closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REVIEW - Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

Threaded View

Blog Entries

REVIEW - Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

I know there have been some reviews done of this watch. But now I have been living with mine for a while I thought I'd give my impressions.

Introduction

As some may already know it was named after the depth rating of the earlier models - but is a misnomer as it has a wrt of 300m/1000ft rather than the 91m equivalent of 50 fathoms. (A fathom being 6ft in depth). I think it was made famous by the diver Jacque Cousteau when he wore it in his dives.

My Thoughts

It is an impressive watch with very easy to read dial and the sapphire covered bezel with all luminous markers is the trademark of this watch. Not small measuring 45mm diameter - and with that wide bezel it is no wall-flower. The domed sapphire crystal and equally domed sapphire over the bezel makes it superb to gaze at. The sword hands are lumed and applied lumed markers and even the second hand - with it's catch of red tip, is lumed. So if you ever walk into a dark room from being sunlit outside - the whole face lights up with the bezel markers and marker Arabic numbers.

CROWN

The crown is super smooth with large knurled finish makes it easy to turn and with a screw down crown with assuring gasket visible and crown guards - shows it's dive pedigree.

BRACELET

The bracelet is superbly built with butterfly deployant strongly sprung and with an additional folder over - makes for an integrated look and feel - there is no bulky pieces sticking out to be marked on desks. This bracelet is the reverse of some - being brushed centre links and polished outer. It does not have any micro adjustment though it does have 1/2links - this is a bit of a pain (to say the least) but now the super hot weather is over I have it set so it is comfortable. I had it on the provided sail-cloth strap - after buying the 0.9mm alan-keys off eBay for peanuts needed to change the strap / bracelet.

CASE

The case is highly polished with no hard edges - with the case profile matching the profile of the bezel e.g. rounded. It fits like a glove to my wrist and with the lugs having a downward profile it means this large watch fits ok on my 6 and 3/4 wrist (with a fairly flat wrist).

PICTURES

RECOMMEND?

Recommended if you enjoy something out of the ordinary, large watch, bold, may not suit the smaller wrist
    Value for money: Difficult to say - it is an expensive watch but can be picked up second hand at reasonable prices - some have sold here at way under market value (IMHO). There is a 38mm LE version from Basel this year - which may suit, hopefully Blancpain may bring out a smaller unlimited edition if the LE is a success - which it seems to be.

Also comes in blue and now in Ti case so would be lighter.

Would I buy again: Yes
    Will I sell: Don't ask any forum member that and expect a straight answer!

All the best guys.

Martyn

E&O excepted.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th January 2018 at 00:36.