closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broken collar bone....should I seek 2nd opinion?

Broken collar bone....should I seek 2nd opinion?

Broke my collar bone during my trip to the Alps, though whilst very sore etc I didn't actually realise it was actually broken until I returned.

A trip to my local minor injuries unit several days after I returned confirmed it was broken, and after studying the X-ray the Emergency Practitioner declared it would need screwing and plating as it was so far displaced.

She referred me too the GWH, who after a week contacted me to say it wouldn't need surgery and they would see me in 2 wks for another X-ray.

I was a little confused, but nevertheless relieved.

So this is my latest X-ray and the Consultant still says it will heal naturally, despite having a large crossover and no real signs of any calcification(?) after nearly 3wks

All the internet research I do, and yes I know the internet is not always right, suggests the bone needs some correction.

Having the utmost respect for the NHS and all her employees I am a bit reticent to ask for another opinion, even though I think the decision may not be in my best interests.

Any Orthopaedic professionals on here, or those that may have had a similar experience.

No expertise, other than having broken mine many years ago. Mine was a lot more than 'very sore' - when I moved wrong, it hurt a lot, and carried on hurting just to make sure that I knew it was hurting. I couldn't put any weight on my arm, and lying down, sitting down and getting up was a major operation (pun not intended).

The broken ends of mine had crossed over. In A&E, the large guy put a knee in my back, grabbed my shoulders, said "This might nip a bit" and pulled. Ouch. I didn't have any surgery - it was left to heal naturally with only a figure of eight bandage to try and keep my shoulders back. It healed slightly out of line with a bit of a bump where the ends fused. Other than that, I wouldn't know I'd done it.

ANyway, back to you - with two comflicting opinions, I think you're right to seek a third. I hope you get a resolution that you're happy with, and heal quickly.

I'd Pay for a private consultation with another Orthopedic surgeon, it's got to be worth getting a second opinion with something like this if you're concerned. Probably cost you no more than £250

Master
    I broke my collarbone about 15 years ago. I went to A & E and was told that no surgery was required, it would heal by itself. 6 months later and I now had a huge bump on that collarbone where the 2 ends were now about an inch apart. I went back to a different hospital and they couldn’t believe it had been left untreated. They even went and got all their medical students to come and have a look at it, and it was operated on the very next day.
    I ended up having a plate attached which hooked under the shoulder bone to hold it all in place and a bone graft from my hip. The plate was removed after 6 months as it restricted movement.
    No problems since but total recovery time was about 15 months from the accident instead of probably just a couple had it been fixed straight away.
    Get a second opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Get it treated. I broke mine without realising it until my doctors informed me about a year later when I went to see him about an unrelated matter, by then it was too late to do anything without re-breaking it again.. I knew it was sore but didn't realise it would take approximately 10 years before I could sleep on that side without any pain again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Get it treated. I broke mine without realising it until my doctors informed me about a year later when I went to see him about an unrelated matter, by then it was too late to do anything without re-breaking it again.. I knew it was sore but didn't realise it would take approximately 10 years before I could sleep on that side without any pain again.
    Same with me, I broke mine in 1975 it was not diagnosed until 2018! it was only found because I had a shoulder rota cuff injury. All my back shoulder problems over the years have been contributed to by the broken collar bone. Best get another opinion as to whether it needs sorting.

Master
    Mine never knitted after i broke it in a motorbike accident so 3 years later i had an op where bone from my hip was used with a titanium plate and stainless steel screws.
    That was 16 years ago and its never bothered me, mind you i can't remember much pain before the op.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've broken both of my collar bones over the years. The first one was badly displaced & was left to heal without surgery. It was extremely painful, especially when lying down in bed, but it eventually healed up really well. I can feel a slight step in the bone but radiographs show that the eventual shape is almost normal.

The other collar bone was a more severe comminuted fracture. That one I had plated. It was way more comfortable following the surgery. The skin below the incision becomes completely numb & for quite a distance below the scar. After a couple of years it was feeling less numb & more paraesthesia or tingling. Then I had further surgery to take the plate out. Again the skin became completely numb but now, 18 months later it is back to tingly again.

I'd go for the plating every time.

Last edited by trident-7; 2nd August 2019 at 11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^ biggest side effect, back issues

Get it checked out again.

I bust mine having been knocked off my bike in 1983. Two ends and a separate bit in the middle. Healed without intervention however it was years until I could lie on my right side. Can put a slight curvature in the back which is hard to correct.

Hi Keith,

Unfortunately, I have quite some experience in this matter. i broke my collar bone in 3 places and dislocated my shoulder 3 years ago in Garmisch. I have had many broken bones and ligaments etc from 25 years skiing. I had an operation in Munich 2 days later to have a titanium plate and 13 screws fitted to repair it. All seemed good.

Came home to the UK and was taken into NHS care (which as always in amazing), however 5 weeks later my shoulder began really hurting and so i presented myself to A&E. They xray'd it and discovered that I had somehow contracted an internal infection that was forcing the screws out of my bone!!. I was admitted straight away and had an operation the following morning to remove all of the metal work and clean out the infection. I wont bore with the rest of the story (2 more hospital stays of a week and antibiotics so strong that I lost my sense of taste for 3 months). But suffice to say that the surgeons did not want to put another plate back in for fear of another infection. See photos of post op and 5 weeks later, OUCH!

The collar bone has since healed albeit a little mishapen and not flat, it is a little stiff sometimes, but I am pain free -which is the main thing- regular exercise is the best thing for it. I'm skiing again :) and overall feel pretty good

So, in summary what I am saying is, I know that I was incredibly unlucky to have gotten the infection, but every surgery comes with a risk, that could be another reason that they dont want to operate

Just food for thoguht for you, if you want to ask anymore, please message me

Good Luck
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (20.3 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (18.8 KB, 21 views)

Thanks for the shared experiences and advice gentleman.

The pain is just mainly a dull ache, but with frequent shooting pain related to movement ( not load ), that last seconds, then goes.

Strangely my back has been hurting quite a lot in the last 2 wks.

Consultant said I could carry on working, albeit with caution, this will not be possible due to the above.
    So not only have I managed to ruin the family holiday in the Alps that was due now, I have also messed up my kids school break.

I think I need to make that phonecall.

Many thanks.

Keith