closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1803

Thread: Formula 1 2018

Vettel has already managed to get a 3 place grid drop, it’s really not going his way

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    It's a shame if Ocon hasn't got a drive next year as I personally think he is a very talented driver, certainly more so than Stroll (and a good few others). But I suppose this is what happens in a sport that is so money orientated and driven. Talented drivers (and therefore the sport and fans) suffer at the hands of more financially fluid.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what good a season at Williams would do for ocon? Seems they're positioning him for the Mercedes seat in 2020, and I don't see what a year at Williams will show.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Vettel has already managed to get a 3 place grid drop, it’s really not going his way
    We should be used to his errors this season.
    Take his errors away, and he'd potentially be leading the title race.

F1 is a different game to Indy - I suspect it's sour grapes.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There are lots of coulda shoulda woulda stories in F1. Most drivers accept that luck plays a huge part in their careers.

Did anyone else notice Lewis sporting a natty gangsta headscarf?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    A slight diversion, I know...but......Michael Andretti....
    “Had it gone the way it was supposed to go, I think I could have been world champion a few times over,” Andretti claimed. “And I know I could’ve done it because Mika won two world championships with McLaren (1998/99) and there was never a time when he was quicker than me (in testing).
    We were at the European GP at Donnington in 1993.
    three of us had a bet on how many laps Andretti would manage before crashing.
    We all lost. He crashed on the first lap - so no laps completed.

Michal Andretti, a man to exceed your expectations above and beyond the call of duty.
    Last edited by Reeny; 20th October 2018 at 10:15.

Michael Andretti rolled up in Formula 1 on a wave of hype, backed up by the fact that his old man was a (worthy) World Champion, and promptly had his arse handed to him.

I think that he's hoping that people have shorter memories than is actually the case. The stats don't lie.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

What on earth was Vettel thinking of!

And Stroll showing what a great talent he is again

Formula 1 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    What on earth was Vettel thinking of!
    What is this ‘thinking’ you speak of?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What is this ‘thinking’ you speak of?
    Lol

Seems like Ferrari have also missed a pit stop opportunity under the virtual safety car.

Team orders will play with Bottas and Lewis will be back to 2nd place of fresh harder compound tyres.

Journeyman
    First live race I have seen in a while .. I went about 25 years where I wouldnt miss watching live on TV .. These days its normally catch up on Monday

I've said it previously in this thread but Vettel needs the services of a sports psychologist. As a four-time World Champion he's clearly a talented driver and it's all too easy to be an armchair (or in this case office chair) critic, however, 'chimp' is a word that springs to mind.

Journeyman
    Vetal... My back tires are done!!

That is because you spun and lit them up I would guess

Master
    Bit of an anti-climax really. Was hoping for some real wheel to wheel action over the last few laps but Kimi just became a rolling roadblock throwing back turbulent air that stopped Verstappen having a go and in turn Hamilton picked up turbulent air from both of them. Nice to see Kimi win though and hoping that Bottas will get a chance to win before the end of the season too.

Blog Entries
    I’ve seen something different... MV fights off LH when it’s a straight battle between those two men. I certainly hope that Honda comes up with a competitive and reliable engine.

One of the most interesting races in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I’ve seen something different... MV fights off LH when it’s a straight battle between those two men. I certainly hope that Honda comes up with a competitive and reliable engine.

I think LH was thinking discretion was the better part of valour. Better to finish then have a DNF at this part of the season, especially with 3 races to go.

A good drive from MV, but a better drive from Kimi.

Just a shame that Mercedes did not bring LH in 4 laps sooner.

My biggest concern was that Vettel and Bottas were going to have a coming together which automatically handed LH the Championship.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I've said it previously in this thread but Vettel needs the services of a sports psychologist. As a four-time World Champion he's clearly a talented driver and it's all too easy to be an armchair (or in this case office chair) critic, however, 'chimp' is a word that springs to mind.

Not wrong.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    MV did well but remember he had nothing to lose in a dogfight and LH had everything to lose if he got in a collision with MV and ended up losing points to Vettel rather than playing safe and extending his lead.

MV has form in being over-zealous in both overtakes and defending his position and Hamilton was comfortably quicker as shown how quickly he caught up the leaders but don't underestimate how difficult it is in the dirty air of two cars, you literally need to be about 2 seconds a lap quicker to compensate.

Blog Entries
    Agree with dogwood, Hamilton hunts down 12 seconds in a blink of an eye but double turbulent air was the end of his race, he did get to show Vettel how wheel to wheel racing should be conducted though.

One of the most interesting races in a long time.
    Yep, great practice and great race.

I think Ferrari missed a pit stop opportunity during the virtual safety car stint and Mercedes left Hamilton out too long.

Great race though!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Yep, great practice and great race.

I think Ferrari missed a pit stop opportunity during the virtual safety car stint and Mercedes left Hamilton out too long.

Great race though!.

I think the VSC pit stop ultimately cost Hamilton. At the time it seemed like a cheap stop but in reality it came too soon in the race and turned it into a 2 stop strategy.

The baffling thing for me was indeed why they left Hamilton out so long before pitting for the second time. He was dropping 2 seconds a lap on tyres that would not make the end and comfortably inside the window that a new set of softs could have made it to the end on. Play safe and pit so that he would still be ahead of Verstappen seemed the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Agree with dogwood, Hamilton hunts down 12 seconds in a blink of an eye but double turbulent air was the end of his race, he did get to show Vettel how wheel to wheel racing should be conducted though.
    Certainly not in the blink of an eye, and degrading his new tyres in the process. MV had to manage his own tyres in the last few laps, and lost time on KR defending his own position.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    MV did well but remember he had nothing to lose in a dogfight and LH had everything to lose if he got in a collision with MV and ended up losing points to Vettel rather than playing safe and extending his lead.

MV has form in being over-zealous in both overtakes and defending his position and Hamilton was comfortably quicker as shown how quickly he caught up the leaders but don't underestimate how difficult it is in the dirty air of two cars, you literally need to be about 2 seconds a lap quicker to compensate.
    Max is definitely an all-in driver. That won’t serve him or the team well if they find themselves in the running for the championship. He’s got a lot of time to mature though, and in a year or 2 he can go to a winning team or stay at a newly competitive RB/Honda.
    I was glad to see Kimi get another win before it became pretty unlikely at Sauber.

Did anyone else watch the race on channel 4? There was some guy in the background making nyeeeooooowww nyeeeeoooowwww noises for a while which was quite funny,

It was on Sky as well. It must have been the F1 feed, the chap must have been pretty close to a track side mic. Very entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Did anyone else watch the race on channel 4? There was some guy in the background making nyeeeooooowww nyeeeeoooowwww noises for a while which was quite funny,

Master
    I, too, was bemused why Mercedes didn’t pit Hamilton (2nd stop) earlier as it was evident he had worn his tyres badly chasing Kimi after the first stop.

Poor call by the team, Hamilton was losing time hand over fist and had they pitted him earlier I think they could have got him out in front of Verstappen.

Good call by Hamilton not to push for second place, Veratappen can be a loose cannon in such situations. Better to take 3rd than a DNF.

Surprised by the return to form by Ferrari, if it was just a case of reverting to previous set up why didn’t they do that 2 races ago after it was evident the revised set up wasn’t working?

As for Vettel, he is just making mistake after mistake, I wonder how he will fare next season against Leclerc.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 26th October 2018 at 20:12.

I actually muted the sound to check as thought it was the neighbour's kids in their garden haha

Master
    I’m amazed how max made the softer SS tyres last so much longer than Lewis’ harder S tyres.
    Did Pirelli drop the ball on this one, or did Lewis simply take too much out of them trying to get past Kimi?

Mercedes made the call to change tyre during VSC and lost virtually no time at all in the process. LH therefore benefited from an extra set of tyres over his competition. So it is in effect one of LH very rare mistakes to have cooked his tyre advantage. At least, compared to MV who was outstanding in digging in his S to pass so many cars when his car was at its heaviest yet made them last long enough to keep his one stop strategy and change to SS.

Mercedes made the call to change tyre during VSC and lost virtually no time at all in the process. LH therefore benefited from an extra set of tyres over his competition. So it is in effect one of LH very rare mistakes to have cooked his tyre advantage. At least, compared to MV who was outstanding in digging in his S to pass so many cars when his car was at its heaviest yet made them last long enough to keep his one stop strategy and change to SS.
    Looked as those he cooked the tyres after having to come from behind after the pit stop so I don't see how the blame can be on Lewis

Heard this too. It was probably the highlight of the race weekend for me!

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Looked as those he cooked the tyres after having to come from behind after the pit stop so I don't see how the blame can be on Lewis
    Compare him to Max, or Kimi. Or even on VB and SV.
    How can it be someone else’s fault when the others managed it?
    He started with SS, like Vettel and VB, changed on lap 11 to S and had cooked them by lap 37 - or earlier.In effect, KR held him with 15 laps old SS when LH had 4 laps old S.
    The only car he had to pass was VB, who obliged.
    Max, on S so the same tyre as LH, by that time had passed 15 cars in as many laps.
    KR changed for S at lap 20, and MV for SS at lap 22. That would be their only stop.

Now I am fully prepared to accept it might have something to do with the car. But it also has to do with the driver, and the impatience he showed. Nothing wrong with the driving, just too aggressive on the tyres yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    It was on Sky as well. It must have been the F1 feed, the chap must have been pretty close to a track side mic. Very entertaining.
    ICYMI...link.

Didn't someone come up with digitally imposing an eagle's shadow on the track last year?

Compare him to Max, or Kimi. Or even on VB and SV.
    How can it be someone else’s fault when the others managed it?
    He started with SS, like Vettel and VB, changed on lap 11 to S and had cooked them by lap 37 - or earlier.In effect, KR held him with 15 laps old SS when LH had 4 laps old S.
    The only car he had to pass was VB, who obliged.
    Max, on S so the same tyre as LH, by that time had passed 15 cars in as many laps.
    KR changed for S at lap 20, and MV for SS at lap 22. That would be their only stop.

Now I am fully prepared to accept it might have something to do with the car. But it also has to do with the driver, and the impatience he showed. Nothing wrong with the driving, just too aggressive on the tyres yesterday.
    For the strategy to work, he had to get past Kimi as quickly as possible. He had to get on it straight away, and as had been shown several times this season getting on it early with these compounds causes a greater loss further down the road. Combine that with running in dirty air behind Kimi, and they were always going to be toast.

It was a throw of the dice that didn't pay off. Had he got past quickly, he'd have probably won. Not an error in strategy or driving for me, just one of those things.

The strategy would have worked if he had stayed further back from KR to go easy on his tyres for a few laps, as KR had SS he was always going to stop soon (5 laps after LH started to hound him). Then he would have found himself with fresh tyres and leading the race. Able to set his own devastating speed with good tyres.
    I guess we’ll never know. But judging by the way other racers’ tyres held up they took more into account the increased possible degradation due to increased pressure demanded by Pirelli.
    Again, it is also possible that the Merc had a problem that impacted the car as LH usually masters those parameters.

The recent rear wheel holes that have helped Merc manage their tyres far better in the last fe races were removed from the car late in the weekend (plugged or old rims used?) under threat of protest from Ferrari. Despite being declared legal by the FIA it’s the stewards that make the decision on the day and I guess Merc weren’t prepared to take that risk.

Lack of running, hard pace at the outset of the stint and the tyre saving holes all added up to the need for a second stop.

I get the impression Mark Hughes enjoyed the race almost as much as Kimi did - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...nd-prix-report

The Verstappen/Hamilton dice just played further into Räikkönen’s 39-year-old hands and as he gunned the Ferrari out the final turn he saw the chequer one more time. Maybe the last? “Oh, I dunno,” he said. “Maybe I win the next one too.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I get the impression Mark Hughes enjoyed the race almost as much as Kimi did - https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/r...nd-prix-report
    I thought it was a great race and enjoyed it very much. Verstappen was awesome and Hamilton demonstrated once again his on-track maturity while Vettel didn't (and I'm a bigger fan of Vettel than Hamilton).

Vettels gone down in my estimation this season. I think there's a couple of drivers that would of put up a much better challenge this season. The number of errors would look bad at the bottom end of the grid, but from a 4 time wc competing for the title?

Alonso would have won the title in that car. It's had the legs on Mercedes for more than half the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I thought it was a great race and enjoyed it very much. Verstappen was awesome and Hamilton demonstrated once again his on-track maturity while Vettel didn't (and I'm a bigger fan of Vettel than Hamilton).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    The recent rear wheel holes that have helped Merc manage their tyres far better in the last fe races were removed from the car late in the weekend (plugged or old rims used?) under threat of protest from Ferrari. Despite being declared legal by the FIA it’s the stewards that make the decision on the day and I guess Merc weren’t prepared to take that risk.

Lack of running, hard pace at the outset of the stint and the tyre saving holes all added up to the need for a second stop.
    I suspect that this is what caused the increased degradation to the rear tyres. They just could not risk a Ferrari protest being upheld at this stage of the season.

Merc are seeking further clarification prior to Mexico which could allow them to run the new style rims without fear of protest. If this is the case I expect to see them back to form

Master
    It looksas if Mercedes will run the rear wheels with holes this next race as they have had confirmation of legality by FIA and the stewards.

Additionally the change of water pump in Austin apparently upset the cars balance, would have normally been compensated by suspension adjustments but as cars were in Parc Ferme this was not possible at the last race.

I’m hoping they are back to form and Hamilton seals the championship this time.

I expect the Red Bulls to perform well here barring mechanical failures.

Further analysis of the modified rear wheels on the Mercedes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...378YTL,1MRWJ,1

Imagine the outcry and stamping of feet if Ferrari had done this instead.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Further analysis of the modified rear wheels on the Mercedes:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...378YTL,1MRWJ,1

Imagine the outcry and stamping of feet if Ferrari had done this instead.
    It's legal. There's really no argument regardless of which team uses it, as a cooling device it's legal.

The benefits of it have been obvious given Mercs improvement in tyre management.

What are the chances of seeing Kimi in a Ferrari next year?

P.S. I am aware that he is expected at Sauber

Master
    What are the chances of seeing Kimi in a Ferrari next year?

P.S. I am aware that he is expected at Sauber
    Nil, I think given that Leclerc has already been contracted for next season.

However if Kimi had driven all season the way he did in Austin I think he may well have been retained for next year, not to mention being in contention for 2018 WDC.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 26th October 2018 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    It's legal. There's really no argument regardless of which team uses it, as a cooling device it's legal.

The benefits of it have been obvious given Mercs improvement in tyre management.

If brabham had disconnected the fan on their fan car it would have overheated. But that's not the only reason the fan was there as we know

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Interesting P1 in Mexico with Renault power occupying the top 4 spots.

Verstappen looks to have an outstanding chance as the Red Bull's superior handling will be a lot easier on the tyres than the Mercedes with the reduced downforce in thin air.

As pole showed, they don't have a pace deficit. They have a rear tyre heat management issue.

Disconnect the brabham fan, and it's slower immediately. The Mercedes isn't, it just can't make the tyre temps low enough.

It's clear from the blistering. There's no conspiracy, it's clearly about tyre management.

But I guess some will choose to believe that the FIA, and Mexican race stewards are choosing to allow Mercedes to run an illegal aero aid to the detriment of the sports most important team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    If brabham had disconnected the fan on their fan car it would have overheated. But that's not the only reason the fan was there as we know

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk