closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casual watch choice - Panerai PAM vs. Breitling Navitimer

Craftsman

Casual watch choice - Panerai PAM vs. Breitling Navitimer

I like the idea of getting a nice casual watch to compliment my Rolex sub this year and then adding a dress watch next year. I have small wrists (6.3 inch) so max size would be the 42 mm examples. What do you think is the better option on the used market?

Keen separate out by:

value for money
    quality (case and movement)
    future residuals (I don't want to lose a ton if I move it on).

I would want one with box and papers. Looking spend no more than £4K. Needs to be on a leather strap. Couple of examples on chrono I saw below:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/panerai/l...-id7299628.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/panerai/l...-id7421162.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling...-id6837799.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling...-id7532547.htm

Looking to purchase within 3 months.

James

Journeyman
    Never been a Breitling fan just far to busy for me. Really like the look of that Pam Marina, simple lines and would hold is value well. Gets my vote!!

How old you are? Eyesight OK?
    I have a lovely 806 Navitimer. Love the appearance and history. Can't read the bloody thing!

I have problems equating the phrases 'small wrists', 'panerai' and 'value for money' but then maybe that's just me!!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    There was a PAM 50 on SC a while back that would have been ideal in this situation. Different to the sub and at 40mm a great size for a smaller wrist. If going for a 44mm PAM might be better to go for a 1950 case as opposed to he bettarini case as it is less slab sided.
    But from your options my choice would be the PAM all day long.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not sure what style Panerai you like but as a suggestion maybe have a look at the PAM 392 (42mm, 1950 case, sandwich dial, quick strap change system).

I have the 312 which is the 44mm version and it works brilliantly as a casual watch on a selection of leather straps and the excellent Panerai rubber strap.

Master
    I’m about to sell my navitimer for considerably less than 4K if you’re interested

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Panerai no contest for me.
    There's not much difference between the 42s and 44s imo. Or the 44s and 47s for that matter due to short lugs.
    That aside, with your budget id be looking for a nice base model or an older submersible. There was a pam24 and a 176 on sc recently.

Plus they have a historic affiliation with Rolex that breitling doesn't. Not to say it's relevant today particularly since the Richmont era but it's a nice tie in if you already have a sub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’m about to sell my navitimer for considerably less than 4K if you’re interested
    I will keep an eye an on SC. would want an in house movement though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Panerai no contest for me.
    There's not much difference between the 42s and 44s imo. Or the 44s and 47s for that matter due to short lugs.
    That aside, with your budget id be looking for a nice base model or an older submersible. There was a pam24 and a 176 on sc recently.

Plus they have a historic affiliation with Rolex that breitling doesn't. Not to say it's relevant today particularly since the Richmont era but it's a nice tie in if you already have a sub.
    Really informative post, thank you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I know it may be counter intuitive but with pam it's sometimes better to find a unitas or modded valjoux movement model.

Panerai servicing doesn't have a good reputation and any watch repairer can work on the uni/vals whereas the in-house movements mean running the gauntlet with richemeont.

Master
    I know it may be counter intuitive but with pam it's sometimes better to find a unitas or modded valjoux movement model.

Panerai servicing doesn't have a good reputation and any watch repairer can work on the uni/vals whereas the in-house movements mean running the gauntlet with richemeont.
    That being said I have contacted a watch guy on this forum and he has declined to service PAM 24 and 49, both of which have a modified valjoux movement AFAIK. The same movement.
    I have yet to brave the panerai service minefield, but am sure that I will have to some day. What could possibly go wrong???

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cannop/thewatchbloke of this parish services them I believe.

I'm in the same boat with a p3000. Hope they sort it out in a few years!

Master
    Cannop/thewatchbloke of this parish services them I believe.

I'm in the same boat with a p3000. Hope they sort it out in a few years!
    Ta for the headsup

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    That being said I have contacted a watch guy on this forum and he has declined to service PAM 24 and 49, both of which have a modified valjoux movement AFAIK. The same movement.
    I have yet to brave the panerai service minefield, but am sure that I will have to some day. What could possibly go wrong???

Is there issues with Panerai service?
    I really like some of the watches.

My first 2 watches were A41370 and PAM048 (40mm).
    I still have both and if you’re ever around Canary Wharf happy for you to compare and have a try. BTW not looking to sell.
    They are very different watches. The breitling is actually a lot smarter looking and Pam more casual. The pam gets a lot more wrist time I think mainly because the clean dial is easier to read and more adaptable with different outfits.
    Quality wise I think v similar. Very good quality, but if I’m honest a class below Rolex imo.
    Value retention - no idea I’m afraid but generally if u buy used, do your research I don’t think you’ll lose much on either. Chrono24 isn’t a good measure of current values imo though.
    One final thing - I like to change straps a lot and I tend to find it harder to get for Panerai. That maybe because I’ve got the 40mm though.
    Best of luck with the decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post

Hmm. I'd say there was the potential for more problems than with other manufacturers.
    There have been some right horror stories about multiple services to fix simple issues and damage during servicing which Panerai instantly blamed on "the customer" despite watches going to them in mint condition.
    End of 2016 I bought a new 372 which lost an hour and 20 mins in 24 hours, back it went and exchanged for the destro which was wound and set in store, later that day noted that it hadn't moved and was dead. Back that went and I quit. Same series so there may have been a wider issue but i wasnt about to keep trying. Now I only buy used within warranty as I know they're working or unitas based as I know they can be fixed far away from Panerai.
    That said there's a new ceo so things may improve on that front.

And, despite the after sales service being under a bit of a cloud they're an enduring brand for me and touch wood I've never had an issue with a used buy. If they work instantly they tend to continue to do so ime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post

To share my experience, my Richmont service experience has been excellent, better than both omega and brietling

Craftsman
    Hmm. I'd say there was the potential for more problems than with other manufacturers.
    There have been some right horror stories about multiple services to fix simple issues and damage during servicing which Panerai instantly blamed on "the customer" despite watches going to them in mint condition.
    End of 2016 I bought a new 372 which lost an hour and 20 mins in 24 hours, back it went and exchanged for the destro which was wound and set in store, later that day noted that it hadn't moved and was dead. Back that went and I quit. Same series so there may have been a wider issue but i wasnt about to keep trying. Now I only buy used within warranty as I know they're working or unitas based as I know they can be fixed far away from Panerai.
    That said there's a new ceo so things may improve on that front.

And, despite the after sales service being under a bit of a cloud they're an enduring brand for me and touch wood I've never had an issue with a used buy. If they work instantly they tend to continue to do so ime.
    Looks like that's of the wish list then!!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No not at all!
    I know I sound damning but they're one of my favourites and as said, when they work they work well and for a long time.
    There's always going to be horror stories on watch forums because it's a dedicated crowd. But for one horror there will have been loads of good experiences. They just don't get the exposure.

Master
    I’ve always fancied a Panerai until about a few weeks ago when I watch someone wind one up and for no apparent reason the internals of the watch decided to give up in a blaze of glory and after a few gut wrenching noises the watch resembled a babies rattle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    To share my experience, my Richmont service experience has been excellent, better than both omega and brietling
    Interesting I suppose they may have picked up on feedback . I found my recent Omega experience excellent they decided to chuck in Extract of Archive free. That was a very nice touch I thought.

Master
    I have had my PAM 49 for 8 years now, and have since picked up 3 others, all of which I still have. The 49 had a shaky start, leaking water at 16 months old, but to be fair Panerai totally sorted it with no argument or debate. The watch has not been serviced since that repair, in 2010, and keeps time almost perfectly now. +5 seconds over a week.
    My others are a variety of movements, one auto, one 3 day and one 8 day, and all have been faultless to date.
    One could debate the quality as compared to Rolex, but IMHO the quality and finish rank alongside Rolex. I have never owned a Breitling so cannot comment first hand, but I would always vote for the PAM.

Master
    I have had my PAM 49 for 8 years now, and have since picked up 3 others, all of which I still have. The 49 had a shaky start, leaking water at 16 months old, but to be fair Panerai totally sorted it with no argument or debate. The watch has not been serviced since that repair, in 2010, and keeps time almost perfectly now. +5 seconds over a week.
    My others are a variety of movements, one auto, one 3 day and one 8 day, and all have been faultless to date.
    One could debate the quality as compared to Rolex, but IMHO the quality and finish rank alongside Rolex. I have never owned a Breitling so cannot comment first hand, but I would always vote for the PAM.

Don’t know have credible the debate would be when you put leaked water in and quality comparable to Rolex in the same sentence, just saying

Master
    Don’t know have credible the debate would be when you put leaked water in and quality comparable to Rolex in the same sentence, just saying
    Point taken. No Rolex watch has ever had a fault.......

Master
    Point taken. No Rolex watch has ever had a fault.......

Not exactly what I was getting at

Master
    Not exactly what I was getting at
    My point was that in terms of finish and appearance, sharpness of case edges, timekeeping etc that panerai rank alongside Rolex IMO. The case edges on my 8 yo 24 are as sharp as my near new BLNR, and the polished surfaces exhibit less swirlies. The time keeping on my 8 yo 49 is much better than that on my 5 yo EXP2.
    Neither brand is perfect. I had to return my DSSD after a year as it was gaining 2 mins per hr.
    I trust that this explains my point more clearly.

I too own a sub but wanted a more casual look.

Opted for a used Panerai 005 (logo) as i wanted a clean look and more classic example.

I was EXTREMELY concerned about size as its 44mm and i too have a wrist size similar to yours.

But... fantastic watch, definitely a keeper. Had a rough looking leather strap made for it and it looks the nuts. It often makes me notice it as it ticks like a clock haha.

Master
    I would disagree I would go for the navitimer iconic watch hardly ever hear about any reliability or servicing issues just not the plate sized ones

Depending on your activity level/type, it may be worth pointing out that the Navitimer has a relatively modest 30m water-resistance.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Depending on your activity level/type, it may be worth pointing out that the Navitimer has a relatively modest 30m water-resistance.
    I wouldn’t even wash the dishes in my navitimer

I wouldn’t even wash the dishes in my navitimer
    Me too. I have a bosch for that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Traditional method for me. Time to pop the watch of......