closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Military Omega Dial Question

Military Omega Dial Question

Dear Forum,

I would be interested to hear opinions on the seemingly haphazard way the dial on this military Omega has been touched up.

I have heard a theory that often when a watch went to the Ministry of Defence for repair, the lume would be expertly (ahem) re-touched by hand.

My story is that this adds to the rich character of the watch - and I'm sticking to it :twisted:

Regards,
    Mean

It's certainly true that the MoD made and refurbished dials so who knows? That one is certainly clumsy enough to have been done by the MoD.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Did the MoD have an in-house shop, or did they contract out the work?

The lume could on the watch have been touched up by just about anyone, need not have been the MoD guys. While the MoD redials are usually not as good as the ones done at the factory, I have never seen such a botched job.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Interesting . . . .

What would be your advice if I wanted to sell it ?

Leave it as is or attempt to get it tidied up ?

It was my grandfathers watch and left to my Dad who passed it on to me -but has little to no sentimental value to either of us.

Regards,
    Mean

Grand Master
    Not that I am an expert on trading vintage watches, but my (acutely passive) understanding is that for resale value, the more original condition, the better.

If I were to keep it, I would consider exploring whether a cleanup of the dial would be feasible.

It is a very nice timepiece with great family provenance -- think twice before you part with it. :wink:

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

though decision.....

it is probably not easy correcting this without leaving traces on the dial.....

luminous compound seems to interact with the paint on the dial most of the time... so if you would just correct the lume that would leave some discolouration where the 'blobs' have been....

I would probably have it corrected.... but am aware that that could lead to a redial...

Jeroen

I wonder if there are spare original dials out there for sale.

That would be an option . . . . .

Regards,

I wonder if there are spare original dials out there for sale
    Very unlikely, and if there were they would command a hefty price. My advice is to leave the watch as is. It's in original condition, and the lume is no worse than many examples of MOD issue watches I've seen. In fact, I'd be as bold to to say that it looks fine as it is - if you don't want it, you're welcome to send it to me :wink: Seriously though, IMHO, leave it just as it is.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Not that I am an expert on trading vintage watches, but my (acutely passive) understanding is that for resale value, the more original condition, the better.

If I were to keep it, I would consider exploring whether a cleanup of the dial would be feasible.

It is a very nice timepiece with great family provenance -- think twice before you part with it. :wink:

Crusader
    I agree with Martin, particularly the last sentence.