closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Car Interiors

Master

Modern Car Interiors

I really dislike this current trend for tablet type interiors. It just smacks of laziness on the designers part. It’s almost like they forgot about something and put it on as an afterthought.

Buy old cars then...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Buy old cars then...?
    Doesn’t really work when my licensing authority require a new car at the time of plating.

Mercedes are the worst, looks like a complete after thought. Why on Earth don’t they just incorporate it properly .

Grand Master
    I have to say any touchscreen in a car is challenging when moving and more so in a trumpy motor, give me a knob anytime! (Que Sarcastic banter)
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What do you run as your taxi Jay and are you looking to replace it?

Blog Entries
    Car makers seem to be making the same mistake that operating system and desktop environment developers made a few years ago: Mobile form factor is popular therefore we must make everything look like it is a mobile form factor, even when that is unsuitable for our use case.

This ended badly for operating system and desktop environment develops and it seems as ill thought out and implemented in cars.

It is lazy design - and I bet if one goes wrong, even though they look like a bolt - on device they probably need the whole dash taken out to fix the problem, involving hours of labour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I totally agree with you. Combined with the high gloss interior of Mercedes... totally ugly. I spotted the new (USA only for now) Honda CR-V last Friday in Orlando. Lo and behold: the same slap-on tablet-ish entertainment module! Grrrrr.

Menno

A pic from the internet:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    What do you run as your taxi Jay and are you looking to replace it?
    I’m ok for a few years yet as I have a 2016 E Class and a 2017 Skoda Superb.
    Ironically if they get their act together I’d like to get a Tesla Model 3 when it comes time to change and that thing is all tablet !

Blog Entries
    Jag still has the old school approach...

Although the Sat Nav is pretty dumb

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    Oi, that’s my car!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    Oi, that’s my car!
    Mine too - & the Sat Nav is still pretty rubbish

z

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Doesn’t really work when my licensing authority require a new car at the time of plating.
    End of your angst then?

Nothing to be done.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    End of your angst then?

Nothing to be done.
    Nothing to do with angst Chris, just simply voicing my opinion that I think it’s lazy design and judging by some of the replies, I’m not alone in my thoughts.

Nothing to do with angst Chris, just simply voicing my opinion that I think it’s lazy design and judging by some of the replies, I’m not alone in my thoughts.
    Of course, but if you have to go down the 'new' route and there are no wide choice of suitable cars then it's a dead end - a few folk grumbling on a watch forum will change nothing - and of course somebody will be a long shortly to suggest an MX%......Lol
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I hate the design as well and I didn’t buy a Mercedes a few years back because of it. But loads are doing it now.

I’ve actually been browsing this afternoon and can’t believe how BMW STILL have the same dials from about 10yrs ago in most models. My last BMW was an X1 in 2011 and nothing has changed.

For me Audi have nailed it with their A3 model. The info screen mechanism enables it to rotate in/out the dashboard vertically. Audi really should have rolled this idea out to the rest of their range but I presume the bean counters put a stop to that

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    the bean counters
    I dare say it's the bean counters leaning heavily on the designers to keep up with the Jones's 'cos "we don't wanna be left behind and lose sales".
    I'm sure it's more than a few days work to knock out a fresh car model interior after watching your current one flop on it's arse sales wise because it doesn't have the equipment its peers have. (but I'm sure we all knew that anyway)

Journeyman
    I agree re: modern interiors and a certain apathy towards design.

I've not got a 'tablet' in my car, how easy are they to operate while on the move given their lack of 'tactility'?

I have to say my favourite interior by far was my E85 Z4 interior. Sparse but purposeful. A world away from my TT RS interior!

Cars are for driving.
    Who want's a tablet in their car?
    Should be illegal to use one anyway
    Won't buy a new car with a stuck on appendage in the field of view.
    They'll all be obsolete in a few years anyway. Don't mind dumping a laptop after two years, but a car because the IT is obsolete?

I also hated the stick on approach but now having a bmw with a stuck on screen I actually now like it and what it does.

From a design point of view and to keep up with the my screen is bigger than yours brigade they really have no option but to attach it to the top. Imagine integrating it into the dash, might end up with a very high dash?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I hate the design as well and I didn’t buy a Mercedes a few years back because of it. But loads are doing it now.

I’ve actually been browsing this afternoon and can’t believe how BMW STILL have the same dials from about 10yrs ago in most models. My last BMW was an X1 in 2011 and nothing has changed.
    10 years...and then some.
    I remember the same dials in my Dad’s 5 series I the eighties:)

Master
    I work as a user experience and interface designer and often marvel at how wrong many car manufacturers have got it over the last few years.

Manufacturers such as Renault, VW, Tesla etc are moving away from restrictive and inappropriate landscape tablets installed in a position unsuitable for the driver. Audi/VWs virtual cockpit works very well with the steering controls being more intuitive than you would expect. However, speech recognition has made huge leaps ahead in the last few years in other devices and it won't be long before its the main interaction within a mainstream vehicle.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I also hated the stick on approach but now having a bmw with a stuck on screen I actually now like it and what it does.

From a design point of view and to keep up with the my screen is bigger than yours brigade they really have no option but to attach it to the top. Imagine integrating it into the dash, might end up with a very high dash?
    The idrive (knob) interaction device is far more user friendly and intuitive than people expect. I much prefer it to a touch screen in a car.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Master

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    What model is that? That’s lovely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    What model is that? That’s lovely.
    At a guess I’d say, Lexus-LS-460-light-gray-leather-shimamoku-espresso-wood-trim?

Blog Entries
    Bmw's iDrive knob offers a 'tactile experience' as well: moving the iDrive around has the same effect as a properly shifting manual g/box: your brain is sure that your hands 'get the message across' (using '-' here because I have no idea how to put it differently). tbh, I don't know how other manufacturers have done this.

Menno

Previous company car was a BMW 320ed and their iDrive knob worked better than the new Mercedes GLA equivalent, although Apple Car Play works nicely (until you’re driving at night and the screen half blinds you)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    Has the same sat nav as my Range Rover I think. Always trying to take you down single track roads and nothing you change in settings makes any difference.
    Complained to JLR and they said they needed examples of lots of routes and details etc. Like they weren’t aware of it! It’s just a piss poor system considering the cost of the cars they put it in.
    Have a free app on my iPhone that works better!

Agree with the OP.

Plus I still find modern sat navs which manufacturers are charging circa £1500 for as an option are still generally worse than a £99 Garmin or TomTom out of Halfords. I mean when your phone has Google maps you have to question why you need anything else?

But that Lexus interior below is very nice indeed.

Surely it wouldn't be hard to integrate a 10-12" screen into the dash would it and just have it pre-installed with Google maps?

Yep - I hate the tacked on tablet look too.

The Golf's is much better integrated and you can put the sat nav on the dash right in front of you on the R which is a good feature.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Mercedes are the worst, looks like a complete after thought. Why on Earth don’t they just incorporate it properly .
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have to say any touchscreen in a car is challenging when moving and more so in a trumpy motor, give me a knob anytime! (Que Sarcastic banter)
    Agreed, the daft thing about the Merc one is its not even a touch screen.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes the Mercedes one looks stupid. It stopped Mrs T-7 from buying one. I don't like screens in cars full stop. They're a death waiting to happen, but usually not the driver's.

Master
    Must agree with the Merc interior being just awful. I had an slk in the old days and loved it. Now having kids I have moved to Landrover, could not live with that Halfords look on the Merc dash.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I don't like the Mercedes interior but their infotainment system has improved over the last generation of cars. The current JLR system however, is on of the most disappointing i've experienced. Ignoring the sat nav which several here say is rubbish, the interface itself is just awful and the information display on the dash is especially useless and limited. Considering their position in the market it should be a lot better.

Master
    I know what you mean about the stuck on screens, the pop up ones are worse imho. im quite pleased with my little R Design V40, all rather a pleasant place to be for hours on end. great hifi too.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

much prefer integrated and not pup tacked on tablet style thingies

Master
    It does look like that's the way the market is heading. This from CES 2018! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42599345

I agree with the OP. Aesthetics aside, what bothers me even more is that a touchscreen, unless done properly (ie large easy-to-hit "buttons") is surely more of a liability than physical switches, dials etc which I often find you can locate by touch without even looking. There's all this focus about speed, road safety etc but then they go and whack a 10" tablet on the dash which you need to look directly at in order to use. Don't try and tell me that isn't hugely distracting especially when there are menus, submenus etc. The i-Drive setup which at least uses a rotary dial is perhaps better in this regard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    They'll all be obsolete in a few years anyway. Don't mind dumping a laptop after two years, but a car because the IT is obsolete?
    Spot on. IT in cars really does need to be separately upgradeable, linking to an industry standard interface for compatibility. Anything else is substandard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Plus I still find modern sat navs which manufacturers are charging circa £1500 for as an option are still generally worse than a £99 Garmin or TomTom out of Halfords. I mean when your phone has Google maps you have to question why you need anything else?

But that Lexus interior below is very nice indeed.

Surely it wouldn't be hard to integrate a 10-12" screen into the dash would it and just have it pre-installed with Google maps?
    Indeed. Aicraft have had multifunction displays for ages so why not cars. This 'tablet' metaphor is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by engeew View Post
    It does look like that's the way the market is heading. This from CES 2018! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42599345

Now that looks more like it. (Although it would still fail the easy upgradability test).

Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    I agree with the OP. Aesthetics aside, what bothers me even more is that a touchscreen, unless done properly (ie large easy-to-hit "buttons") is surely more of a liability than physical switches, dials etc which I often find you can locate by touch without even looking. There's all this focus about speed, road safety etc but then they go and whack a 10" tablet on the dash which you need to look directly at in order to use. Don't try and tell me that isn't hugely distracting especially when there are menus, submenus etc. The i-Drive setup which at least uses a rotary dial is perhaps better in this regard.
    Agreed.

Looks good to me

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Aicraft have had multifunction displays for ages so why not cars. This 'tablet' metaphor is absurd.
    None of the aircraft systems that I have ever used are desperately intuitive.

Car drivers are also much more likely to have used a tablet previously. Hence, I imagine, why car designers have tried to transfer them across.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    much prefer integrated and not pup tacked on tablet style thingies

Now that looks familiar - must be because I drive an Auris too. Nice place to sit and everything works nicely (Toyota/Lexus really have sorted things out IMHO)

Cheers,

MarkC

Not sure I'm qualified to comment looking at my dash. Still have a tape deck!

]

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Now that looks more like it. (Although it would still fail the easy upgradability test).
    Why, apart from Sat Nav, would you need to upgrade the display?

It seems to me to be a non issue; there’s never been talk of issues regarding the ability to upgrade analogue displays so why should it suddenly be so essential for digital?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Why, apart from Sat Nav, would you need to upgrade the display?
    (1) Compatibility. Connectivity is one of the most important things nowadays, and that implies the need for upgradability over the life of a car.

(2) Isn't satnav enough of a justification in and of its own right when it is integrated?

(3) Sustainability. Systems break. Replacing them is part of maintenance. This implies long term compatibility and thus, in the world in which we now exist and function, upgradability. Indeed, reasonable-cost upgradability (which in turn implies standardised interfaces, both electronic and physical) is a potential profit centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It seems to me to be a non issue; there’s never been talk of issues regarding the ability to upgrade analogue displays so why should it suddenly be so essential for digital?
    Because the world has moved on.

As capabilities increase and improve, new corollaries become apparent. After a while people begin to expect them and feel they are basic.

Modern Car Interiors

See below.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 9th January 2018 at 16:03.