timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2018

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    I don't see much changing.
    For FP3 there was not much to see period ad by and large nobody bothered to risc a car or use up tires. Literally a no-show.

Despite the best efforts of the commentators, France GP was another astonishingly dull race.

Did anybody else feel that it's a very difficult circuit to watch a race? I think it's because there aren't many "landmarks", and the vivid stripes in the run-off areas are quite disorientating. I suppose it was never actually designed as anything other than a test circuit, and has lots of different configurations, but it just doesn't look right as a Grand Prix venue.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Despite the best efforts of the commentators, France GP was another astonishingly dull race.
    A bit of credit to the stewards please. They to made a valiant effort by docking Vettel so he could make the bulk of the overtakes.

Points too for Ferrari for giving Kimi free reigns instead of points to Vettel.

Blog Entries
    Sort of dazzle painting:

Vettel effectively let off for ruining battas's race. Other than that a good demonstration of how much quicker the front running cars are, by about lap 20 SV was in front of his grid position

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Did anybody else feel that it's a very difficult circuit to watch a race? I think it's because there aren't many "landmarks", and the vivid stripes in the run-off areas are quite disorientating. I suppose it was never actually designed as anything other than a test circuit, and has lots of different configurations, but it just doesn't look right as a Grand Prix venue.
    Yes. Magny Cours was more interesting, although the result for my two favourites Hamilton and Verstappen was pleasing.

Master
    Odd race. There was plenty of overtaking, but it wasn’t an exciting race at all.
    On another note, is there any free view sorted for 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Odd race. There was plenty of overtaking, but it wasn’t an exciting race at all.
    On another note, is there any free view sorted for 2019?
    I actually thought it was one of the better races this season so far probably down to the multiple incidents on lap 1 though. I wonder if Grosjean Has the record now for the number of investigations for a driver in a race. Every other lap seemed to feature an investigation into him.

i believe sky has won exclusive coverage for next year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I actually thought it was one of the better races this season so far probably down to the multiple incidents on lap 1 though. I wonder if Grosjean Has the record now for the number of investigations for a driver in a race. Every other lap seemed to feature an investigation into him.

i believe sky has won exclusive coverage for next year.
    I’m guessing the C4 highlights were just crap then. I didn’t see anything pop up on the screen regards Grosjean.

Craftsman
    Another bore fest. GP2 is so much more entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m guessing the C4 highlights were just crap then. I didn’t see anything pop up on the screen regards Grosjean.
    Just my own opinion of course but I quite enjoyed it. I'm sure there was about 3 or 4 investigations involving Grosjean's name

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Gasly was the runaway winner in terms of Stewards decisions, with 5. Grosjean was joint second with Ocon, on three.

STEWARDS DECISIONS

...list...

From: https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2018/eventtiming-information-6
    I think that we should draw some distinction between Stewards decisions, their Offense and Summons documents. The latter are merely the start of a process that may end in no further action or some form of penalty.

Then there is a further division according to the date, ie during the race or during practice.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Gasly was the runaway winner in terms of Stewards decisions, with 5. Grosjean was joint second with Ocon, on three.

STEWARDS DECISIONS
    it highlights Vettel's immunity, even the other drivers are saying what exactly does he have to do to get a proper punishment (probably not drive a Ferrari)

I know rules are rules, but this does show how Formula one and the FIA need taking down a peg or two, I would love to know the cost of administering, enforcing and policing this one. they talk about reducing costs but this exemplifies all that is wrong with F1 and why its forthcoming demise is inevitable as other classes (formula E) become more popular.

The driver of car number 10, Pierre Gasly, used the set of tyres which was nominated for use during
    the first 40 minutes of P1 until 12:42:43hrs; 2 minutes and 43 seconds longer than permitted by
    Article 24.4 g) iii) of the 2018 Formula One Sporting Regulations.
    Last edited by adrianw; 25th June 2018 at 10:57.

One of the reasons I don't watch qualifying any more is the penalties.
    Normally 6 or more drivers receive grid penalties as the officials shuffle the pack by annulling the Quali results - so what's the point of watching something which didn't happen.

Same with the race. The highlights allow an update at the end of the programme to describe who has been hauled in front of the stewards after the race and had their results "adjusted"
    I haven't seen last weekends race yet.
    The fast forward button will be useful according to the race reports above.

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    Another bore fest. GP2 is so much more entertainment.
    Yeah but they need to sort out the situation making it easier to get the Gp2 cars off the line, with so many cars stalling on the grid someone is going to get hurt going into the back of a stalled car, plus rather spoils some of the races.

Craftsman
    I enjoyed the race on Sunday although as others have pointed out I have absolutely no idea what Vettel has to do to get a proper penalty

There's no time for any more whingeing about France/Paul Ricard/whatever, because races are coming thick and fast.

It's Austria this weekend, the Red Bull Ring distinguished by being a pale imitation of the full-fat Osterreichring from which it has been extracted, and has the distinction of having the fewest corners of any current Grand Prix circuit:

Although by my reckoning it has nine, Turn 2 is merely a straight with a bit of a curve. Turns 1, 3 and 9 (under my system) are capable of causing issues, Turn 1 on Lap 1 usually accounting for a few aerodynamic aids. It's very much a power circuit, and doesn't really favour the home team.

Rubber choices:

Not much paddock gossip after last weekend's flurry, with the Red Bull/Honda engagement announcement taking the headlines, and the driver-go-round slowing down as a result, the likely outcome now appearing to be that everybody stays where they are, unless Kimi decides to retire to a vodka and ice-cream lap-dancing bar in his homeland, although Lewis Hamilton does appear to have one eye on life after Formula 1:

https://youtu.be/HLeeFxDiDKM

^^^^^^

Hmm:

...?

we should run a book on, on track overtakes........................................i ll start with 0

Updates from FP1, and the Dutch appear to have annexed this particular corner of the Austrian mountains judging by the amount of orange visible in long shots of the crowd. Yes, Austria is just one of Max Verstappen's home races. His merchandising people must be overjoyed.

Mercedes have revealed some very significant aero updates, including new sidepods, barge boards and mirror supports, the latter having attracted attention from eagle-eyed journalists, all asking whether they're legal. Interesting that it has taken so long for Mercedes to make such significant aero changes, which probably means that they've thoroughly tested them, and the car, which is now effectively a "b" spec, will almost certainly reassert them at the front.

Robert Kubica is replacing Sergei Sirotkin for FP1. Whether or not he'll be able to provide any meaningful feedback on the aero problems which have beset the Williams so far this season remains to be seen.

And finally, it's nice to see a "proper" circuit after the mind-altering stripery of Paul Ricard. Grass up to the edge of the circuit, proper kerbs, including a lot of "sausage" kerbs to police track limit abuse, which had become an epidemic here, especially between the final two corners and the exit of Turn 1. There are gravel traps to punish off-track excursions here, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Grass up to the edge of the circuit, proper kerbs, including a lot of "sausage" kerbs to police track limit abuse, which had become an epidemic here, especially between the final two corners and the exit of Turn 1. There are gravel traps to punish off-track excursions here, as well.
    The "sausage" curbs are definitely working, Pierre Gasly went over them in FP2 and broke his steering, causing him to go off and bringing out the red flags. Given the way F1 is today, the big curbs may get removed before tomorrow to prevent more failures. Personally I think cars should be strong enough to cope with this, the circuit is fine.

The "sausage" curbs are definitely working, Pierre Gasly went over them in FP2 and broke his steering, causing him to go off and bringing out the red flags. Given the way F1 is today, the big curbs may get removed before tomorrow to prevent more failures. Personally I think cars should be strong enough to cope with this, the circuit is fine.
    There was quite a lot of car damage today which is being attributed to the rather aggressive kerbs but if the drivers could manage to confine themselves within the track, they wouldn't damage their cars. The natural instincts of racing drivers is to try to lap ever faster, and push the limits, and the kerbs and gravel traps at Spielberg are the punishment for exceeding those limits.

Robert Kubica's role in FP1 was, apparently, to experiment with a variety of aero and suspension solutions, including a revised floor, in an attempt to find a solution to the handling problems of the Williams, which seems to imply that the team are clutching at straws. Likewise, McLaren are floundering with aero results from their wind tunnel, CFD and track, none of which correlate. The discontent within the team is spilling out into the public domain, with journalists falling over themselves to attempt to get team members to spill the beans and open up on the morale issues at Woking.

Just over two seconds separated first from last in FP2 today, on the shortest lap on the calendar, the spread being 1:04.5s - 1:06.6s, implying that Qualifying will be both close and critical tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to the race this weekend

The big news from today is that it looks like Charles Leclerc is about to move from Sauber to Ferrari to replace Kimi. The only question appears to be when: sometime this season (after the summer break), or not until the start of next season.

Apologies in advance, but today a Porsche 918 lapped the old Nurburgring circult in 5 minutes and 19 seconds beating the old record set 35 years ago by 51 seconds. Average speed 143mph.

Wow! Just wow!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The big news from today is that it looks like Charles Leclerc is about to move from Sauber to Ferrari to replace Kimi. The only question appears to be when: sometime this season (after the summer break), or not until the start of next season.
    About time. Kimi is well past his best and has been blocking that 2nd Ferrari seat for too long! It'll be good to see another young exciting talent in a too car next season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    About time. Kimi is well past his best and has been blocking that 2nd Ferrari seat for too long! It'll be good to see another young exciting talent in a too car next season.
    But how much difference will it REALLY make given they will still be a number 2 driver. Ferrari have shown this year how ruthless they can be with the way they have used Kimi in some of the races.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Apologies in advance, but today a Porsche 918 lapped the old Nurburgring circult in 5 minutes and 19 seconds beating the old record set 35 years ago by 51 seconds. Average speed 143mph.

Wow! Just wow!
    Porsche 919 rather than 918 Andy but damn, the onboard lap is something to behold.

Wow! Just wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Porsche 919 rather than 918 Andy but damn, the onboard lap is something to behold.
    Not a single on track overtake that I could see though.

Apologies in advance, but today a Porsche 919 lapped the old Nurburgring circult in 5 minutes and 19 seconds beating the old record set 35 years ago by 51 seconds. Average speed 143mph.

Wow! Just wow!
    Will clap once the investigation is completed to establish if a Corsa 2008/9 was being used as a pace car and it achieving 5m 17s as evidenced by the onboard footage the 919 wasn’t able to catch it. Assessment of the Corsa using the unfair advantage of the seats being folded down and lack of a boot cover is also being speculated.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm...

The F1 thread livened up by a LeMans car on the Nordschleife dúring a race weekend on the RedBull ring.

919 - my bad. Still wow!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

919 - my bad. Still wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Hmmmm...

The F1 thread livened up by a LeMans car on the Nordschleife dúring a race weekend on the RedBull ring.

Yep...and it already had a thread all of its own: New Nurburgring lap record.

Vettel under pressure? Yet another mistake and now relegated to 6th on the Grid.

I wonder if Kimi will let him pass given that has his P45 waiting for him at the end of the season.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Better hope the The Grand Prix is as good as the F2 race today, and a rolling start so no stalllers.

Three place grid penalty for Vettel for blocking Sainz on a hot lap. Interesting since he seems to have escaped punishment for worse infringements but maybe a case of the straw that broke the camel’s back?

So, Vettel 6th on the grid behind a squabbling Dani and Max (disagreement about slipstreaming in qualifying) could make for an interesting start.

Three place grid penalty for Vettel for blocking Sainz on a hot lap. Interesting since he seems to have escaped punishment for worse infringements but maybe a case of the straw that broke the camel’s back?

So, Vettel 6th on the grid behind a squabbling Dani and Max (disagreement about slipstreaming in qualifying) could make for an interesting start.

Indeed plus hopefully a "disappointed" Kimi so Vettel will do well to get on the podium unless he gets a blinding start. If Lewis is to do anything then I imagine it will be via the pits. He is unlikely to attempt anything on track, Max stylie. If you want to finish first, first you have to finish, etc.

More points for LH hopefully plus it's on Telly

Friedrich Nietzsche

Vettel under pressure? Yet another mistake and now relegated to 6th on the Grid.

I wonder if Kimi will let him pass given that has his P45 waiting for him at the end of the season.
    Apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    OK...

Indeed plus hopefully a "disappointed" Kimi so Vettel will do well to get on the podium unless he gets a blinding start. If Lewis is to do anything then I imagine it will be via the pits. He is unlikely to attempt anything on track, Max stylie. If you want to finish first, first you have to finish, etc.

More points for LH hopefully plus it's on Telly
    Apparently not.

To finish first, you have to finish. Indeed.
    That’s leg pulling btw, not a ferocious anti Hamilton diatribe.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To finish first, you have to finish. Indeed.
    That’s leg pulling btw, not a ferocious anti Hamilton diatribe.
    No problem. Actually I quite enjoyed the race. Lots going on. The fact that Vettel actually overtook LH on track was quite memorable. Quite pleased for MV, but actually more pleased for Kimi especially as Ferrari did not ask him to let Vettel through - not that I imagine he would have.

Good result for Haas and Alonso.

The only downside was the performance of the tires, but saying that even Perrelli cannot control the weather, which if it stays like this will make Silverstone and Spa quite interesting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I enjoyed the race too, not much has been made of Alonsos cracking drive, he did very well under the circumstances.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Alonso is a very safe pair of hands indeed. He did nothing spectacular but put all his experience in doing the most with the little he had. He was helped in his quest for points by the many retirements but he had healthy tyres when it came to passing Leclerc et al. towards the end of the race.
    The man has his flaws, but he does deliver.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

He certainly does, poor team choices have definitely cost him multiple titles in my opinion, but that’s part of the F1 game, putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Well done Verstappen!!! Beating those goddamn Ferraris!

I thought today’s race was rather good, pity about the Mercedes DNFx2

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The weekend according to Mark Hughes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...378YTL,173KR,1

Alonso's long association with Flavio Briatore is a black mark against him, in my book.