closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone want to rehome an English Pointer? UPDATE

Anyone want to rehome an English Pointer? UPDATE

Won't go into all the details here.

Wilson is a 5.5 yr old English Pointer, who likes to run and run.
    He does need some retraining and the time to do so.
    We are just not enough for him despite our best efforts and would rather he went to someone who can give him all he deserves.

But if you have the space, the time, the love and the ability to be firm then the rewards will be huge.

If you think you can help, please contact me for a chat/visit etc.

Could I ask that nobody takes the oppotunity to make unnecessary comments as this is going to be upsetting enough already and beleive me we have tried and tried to make it work, even to the point of selling our house so we could rent somewhere with more space and a massive garden, sadly we have no more to give and hope the last thing we are able to do is find Wilson the best owner and home we can.
    Last edited by keitht; 29th January 2018 at 10:00.

good luck keith
    my sister is looking for a dog at the moment
    i will mention it to her but i think she wants something smaller
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Sounds like you've tried really hard for Wilson, might help if folk were to know where you are, good luck finding the fella a new home.
    Last edited by number2; 3rd January 2018 at 11:01.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

don't know if you've thought of this, but in breed specific rehoming cases its always worth checking for things like this

http://pointersinneed.com

if people are looking for a pointer in particular thats one place where they will be looking.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I was so sorry to read this article and I can fully understand where you are coming from.... as we were in a similar situation a few years ago....

We have a six year old German Pointer and he is a bundle of energy...... no doubt yours is the same.

I am a fit person and each day he has at least 3 - 4 hours worth of walking..... he could go all day if given the chance - if only I could!

I hope things work out for you and Wilson in what must be a difficult time.

Just out of interest - what part of the country do you live??

Mike

Master
    Generally, I would suggest that you may want to contact your breeder as a first port of call. He/she may well be able to help you, at least they should be able to put you in touch with your breed specific club rehome co-ordinator.
    I would strongly suggest that you give the rehome co-ordinator a chance to find a suitable home for Wilson, they should ask you to fill in a form explaining about your dog, and then can match him to a suitable forever home.
    It may also be worth checking the paper work you got with Wilson as you may well have signed a contract to return your dog to the breeder.
    These are what I found on the Kennel Club website.

POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs Carol Goodliffe
    Dorset
    01202 894422
    07917 863360
    theprs-southern@hotmail.co.uk
    www.englishpointerrescue.org.uk
    POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs Gina Williams
    Carmarthenshire
    01554 810636
    07581 411482
    theprs@btinternet.com
    POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs D Torres
    Somerset
    01934 862365

Good luck.

Good luck Keith, I'm sure this is an incredibly tough decision to make and my heart goes out to you and your family. If I could manage him I'd take him, but sadly I need a different kind of dog.

David

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sounds like you've tried really hard for Wilson, might help if folk were to know where you are, good luck finding the fella a new home.
    Of course, we are Nr Malmesbury in Wilts.

Should add that we took Wilson in from his previous owner in early 2016, the guys life had fallen apart, job gone, wife gone, house up for sale and Wilson was suffering because of this.
    At the time we felt we were doing the right thing, with hindsight we would have helped him more by finding a more suitable home.

Can't go back though, just need to make it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Generally, I would suggest that you may want to contact your breeder as a first port of call. He/she may well be able to help you, at least they should be able to put you in touch with your breed specific club rehome co-ordinator.
    I would strongly suggest that you give the rehome co-ordinator a chance to find a suitable home for Wilson, they should ask you to fill in a form explaining about your dog, and then can match him to a suitable forever home.
    It may also be worth checking the paper work you got with Wilson as you may well have signed a contract to return your dog to the breeder.
    These are what I found on the Kennel Club website.

POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs Carol Goodliffe
    Dorset
    01202 894422
    07917 863360
    theprs-southern@hotmail.co.uk
    POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs Gina Williams
    Carmarthenshire
    01554 810636
    07581 411482
    theprs@btinternet.com
    POINTER RESCUE SERVICE
    Mrs D Torres
    Somerset
    01934 862365

Good luck.

My wife has contacted all of those organisations and as yet have had no reply.

I will however try again, as I do wonder how thorough she has been as this is much harder for her.
    Her guilt is of persuading me to take Wilson in , mine is that I did not stay firm and say no!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good luck in finding a loving home, great dogs, a tough decision but for the right reasons.

No help but just want to say good luck Keith and hope you find Wilson the home he deserves.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Shared the main details of your post on Facebook just in case any friends know anyone. Fingers crossed for Wilson, as a last resort Dogs Trust are an excellent re-homing charity if it comes to that.
    We had to do a similar thing and know what you are going through. Like you say it's just doing the best for Wilson now.
    Ian.

Many thanks for all the advice and comments.

I have contacted a lady at the Pointer rescue place and had a long chat.
    It appears my wife was reticent to do so as she did not want him to be fostered or passed around before a permanant home could be found and that this would further upset him.

I hope now I have enough information to ease her concerns so that this path may at least now be an option.

There are also a few large estates around here and we have managed to contact a fellow Pointer owner who owns a race horse stud and he seems quite keen to help us find a home amongst his friends.

I am relatively certain that we will find Wilson a place where he can enjoy his life to its fullest, and we in turn can do the same.

I’ve passed on to some friends who live in North Wilts, and already have 2 pointers- one of whom came from the Dorset rescue centre. Not sure they want another but worth a try!

Craftsman
    I feel for you - and admire your wish to do the right thing

Master
    The suggestion of breed-specific rehoming help looks to be worth exploring. (Edited to add - and the local pointer owner sounds very promising!)

Best wishes for the process and I hope Wilson finds a home that works for all.

I am pleased to announce that Wilson has been found, what we feel, is the perfect place for him.

Husband and Wife clergy, both charming as they are bonkers, beautiful rural setting nr Banbury, devoted to their dogs and having considerable experience of Pointers.
    Both due to retire in 2 yrs with plans to just walk and look after their dogs.

They have a large garden, plenty of time for him and he will have a cocker spaniel to play with and an elderly lady Pointer to keep him in check.

Its been a tough few months but we are comforted by the knowledge that he is definately with owners who can give him all he needs, something we could not.

Thank you for the all advice and support.

Keith

Best news of the week, so pleased to hear of a great result
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a good result, I didn’t post before but I could feel your pain it’s admirable how much you cared.

Good news Keith, as a fellow dog owner I know how hard this must have been for you.

Fantastic news and well done for finding him a great new home!

So pleased you've found what sounds like the perfect home,i know exactly how distressing the whole situation is,after having to let my youngest dog go to live with my son on Saturday,it breaks your heart but try to find the good side to the situation in that they will hopefully live a happier existence.

Really good news, glad all has worked out!

Well done finding Wilson such a good home, it sounds ideal.

Master
    Well done.... I'm pleased things worked out for all involved.... Especially Wilson who I think will have a whale of a time with his new owners....

Mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    good on you Keith. brave shout and one that has been right.

be comforted in that you gave the fella your all - both of you. be proud of the time you gave him to be free. thats important.

sounds like he's found new grateful mum and dad.

All the very best

Jim

Good news Keith.

You certainly did your best for Wilson.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Thats great news, having been in a similar position I know the sense of relief when you find a good home for them. Good on you for doing your best for him.

Craftsman
    Make me smile - thank you and relax now

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

He appears to have his paws, well and truly under the table ( or all over the sofa! )
    The note we got from his new family and this pic took all the weight from my heavy heart......

He had had, by all accounts, a hard first day investigating rabbit holes with Fred the Cocker, whilst Saffy ( the old lady Pointer ) looked on in bemused indifference.

Fantastic! One tired and happy dog.

Blog Entries
    Brilliant, just brilliant.

Great news and many thanks for the update. He looks well relaxed and I am sure the other dogs and wabbits provide loads of entertainment
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's great news. A really tough call Keith that you have managed brilliantly.