closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCHAFFEN Kickstarter

Master

SCHAFFEN Kickstarter

Couldn’t resist this one, my hand slipped and I ordered one before I’d even had time to think about it!

https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/01...-i-could-love/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-by?ref=5k66as

Hope it lives up to the pictures, but this looks very up my street! Pretty obvious what the inspirations are, but IWC don’t make the Genta style Ingenieur any more, and their crown guard was too big anyway. There’s also a touch of the Laureato, but I wonder if I actually prefer this take on the bezel. It seems at first sight that they’ve fixed most of my niggles with the Laureato and the old ‘Jumbo’ Ingenieur in fact. Customised writing on the dial, and designing your own rotor is also a good twist. The shape of things to come? Super-early bird pricing still available, £370 was just too tempting... hope it all works out!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 11th January 2018 at 00:03.

Journeyman
    The "High-precision 3D-printed in 316L stainless steel rotor " sounds interesting, does anyone know how 3D printing 316 st/st works, I know how ceramics are done but how do you get metal to re- bond from microscopic grain into a solid again without being brittle ?

Schaff(haus)en indeed :))

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    The "High-precision 3D-printed in 316L stainless steel rotor " sounds interesting, does anyone know how 3D printing 316 st/st works, I know how ceramics are done but how do you get metal to re- bond from microscopic grain into a solid again without being brittle ?
    Fender (the guitar company) used to use bridge saddles (blocks of metal that the string passes over) made from powdered steel, so that they could be moulded. Some sort of very high temperature baking process I think.

Craftsman
    Oh it's the IC Schaffen Ingnir

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Fender (the guitar company) used to use bridge saddles (blocks of metal that the string passes over) made from powdered steel, so that they could be moulded. Some sort of very high temperature baking process I think.
    I've seen high temp and high pressure metal moulding but never 3D printed metal, 3D printed ceramics have to be carefully baked to remove the moisture after printing.
    I've just never seen it done with metal, I'd hazzard a guess the finish is not exactly glossy so lots of polishing would be required after printing, and dimensional accuracy would be controlled by grain size and machine resolution.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    ‘Create’ in German, which is convenient coincidence ;-)

Actually it’s another detail they’ve got right, a convincing looking brand name / logo on a watch from a small brand is always tricky and often lets down the dial, but this is convincing - as well as reminding you of a certain other brand of course. We’ll see about the textured dial, the only element I’m not 100% about, but then the very flat dial was one of my complaints about the last Genta style Ingy.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 11th January 2018 at 00:05.

Both are attractive watches, but for me the Ingy is just too similar. I like the dressier watch, and with all (most) of these KS projects it seems like good value - not sure how detailed the rotor could be though. The one on WWR doesn't look fantastic imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Both are attractive watches, but for me the Ingy is just too similar.
    For me that’s half the appeal. I always fancied the Ingy but found it slightly oversized, not due to the 40mm case size so much as the wide, flat crown guards that blended in with the case, and made it look like 44mm from some angles - though it was at least nice and thin. The chunky H link bracelet was also a big part of the attraction.

Probably done with a Metal Laser Sintering machine (3D printer). Powdered metal is fused layer by layer using a laser. The finish is not that great and would need post machining or polishing.

Master
    In a weird twist of fate, the dial appears to match the carpet in a hotel I was in yesterday....

Any thoughts on preferred dial colour? Grey seems a safe bet but the white looks good too. I’m also looking for inspiration on the custom rotor design if anyone has any thoughts or examples. I’ve bagged number 009 after they offered a choice of numbers.

Looks like it’s more than funded now but still available at super-early bird price of £372. Has anyone else grabbed one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Has anyone else grabbed one?
    Yep, i have. What's near enough a 3227 for less than £400? That's a no brainer IMO. Grey dial for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    Yep, i have. What's near enough a 3227 for less than £400? That's a no brainer IMO. Grey dial for me.
    That’s what I thought - and with a decent auto movement and some personalisation to make it a bit more special. One hell of a beater if nothing else. It would be interesting to see what people are planning with the customisation options.

Master
    The movement was a real selling point for me, i've only got one watch with a Sellita movement, an Eterna, and it's the most accurate watch i own.

I'm mulling rotor designs, but in all honesty i like theirs so i may just go for one of them.

Craftsman
    Liking the look of the sports one, can't decide which dial colour though. One of each is probably a bit ott!

Journeyman
    Interested in the s65 royal blue but still concern on real color look and weight

Master
    Sounds like a butterfly clasp is coming as a stretch goal - great news as a bracelet like that deserves a nice seamless clasp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's definitely a look of the 3227 IWC about the sports model with hints of the PP Nautilus bracelet

Journeyman
    Further pic of the Royal Blue that I received in my email after message him on KS. And the weight of S65 is at 140g.

Last edited by torsinsit; 17th January 2018 at 01:08.

Craftsman
    Photo's not working mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks OP for highlighting this project. S65 pledge placed. I really like the design and personalisation options. Seems fun.👍

Master
    Just a quick note to say that a butterfly clasp and bracelet screws rather than pins have been confirmed as a stretch goal if they sell another 20% before the end of the campaign, which seems likely. In any case it will be avialable as an option even if they don’t get there. Pretty much the only two things I’d have changed really. Perhaps a more decorated movement would have been a good option, but probably not if it pushed the price up, the low price is half the point. There’s also a leather strap for the S65 as a more distant stretch goal, I don’t know if they’ll make that target but presumably it will also be available as an option at additional cost if they don’t.

Probably the more plausible of the two kickstarters being discussed on the forum currently, all things considered!

I’ve ordered one of the sport models. It combines a number of design cues I like from the more expensive inspiration pieces, in a decent size at just under 40mm.

The ability to adjust the bracelet was my only concern, but looks to have a fix with the first stretch goal. Just need to be creative with the rotor design.

Probably the more plausible of the two kickstarters being discussed on the forum currently, all things considered!
    Nah, my money's on the McAnus with a night of pleasure with a lady from his stable of his choice as a stretch!

M

Craftsman
    I wonder if the s65 will cost 40% more after tha campaine.
    I funded the ventus mori brass on kickstarter last year and when the public could buy it later same year the price was the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    I wonder if the s65 will cost 40% more after tha campaine.
    I funded the ventus mori brass on kickstarter last year and when the public could buy it later same year the price was the same.

Does it really matter though? The way I see it you either want to support the watch being built and you like the price or you don’t, and I was pleased to get number 9. I guess the idea of an early bird discount is quite motivating, but the price might depend on demand in the long run. I had the Nezumi chronograph Kickstarter and it did go up later on, so it does happen. A good watch too, though I let it go the end - but at these kinds of prices it’s just not a big deal to move them on if you don’t bond. Personally I hope Schaffen sell a few more before the end of the campaign, they are tantalisingly close to the first stretch goal now with six days to go.

Really looking forward to it! If only every watch cost this kind of price (I think there’s another thread about that...)

Master
    In case anyone is interested or on the fence, they've just announced that they will definitely be doing the first stretch goal for the the S65, which is the butterfly clasp and bracelet screws instead of pins (regardless of whether they make their target). This is a great as the Ingenieur-like bracelet really deserved a smooth clasp and will be much easier to adjust. They've also brought the second stretch goal of an optional leather strap a lot closer, though there would have to be a late surge in these last couple of days to get there I think.

Been fence sitting on this, but I've finally bitten.

Looks like a great 'suit' watch.

I'm going for 'hotel carpet grey'

No idea what's going on my rotor though...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th February 2018 at 17:01.

Craftsman
    I held off, maybe a few more photos would have helped but am still not sure about the carpet effect.

SCHAFFEN Kickstarter

So tempted by this KS, question is though do you really personalize it or play it safe and keep it neutral?

You may want to flip it if it’s not to your taste??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If you don't touch the dial, you can always change the rotor.
    You can still pre order

If you don't touch the dial, you can always change the rotor.
    You can still pre order
    I've been offered a unique serial number of my choosing (sure others have too) and will probably try and customise the rotor (I'm thinking of working the shape of the Matterhorn into it, if they can), but I'll leave the dial alone.

M

Master
    The finish on the bracelet looks really good, makes you think how the Gerald genta watches charge what they do

Banned
    What a lovely watch , reminds me off an audermars piquet

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    What a lovely watch , reminds me off an audermars piquet
    Is that the one that pushes other watches off your wrist on request?

M

More colour options please Schaffen! Yellow dial would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Quite.

I believe they missed a trick by not naming it the "Inge-near". ;)

Craftsman
    Are you starting to get the watches?

^

Nope — try as I may, I just don’t get the “homage” thing.

Master
    Are you starting to get the watches?
    They have released a few photos of finished rotors on Instagram, I’m assuming they are among the first. I’m not expecting mine soon as I haven’t managed to nail down the custom rotor design. I’d love to see anyone else’s designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^

Nope — try as I may, I just don’t get the “homage” thing.
    Very funny, but I’m not sure this is exactly a homage in the usual sense. More of a cross between homages to the Ingenieur and Laureato, with some original ideas and custom elements thrown in for good measure. Either way, given that IWC don’t seem to want Genta’s Ingenieur, someone else might as well have a go.

[...]Either way, given that IWC don’t seem to want Genta’s Ingenieur, someone else might as well have a go.
    Ha, very good point.

Craftsman
    Anyone got their watch gents?

Nah. The sports version has been delayed to the autumn.

Craftsman
    Direct Metal Laser Melting (DMLM). This additive manufacturing process uses a high-powered laser to melt and fuse successive layers of powdered metal into three-dimensional solid parts.

Quote taken from https://www.starrapid.com/

Last time I looked into 3D metal printing the finish was a little 'granular' that needed polishing and finishing. The finish on the rotor pics though looks very good, so perhaps the technology has pushed much closer to jewellery standards.

Damned impressive watch for the price!

Craftsman
    Anything new here?

Pretty sure last I saw was an 'improved' model of the S65 (mostly the bracelet, I recall) will be shipped to backers by October.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th September 2018 at 17:10.

Apprentice
    The way I read the KS updates, they started shipping the A65 (dress watch version) some days ago. Haven't seen any feedback for that one though, neither in the comments nor pics popping up on Instagram. Would love to know what backers think.

This was a response to a comment on their KS page about the delay to the S65, a couple of months ago.

At the moment, the S65 bracelet is still being manufactured and we will update you regarding the upgrades once we have the first batch of bracelets with us! There are no further delays on production.

The reason we gave till September/October is because each custom rotor has to be individually finished and then assembled with the timepiece, which takes time. While the components will be ready by August, depending on order sequence, some timepieces may take till September to complete and sent out thereafter, which is why we catered till October for the delivery.

As we are in contact with each backer individually, we will send updates and the tracking number to each individual backer, along with photos of the timepiece and the custom rotor when they are ready, so you have something to look forward to (: Thank you again for your patience!

M

Master
    I’m in touch with them, and they say that they now have completed QC and have the parts of the S65 in their workshop. They were keen to finally get my rotor design so they can create the watch. At long last I’ve settled on something. I’m curious to see what others have done. It turns out personalisation is a mixed blessing - there’s something to be said for someone very talented designing a watch for you.

I’m curious to see what others have done.
    I went with a theme of the Matterhorn, as I'd found the mountain rather remarkable on a trip to Zermatt (and not to celebrate my wife breaking her leg there! )

The render of the dial isn't quite right, as I've gone for a no-date dial, but, like you, I'm interested in what will arrive

M