closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: H.Moser Pioneer Center Seconds (Steel)

Threaded View

H.Moser Pioneer Center Seconds (Steel)

Thought I'd start a thread and put up some pics, thoughts etc on my recently aquired Moser to save derailing the Incoming thread.

Since some folk like a story, (scroll down to the middle if you want to get past the backstory guff)

For a quite a while I've admired independants from from afar, and been enthralled by both their artistry and innovation, but like most people never handled or seen them in the flesh which can make or break a watch.
    One of the independants on my radar was Moser, I'd discussed them many times with animalone and I thought that would have been as close I'd get to one.
    That was until last year when animalone was kind enough to let me sit in on a meeting with Moser, and I got the chance to play with alot of toys that the Moser rep Nicholas had brought with him. (no swiss alp, and no steel sadly at that time)

Ultimately a rep is just that, he's gonna sell you, but what was nice he clearly works in the watch industry because he himself likes watches, and wasn't ashamed to admit he has a sub or two, admired seiko etc and we were able to sit and chat about almost any brand and their merits. I'm fairly sure a rep from a big brand would probably skirt around the existence of other brands let alone discuss them with passion.

Back to the watches, I was impressed by the perpetual and its simplicity in usage, the way the endeavour conformed to the wrist with its curved back, and of course the way their dials have so much depth and color
    In the end I came away thinking, I wanted a perpetual calender, but now It's definately going to be a Moser perpetual.

and of course we need pics from that day.

Part2

Fast forward to the tail end of last year, i'd been thinking for a while of offloading a few bits, and aquiring a Patek 5960/1A (steel, its a complication, oh... it says Patek on the dial),

After selling up and getting most of the money in place, ended up being dinghy'd by the dealer, hey ho it wasn't meant to be.

During this time, I'd asked Nicholas if there were any steel pioneers headed to the UK, turns out Harrods were getting a delivery.

So why the Center Seconds, and not the Full Bhuna Perpetual?
    Simple answer, unless you count Bremont as an independant (?), I've never owned one. So without the experience of aftersales, parts supplies, repairs and overall would I bond in the long run. I opted for the option where I could dip my toe as it were into Moser, and it leaves room to upgrade to a perpetual at a later date.

http://www.h-moser.com/en/collection...ight-blue-dial

Basic Specs
    3 hander, 72hr power reserve, and 21kbhp, and water resistant to 120m

Price : 9.5k

Dimensions (measured roughly with calipers)
    Case Diameter : 42.8mm
    Crystal Diameter : 38.1mm
    Mid Case Thickness : 9.3mm
    Mid Case + Bezel Thickness: 10.58
    Overall Thickness : 14.7mm
    Lug width : 22mm
    Lug to Lug : 51.3mm

On the wrist,
    Yes, 43ish means it wears big for a dressier kind of watch, especially with the very thin bezel which makes the main focal point the dial.
    An identically sized Bremont looks small in comparision.
    As for thickness, yes almost 15mm is maybe a little on the thick side, but visually it is not. The case conforms nicely to the wrist and the bezel creates a visible break in the steel which means the watch looks thinner that it actually is, add to that the crystal is AR coated on one side so its almost invisible most of the time (until you want to take a dial pic it seems)

Overall, am I happy is my plan to upgrade to the perpetual still?
    Yes, I think so the Pioneer is a very comfortable to wear watch, while big its not a dinner plate that screams flash git. Its very subdued in some senses, and the depth of the midnight blue dial gives it a deep 3 dimensional effect.

If I was to change anything?
    Maybe scale down to 41mm, 20mm strap, as it would appeal to a broader audience. (but the endevour is 40ish? so they have that covered, although its less sporty)
    But this isnt a biggie for me as I own a couple of PAMs, and the Sub-Dweller, and they look okay attached to me.

On a NATO?
    Tried it, erm... no.

and here we pics are in all its glory, sorry no wrist shots bar the recycled one from the incomming thread and instagram, the weather has been overcast since it arrived!
    Hopefully tomorrow or next week i'll get some wrist shots and size comparisons :)

The Rubber is super nice, so soft and pliable, and rubber feeling not silicone rubber feeling like the 116655, or super hard rubber like the AP Diver, just nice.
    But Matte Croc won in the end.

Last edited by endo; 12th January 2018 at 18:07.