closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help! Gardening/Grounds' Care in the south of France

Help! Gardening/Grounds' Care in the south of France

We're taking a working holiday to Avignon in February to help our friends move there. One of my tasks is to set up the gardening/grounds's care contract for them for the 5 months they are there and 7 months they aren't. While I have experience with this sort of contract, that would be in the UK and not the south of France with a, ahem, slightly different climate!

So apart from how the climate affects the garden I have no idea of the labour charges over there, daily charge, etc, etc, so any insight or information would be very much appreciated. This is not a "holiday home" for them, One of our friends works in Brussels and the other has an online business, so it's a more of a second home than holiday home.

They also have an outdoor pool which will need looking after, and I have next-to-no experience with those.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts please? Much appreciated!

Have you thought about contacting one of the local British ex-pats organisations in the area? There will be plenty of other Brits who will need properties looked after in their absence.

Help! Gardening/Grounds' Care in the south of France

Regarding the swimming pool, I ‘ll only have one word: Abrisud.
    Look them up. Pricey but in my view a complete no brainer:
    - completely secures the pool for both children, pets and wildlife ( the first is mandatory in France).
    - virtually eliminates need for maintenance, both in terms of pH balance and clearing up debris. Especially useful if the pool is not used full time.
    - significantly increases water temperature ( on average +5°C) compared to an open pool with just a bubble membrane.
    - it can act as a wind breaker, and on cooler days you can just open one end and swim in much warmer water without any wind chill.
    - a pool is often seen as a liability on the estate market, because of cost of maintenance. Not quite as much in Southern France of course but still valid. In general it is usually accepted that the cost of the cover is recouped when selling the property.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

These guys seem to cover all your garden needs,should give you an idea of costings .
    http://www.bostonservices.fr/jardina...en-jardin.html

Many thanks. I shall follow up all the suggestions with interest!