/national lines and services. We bought our JRP from a company called Japan Rail Pass Japan Experience. Whoever you buy it from will be able to tell you more about the companies that accept it. We picked our passes up at the airport and used it for the transfer into Tokyo. The subway around Tokyo is cheap.

Thanks for info. Appreciate advice.

RailPass covers JR trains, buses and ferry except two of the Shinkansen trains. Also some private lines.
    There are a all of japan pass and also regional passes, see what fits your needs. Some of the passes can be bought online or in Japan but most common is to buy exchange order at home and change when in Japan.
    See webpage: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html
    Also if you'll just make a trip or two by train might not be worth it.
    On http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ you can make trip searches, it will also give you the price. (there's also an app)

As an alternative to renting WiFi device there are pre paid data only sim cards (non residents are not trusted with speech) for sale at airports and big electronic shops as BIC and Yodobashi. (don't forget they have watches too!)

My two main rules: Good walking shoes and always carry extra shirt and onsen/sento kit.

Where are you planning on going?

It’s been a long time since I was there (2002) but the thing that surprised me was the number of people who spoke no English at all and the lack of English writing on any of the signage. Thankfully the people are fantastically welcoming and so helpful that I managed to overcome both of those things. It’s a very long flight so be sure to factor in a chilled out day for your arrival if you can.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went earlier this year.

A lot of airlines don’t fly in and out of the same airport in Tokyo.

Food is amazing, Tokyo bananas are addictive, especially the giraffe print caramel ones.
    Mount Fuji is a day trip on the bus from Tokyo, don’t stay over in the off. Season as not much to do.
    Kagaya bar is properly random
    Check where you want to visit as a JRT pass may not be cheaper. There are a few websites with a calculator that works it out for you.
    Try and go when sumo is on.
    GoldenGai is a good way to chat to some locals.
    Buy some Japanese denim in Ueno, have a beer whilst they chain stitch it properly to the right length.
    Hit the fish market early
    Seiko museum
    Plum wine
    Sake
    Beer (ybisu is my fav)
    Takoyaki is a great snack

Internal flights are cheap

Osaka is worth a trip for the full on blade runner lights

There are quite a few free wi if hot spots now.

Kyoto

Bamboo forest
    Gion for geisha sporting and isakayas
    Walk up the hill through all the gates
    Nishiki market
    The station is impressive
    Pontocho has a great Rolling Stones bar
    Fire ramen
    Stay in a ryokan

Okinawa

Completely different avoid the American village.

I've been twice: in 1997 and 2012. The first time was the best and I bought a RailPass here before I went - I would really recommend it. I was able to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Nagano, spending a day in each city. Kyoto is very much traditional Japan with the beautiful golden and silver temples but in the evening everything is very quiet. Hiroshima is a beautiful place - I went to the A Bomb Museum and it was pretty emotional to see the after effects of what happened. As I travelled west (I went in November) it became warmer and warmer and by the time I reached Nagasaki it was virtually t-shirt weather. I stayed in a traditional minshuku - Nagasaki is very cosmopolitan with a large Chinese community and also many people from Holland. Again, a lovely place to visit. I wasn't in Nagano very long and was a bit too early to see the autumn blossoms and colours.

I also stayed in Tokyo with a friend - it's busy but organised and you have to visit the huge department stores. I'd also recommend okonomiyaki which is delicious. You'll find Japan very safe and clean in general, and people very polite.

If you're going to Tokyo, it's worth getting the local commuter train out to Nikko to see the wonderful temples there. Lovely little town that.
    Make sure to pop into a 7-eleven for a strawberries and cream sandwich.
    Akihabarra district in Tokyo is good for buying G-Shock and Orient.
    Very jealous

Master
    Omiya Bonsai Village. I've been growing bonsai for years and plan to visit Japan soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    It’s been a long time since I was there (2002) but the thing that surprised me was the number of people who spoke no English at all and the lack of English writing on any of the signage. Thankfully the people are fantastically welcoming and so helpful that I managed to overcome both of those things. It’s a very long flight so be sure to factor in a chilled out day for your arrival if you can.

That's a strange one. When I used to go there (1976-1983) we used to get approached by students wanting to practice English.

I remember getting on the commuter train in Nagoya port to go up to the city, sat down and then thought: "It might have been a good idea to remember the name of the station I got on at!"

Anyway - next station, I memorised the name as if my life depended upon it - The pronounced name in English was written below the Japanese script. I remember it to this day - "Rokubancho". In Nagoya city - I got on the train for Rokubancho and stayed on for a further stop.

Some great times there, some of them cultural.

Been to the Hiroshima Peace Park a couple of times - look out for the huge rock, hewn from Ben Nevis - in the gardens.
    Last edited by blackal; 22nd January 2018 at 00:21.

Can you still buy used pants from a vending machine?

Kobe beef is a must if your into your food.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Kobe beef is a must if your into your food.
    Even better but a touch on the dear side is otoro sushi.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

So many lovey and genuine responses here, reading through is making me want to visit Japan myself. I have nothing to offer except have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Even better but a touch on the dear side is otoro sushi.
    Never been a huge fan, but the Tsukiji fish market is well worth a visit if sushi is your thing and you can brave a early morning wake up.

Many thanks for useful and interesting info chaps. Please share more!

Blog Entries
    I’ve only been to Tokyo and it remains my favourite city on the planet…. It’s like you’ve stepped on to the set of blade runner

Go for a drink at the top of the Park Hyatt (I stayed there)

Go to the fish market and eat the best Sushi of your life…. It’s still wibbling and wobbling on your plate

Go the Bluenote if they have something good on…. Cool venue (I had front row table for Chic)

Budget for a ceremonial meal…. £150 to £200 a head, but, one of the most amazing experiences and one of the finest meals I’ve ever had

Go and get yourself a luck charm in the big park

Can't offer any travel advice but its somewhere that I have wanted to go for a long time. Have a good'un!

Can I give you a list of Seiko's to bring back?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

List is closed already :)

Master
    I’ve only been to Tokyo, which was fantastic. Personally, I’m not a fan of sushi but the beef is biblical. Plenty of watch shops, even some dedicated to vintage Swiss watches, however, bargain Swiss watches whether vintage or modern, do not exist in Tokyo. The most polite people I’ve ever met, I’d love to go back and see rural Japan at some point.

Craftsman
    Hyperdia.com is very useful for train timetables and planning.

Didn’t see any watch bargains, but did see speedmaster tintin for ¥354 k (about £2.3k + vat)
    http://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001002322011/

Craftsman
    Food wise I would recommend:

Not expensive and lots of pictures on the menu, but great fish at a sensible price. It's a chain and they even have one on the top floor of yodobashi akiba.
    http://www.daisyo.co.jp/whatsnew/new...kai/index.html

If you like beer then:
    Devil craft is Japanese craft beer and some American craft beer too. All micro brews and really good. The pizza is also amazing, but book, all the branches get busy
    http://en.devilcraft.jp

Same with Craft Beer Market, but the lamb chops are great.
    http://www.craftbeermarket.jp

If you want a cheap slightly boozy meal with the best chicken wings you have ever eaten then go to Yamachan, Google map Search to find your nearest. Order twice as many chicken wings as you think you can eat and a pitcher of ginga kogen beer. Best combo in the world.

The other thing I would say is go with a sense of adventure. We had never been anywhere outside of the western world before we visited Japan and it was a fantastic culture shock. When you don’t speak the language and can’t read it, ordering food is brilliant fun. Plenty of people speak a little English and will be happy to help. For a country that makes cars and is a world leader in technology, I couldn’t believe some of the taxis, big Toyota sedans with lace seat coverings!

The other thing we found impressive, was the very low levels of obesity. As a nation, we could learn a lot from the Japanese regarding healthy eating. Fantastic country with welcoming respectful people. Parts of Tokyo are sensory overload and other parts like the temples are so peaceful.

Craftsman
    Also, if you're travelling independently consider using a luggage forwarding service. These seem to be the main ones:
    http://www.global-yamato.com/en/hands-free-travel/
    We started in Kyoto & finished in Tokyo. For the travel days inbetween we carried small bags & forwarded our main suitcase to our hotel +2/3 days.
    All the hotels seem to use them, so it was a reception to reception delivery & the hotel staff handled the forms & payment details.
    approx. £10-15 per delivery depending on distance. Same day or day +1 may be more difficult/expensive.

^
    I did see similar service on the NHK channel. Thanks

Craftsman
    As an alternative, or in addition to the renowned Kobe beef it is worth seeking out the lesser known Hida beef, it is also excellent. It is the specialty of a town called Takayama, which is worth a visit in it's own right, west of Tokyo.

A trip out to Nikko for the day has already been mentioned, but I'll second that as an antidote to the hustle and bustle of Tokyo.

What about a night at the Hotel New Otani in Chiyoda-ku, it was used as the baddie's headquarters in You Only Live Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    As an alternative, or in addition to the renowned Kobe beef it is worth seeking out the lesser known Hida beef, it is also excellent. It is the specialty of a town called Takayama, which is worth a visit in it's own right, west of Tokyo.
    Definitely. Loved it there, fantastic beef.

Master
    Guy I sit next to in work went last August. Nearly everything he says now starts with "When we were in Japan..." I can't wait to leave this job in 4 weeks.

Is it true about cash being the preferred payment method in many places? I wasn't planning to carry much.

Generally in restaurants, esp the small family-run places, cash was the only payment method. Everywhere else takes cards - take your Revolut card and if you don't have one, get one before you go.

Personally I found Osaka pretty dull, Kyoto on the other hand was immense. In Tokyo we literally just opened the guide book and chose an area to explore. Ueno district, to my mind, was more Blade Runner than Osaka, esp under the train tracks.

Ghibli museum is on the most fantastical experiences, even if you don't like or know the films. If you do, it's heaven.

Too late for Revolut card as I am leaving on Wednesday. Amex exchange rates are very good if card accepted.

Craftsman
    Cards are now accepted in some places, but cash is king. Take lots of cash. The only cash machines you can easily use are in the 7/11 stores. So not easy to get more cash out unless you are in Tokyo or know where the nearest is.

The places set up for mostly cards are tourist traps so avoid. The Japanese always use cash and never use cards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Too late for Revolut card as I am leaving on Wednesday.
    You're probably right but mine came within a few days with the 'normal' service and I think you could pay for expedited delivery.

Is it true about cash being the preferred payment method in many places? I wasn't planning to carry much.
    Guess it somewhat depends on how you travel and where you go but Yes, cash is the preferred mode of payment.
    I used card mostly for hotels (smaller places, Ryokans and so might not take card) and some department store purchases. Then make few larger withdraws.
    So large (for me) sums in the wallet while here in Sweden I don't think I have payed anything cash since November if even then!

For withdraws the post office is your best bet, look for the double roofed T. First time there 'no' other ATM accepted foreign cards, I think 7-eleven is ok now but I have defaulted to the post.
    Saw now they have an app for finding their ATMs

If you exchange before you go make sure they don't give you all ¥2000 notes. Thats what I got last time and it seems they are hardly used. Luckily I only exchanged for the first few days in Japan.
    I could not use them in wending machine for pre-paid card at air port (or any other for drinks, sento etc), some guy seemed not to want them and one commented 'long time no see'.

Regarding the luggage forwarding service. I travel light and have no use for it but I talked to a couple that used it and found it working great. If you can't pick up & drop off at your hotel I remember seeing their service desk at a few train stations for example. Also I recall someone mentioning their or similar service through convenience stores, but that might have been in Taiwan.

Where you going? if you need any last minute tips

Thanks for info!

We land in Tokyo Thursday morning. No idea where to stay yet (more tips highly appreciated).

Only thing I managed to sort so far, was the 14 days Japan Rail Pass. Hope this covers most lines. Do I need separate tickets for Tokyo transport?
    Vodafone lets me use my UK plan for £6 a day. Slightly more expensive than unlimited pocket wifi, but with calling as well, so not too bad I guess.

After Tokyo we are probably going North, then Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Himeji, Nara & Nikko.
    Do you think we can make to Okinawa as well?

Then back to Tokyo to buy watches :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Guess it somewhat depends on how you travel and where you go but Yes, cash is the preferred mode of payment.
    I used card mostly for hotels (smaller places, Ryokans and so might not take card) and some department store purchases. Then make few larger withdraws.
    So large (for me) sums in the wallet while here in Sweden I don't think I have payed anything cash since November if even then!

For withdraws the post office is your best bet, look for the double roofed T. First time there 'no' other ATM accepted foreign cards, I think 7-eleven is ok now but I have defaulted to the post.

If you exchange before you go make sure they don't give you all ¥2000 notes. Thats what I got last time and it seems they are hardly used. Luckily I only exchanged for the first few days in Japan.
    I could not use them in wending machine for pre-paid card at air port (or any other for drinks, sento etc), some guy seemed not to want them and one commented 'long time no see'.

Regarding the luggage forwarding service. I travel light and have no use for it but I talked to a couple that used it and found it working great. If you can't pick up & drop off at your hotel I remember seeing their service desk at a few train stations for example. Also I recall someone mentioning their or similar service through convenience stores, but that might have been in Taiwan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post

All 7/11 offer atm for foreigners now. Like you say big department stores and hotels ok, otherwise cash.

Much local transport is private and will not be covered by the JR pass.
    There are prepaid cards that might be worth a look, I have not used them but similar in Taiwan made things easier.
    here here

Haven't been to Tokyo, dauntingly big.
    Seems you have plenty of traveling planned already, myself I would not add Okinawa to that as well. Have not been but hope to in the future.

Re watch shopping; in Osaka there are a good few used watch shops in and around the arcades around Namba station north of Dotonbori and the Glico man.

For Kyoto I think Fushimi Inari Shrine would be special in winter, from the torii path behind you can also take back paths and residential streets to Tofukuji, but that might be tricky if snow and mud.
    If you go to the western parts and Arashiyama there's Tenzan no Yu onsen just of the 5th stop on the tram line going back, and the foods good! Good relax after a day on your feet.

Have a great time!

Thanks for info!

We land in Tokyo Thursday morning. No idea where to stay yet (more tips highly appreciated).

Only thing I managed to sort so far, was the 14 days Japan Rail Pass. Hope this covers most lines. Do I need separate tickets for Tokyo transport?
    Vodafone lets me use my UK plan for £6 a day. Slightly more expensive than unlimited pocket wifi, but with calling as well, so not too bad I guess.

After Tokyo we are probably going North, then Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Himeji, Nara & Nikko.
    Do you think we can make to Okinawa as well?

Then back to Tokyo to buy watches :)

Craftsman
    Enjoy the trip, hope to return someday.