closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Green Boxes - Year Code ?

Rolex Green Boxes - Year Code ?

Is it possible to decipher the year of a Rolex green box from the code/numbers on the underside?

Or, are they random numbers, so no reliable affiliation with year?

Master
    This would really be useful since I'm planning on becoming a Rolex Box owner. I can't afford a Rolex watch, but I could probably stretch to owning a box. Values of boxes have been going through the roof recently!

Craftsman
    Here's a useful guide for the various models over the years.

http://thegreengmthand.com/about/use..._box_reference

And some info on the specific box codes. Might help you to narrow things down a bit.

https://www.newturfers.com/vb/forum/...erence-numbers

https://www.timekeeperforum.com/foru...erences.10076/

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592
    Last edited by groyn; 1st January 2018 at 13:57.

Grand Master
    Unless a box is original to the watch I fail to see the attraction in obtaining one, it means nothing and to me it would add zero value to a watch.

Paul

Craftsman
    Each to their own, re: obtaining a box separately. However, having the information might help a buyer recognise if a box is not original to the watch.
    Last edited by groyn; 1st January 2018 at 23:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    Here's a useful guide for the various models over the years.

http://thegreengmthand.com/about/use..._box_reference
    Thanks for the above link. Besides the box info, there's loads of useful stuff there.

Grand Master
    Each to their own, re: obtaining a box separately. However, having the information might help a buyer recognise if a box is not original to the watch.
    True, but if a box is present without the original papers I`d assume it's not original to the watch.

Paul

Craftsman
    Fair enough, but what about original papers with non-original box? I've seen this a few times.

Fair enough, but what about original papers with non-original box? I've seen this a few times.
    I mostly see this at sellerson ch24, I always assumed that original owner threw away the box and kept papers (warranty) and when he resold the watch later on, seller just tossed the watch into box he had in stock.

Master
    I was told by an AD that Rolex supplied with him with watches one day and a load of boxes the next. Therefore when he sold a watch he just put it into the first available box.

That means no box is directly related to any particular watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I was told by an AD that Rolex supplied with him with watches one day and a load of boxes the next. Therefore when he sold a watch he just put it into the first available box.

That means no box is directly related to any particular watch.
    That is technically not true, some boxes are associated with some models, DJ boxes are smaller than Sub boxes, DSSD has a bigger box than Sub box. Platinum rolexes have special boxes too, but it's true that boxes are shipped separately. As result of this, ADs sometimes hand out wrong box that doesn't correspond to specific model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    That is technically not true, some boxes are associated with some models, DJ boxes are smaller than Sub boxes, DSSD has a bigger box than Sub box. Platinum rolexes have special boxes too, but it's true that boxes are shipped separately. As result of this, ADs sometimes hand out wrong box that doesn't correspond to specific model.
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless a box is original to the watch I fail to see the attraction in obtaining one, it means nothing and to me it would add zero value to a watch.

Paul
    Though it will increase the market value of the watch.

Even with modern boxes different ones can look identical to an untrained eye. I let a 2015 watch go last week in a modern green wave box like the one below:

Being an anal kind of guy I took a photo of the box number underneath:

Today, I had a new 2016 incoming in what to me looks like an identical box, but after reading this thread I checked the number underneath and it is indeed different:

Now we hear stories of ADs just grabbing the nearest box, but Rolex must have made them different for a reason. Anyone own a chart - Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Close, but not quite - the size of the box is determined (with a couple of exceptions) on the material used. An all stainless watch will have a small size box, a Rolesor watch will have a medium sized box, precious metal will have a large, and special pieces (certain Platinum models and heavily diamond set) will have an XL box.

The exceptions to the rule are the Deepsea (comes in a large size box), and precious metal Sky-Dweller (which has a unique dark green box).

If you look on the swing tags now, it will advise the correct size (S, M, L etc.)

Chris

I'm getting box envy now!