closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent EDC knife for £50?

Spyderco UKPK was my daily carry knife for years until someone used it as a screwdriver and sheared the end off - I made them buy it off me. I must get a replacement...

I also have a Mora at home which does all the jobs around the house/garden, or gets used when I go camping. I did have a Fallkniven F1 which was fantastic but the Mora is practially as good at a tiny fraction of the cost, plus I don't care if I lose the Mora.

Both excellent tools in the right situation.

So.... thanks again TZ for showing me a website with stuff on it I didn't know I wanted!

EDC was a new concept to me... so playing it safe.. I bought this bad boy off Heinnie:

All solid steel construction... UK legal.. just..

Never mind your fancy Breitling "co-pilot" modules - I'm starting a new trend for us Seiko wearers - the tactical clasp:

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Being pedantic is questioning the use of the acronym EDC when it has been made abundantly clear why/where it's been used and what kind of knife is desired. I have never come across any deinition or description which suggests the item must be street legal to meet the criteria of EDC.
    Exactly, that's why I said "I'm being pedantic". Friendly here, isn't it.

The link between the expression EDC and UK-Friendly-Carry is fairly explicit here:

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-t...y-carry-knives

I was just here to offer my opinion as well, so interpret things however you wish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    EDC in the UK is most commonly regarded as legal out of the house or it wouldn’t be EDC.

Those not in the know will find a different meaning.

Craftsman

Decent EDC knife for £50?

Not sure if it is allowed in the UK, but this Spyderco Tenacious does the job as a affordable EDC

I've been out of the knife game for a few years now but would recommend anything from Spyderco, as others have vouched too. I had a carbon fibre UKPK which was outstanding are a professional sharpening for day-to-day use. Unfortunately lost it in 2016 and can't bring myself to try and replace it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Not sure if it is allowed in the UK, but this Spyderco Tenacious does the job as a affordable EDC
    The Tenacious is a lovely knife, but has a liner lock, so not one I'd consider as EDC, as you can't carry it out of the house 'without a good reason'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SpydieNut View Post
    The Tenacious is a lovely knife, but has a liner lock, so not one I'd consider as EDC, as you can't carry it out of the house 'without a good reason'.
    Still learning concerning British regulations.
    On the other side of the channel we still can consider this as an EDC

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Still learning concerning British regulations.
    On the other side of the channel we still can consider this as an EDC

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is inaccurate. Since 6 September 2013, a locking knife is considered as a weapon from “D” category and as such requires good reason.
    For all intents and purposes the law in France is identical to the law in the UK. What changes is that the general public isn’t (yet) paranoid about knives and the police will use their discretion abundantly. Especially with Opinels as they are so much a part of most people’s heritage.
    I therefore advise anyone carrying a locking knife in France to be courteous and reasonable if stopped by the police.You may be asked to ‘abandon’ your knife. If you believe you are carrying with good reason, I suggest you refuse politely: it will then be confiscated and you’ll get your chance to claim it back in court.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

He's in Holland rather than France by the looks of things

Cheers. I didn’t check and it doesn’t show on Tapatalk but didn’t want someone to get caught in good faith.

Master
    Been following this thread with interest.

I've been thinking of getting a case (USA) knife of late, something that I can take out when camping/hiking and that is ok (legal) for everyday carry.
    It's my first foray into the knife world, I like the look of the traditional knifes so the Case ones seem to fit the bill, is there anything else in that sort of price range suitable?

If not, which Case would be a good one to start with?
    I may end up with more than one over time... Ideally I want it to fit easily into jeans/shorts pocket.

How much extra care do the CV blades require? Some people seem to prefer these over stainless, is that correct?

What's your budget for the Case? They vary quite a bit.

Personally, I'd be going for a Great Eastern Cutlery/Tidioute due to their rather superior quality, but they are usually more expensive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Personally, I'd be going for a Great Eastern Cutlery/Tidioute due to their rather superior quality, but they are usually more expensive.
    Around 50-60 quid I was thinking.
    Are the GEC/tidioute readily available in the UK? I think I've seen some comparisons on YouTube in regard to these and case.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    Around 50-60 quid I was thinking.
    Are the GEC/tidioute readily available in the UK? I think I've seen some comparisons on YouTube in regard to these and case.
    Mikesknives - he's the UK distributor for them. Failing that, knife forums here in the UK often have keen collectors who let them go occasionally.

I think retail they'll be above your budget but second hand within for some of the smaller models. I'd up it to 70/80 for a wider choice. Really excellent quality for the price (though some people are happy with Rough Riders at at a quarter of the cost).

Master
    Cheers, I'll have a look at mikesknives.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    Cheers, I'll have a look at mikesknives.
    Just had a look myself - very low stock indeed and next to nothing close to your budget. Hopefully due a shipment!

Master
    Blog Entries

It’s gone crazy,they have now become collectibles and prices have risen...
    I’ve stopped buying them and will soon be off loading some.

I rate the sod buster highly though I would prefer stainless for a working knife.

Really excellent quality for the price (though some people are happy with Rough Riders at at a quarter of the cost).
    The Rough Riders, particularly their DIY kits, are great value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This is inaccurate. Since 6 September 2013, a locking knife is considered as a weapon from “D” category and as such requires good reason.
    For all intents and purposes the law in France is identical to the law in the UK. What changes is that the general public isn’t (yet) paranoid about knives and the police will use their discretion abundantly. Especially with Opinels as they are so much a part of most people’s heritage.
    I therefore advise anyone carrying a locking knife in France to be courteous and reasonable if stopped by the police.You may be asked to ‘abandon’ your knife. If you believe you are carrying with good reason, I suggest you refuse politely: it will then be confiscated and you’ll get your chance to claim it back in court.
    As mentioned in later posts; I was referring to Dutch/Belgian legislations ;-)

Although I am surprised to hear this about France, since I have quite some experience with French fire arms laws; far less strict than UK and Dutch laws

Indeed, as per my post the change was 6 March 2012, and the decree that meant the law was to apply was published on 6 /09/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It’s gone crazy,they have now become collectibles and prices have risen...
    I’ve stopped buying them and will soon be off loading some.

I rate the sod buster highly though I would prefer stainless for a working knife.
    Some models certainly, but there are still the slightly less desirable ones, often in micarta, acrylic or nifebrite.

The Farm and Field line is a good shout.

Personally, I'd hold out for a micarta #15 of some description. Worth the wait and hunt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some models certainly, but there are still the slightly less desirable ones, often in micarta, acrylic or nifebrite.

The Farm and Field line is a good shout.

Personally, I'd hold out for a micarta #15 of some description. Worth the wait and hunt.
    The 15 frame is a big favourite with everyone,the beer scout etc.

I have a very rare/desirable STREK 15 but I can’t bring myself to use it it’s so pristine

[QUOTE=pastrana72;4615530]

CRKT Liong Mah Folder from https://www.heinnie.com/crkt-liong-m...ed-edition-red

I bought this a few weeks ago as my new EDC toolbag work Knife, it is well within budget at 24.95.

UK Legal EDC, which is important as carry this at work and for work.

Just ordered one of these to use along side my Spyderco UKPK, can’t wait for it to get here!

It is great, I have been using it all week at work. For the money I really rate it.

Master
    Just tried a 35 recently very well made and strong knife. Worth the extra£ imo

http://www.mikesknives.co.uk/6.html

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Just tried a 35 recently very well made and strong knife. Worth the extra£ imo

http://www.mikesknives.co.uk/6.html
    Aren't the ones on there liner locks though Karl?

Another vote for Spyderco here. Comparable to G-Shocks maybe? Durable, well designed, well made and extremely functional but not the prettiest to look at? 😄

Master
    If it's for bumming around in the garage/shed and the yard, I'd go for a budget fixed blade. Once you start prying and putting some sideways force on it (and you will over time), folders are no good unless you spend ridiculous amounts of money.
    50 pounds will get you 3 Moras. I use a Companion HD Carbon for yard work, and have stainless steel standard signal-orange Companions hanging in places as over the garage/workshop sink, garden shed and so on. The heavy Duty can be abused quite a bit and given the price, you won't shed a tear if you damage one. I've come to like the plastic sheaths for their ability to be clipped to a trouser or jacket pocket, or to be modified. You can also modify the blade by filing the spine flat so you can scrape with it, and drill through the handle to fix a short lanyard; you won't do that with a 'nice' knife.
    The only disadvantage of a Mora is the pure Scandi grind, meaning flat without a secondary bevel down to a zero edge. When you can sharpen it on a large flat wetstone, this gives you a scary sharp edge, but it is thin and will chip and roll easily, and the edge retention is not as good as with a secondary bevel.
    Other affordable sturdy fixed blades are Hultafors (one of the work models, or the nicer OK4 outdoor model which has a better sheath and a very nice carbon steel black-coated blade with a secondary bevel, very comfortable and a better slicer than a Mora), and the Finnish Teräva Jääkkäri Puukko (or 'Jaeger Puukko'), 110 mm version if you don't want it to be too long (there is a 140 mm version which I have), with a great leather sheath, from very good tool steel, just around 50 pounds/55 euros. The latter also scares off zombies with its very black military looks (for the same reason it may freak out the neighbours and your wife, something to consider). Only available from the Varusteleka surplus/outdoor store in Helsinki (via the web, very reasonable fixed shipping costs per order so get a few pairs of military socks or a low-priced daypack along with it...). Often out of stock due to popularity and small production runs.
    Have fun and be safe. A good knife is really yours once it has bitten you, but better limit that to a small cut. ;-)

Master
    As mentioned in later posts; I was referring to Dutch/Belgian legislations ;-)

Although I am surprised to hear this about France, since I have quite some experience with French fire arms laws; far less strict than UK and Dutch laws
    French fire arms laws are really hunting regulations, which are fairly lax as the hunting lobby is very powerful. Anyone who is not a major criminal or totally retarded can easily obtain a hunting license by doing a simple course and then keep it for life by paying a few tenners per year to a hunting federation. Once you have a hunting permit you can buy an arsenal of hunting rifles (but not handguns except for revolvers that fire rubber bullets to scare off angry wild boar). You can then also carry a big hunting knife everywhere a bit non urban, as long as you carry your hunting permit in your wallet and wear a camo jacket. Not fair towards non-hunting knife lovers, really. :-(

Master
    Aren't the ones on there liner locks though Karl?
    Yes the 35 is Hugh

Master
    Bought this little beauty in the end, seems nice for my first one.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

😂

I did exactly the same and started looking at the random micro knives they have on there!!
    Now going to have some knives in the collection I can only just see!!!!!!!!
    Like you said, thanks to TZ for showing me things I didn’t even realise I wanted!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    So.... thanks again TZ for showing me a website with stuff on it I didn't know I wanted!

EDC was a new concept to me... so playing it safe.. I bought this bad boy off Heinnie:

All solid steel construction... UK legal.. just..

Never mind your fancy Breitling "co-pilot" modules - I'm starting a new trend for us Seiko wearers - the tactical clasp: