closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 1803

Thread: Formula 1 2018

Hi F1 experts. Just happened to see a bit of the latest race and noticed that during a pit stop there were guys with large leaf-blowers directed at the wheels. Were they warming the tyres, cooling the brakes or what?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Hi F1 experts. Just happened to see a bit of the latest race and noticed that during a pit stop there were guys with large leaf-blowers directed at the wheels. Were they warming the tyres, cooling the brakes or what?
    They would have been cooling the brakes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Yes - stops them catching fire, they get that hot.

If the hot pads stick to the discs it causes a vibration,

Hamilton proving he is the fastest.

Ocon proving that if he had more cash he would be driving next year

And Alonso confirming that he is going for the triple crown and will probably come back to Formula 1
    Last edited by adrianw; 24th November 2018 at 15:07.

Master
    It would be interesting to see Alonso and Hamilton swap cars to see the actual driver difference.

That Q2 time from Hamilton on the ultras was sensational.

Some very lucky F2 drivers,

Well done George Russell

We have
    British F1 champion
    British F2 champion

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    It would be interesting to see Alonso and Hamilton swap cars to see the actual driver difference.

That Q2 time from Hamilton on the ultras was sensational.
    I’d be more interested in seeing Vettel and Hamilton swap seats for a season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d be more interested in seeing Vettel and Hamilton swap seats for a season.
    I think those two are close on outright speed with Lewis just a tad faster but on racecraft and level headedness Hamilton is streets ahead.

I firmly believe that had Lewis been in a Ferrari this year he would still have won the WDC.

I wonder if there's anything about ice creams or wanting to be left alone in Kimi's book of Haiku?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...-haiku-printed

The interview on Sky with Jean Totd was interesting, saying verstappen needs to learn respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Thanks.

Master
    Another excellent drive from Hamilton, he has hardly put a foot wrong all season.

Poor old Bottas looked and sounded very dejected though.

Master
    As posted at the start of the season after 35+ years of following F1 it lost me this year. I decided to watch Spa and Monza because I like the tracks and neither did I watch to the end as they were so dull. I've really not missed it I'm afraid.

There are many, many things wrong with F1 but I think the the main thing is as follows. I appreciate the drivers are working incredibly hard in the the cockpits adjusting this and that many times a lap but I can't see that. I want to see them exercise their skill, I need to see the cars moving around, the drivers fighting the cars and ideally the drivers utterly exhausted at the end of each race. One tyre compound designed to last the weekend on one set would help, as well as helping with F1s costs and green credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    As posted at the start of the season after 35+ years of following F1 it lost me this year. I decided to watch Spa and Monza because I like the tracks and neither did I watch to the end as they were so dull. I've really not missed it I'm afraid.

There are many, many things wrong with F1 but I think the the main thing is as follows. I appreciate the drivers are working incredibly hard in the the cockpits adjusting this and that many times a lap but I can't see that. I want to see them exercise their skill, I need to see the cars moving around, the drivers fighting the cars and ideally the drivers utterly exhausted at the end of each race. One tyre compound designed to last the weekend on one set would help, as well as helping with F1s costs and green credentials.
    Lots of years ago I went to an evening with Sterling Moss (late 70s) and the discussion was the same regarding car/driver. Sterling's response to the question was have what engine you like but limit the tyre width to 6 inches, this should widen the technical approach and add real interest with lots of overtaking!

I really enjoyed this season, there were some great moments but Lewis lap in Singapore will stick in my mind for years to come

Mixed bag of a season from my perspective.

Still not sure the tyre options worked properly this year, not hugely interested in the analysis of steering wheel displays/telemetry.

Hamilton nailed it his year though - sad to see Williams still floundering, great gesture that they are taking Kubica back on but I do have to worry that he's not up to the physical aspects of the seat - time and races will tell?.

Alonso is a loss to the line up, but he had a hand in this. Looking forward to Red Bull and the return of Honda to F1.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    H1 was great. Second half was a walk in the park for LH. Let's hope we get some good competition next year with the aero changes.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Super drive once again by LH.

Not sure about Bottas, I have a feeling his days are numbered before his seat goes to Ocon.

Looking forwards to Russell and Norris next year.

As for Red Bull next year let's hope Honda deliver otherwise it's going to be Mercedes Vs Ferrari again with LH winning (I hope).

All in all a very very enjoyable session.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Looking forward to Red Bull and the return of Honda to F1.
    ? Honda returned to F1 years ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Elanman View Post
    Lots of years ago I went to an evening with Sterling Moss (late 70s) and the discussion was the same regarding car/driver. Sterling's response to the question was have what engine you like but limit the tyre width to 6 inches, this should widen the technical approach and add real interest with lots of overtaking!
    Stirling!

Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona View Post
    Stirling!
    i you're right of course
    Last edited by Elanman; 26th November 2018 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    ? Honda returned to F1 years ago.
    I meant a 'proper' return - should have been more specific.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

A final race report of the season from Mark Hughes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...378YTL,1QYY5,1
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The interview on Sky with Jean Totd was interesting, saying verstappen needs to learn respect.
    Won't happen. Same as when Vettel was at RB, they can't pay the wages that Merc/Ferrari will, so Horner has to basically bend to the number 1 driver, and back him regardless of behaviour. Even moreso when they can't provide a title challenging car.

Anyone feel like the Honda/RB story sounds much like how McLaren (or more specifically Ron Dennis) were hyping up the "jewel" of an engine? Seems like reliability is still an issue and I can't help but feel the RB packaging will only exacerbate any inherent reliability issues with the Honda PU. I feel like RB might not be as close to the front as they're hoping next year.

How long before we hear Horner complaining about engine partners again?

The RB approach to engine partners won't go down well with Honda either. I can't see them challenging next year, the Honda still seems fragile. But, maybe RB have realised that Honda are the last chance for them. Merc/Ferrari/Renault won't be an option.

Honda would be better off with a team like Williams, bit more dignified when things aren't going brilliantly, and they seem quite aware of where they are as a team at the moment. Long term, they'd have the time to develop together.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The RB approach to engine partners won't go down well with Honda either. I can't see them challenging next year, the Honda still seems fragile. But, maybe RB have realised that Honda are the last chance for them. Merc/Ferrari/Renault won't be an option.

Honda would be better off with a team like Williams, bit more dignified when things aren't going brilliantly, and they seem quite aware of where they are as a team at the moment. Long term, they'd have the time to develop together.
    It would make more sense if Honda's long term strategy was to own a Formula one team, the power train is only one element, once they have a reliable, stable design it wouldn't be a huge jump, and they have done it before.

Astonished to hear that Lewis was 88 points clear in the end. Wow.

Master
    Great season from LH. I just wish there had been a chance for him to repay the favour to Bottas by allowing him to pass and take a win in the last few races.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Super drive once again by LH.

Not sure about Bottas, I have a feeling his days are numbered before his seat goes to Ocon.
    So does he judging by his post race interview , he has been a good number 2 to LH but just not quick enough

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok, ok, I know, first testing in Abu Dhabi is not a litmuss test but still a realy fun result.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 29th November 2018 at 18:43.

The music has stopped, and all seats for 2019 have been filled, with the announcements of Alexander Albon at Toro Rosso, and Lance Stroll at RPFI.

Adrian's going to explode.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...roll-2019-deal
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The music has stopped, and all seats for 2019 have been filled, with the announcements of Alexander Albon at Toro Rosso, and Lance Stroll at RPFI.

Adrian's going to explode.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...roll-2019-deal
    :-) it’s not a suorise, just a waste of the seat in a good car. Let’s see how he performs in 2019!

Master
    I’ve made a huge cock up and on Friday night bought 2 x 3 day grandstand tickets for the 2019 Spanish Grand Prix on the same weekend as my best mates daughter’s wedding.
    I bought them directly from the circuit and it says no refunds or exchanges,has anyone ever had any success trying to get a refund ?
    Fortunately did the same with the Grand Marina Hotel and they’ve kindly offered to postpone the booking until the week after so at least that’s the most expensive bit sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Further Force India clarification from Joe Saward, who has obviously been taking lessons in the laws and rules surrounding company Administration, having appeared a bit confused in previous submissions:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00285

And an update on Vijay Mallya's extradition to India, which now appears to be conditional on the level of comfort offered by the Indian prison service:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00284

It should be noted that the charges against Dr Mallya concern all of his businesses, not just the Force India Formula 1 team.
    Vijay Mallya can be extradited

The extradition ruling will be passed to the Home Secretary for approval.

Mr Mallya, whose business empire once included Kingfisher beer, left India in March 2016 after defaulting on debts of more than $1bn (£785m).

He denies "fleeing" from India, and says he made an "unconditional" offer to pay back the sum in full in July.

An amusing twist on this season's commentary and radio clips - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...68665409957112

Master
    ^^^^^ very good.

Ferrari tidying up one loose ends from 2018

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...eICgGW2iW.html

Someone has to take the blame.
    Last edited by adrianw; 7th January 2019 at 13:28.

And here's the sound of Mark Hughes not shedding too many tears - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...riends-ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    And here's the sound of Mark Hughes not shedding too many tears - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...riends-ferrari
    Ha ha. He always came across as a d**k, sounds like he was much worse than that!

Master
    I wonder what effect that will have on the 2019 season?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I wonder what effect that will have on the 2019 season?
    If the cars as good as last season, they'll be stronger for sure (assuming what is being written is accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Ground effect.

is the thread broken?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    is the thread broken?
    Seem to have lost a lot of posts over the past few months

This is the 2018 thread, not the 2019 one.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Formula-1-2019

Bravo73 revived it from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Interesting video thank you. Certainly looks good for the future if this all translates from R&D to the track

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk