closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1803

Thread: Formula 1 2018

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Way too much grip. When eau rouge becomes somewhere to get a tow, the cars have gone too far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Its not really mechanical grip, its way to much down force. with the aero they are running you could probably go through Eau Rouge quickly with crossplys on.

Let's turn our attention to Monza, and the prospects for this weekend.

Mercedes seem to be getting their excuses in early, telling everybody who is prepared to listen, and many who aren't, that Ferrari now have a faster car. Which certainly seems to be the case in dry, warm conditions, as the Mercedes seems to overheat its rear tyres unless the track is cool and/or wet. Lack of traction out of slow corners, a trait shared with its predecessor, appears to be the cause of the problem, hence their preference for slightly harder tyre compounds:

Although McLaren seem to prefer the harder compounds far more than anybody else.

Monza is all about having a car with a high top speed that behaves itself under intense braking, examined here: https://www.pitpass.com/62751/Techni...ing-the-brakes

There's plenty of off-track rumour and intrigue, centred around the lower end of the food chain. Artem Markelov and his Russian sponsors seem to be attractive to Williams: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-williams-seat which would give them an all-Russian driver lineup for 2019, while the sale of Force India by the Administrators has come in for some legal scrutiny: https://www.pitpass.com/62686/Force-...egal-challenge
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Good info Sir.

Yes, I am certainly looking forward to Monza!

Interesting VET only takes one soft set with him. I would not totally write Merc off this weekend. They completely dominated last year, but yes if I was to put money on it, Ferrari should be quicker this year.

Master
    Reading the PitPass article it sounds like some under the table dealings went on between FRP and Lawrence Strolls consortium.

I read somewhere else that Uralkali felt that the administrators did everything possible to accommodate the Stroll consortium and felt that the process was not fair and were considering legal action.
    This one could get interesting, in the UK administrators and insolvency practitioner's do seem to think that they can do as they please and are bulletproof, it will be interesting to see if the threat gets followed through.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    If anything I think that Gasly's move away from TR increases the chances of Hartley staying, this will allow some stability as well as one season to the next Honda feedback within the team - two new drivers won't be able to provide that.

Who will take Gasly's place though? Vandorne is a possibility however TR/RB aren't known for taking someone else's seconds, Sainz is accounted for and I don't think that they have another junior driver who is able to step up. Hartley was recalled back to the TR fold, what are the odds on another ex-driver getting a 'phone call from Marko?

Edit to add that this is all looking like only two teams will retain the same line-up for next season, though that's based on Kimi staying at Ferrari. Sauber and Haas may remain the same however there's a reasonable chance they won't.
    Well I never. Not a done deal however there's reasonable probability.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/k...turn-/3167919/

Master
    So a very wet P1, could shake things up if the weather stays bad into tomorrow.

Has anyone used the F1 TV App yet? I'm thinking of binning my TV licence and Sky, but I want a method to watch F1.

All views good and bad welcome.

Cheers.

Well done Kimi, Vettel not a happy bunny

Without a contract for next year will Kimi move over?? This could be his last opportunity to win a Grand Prix
    Last edited by adrianw; 1st September 2018 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Without a contract for next year will Kimi move over?? This could be his last opportunity to win a Grand Prix
    If he doesn't move over we will know he has been told that he won't be at Ferrari next year.

I missed quali unfortunately, a shame as it sounds like it was a bit of a corker.

With regards to Kimi being instructed to move over, this article suggests that this may not be the case. Unless Vettel has been taking acting lessons recently the article rings true - why would the German genuinely appear to have the hump if he already knows that his teammate will be playing second fiddle? Of course, if Vettel does get past Raikkonen at the start or near after there'll be calls of team orders, especially so as that would place the Finn directly in the rear gunner position in front of Hamilton.

I won't be watching the race live and will be doing my upmost to stay away from all media until later that evening, it could be a great race.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/v...169264/?nrt=54

Master
    Will be an interesting start today. If VET does not get past RAI, I think they will pull VET in first and allow him to undercut.

Well done Kimi, Vettel not a happy bunny

I imagine Kimi will pull over if asked even if he doesn't have a drive next year, simply because I am sure Kimi will still have a role at Ferrari even if it's just as a "brand Ambassador". All expenses paid trips to F1 races (poss for life) sounds like a good deal to me.

But very funny if Vettel gets all excited, and tries a repeat of Singapore.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I imagine Kimi will pull over if asked even if he doesn't have a drive next year, simply because I am sure Kimi will still have a role at Ferrari even if it's just as a "brand Ambassador". All expenses paid trips to F1 races (poss for life) sounds like a good deal to me.

But very funny if Vettel gets all excited, and tries a repeat of Singapore.
    Kimi has a net worth of approx $200 million. I don’t think free trips to Grand Prix events are going to be in his mind if he uming and arring over whether or not to let Vettel past should the need arise.

Journeyman
    Great race,
    Felt a bit sorry Kimi, but that was Lewis at his best

Mercedes tactics very questionable, if it’s such a team sport, Kimi might as well crash into Hamilton to support Vettel.

Dummy pit stops are against the rules, how come Mercedes aren’t being penalised
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd September 2018 at 16:19.

Blog Entries
    Mercedes tactics very questionable, if it’s such a team sport, Kimi might as well crash into Hamilton to support Vettel.

Probably the same reason Vettel wasn't penalised for a slam dunk unsafe release in the pits?

There's a difference between dummy stops, and change in tactics. Not the first time a team has gone for the "do the exact opposite of what he does".

It's not questionable at all, we've seen a driver play rear gunner to disrupt opposition many times (Schumacher did it better than most for Irvine).

Surely you can see the difference between being disruptive, and a deliberate crash?

Looks like Mad Max is back!

Not the move that got him the penalty, I think the 5 secs penalty was rabout ight but I am sure it was a close decision for the stewards. No, the problem was his reaction to the penalty. His attitude on the radio was totally wrong, if he had let Bottas past he could have gained another place at the end, I am sure he will get into hot water with the team for that!

Well that was fun.

Vettel got all excited at the start - again!

Danny blew up - again!

Max had a trantrum - again!

Botas was steady - again!

Kimi was quick - for about 50% of the race - again!

Lewis demonstrated why he is the best racer and driver on the Grid - again!

On the topic of Max and his "I don't care anymore" comment, someone needs to give him a good slap. He has the talent, but clearly does not have the temperate or maturity to be a WC. Hopefully it will come, but I am not sure - seems to have "entitlement issues".

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    There's a difference between dummy stops, and change in tactics. Not the first time a team has gone for the "do the exact opposite of what he does".

It's not questionable at all, we've seen a driver play rear gunner to disrupt opposition many times (Schumacher did it better than most for Irvine).

Surely you can see the difference between being disruptive, and a deliberate crash?

Standing in the pit lane and costing the other team time is gamesmanship, and is against the rules, whatever twist gets put in it

Well that was fun.

Vettel got all excited at the start - again!

Danny blew up - again!

Max had a trantrum - again!

Botas was steady - again!

Kimi was quick - for about 50% of the race - again!

Lewis demonstrated why he is the best racer and driver on the Grid - again!

On the topic of Max and his "I don't care anymore" comment, someone needs to give him a good slap. He has the talent, but clearly does not have the temperate or maturity to be a WC. Hopefully it will come, but I am not sure - seems to have "entitlement issues".
    But Lewis wasn’t, Kimi was, the only reason he won was because Botas block and slowed the Ferrari

Standing in the pit lane and costing the other team time is gamesmanship, and is against the rules, whatever twist gets put in it
    Did you not see Ferrari doing the same?

They were helpfully holding the hoses in the correct position. As every team does. At every pit stop.

Pretty sure it's standard practice so the hoses don't drift into the path of cars in the pit box behind.

But Lewis wasn’t, Kimi was, the only reason he won was because Botas block and slowed the Ferrari

Do you really think that Kimi's tyres would have lasted given the rate Lewis was catching him?

Also its a bit odd, don't you think, that Kimi couldn't overtake VB (on knocked tyres), but Lewis was able to overtake Kimi (on knackered tyres).

No doubt VB did Lewis a favour, but I still think Lewis would have caught Kimi regardless of that.

Friedrich Nietzsche

No, he didn't win because he stopped early to change tyres, then pushed so hard he blistered his new tyres. At the end his tyres were completely dead.

Do you really think that Kimi's tyres would have lasted given the rate Lewis was catching him?

Also its a bit odd, don't you think, that Kimi couldn't overtake VB (on knocked tyres), but Lewis was able to overtake Kimi (on knackered tyres).

No doubt VB did Lewis a favour, but I still think Lewis would have caught Kimi regardless of that.
    So you think Lewis would have caught him if bottas hasn’t held him up
    Last edited by adrianw; 2nd September 2018 at 17:52.

We appear to have reached he stage in the season when Ferrari seem to find new ways of dropping the ball and handing both Championships to Mercedes.

It didn't happen when Ross Brawn was there.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Having watched the race today (I don't watch them all) I'd make the following points:

- I thought it a shame that Raikkonen didn't win, and I'd put 70% of that down to Ferrari bringing him in too early and 30% down to him taking too much from the tyres immediately following his stop. He may have been told to push by the team, I don't know.
    - Vettel seems to have issues whenever someone tries to overtake him. Today he tried to push Hamilton wide and then hit him as he didn't have the full width of the track free but didn't compensate. Mentally he just doesn't seem able to accept it and invariably there's a coming together. I think he'd benefit from time with a sports psychologist.
    - Verstappen showed his petulant side once again and when he watches the contact with Bottas will realise his penalty was justified, though I doubt he'd ever admit it. Added to that, he potentially threw away a place and the associated points; I doubt the Red Bull team will be too happy about that.
    Last edited by Skier; 2nd September 2018 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    We appear to have reached he stage in the season when Ferrari seem to find new ways of dropping the ball and handing both Championships to Mercedes.

It didn't happen when Ross Brawn was there.
    Agreed, but I fear they are about to go back 15 years

Loved the final formation lap by Mercedes for "our Italian colleagues." A great race and a great win.

Hell of a race. Most exciting for a while. MV is an idiot...."I don't care if Vettel is catching me"....think the long game & of the team.
    Last edited by gerard; 2nd September 2018 at 20:58.

Master
    Fascinating race for sure. Would have loved to see Ferrari take victory on home soil and also open the championship race up I must admit.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    One of if not the best races of the year. Fantastic.

Master
    A magnificent drive by Hamilton, the race was Ferraris to lose, and between Vettels first lap error and bringing Kimi in so early thats just what they did.

Whilst Verstappen can be very fast his attitude does him no favours. I wonder if he will prove to be the asset to Red Bull the team expect.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 3rd September 2018 at 09:12.

McLaren have just announced that Stoffel Vandoorne will not be driving for the team in 2019! Not a great surprise, the big question is who will replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    McLaren have just announced that Stoffel Vandoorne will not be driving for the team in 2019! Not a great surprise, the big question is who will replace him?
    Replying to my own question, Lando Norris will be the second driver at McLaren next year. This rules out the hopes of several other drivers.

OCON still out in the cold, it seems that being a Mercedes driver is becoming a poison chalice

Racing Point Force India still haven't confirmed their line-up, it would be easy to say that Stroll will be moving over so perhaps Ocon will take a birth at Williams. Mercedes would want to keep him in the sport and Williams do have Mercedes engines, Ocon has been quite vocal about being comfortable with (what he perceives to be) the fact that the manufacturer has his back so perhaps he'll take the remaining RPFI seat instead of Perez... Can't see that though, Williams would be more likely, even if that does seem like a downgrade from his current car. Williams did put in a decent show at Monza by their own recent standards, maybe the aero issues that they've been suffering from weren't such an issue there. Quali went well and both drivers finished in the points, the first time this year IIRC.

So what will become of Vandorne, then? I predicted earlier that he would lose his McLaren seat and probably take on a test/reserve driver elsewhere, it's either this or he's out of the sport altogether. He started well at McLaren, Alonso always appeared to have the measure of him though there were the occasional signs of speed, this season though he's the only driver on the grid that has been out-qualified by his teammate every race weekend - that's not a great performance even if we are comparing him to Fernando. Congratulations to Lando, he'll be happy, so let's hope that any talent he has isn't masked by the McLaren package. His teammate for next year is a known quantity and will be a good benchmark to measure against.

I can't not comment on Hamilton, Verstappen, Raikkonen or Vettel.

Lewis really did put on a show, didn't he? The first lap overtake was one of the strongest of any driver so far this season, if not the strongest given the championship battle, who he overtook and the potential consequences if it went tits up. A fine drive, one in the eye to Vettel and Ferrari, followed by a poke in the other with the Mercedes duo driving side by side after the race had finished. Ferrari were supposed to be the stronger team just like they were at Monza last season, and Lewis took the top step in both matching Michael Schumacher's number of wins at the Italian circuit.

Verstappen. Oh dear. Just when I though he had maybe grown out of his bum-fluff years he takes a step back, not in his speed - which is clearly apparent - but his attitude on the track. Yes Max, we get that you're "not going to change your style", however please take your errors on the chin instead of blaming others. Your arrogance will seriously start to grate, not accepting that you were at fault with the Bottas incident was nothing compared to your comments on not caring if Vettel closed in within 5sec of you. You've demonstrated that you can manage your car, now start demonstrating that you can manage your head. We want to support you, I know that I do, so please sort it out!

Rumours have resurfaced about Leclerc replacing Raikkonen for '19 despite his pole and 2nd place finish yesterday. I've nothing against young talented blood coming through though I'd keep him on another year if he is willing, he's no slower than he was 11 years ago when he won the DC, and Leclerc hasn't scored any points since June even if he has been involved in incidents outside of his control. Kimi got the best out of the hand he was dealt within the race, though I'm not entirely sure he deserved C4's driver of the day (Hamilton for me).

Vettel's "Hamilton didn't give me enough space" was a slight tell on his mental attitude. It was clear that it was a safe and fair pass, his questioning of it showed that he was ignoring his own failure to avoid the collision. The German can get rattled when under pressure, Ferrari do have a few circuits coming up that historically suit them so can he make the most of it and close the gap?
    Last edited by CardShark; 3rd September 2018 at 14:09.

Racing Point Force India still haven't confirmed their line-up, it would be easy to say that Stroll will be moving over so perhaps Ocon will take a birth at Williams. Mercedes would want to keep him in the sport and Williams do have Mercedes engines, Ocon has been quite vocal about being comfortable with (what he perceives to be) the fact that the manufacturer has his back so perhaps he'll take the remaining RPFI seat instead of Perez... Can't see that though, Williams would be more likely, even if that does seem like a downgrade from his current car. Williams did put in a decent show at Monza by their own recent standards, maybe the aero issues that they've been suffering from weren't such an issue there. Quali went well and both drivers finished in the points, the first time this year IIRC.

So what will become of Vandorne, then? I predicted earlier that he would lose his McLaren seat and probably take on a test/reserve driver elsewhere, it's either this or he's out of the sport altogether. He started well at McLaren, Alonso always appeared to have the measure of him though there were the occasional signs of speed, this season though he's the only driver on the grid that has been out-qualified by his teammate every race weekend - that's not a great performance even if we are comparing him to Fernando. Congratulations to Lando, he'll be happy, so let's hope that any talent he has isn't masked by the McLaren package. His teammate for next year is a known quantity and will be a good benchmark to measure against.

I can't not comment on Hamilton, Verstappen, Raikkonen or Vettel.

Lewis really did put on a show, didn't he? The first lap overtake was one of the strongest of any driver so far this season, if not the strongest given the championship battle, who he overtook and the potential consequences if it went tits up. A fine drive, one in the eye to Vettel and Ferrari, followed by a poke in the other with the Mercedes duo driving side by side after the race had finished. Ferrari were supposed to be the stronger team just like they were at Monza last season, and Lewis took the top step in both matching Michael Schumacher's number of wins at the Italian circuit.

Verstappen. Oh dear. Just when I though he had maybe grown out of his bum-fluff years he takes a step back, not in his speed - which is clearly apparent - but his attitude on the track. Yes Max, we get that you're "not going to change your style", however please take your errors on the chin instead of blaming others. Your arrogance will seriously start to grate, not accepting that you were at fault with the Bottas incident was nothing compared to your comments on not caring if Vettel closed in within 5sec of you. You've demonstrated that you can manage your car, now start demonstrating that you can manage your head. We want to support you, I know that I do, so please sort it out!

Rumours have resurfaced about Leclerc replacing Raikkonen for '19 despite his pole and 2nd place finish yesterday. I've nothing against young talented blood coming through though I'd keep him on another year if he is willing, he's no slower than he was 11 years ago when he won the DC, and Leclerc hasn't scored any points since June even if he has been involved in incidents outside of his control. Kimi got the best out of the hand he was dealt within the race, though I'm not entirely sure he deserved C4's driver of the day (Hamilton for me).

Vettel's "Hamilton didn't give me enough space" was a slight tell on his mental attitude. It was clear that it was a safe and fair pass, his questioning of it showed that he was ignoring his own failure to avoid the collision. The German can get rattled when under pressure, Ferrari do have a few circuits coming up that historically suit them so can he make the most of it and close the gap?
    Very good read.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Ferrari do have a few circuits coming up that historically suit them so can he make the most of it and close the gap?
    Lovely interpretation and nice read. As was Mark Hughes above ^^^

On the quoted point above, yes historically good tracks for Ferrari, but will that be the same this year we think with the what now seems to be increased power Ferrari?

Nice to see a race won by overtakes on track. Simplistic maybe, but I enjoyed it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

On the quoted point above, yes historically good tracks for Ferrari, but will that be the same this year we think with the what now seems to be increased power Ferrari?
    An increase in power can never be a bad thing as long as it doesn't stretch reliability even further, for example if the cooling requirements are higher then circuits like Singapore may prove to be a challenge, and that's a circuit where they're supposed to be stronger than Mercedes despite the Italian team's results there the last few years. Their chassis is also a touch longer this year compared to last if I remember correctly, and to use Singapore as a circuit example again then maybe the Ferrari chassis won't be quite as nimble as previous years.

Weather conditions during practice, quali and the race as well as reliability, tactics and force majeure probably have a greater effect on ultimate race results on the day, for example there's a reasonable chance that Raikkonen could have won yesterday if Ferrari had slowed him down on his out laps post pitstop - he didn't need to bang them in like he did and this may well have burnt his tyres out too quickly. The car and driver were up for it, tactics let the side down.

I wonder if RB will regret letting DR go and keeping MV, will see in the rest of the season

According to Sky - Lando Norris replaces Vandoome.

Excellent.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Has anyone used the F1 TV App yet? I'm thinking of binning my TV licence and Sky, but I want a method to watch F1.

All views good and bad welcome.

Cheers.
    I don't think that many will have subscribed to the app as the live races (F1 TV Pro) are not available in the UK...as yet...see link.

Where it is available the price per year (link) seems to vary (quite a bit):

€189.99 France
    $99.99 United States
    €64.99 Germany
    €94.99 Switzerland
    Mind you, I'm not sure if that "per year" price is for the rest of the season or a full year.

Can't say fairer than that!

“It was a big mistake,” Di Montezemolo told BBC Sport.

“Lewis is a fantastic champion, has always been very correct, and he made a fantastic race. Full stop.

“What happened was very, very bad and I am really upset.”

Kimi Raikkonen*also did not agree with the booing of other drivers from the Tifosi, saying: “I think everybody has the right to do what they feel like but I don’t think it’s very nice.

“I don’t think it should happen but obviously it’s not my decision. It happens and that’s how life is but it’s not very nice.”

Di Montezemolo also said that Ferrari can have no complaints about Mercedes’ strategy at the Italian Grand Prix, saying it was a tactic that he used plenty of times during his tenure with the Scuderia.

“I can tell you we won a few championships [this way] when I was the chairman and CEO – with Kimi and Felipe Massa, with Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher, with Michael and Eddie Irvine,” he added.

“So this is part of the history. And Bottas did not make anything incorrect or a foul. He made his race.

“When I have heard somebody make criticism… This is normal. In life it is difficult to win, but it is more difficult to accept when you don’t win. So, yesterday I was not happy for what I have seen, from the public.

“Mercedes made its job. If I was in charge of Ferrari in the same condition as Mercedes, I would make exactly the same choice. So, finito.”

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I don't think that many will have subscribed to the app as the live races (F1 TV Pro) are not available in the UK...as yet...see link.

Where it is available the price per year (link) seems to vary (quite a bit):

€189.99 France
    $99.99 United States
    €64.99 Germany
    €94.99 Switzerland
    Mind you, I'm not sure if that "per year" price is for the rest of the season or a full year.
    Thanks, I was aware the Pro option wasn't available yet.

I'm interested to know at what point the replay of the race is available. And what sort of commentary it may or may not have. I rarely watch live, normally I'm busy during the day and watch the recording late afternoon on the Sunday.