closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1970s W10 from EBay

Journeyman

1970s W10 from EBay

Hi all, My father in law is turning 60 soon and I wanted to get him something special as he’s been invaluable at times for my wife and I. Being ex-army, he recently told me he would love a G10 military watch from the 1970s but I do t think he’d ever buy one for himself.

I have done a little research and think that these are actually called (or the spec is called) W10 but G10 was the nickname given by soldiers due to from where they were issued. Is this correct?

Also, if I’m looking to buy one, would eBay be a good place to look or will I be likely to buy some franken monstrosity? Where would be the best place to find one in the next month or so?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The watches were issued to all three branches of the armed forces and were stamped with a different code depending on the branch. The army watches were stamped with W10, I can't remember and don't care what the other branches were stamped with.

My watch came from eBay but from a respected seller (can't remember the name... sorry, but I'm sure someone else will chip in with a likely candidate) and appears perfectly fine to me but is much younger than a watch from the 70s. I guess as these things get older the chances of it being Franken are a bit bigger but maybe not such a problem if it's cobbled together from original bits.

You'll be looking at a Smiths W10 then, 1970 was the last year of issue, great watches and the magical 'Made in England' on the dial .Put a wtb on here and MWR if youre a member and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    You'll be looking at a Smiths W10 then, 1970 was the last year of issue, great watches and the magical 'Made in England' on the dial .Put a wtb on here and MWR if youre a member and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.
    Actually I think he wants the CWC from 1970s ideally, which I believe was produced throughout the decade. Is there any difference between that and a smiths or Hamilton from that era?

1970s W10 from EBay

Just FYI:

A 1970 Smiths went on MWR at the end of December for €750. I thought that was a good price in today’s market.

There is a 1973 Hamilton available for £425. Seems toppy to me, but I don’t know today’s market. The Hamilton was a £200 +/- £50 when I had one.

ps perhaps £425 isn’t bad having checked Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2018 at 12:50.

1970s W10 from EBay

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Actually I think he wants the CWC from 1970s ideally, which I believe was produced throughout the decade. Is there any difference between that and a smiths or Hamilton from that era?

The Smiths is a traditional round case. Quality item. The 1970s Hamilton is a more economical item and has a sort of cushion case which flowed through in to the design of the CWC. The Hamilton and early CWC look identical.

3 Hamilton’s on Ebay £400+
    2 70s CWCs
    1 Smiths

I think Ebay is okay but would try WTB here and on MWR.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2018 at 11:22.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

I think Ebay is okay but would try WTB here and on MWR.

Still not enough posts for a WTB....

Thanks so much for the input. I think I might try to find a smiths, had a look and the design is just more classic and timeless. Though they are around double the price...

Might be worth dropping RevO a PM to see if he's aware of any W10s available, he's usually got his ear to the ground with all things Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Might be worth dropping RevO a PM to see if he's aware of any W10s available, he's usually got his ear to the ground with all things Smiths.
    Good idea.

The one on Ebay looks like someone has tried to grind the identification marks off the case back.

I think that a WTB can still be posted on MWR, a user just needs to be registered. I’m not dead sure though.

And there's MrH on MWR who had a stash - a very big stash! Be worthwhile sending him a message of the pm function works.

One of the important points to note is to avoid all things MWC but I'm pretty sure that you're heading in the right direction already.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Coincidentally ive just seen an Hamilton W10 at a dealers,he wants £485 but he said he would accept £450.Imo £450 is about where it should be.

Journeyman
    There is a chap selling CWC W10 for £495 and Hamilton W10 for £595. You can try to make him an offer.
    To be honest , these cases are "Tonneau" shaped case. I am tempting to get one too but not sure if it works on the wrist.