closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Superleague And Rugby League Thread

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Good win for the Saints, Hull were a strange lot as we hammered them for 60 minutes but then they came alive for the last quarter!

Strange. If they’d played like that earlier who knows?!

Barba didn’t play due to illness, a little bird tells me that he was rested really....

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

2018 Superleague And Rugby League Thread

I think the easter period affected the teams this weekend. We won against Salford, but both sets of players were clearly exhausted at the end. We went up to second temporarily and when I got home and started watching Cats v Pies I thought we would stay there. Cant believe they let a 21 nil advantage go, but fair play to the pies.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I cant believe the Beeb have decided to show our game v Toronto in the sixth round draw. It will possibly be the lowest attended game we have had, cant see many from Toronto coming, and with the RFL's lack of creative marketing I doubt many Canadian ex-pats over here will be made aware of this. In fact most of the televised draws are a bit confusing, Cass v Saints being the exception, that should be a top game. Surely Widnes v Leeds, HKR v Pies or Hudds v Wakey would be a bigger draw. Stadiums will look very empty as the CC doesn't get really well supported at this stage anyway, I just don't know what the powers that be are thinking sometimes.

Stuart

Grand Master
    It's a shame the Challenge Cup isn`t as well-supported as it once was. I think the cost of admission thesedays puts some folks off, admission prices have doubled in real terms over the past 30 years or so.

Can`t get my head around the Toronto thing, hopefully it'll succeed but I can`t see how.

Hudds v Wakey worries me a bit; after our meltdown against Salford last week we've proved we're capable of playing badly, Hudds will have a few bodies back and possibly a new coach so I see it as a banana skin. We really could do with a good cup run.

Cas v Saints will be good......I know who my money's on and it won`t be on the pussies. We play 'em tonight, no love lost in this match, I`ll be watching at the local club and we'll probably need crowd segregation........only joking, it's the Leeds fans who've been known to get out of hand. Living in Normanton we have supporters for mainly Cas and Wakeyin our midst, some Leeds fans plus a few diehard Fev fans.

I suppose Rick's grinning from ear to ear after last night's match, I got home in time for the 2nd half....needn't have bothered when I saw the score! Shame about Barba getting injured, he's a joy to watch............ provided Saints aren`t playing the mighty Trin

Paul

Barba is something special isnt he, seems to conjure something out of nothing each time he gets the ball. Hearing his injury isnt as bad as it looked, hope thats the case.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Consecutive matches where we have scored 60+ points with mainly the same team that were struggling to score last season is credited to Holbrooks coaching. Barba is our talisman but the coach is getting the best from our more average players.

Bear in mind we’ve missed Roby for 3, Walmsley and swift too, it’s great that we’ve not missed a beat (loss to Wakefield not withstanding)

We have pivots who can play in multiple positions so our strength in depth is the best o can remember!

Barba is amazing how he changes direction, without losing any speed.

He had a hand in most of our tries, and scored his hat-trick. His second, the interception try, was him taking an opportunity and making the most of it.

Man of steel all day long, if he stays injury free.

Wigan are starting to carve out some results and whilst 2 points behind, they do have a game in hand.

Grand Master
    In Trinity’s last two games (following the win against Saints) they’ve been well beaten, can’t argue with that.

I’m not one for moaning about refereeing, but we definitely were on the receiving end of some harsh decisions last Friday. Penalty goals had a big influence on the result and at least two of the penalties were questionable to say the least. Cas’s first try came from a refereeing mistake ( penalty for a ball steal) , but the most puzzling decision was our disallowed try. Ref sent it up to the VR as a try but the decision was overturned owing to obstruction. We seem to be getting back to the situation a few seasons back, with a very strict interpretation of the obstruction rule causing perfectly good tries to be disallowed. Ironically, in Fridays game Cas scored a similar try immediately after, with an identical ‘ obstruction’ which wasn’t penalised by the VR. The try was turned down for a different reason ( touch in goal) but the inconsistency in interpretation of the obstruction was clear to see.

Saturdays Catalans v Hull game had a similar situation, yet again what appeared to be a good try was turned down by the video ref for obstruction, a decision that appeared v. harsh based on what we’ve all got ysed to in the last couple of years.

Has the interpretation of the rule changed or is this simply coincidence? Rugby League has a history of doing this, an aspect of the game is ‘ clamped down’ on and we get numerous penalties given. Eventually the refs ease off a little and a new normality returns.

For me, the area of the game that needs sorting out is the ruck/ play the ball. Players moving forward off the mark to gain a couple of yards and causing physical contact with the marker that all too often gets interpretated wrongly by the ref. Players are milking penalties this way, refs are getting this wrong all too often because they only have one set of eyes. Same with ball- stealing in the tackle, I have sympathy with the refs on this point because it’s almost impossible to see whether a player’s lost the ball or being ‘ helped’ to lose it.

Far too many penalties, often resulting from questionable decisions, are spoiling the game at the moment. The ruck/ play the ball needs cleaning up, far too much wrestling and messing around. I’d prefer to see the refs calling held a lot earlier, once a player's forward monentum has been stopped the tackle should be deemed to be complete and the tacklers move away. Far too much ‘ wrestling’ goes on and that leads to the ball steal/ loose carry conundrum where the ref almost has to guess at the right decision!

Maybe the answer is to follow the Aussies and have two refs on the field? I’d like to see the touch judges getting more involved, they could help the referees far more than they do, but perhaps two refs is the way to go. I’d prefer to stick with one ref, but I think some change is needed.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Hardaker 14 month ban is a farce IMHO.

The guy has been given so many chances before and not cleaned up his act.

Grand Master
    The Hardaker ban sends out totally the wrong mesage. He’ll be back playing in 2019 in a Wigan shirt if the rumours can be believed.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Well a workmanlike performance last night progress d the Saints 2 more points. 12 wins from 14 games is pretty good by any standards.

Catalans were pretty dirty and some high shots went unpunished, along with messing at the ruck and lying on.

They got exactly what they deserved, NOTHING. They offer nothing to Superleague, they brought zero support. Not ONE spectator.

I was lucky enough to meet Ben Barba last night, and his enthusiasm is really contagious! Even when he wasn’t playing, he was happy joking around and posing for pics...

Grand Master
    Big win for the mighty Trin, 54-18 v Hull KR.......big Dave Fafita’s return certanly helped!

A good Super League weekend, Wakey win and the Cas pussies get beaten.....and nice weather too. Didn’t envy the players playing in this heat but it’s nice to go to a match wearing shorts instead of 4 layers of clothing.

Paul

Magic ??

Whose going up to Newcastle next weekend then? I will be going up for the day only, not staying over. We (Wire) have got the pies, and I feel that will be a bigger test than Leeds last week. I actually thought last weeks game v Leeds was one of the best games I've seen for quite some time, I bet the neutrals liked it as well.

Toronto on Sunday, should be a win, but possibly a horrid banana skin. Just hope we get no more injuries,

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Just back from a week in Zante, watched Saints hammer Cas in the cup whilst the commentators on the bbc watched a different game to me (they kept saying how cas outplayed us when we were 12-0 up all the way until we finished them off!)

Back to work tomorrow so I’ll watch the magic game on catchup.

News today that Hardaker has signed officially for Wigan. Let’s hop this undoubtably gifted lad can keep out of bother, but I won’t be betting on it.

Grand Master
    Rick, I think you must’ve been on the ouzo.......or your sunglasses are rose- tinted

For me Cas were definitely the better side in the 1st half, Sts tries were both a bit fortunate. Second half belonged to Sts, can't dispute that, but I don’t think the score reflected the match. Having said that I was glad Sts won, I was smarting over Trinity’s defeat on Friday night so the last thing I wanted was to have the Cas fans crowing.

Just hope we beat Hudds on Sunday, our season’s turning a bit pear-shaped and we need to win games against the lesser sides if we’re to make top 8.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rick, I think you must’ve been on the ouzo.......or your sunglasses are rose- tinted

For me Cas were definitely the better side in the 1st half, Sts tries were both a bit fortunate. Second half belonged to Sts, can't dispute that, but I don’t think the score reflected the match. Having said that I was glad Sts won, I was smarting over Trinity’s defeat on Friday night so the last thing I wanted was to have the Cas fans crowing.

Just hope we beat Hudds on Sunday, our season’s turning a bit pear-shaped and we need to win games against the lesser sides if we’re to make top 8.

Paul

I thought it was close, but they in no way outplayed us. The way Jiffy was going on was embarrassing. Cas couldn’t finish any moves off in the first half, we threw the ball around and lost possession 3 or 4 times in good territory with tackles left, the 2 long range counter attacks weren’t the only time we had the ball.

No matter, a win is a win. And I was drinking Mythos beer.

Blog Entries
    Another good win for Saints against Cas.

Powell again a sore loser, blaming the ref (as did the crowd, chanting “cheat!”) but the reality is that the worst decisions actually went in Cas’s favor, including a try that was a knock-on and two more tries being passed up to video ref and being disallowed.

Shadow of 2017 looms large over Cas but the reality is they aren’t the same team, missing the 3 best players of last season in Hardaker, Gale and Eden they’re unlikely to get anywhere near the heights.

At the same time, a potential banana skin has been avoided by Saints, and I still feel we haven’t clicked into top gear yet.

COYS!

Grand Master
    Watched it this morning, didn`t know the score, but I guessed who would would win by half-time. Agree about the ref's decisions, the crowd were guilty of seeing what they wanted to see. Barba's try was a cracker, but credit should also go to Liam Watts for chasing back hard and preventing him getting under the posts.

At the moment, with the players who are out through injury, Cas are struggling a bit and Saints were always likely to win.

Bottom 4 beckons for my lot if they lose tonight, and I fear they will.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Great match tonight. I bet the atmosphere was electric!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Great match tonight. I bet the atmosphere was electric!
    Yeah, good atmosphere! Wigan didn’t bring many fans, understandable for a Thurday evening trans-penine game on TV. Possibly our best performance of the season, Unfortunately I couldn’t watch it again on TV because wifey didn’t record it properly!

Our forwards really showed up tonight, Pauli Pauli, Dave Fafita and England were excellent. Mighty Trin march on but we’ve still got work to do to clinch a top 8 spot.

We have a good home record against Wigan in recent seasons.....long may it continue.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 12th June 2018 at 21:17.

Blog Entries
    Well whilst I hope Trinity have some good fortune, tomorrow night is not one of them!

One of only two teams to beat St Helens this season, alongside Leeds (who were avenged 2 weeks ago ina rollercoaster game) I’m not taking Trinity lightly. Their pack has more size and aggression than ours however I think we have a little more craft through Barb/Lomax/Richardson.

Nice to see our coach Holbrook is still playing strongest available team in every game as he has all season) and resisting calls to rest players.

Top 4 is looking like a choice of saints/Wigan/Warrington/Cas/hull fc based on the season up to yet but it might still change.

Leeds look out on their feet and they’re really digging deep to fill the front line up, including one player coming out of retirement this week to play at Headingley....

🤣

Grand Master
    Saints 34 Trinity 30..........Glad we weren’t on the receiving end of a hammering tonight but it’s mighty frustrating to lose by a narrow margin. Finn missed a kick he should’ve kicked, then hit the post with a harder one. First score of the game should’ve been a try to Trinity, how the referee didn’t give a penalty try is beyond me....why didn’t he consult the screen???

Last try for Saints looked very much like a double movement, but the ref doesn’t bother going to the screen to check!

We lost the game owing to some poor defending at key points, but a couple of poor refereeing decisions certainly didn’t help, and that’s putting it mildly.

The worry for us is the injury to Batchelor, and Anthony England with an ice oack on at the end of the game. We MUST beat Catalans next weekend to virtually clinch top 8. A win tonight would’ve been priceless and we certainly went close.

Fingers crossed for a Castleford win at Catalans tomorrow, that would do us a big favour! We’ve lost too many games by narrow margins this season, we should’ve been safe for top 8 by now.........but you don’t get anything for a narrow defeat except the consollation of keeping your points difference in good shape.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Saints 34 Trinity 30..........Glad we weren’t on the receiving end of a hammering tonight but it’s mighty frustrating to lose by a narrow margin. Finn missed a kick he should’ve kicked, then hit the post with a harder one. First score of the game should’ve been a try to Trinity, how the referee didn’t give a penalty try is beyond me....why didn’t he consult the screen???

Last try for Saints looked very much like a double movement, but the ref doesn’t bother going to the screen to check!

We lost the game owing to some poor defending at key points, but a couple of poor refereeing decisions certainly didn’t help, and that’s putting it mildly.

The worry for us is the injury to Batchelor, and Anthony England with an ice oack on at the end of the game. We MUST beat Catalans next weekend to virtually clinch top 8. A win tonight would’ve been priceless and we certainly went close.

Fingers crossed for a Castleford win at Catalans tomorrow, that would do us a big favour! We’ve lost too many games by narrow margins this season, we should’ve been safe for top 8 by now.........but you don’t get anything for a narrow defeat except the consollation of keeping your points difference in good shape.

Paul
    Was a good win for us but I acknowledge there was an element of luck involved however we had another gear, we only switched into it for ten minutes in the second half.

I’ve yet to watch it on Sky and I was too far away to see it at the match but I believe the try was a double movement.

The penalty try incident wasn’t cut and dried enough, and we missed two conversions too.

Once again there was some inconsistencies in refereeing, a couple of what looked like forward passes on the pitch and double standards for pinging high tackles.

We seemed to be penalized (Matty lees in particular) but some decisions went our way.

All in all your big forwards were hard to handle as I expected, and if you play like that against everyone else there’s only Wigan, Hull and Warrington I can see beating you, all things being equal.

Blog Entries
    Oh when the saints

Go marching in

Oh when the saints go marching in!

I want to be, in that number!

Oh when the saints go marching on!

Blog Entries
    Wakefield smash Hull 72-10

What a game!

(Awaits Paul’s input..)

Grand Master
    Wakey........Wakey Wakey........Wakey Wakey.........lets go party

Beer is being drunk in copious quantity, we needed to win today but I never saw this coming!

I`ll enjoy the Super league Show this week, that's for sure.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd July 2018 at 19:31.

Well Wakey produced an amazing show didnt they, just hoping we dont get the same treatment at saints this thursday.

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Well Wakey produced an amazing show didnt they, just hoping we dont get the same treatment at saints this thursday.

Stuart

Well, not such a resounding victory but Richardson’s penalty from 55 yards after the hooter had gone was the difference between the two teams in the end, but I thought the ref had an extremely inconsistent game, with different decisions for identical errors/foul play.

Some high tackles unpunished, some horrendous uncontrolled PTB unpunished and some gamesmanship.

Disappointed to see Warrington following Wigan’s tactic of trapping the tacklers arm at the PTB, deliberately playing the ball into a prone player and generally attempting to milk penalties.

I suppose if teams think it’s the only way to beat us, they’re gonna use those tactics.

And How Chris Hill gets away with talking/screaming at the ref like that I’ll never know!

Craftsman
    ….and LMS is always whiter than white isn't he!!!! Ref did have a bit of a shocker though.

Well done Saints coming back after half time though, showed plenty of determination and a change to their game plan, Richardson's kick on the hooter was full of pressure. Fair play.

On the bright side for me as a Warrington fan, Cooper was excellent

Well, not such a resounding victory but Richardson’s penalty from 55 yards after the hooter had gone was the difference between the two teams in the end, but I thought the ref had an extremely inconsistent game, with different decisions for identical errors/foul play.

Some high tackles unpunished, some horrendous uncontrolled PTB unpunished and some gamesmanship.

Disappointed to see Warrington following Wigan’s tactic of trapping the tacklers arm at the PTB, deliberately playing the ball into a prone player and generally attempting to milk penalties.

I suppose if teams think it’s the only way to beat us, they’re gonna use those tactics.

And How Chris Hill gets away with talking/screaming at the ref like that I’ll never know!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimnic007 View Post
    ….and LMS is always whiter than white isn't he!!!! Ref did have a bit of a shocker though.

Well done Saints coming back after half time though, showed plenty of determination and a change to their game plan, Richardson's kick on the hooter was full of pressure. Fair play.

On the bright side for me as a Warrington fan, Cooper was excellent
    He gets up opposition noses but I can’t remember LMS screaming in the refs face?

He’s embarrassing sometimes how he celebrates a penalty or knock-on by the opposition as if he’s won the challenge cup, grand final and the Victoria Cross....

I used to rate Hill but all that Maloudi bite nonsense made me notice how often he pushes his arm into the face of the guy on the floor, but cries to the ref about everything.

Westwood is just an old-style prop, a bit dirty sometimes but gives it and takes it. Hill could learn a lot from him IMHO.

Grand Master
    Just watchd the Catalans-Saints semi final............didn’t see that coming!

I’ll be a Wembley for the final........Allez Les Catalans! (sorry Rick)

If the Loiners win I have a dilemma, one of our crowd is a Leeds fan so we’ll have to get tickets for the Leeds end to keep him happy........lets see how it pans out.

Paul

Craftsman
    Just watchd the Catalans-Saints semi final............didn’t see that coming!

I’ll be a Wembley for the final........Allez Les Catalans! (sorry Rick)

If the Loiners win I have a dilemma, one of our crowd is a Leeds fan so we’ll have to get tickets for the Leeds end to keep him happy........lets see how it pans out.

Paul
    Cracking match, brilliant atmosphere & as you said “did not see that one coming”
    Now hoping for a Leeds win, ( you can’t believe how hard it is for a pie-eater to say that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I`m happy with the Warrington win.

Both matches were one-sided, not surprised at the Loiners getting beat, King Kevin's got work to do there.

Both winning sides played the same way....should make for an interesting final.

Allez les Catalans

Paul

Blog Entries
    Catalans were good for the win, those points scored before half time when we were a man down left us too much of a hill to climb.

Tommy Makinson is not a centre, but our forwards (excluding Thompson and LMS) were bullied, we couldn’t hold the ball and the booking was harsh imho, but the ref calls it as he sees it.

They stopped us playing quickly in the first half, 3 men in every tackle and made the most of it up the middle. They came out to spoil a bit I n the second half, defend their lead and both teams got what they deserved.

I’d like to see Catalans win it now, nothing against Wire but the dragons have really turned their season around and the fans deserve some success. I said earlier in the season that they bring nothing to Superleague and at the time I was right, but now they’ve got their act together and with Tomkins going there next season who knows?

Yours,

Disappointed of St Helens

Well, didn't see either of those results coming to be honest.

I am glad Saints got stuffed, and royally stuffed as well, purely because of the attitude and actions of LMS at the home game where he deliberately ran at our guys and laughed in their faces when Richardson kicked the pen to win the game. No need, just not right that. Hell of a kick mind. Also the reaction at the draw of the Saints fans when they drew Catalans. Arrogant beyond belief.

Our game I actually thought would be a lot tougher for us, with Leeds basically having nothing left to play for. That was their season right there. Their one hope of getting some respectability out of what must be for them, a total failure of a season. Leeds look like a shadow of their former selves and Sir Kev has one big job on there.

We have Les Cats this weekend, I think we'll struggle, and again against Cas next week, but I'm confident of a Wembley Win. And you know what, I'd take losses the next two weeks if we learn and come back darn souf and do the cats there.

Stuart

Grand Master
    Just booked my tickets yesterday.......I need to brush up on my ‘O’ level French

It’ll be an interesting final, that’s for sure!

Relieved to see Rick’s post, I feared he’d drowned himself in a vat of beer on Sunday! I expected Catalans to make a decent fist of it but I honestly couldn’t see Saints losing, it must’ve come as a shock to the fans.

Have to admire the fitness level of Catalans, their big lads were brilliant all through the game despite the heat, I guess they’re used to it in the south of France but it still doesn’t make it easy.

Back in my running days I could always cope well with hot weather but I never enjoyed it; it’s a bit like getting kicked in the balls every 10 minutes, you’d get used to it but you’re never going to enjoy it!

Paul

Blog Entries

Well it’s been coming to be fair, we haven’t been brilliant for a few weeks and maybe this will focus us.

We gave a lead to Hull a couple of weeks back and fought back to a win, had a hard derby against Wigan and got out of jail against Wire after gifting them a lead and giving away silly penalties and I get the vibe that some players believed the hype and thought we were invincible, and that we’d blow them away second half as we have with teams so many times this season.

Interesting that whilst Barbs is carrying an injury according to Holbrook, he’s been named in the squad for the Giants game on Friday.

For me Barba looked out of sorts, badly positioned (for a fullback) for two Dragons tries and unwilling to get under some of the big players. He looked like he was avoiding contact to me, which could be this injury he is carrying or damage prevention (maybe with an eye on an NRL move at the end of the season?)

Over on the St Helens forum there’s a distinct lack of common sense about this, with people writing the season off saying we will lose every game now because teams have found us out, and end the season potless. It’s overreaction of the highest order!

LMS is LMS at the end of the day, and he likes to wind up the opposition but that all started with the needle from Chris Hill and then the nonsense in the corner with line ham putting his head into Barba’s face and Kevin Brown forearm smashing Richardson whilst the melee was going on.

Finally, I was embarrassed at the Saints fans reaction to the draw, it was disrespectful. The catalans team was (at that time) a good draw but people booking hotels for wembley etc was just stupid. McNamara had been using that video to motivate the players.

I just hope there’s a lot of tickets sold, with Catalans unlikely to have a huge traveling support and I hate to see Wembley not filled up. If it was up to me I’d have the Challenge Cup final at the Etihad, much better for “heartland” fans, smaller capacity so easier to fill, not daylight robbery for the fans (ticket prices/food/beer/parking), excellent transport links etc etc etc. I won’t be going to wembley as a neutral (last went in 2008 and it took 5 hours to get to the motorway and 5 hours to get home!) but I do go to the grand final every year regardless and would go somewhere like the Etihad (or Anfield, or another big ground)

Blog Entries
    Saints lost again to Huddersfield by 4 points. Poor defending by Barba under the high ball gifted them 2 tries and 16-6 at half time became 16-12.

Blog Entries
    And the RFL unveils it’s plans to boost CCF ticket sales.....

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/gl-l...enge-cup-final

£77% discounts, £50 tickets for £15!

What a shambles!

And the RFL unveils it’s plans to boost CCF ticket sales.....

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/gl-l...enge-cup-final

£77% discounts, £50 tickets for £15!

What a shambles!
    Well, there lies a lesson for the supporters of expansion I guess. Whilst I think the overall idea is good, the reality is somewhat different. RL IMO is and will be for the foreseeable a M62 corridor sport. I see little benefit of playing games as muted, at the Ricoh Arena or other such places where RL is a minority, or non existent sport. Get the game right in the heartlands first, get it thriving and vibrant, so people want to come and watch it. When people are travelling to see our game, then take it to them and develop there.

The RL must be having crisis meetings now about the Wembley final. I am obviously happy that we are there, but it has all the hallmarks and potential of being the lowest final attendance for some time. And something else to consider for all those advocates of expansion, imagine if you can, a Toronto v Catalans final. Now that may be years away, but what if, just if, it did happen, I dread to think of that as a sellable event.

Stuart

Grand Master
    I’m looking forward to the Wembley final but I share your concerns regarding attendance.

I think the problem goes a bit deeper than the obvious fact that Catalans will bring limited support. Having the final right in the middle of holiday season is always going to have an effect, even if people are available they’re financially recovering from their holidays. Making the annual Wembley pilgrimage isn’t cheap thesedays, especially if you’re going with a family. Ticket prices have risen sharply over the past few years, I’ve paid £55 this time and that’s enough to make any true Yorky squeal!

Holding the semi-final so close to the final is another factor, it leaves precious little time to organise things. That’s particularly true this year for Les Catalans, I hope they bring a reasonable number but I fear they won’t.

Challenge Cup is still a great competition but the RL need to re-think a few aspects and improve the marketing. I’d be disappointed if it moved from Wembley but perhaps there’s a case to consider doing so.

One interesting point re. this years’s final: as it’s the 50th anniversary of the famous ‘68 watersplash final (Leeds v Wakey) with the infamous goal kick at the end, missed by the late Don Fox, the RL invited Neil Fox (Don’s brother, and a true legend in the game) to present the Cup this year. Ironically, Neil missed that game through injury; had he played the outcome would almost certainly have been different. For reasons best known to himself Neil has declined the RL’s offer!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Great game tonight. Wakefield were a handful until the last 20 mins even though we were never behind.

Nice to get back into the winning groove after back to back losses

Grand Master

r4

I didn’t get to the game last night, wife’s recovering after a back operation so I stayed in and watched the match on TV.

Saints were worthy winners, no question about that, I think their defence was excellent all night. Having had the best of the first 20 mins, with numerous opportunities to put points on the board, Trinity came up with nothing due to Saints defence and some poor options in attack. Our last tackle plays need to improve, a good example was when Huby ended up kicking on the last play, ball goes dead, Saints capitalise on the 20 metre restart and end up scoring against the run of play.

For me, the game went away from Wakefield immediately after Pauli’s try in the second half whilst we were down to 12 men. We’ve 3 more minutes with 12, we’ve got ball in hand, sensible move is to play out the set, kick into touch, defend from the scrum on Saints 10 metre line, then get back to 13 men as Huby returns. Instead, Jacob Miller goes for glory, with a poor pass that Pauli drops on the halfway line. Saints get posession and immediately score. Poor game management; OK, the momentum was with Wakey and Saints were looking a bit vulnerable.....but playing ‘safety first’ should’ve been the priority. Miller’s a good player but he has a habit of taking wrong options, I can’t see him ever changing.

Disappointed to hear that Fafita’s out for the rest of the season with a groin injury, he’s returning to
    Aus early to get sorted. He’ll be missed, he adds a lot to our team and his enthusiasm is clear to see.

I think Saints will kick on from this game, Wakey made it hard for them but Saints defended doggedly when they had to. The typical Saints quality of being able to step up a gear and score quick tries saw them home. Business as usual?......possibly!

Apart from a couple of wrong decisions (one for each side) I thought the ref had an excellent game too.

Wembley next week....should be fun!

Blog Entries
    I didn’t get to the game last night, wife’s recovering after a back operation so I stayed in and watched the match on TV.

Saints were worthy winners, no question about that, I think their defence was excellent all night. Having had the best of the first 20 mins, with numerous opportunities to put points on the board, Trinity came up with nothing due to Saints defence and some poor options in attack. Our last tackle plays need to improve, a good example was when Huby ended up kicking on the last play, ball goes dead, Saints capitalise on the 20 metre restart and end up scoring against the run of play.

For me, the game went away from Wakefield immediately after Pauli’s try in the second half whilst we were down to 12 men. We’ve 3 more minutes with 12, we’ve got ball in hand, sensible move is to play out the set, kick into touch, defend from the scrum on Saints 10 metre line, then get back to 13 men as Huby returns. Instead, Jacob Miller goes for glory, with a poor pass that Pauli drops on the halfway line. Saints get posession and immediately score. Poor game management; OK, the momentum was with Wakey and Saints were looking a bit vulnerable.....but playing ‘safety first’ should’ve been the priority. Miller’s a good player but he has a habit of taking wrong options, I can’t see him ever changing.

Disappointed to hear that Fafita’s out for the rest of the season with a groin injury, he’s returning to
    Aus early to get sorted. He’ll be missed, he adds a lot to our team and his enthusiasm is clear to see.

I think Saints will kick on from this game, Wakey made it hard for them but Saints defended doggedly when they had to. The typical Saints quality of being able to step up a gear and score quick tries saw them home. Business as usual?......possibly!

Apart from a couple of wrong decisions (one for each side) I thought the ref had an excellent game too.

Wembley next week....should be fun!
    Any truth in the “Fifita to Wire” rumors? I hope not fore Trinity’s sake....

I’d love him at saints, we need a big man with a bit of dog in him. If KR go down I’d like to see us in for Masoe to see what Holbrook could do with him, and Mulhern.

To me, Amor isn’t big enough to be a big prop, but not a good enough ballplayer to be a fast mobile prop.

Back to the game, I thought the ref was good. Not perfect (I don’t see how they ever will be) but solid and no howlers.

Grand Master
    I’m fairly sure the ‘Fifita to Wire’ rumour has no factual basis.........I certanly hope that’s the case! He’s a talisman at Wakey, v. effective on the field, popular with everyone. His sheer enthusiasm is great to see, no matter how tough the game is he always looks like he’s enjoying it. Both big Dave and Pauli Pauli are characters, we need more of them in the game thesedays. At Saints, LMS always excudes enthusiasm in a similiar way, he can be annoying with the frequent compaining to the ref but I guess thats all part of his exhuberent character.

There seems to be a shortage of really good props at the moment, plenty of average-decent players around but few real standouts. Good ball-playing forwards are all too rare too, best one we’ve had in recent years was Ali Lautiti but his best years were already behind him at Leeds.

Given the budget limitations at Wakey I think we’ve got a very good squad and there’s an argument that we’ve under-achived this year. We’ve been lucky with injuries compared to most teams yet we’ve still been inconsistent, particularly during the latter end of the regular season. I question the coaching, the Chester/ Kear combination last season was more effective and losing Kear has cost us.

Blog Entries
    Wigan bound allegedly?

Wane said: "I don't know all the details of what Zak has done - I would never ask him about that.

"But I know him as a person, I've met him many times and he's a fantastic character.

"There will be more to it but I'm not really interested, I just know Zak is a very good player and we want good people at this club”

Interesting.....
    https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2...c3OcSgVvhLi.99

“Fantastic Character” Hardaker arrested for drinking and driving and there are rumors that class A drugs were found on someone in the car.

Craftsman
    https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2...c3OcSgVvhLi.99

“Fantastic Character” Hardaker arrested for drinking and driving and there are rumors that class A drugs were found on someone in the car.
    Drink driving, no insurance & no MOT allegedly. Not heard about any drugs in the car but wouldn’t surprise me. As a Wigan fan I was not keen on him coming and thought the club made a mistake . However Lenagan & Wane must have thought he would stay on the straight n narrow being on his last chance. I won’t hang him out to dry just yet as many Wigan fans are soliton social media, rather let the legal system run its course. If he is then found guilty I’d drop him quicker than a leper’s turd, rip up his contract and give the shirt to Escare.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Drink driving, no insurance & no MOT allegedly. Not heard about any drugs in the car but wouldn’t surprise me. As a Wigan fan I was not keen on him coming and thought the club made a mistake . However Lenagan & Wane must have thought he would stay on the straight n narrow being on his last chance. I won’t hang him out to dry just yet as many Wigan fans are soliton social media, rather let the legal system run its course. If he is then found guilty I’d drop him quicker than a leper’s turd, rip up his contract and give the shirt to Escare.

Rumor has it Wane didn’t want him, or to lose Sam and that had an influence on his decision to leave.

I noticed that Lenegan did all the PR stuff when he signed.

Grand Master
    I heard the news about Hardaker a few days ago. How many last chances does the guy need? It'll be interesting to see how his future at Wigan pans out, but I can`t see it ending well.

On to more positive things....who's going to win the Super League Grand Final this year? I think it's wide open, really can`t predict it at this stage. Wigan have surprised me, with all the ups and downs at the club I thought they'd fall away, but they've done the opposite and hit some good form.

It'll all come down to who plays well on the day in each match, really can`t see a favourite at this stage.

Just watched the Aussie Grand Final, first Aussie match I`ve watched for a while. What impresses me was the lack of messing around at the play the ball, that's an area that needs to improve in our game. Possibly having two refs helps?

Paul

Blog Entries
    I heard the news about Hardaker a few days ago. How many last chances does the guy need? It'll be interesting to see how his future at Wigan pans out, but I can`t see it ending well.

On to more positive things....who's going to win the Super League Grand Final this year? I think it's wide open, really can`t predict it at this stage. Wigan have surprised me, with all the ups and downs at the club I thought they'd fall away, but they've done the opposite and hit some good form.

It'll all come down to who plays well on the day in each match, really can`t see a favourite at this stage.

Just watched the Aussie Grand Final, first Aussie match I`ve watched for a while. What impresses me was the lack of messing around at the play the ball, that's an area that needs to improve in our game. Possibly having two refs helps?

Paul

Agreed RE NRL. I enjoyed it, and the Roosters are my 2nd team (Nephew lives in Sydney and he sent me a Shirt for my birthday 8 or 9 yrs ago when they first emigrated!

About out GF I expect it to be Saints/Wigan

Barba seems to be coming back into form at the right time for us, and we have got Roby back too.

Cas looked disinterested on Friday, and were doing very little in attack, and warrington have sleepwalked into 4th (having lost 11 league games)

Having said that, anyone can beat anyone on their day but history shows that it’s usually 1st and 2nd in the GF.

I feel Wigan would need to be poor and Cas play at their absolute top, likewise for saints and wolves. If both teams in both semis play at their best, I don’t see anything other than a Saints/Wigan final.

Blog Entries
    Well!

That showed me!!!

I guess that makes me an honorary Tiger for the next ten days!