closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Car Interiors

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Now that looks more like it. (Although it would still fail the easy upgradability test).
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    (1) Compatibility. Connectivity is one of the most important things nowadays, and that implies the need for upgradability over the life of a car.

(2) Isn't satnav enough of a justification in and of its own right when it is integrated?

(3) Sustainability. Systems break. Replacing them is part of maintenance. This implies long term compatibility and thus, in the world in which we now exist and function, upgradability. Indeed, reasonable-cost upgradability (which in turn implies standardised interfaces, both electronic and physical) is a potential profit centre.

Because the world has moved on.

As capabilities increase and improve, new corollaries become apparent. After a while people begin to expect them and feel they are basic.
    So are we talking software or hardware upgradeability?

If it’s hardware then my question still stands, if software then why would this display be any more difficult than any other software upgrade?

Craftsman
    Totally agree with the OP. Particularly mercedes. The reason, they say, is that a lot of research has proven trhat this is the best place to put the screen - but the afterthought ipad look, is just so cheap imho!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    So are we talking software or hardware upgradeability?
    Primarily hardware, although it is foolish to think of one to the exclusion of the other. One must think of the experience and forward support of it, rather than thinking in purely hardware or software terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If it’s hardware then my question still stands
    Then re-read my previous reply which clearly explained (some of the reasons) why upgradability is important for both hardware and software in the modern technology marketplace.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 9th January 2018 at 17:11.

Perhaps you and I see things differently Mark. I don’t see that people will want to change hardware in a car unless it was broken in just the same way as Any car part currently.

The vast majority of cars sold today are not modified. In any way, why would someone want to change a digital display just because it’s electronic?

None of your reasons answer the question with the possible exception of sat Nav but that would only be software anyway.

People currently buy (or more usually lease) their cars for two or three years then upgrade; surely there’s no good reason to “upgrade” hardware within that period?

Just because somethings obsolete, it doesn’t mean that it’s any less fit for purpose than it was when it was new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by engeew View Post
    It does look like that's the way the market is heading. This from CES 2018! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42599345

You can expect to see this become the common approach. Think how cheap big screens are now. This would probably be cheaper than traditional dash's with deferent spec/variant and option buttons/blanks.

Just fit one big screen and put the software for that specific model in.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk