closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tokyo Tokei

Tokyo Tokei

Not our well known member before someone thinks it’s amusing in any way.
    Anyone know anything about them. Are they one company, do they still exist?
    Last edited by sestrel; 8th January 2018 at 19:06.

Master
    The clock company? Can't help with the history of it, but I do own one, if you'd like to see it.

Yes, thats it.

Master
    Here's mine. Wood-effect plastic, "Breguet" numerals, electromechanical movement. Probably mid-late 1970s/early 1980s in date. A bit kitsch, but it was cheap and being sold for a good cause, so I bought it.

Classy 70s kitsch though. I like them.

The original Tokyo Tokei (the company that is, the online poster of much merit and wide acclaim is a different story) was founded in 1888, becoming Tokyo Tokei (“tokei” just being Japanese for both clock and watch) in 1896. It manufactured clocks based on American designs, but folded in 1900 when its founder was convicted of document fraud.

The “modern” Tokyo Tokei has roots back to 1920, as Tokyo Clock Manufacturing Co. which eventually came under the umbrella of Fuji (presently of photo and photocopier fame) in 1940. This lasted until 1945 when it was dissolved, only to be resuscitated as Tokyo Watch manufacturing Co. in 1951. This was successful, becoming the second largest domestic manufacturer, and in 1962 the company was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Sales fell in the 1970s and in 1974 the company applied for bankrupcy. In 1975 the management were arrested for yes, fraud again, and the shares were delisted. The company was subsequently supported by investment from Orient watch who became the majority owner, with the intent that they could manufacture Orient watches. In 1983 Orient themselves faced difficulties, and in 1984 Tokyo Tokei was liquidated.

Hope this helps. Hurredly pieced together from some online stuff in Japanese so don't take it as authoritative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    It manufactured clocks based on American designs, but folded in 1900 when its founder was convicted of document fraud.
    A company folding due to fraudulent documents seems somehow appropriate...

Thanks TT, very helpful
    I think they made some fine looking items.
    one day, they ‘might’ be valuable lol!

So there’s no difference in Japanese between clock and watch?
    Last edited by sestrel; 9th January 2018 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    So there’s no difference in Japanese between clock and watch?
    The word "tokei" (時計 in Japanese kanji) is used for either. The kanji consisting of the symbols for "time" and "measure".

Nice to learn something of other languages and cultures. Obidged👍