closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent EDC knife for £50?

Master

Decent EDC knife for £50?

Know there's a few people on here into knives so thought I'd ask opinions on a new EDC knife for working in the garden, garage etc. Did order a Kershaw Cryo 2 but found it slightly too big for what I'm after so it's going back. Looking for something with a blade length of around 3 inch, not too heavy but not a lightweight either and keeps a decent edge. Thinking about the original Kershaw Cryo as it's smaller than the 2nd version or a CRKT Drifter G10. It will get used and abused so needs to be on the sturdy side.
    Any ideas?

Thanks all.

Mora. Fits the purpose perfectly.

If you’re looking at those then presumably you’re after a folder, which rules out the otherwise ideal Mora? Both lock, so you’re also not worried about UK legal carry, as otherwise I’d suggest a SAK or maybe an Enzo PK70.

Personally I’m not mad about folders, but with your specifications I’d be thinking maybe a Spyderco Delica or a Benchmade Griptillian, though these are above your budget, so how about a Spyderco Tenacious?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    You will struggle to beat the Spyderco UKPK. Correct length blade for UK carry, light weight, deep pocket clip, easy blade deployment. It is a bit pricey but it was designed specifically for UK carry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Given everyone has different tastes probably the best bet is to go on Heinnie Haynes website and use the filters for price, blade length etc. Remember the sub 3inch folding rule if it will be carried in a public place. (unless you can provide good reason of course).

Check out the Viper Dan range. Big as you can go with uk legal carry but excellent build quality and great slicer

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You will struggle to beat the Spyderco UKPK. Correct length blade for UK carry, light weight, deep pocket clip, easy blade deployment. It is a bit pricey but it was designed specifically for UK carry.

I personally prefer the Spyderco Urban to the UKPK, great for all the same reasons, but fills the palm better to give a better more comfortable grip.... Heinnies prices are getting crazy, but the only place that have in stock currently.... I am sure someone can pass on a 10% discount code.....

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Check out the Viper Dan range. Big as you can go with uk legal carry but excellent build quality and great slicer
    Do you have a recommendation to fit the OP's needs, ie "Decent EDC knife for £50", please?

I like my little Case stockman. In the pocket at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I like my little Case stockman. In the pocket at the moment.
    They are lovely knives - I have one with the yellow/ivorene handle.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Do you have a recommendation to fit the OP's needs, ie "Decent EDC knife for £50", please?
    My bad.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I personally prefer the Spyderco Urban to the UKPK, great for all the same reasons, but fills the palm better to give a better more comfortable grip.
    I have not tried the urban yet but sounds great.
    I must admit that although all these single folders are great, I am struggling to find a reason not to use my Victorinox Cadet Alox as my daily carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I have not tried the urban yet but sounds great.
    I must admit that although all these single folders are great, I am struggling to find a reason not to use my Victorinox Cadet Alox as my daily carry.

I am the same with my Alox Bantam

Master
    Thanks all, plenty to look at there. This won't be carried in public as I have other uk carry legal ones. For use at home only, off to take a look at the suggestions.

Thanks again🖒

Decent EDC knife for £50?

If it helps, I am off to the US at the end of January and will be visiting one of the cutlery shops there for sure.

CRKT Liong Mah Folder from https://www.heinnie.com/crkt-liong-m...ed-edition-red

I bought this a few weeks ago as my new EDC toolbag work Knife, it is well within budget at 24.95.

UK Legal EDC, which is important as carry this at work and for work.

I think it value for money. It is not Chris Reeve Sebenza ( my workshop knife ) but is very good.

Last edited by pastrana72; 1st January 2018 at 01:32.

Try and get a spyderco
    Well worth it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    If it helps, I am off to the US at the end of January and will be visiting one of the cutlery shops there for sure.
    Thanks mate very kind offer. I'll keep it in mind and let you know if needed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I am the same with my Alox Bantam

My Victorinox Farmer is my current EDC. Excellent bit of kit.

Blog Entries
    Do you?

Craftsman
    excuse my ignorance. What does EDC stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Do you?
    No, I carry the Alox Cadet or Bantam (both mentioned above) and they did't seem to fit the OP's spec, but I was interested to see the answer to my question.

Then, I might ask you "Do you?"..."have a recommendation to fit the OP's needs":

Given everyone has different tastes probably the best bet is to go on Heinnie Haynes website and use the filters for price, blade length etc. Remember the sub 3inch folding rule if it will be carried in a public place. (unless you can provide good reason of course).

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    Every day carry
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Every Day Carry.

Though typically this refers to something you can and do carry anywhere and everywhere, which is why an EDC in the UK generally refers to a sub 3" non-locking blade.

To the OP. I'm not entirely sure how you define sturdy, but personally would not put things like swiss army knives etc in that catagory. If you want really sturdy then look for something with a scandi grind. Takes a hell of a lot to break a 3mm blade, and they are about as easy to sharpen as knives go.

Craftsman
    Thanks both

Blog Entries
    No, I carry the Alox Cadet or Bantam (both mentioned above) and they did't seem to fit the OP's spec, but I was interested to see the answer to my question.

Then, I might ask you "Do you?"..."have a recommendation to fit the OP's needs":
    I think my answer was relevant. You were just being abrasive and gave no answer at all. I'll leave it there.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 31st December 2017 at 19:52.

I got a Milwaukee flipper as a deal sweetener when I bought some power tools. I was surprised it was really excellent quality. It sports a sturdy mechanism with a ball bearing. There’s absolutely no play. Much better than my semi-expensive Benchmade folder. The Milwaukee would easily fetch £150 with a decent blade brand on it. Here’s the first link I found, be probably wise to google it further if it the knife is of interest.

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.u...aukee-48221994

There are some variations, mine came with a part serrated tanto blade unlike the one in the link.

Craftsman
    If you are happy with a locking blade and one handed opening the Victorinox Soldiers Knife at £37 is a good option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-...FPRA7WQNANQV0J

Sorry for misreading original post, At that range my favourite is the CRKT Lions Mah as someone has already said. I have expensive uk legal customs (not bragging, just a collector) but I find myself carrying the CRKT more than most - only criticism is the spring is not as strong as some others but otherwise, tops for the money.

I think my answer was relevant. You were just being abrasive and gave no answer at all. I'll leave it there.

That may be your your opinion, but I'm happy to leave it at that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I got a Milwaukee flipper as a deal sweetener when I bought some power tools. I was surprised it was really excellent quality. It sports a sturdy mechanism with a ball bearing. There’s absolutely no play. Much better than my semi-expensive Benchmade folder. The Milwaukee would easily fetch £150 with a decent blade brand on it. Here’s the first link I found, be probably wise to google it further if it the knife is of interest.

https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.u...aukee-48221994

There are some variations, mine came with a part serrated tanto blade unlike the one in the link.
    Milwaukee battery tools are right up there, I'd place them as high as festool. I own both brands and for the money you will not find a better product in the market than any Milwaukee fuel product. So the fact you're impressed with the free knife is of no surprise to me.

Milwaukee battery tools are right up there, I'd place them as high as festool. I own both brands and for the money you will not find a better product in the market than any Milwaukee fuel product. So the fact you're impressed with the free knife is of no surprise to me.
    I knew I was buying excellent power tools, that’s why I chose Milwaukee and got a decent set from the Fuel range. I didn’t realise they are serious with hand tools too. I thought it was just some cheapo marketing swag with an inflated price tag to impress the customer. Couldn’t have been more wrong with my assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    I personally prefer the Spyderco Urban to the UKPK, great for all the same reasons, but fills the palm better to give a better more comfortable grip.... Heinnies prices are getting crazy, but the only place that have in stock currently.... I am sure someone can pass on a 10% discount code.....

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-lightweight
    +1 to this. Get a Spyderco Urban.

I did a lot of research and tried a few knives out before settling on the Urban as my EDC. They are great little knives. I have mine on me as long as I’m awake - they are that useful!

Close thread etc.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies, finally decided on the original Kershaw Cryo which is smaller and lighter than the Cryo 2 I bought.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Maybe too late, but this little knife is a firm favourite
    https://www.heinnie.com/case-sod-buster-junior
    A classic, non-threatening and easy to sharpen blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Maybe too late, but this little knife is a firm favourite
    https://www.heinnie.com/case-sod-buster-junior
    A classic, non-threatening and easy to sharpen blade.
    Agreed, a nice carbon blade, wooden handled sodbuster would be a solid choice.

Bit confused over the requirements, title says EDC and subsequent post implies not EDC??

I'd propose this fantastic quality piece from F Hartkopf via Heinnie Haynes at £36.95
    Can't do better imho
    Ebony scales and solingen steel with build quality to admire.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Heinnie Haynes has some great stuff. Excellent customer service. I got a limited edition Heinnie Boker Subcom a couple years back. U.K. Legal carry and there's no chance of chopping a digit off. Really sharp. Think they sold out of these now but you can still get subcoms. IMG_3824.JPG

Meant to add- folds down to credit card size. Leathermans are great too but the Skeletool Cx(?) I have has a locking blade so no good for EDC technically. To be fair if a copper caught you with any length blade even legal carry they can still confiscate it, as it could still be classed as a weapon.

Spiderco UKPK might be best bet for you tho. Solid with a good blade and uk legal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Thanks all, plenty to look at there. This won't be carried in public as I have other uk carry legal ones. For use at home only, off to take a look at the suggestions.

Thanks again
    If it is home use only why does it need to be EDC ?
    I have one of these and it feels really good in the hand, very solidly made and locks for safety in use.

http://www.buck-store.co.uk/knives-c...iABEgKj7fD_BwE

It is also close to budget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    If it is home use only why does it need to be EDC ?
    I have one of these and it feels really good in the hand, very solidly made and locks for safety in use.

http://www.buck-store.co.uk/knives-c...iABEgKj7fD_BwE

It is also close to budget.
    If he carries it around the homestead every day then it is by definition an every day carry knife.
    Last edited by hafle; 1st January 2018 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Every day carry. Not all day carry. If he carries it around the homestead every day then it is by definition an every day carry knife.
    Pedantic, but that’s not historically the understanding of EDC which equates to “street legal”.

Why do you think a policeman might “confiscate” a legal penknife?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Pedantic, but that’s not historically the understanding of EDC which equates to “street legal”.

Why do you think a policeman might “confiscate” a legal penknife?

Being pedantic is questioning the use of the acronym EDC when it has been made abundantly clear why/where it's been used and what kind of knife is desired. I have never come across any deinition or description which suggests the item must be street legal to meet the criteria of EDC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have quite a few UK legal knives, I most enjoy using the more traditional types.

When I moved house I quickly went back to my UKPK with all the boxes and things to open it was much quicker and easier.
    its a very well designed knife the one handed opening and closing is a boon when you only have one hand free.

In my other pocket i had a basic Alox pioneer sac I filed off the key ring to make it easier to use.
    I used it for the basic tools,scraping,screwdriver,awl etc.

My point is when push came to shove these where the best tools for the job when you are using them constantly.

A pioneer is about £20 a UKPK will be more than £50 but is worth the extra in the long run.
    The Urban I tried but was pointless compared to the UKPK imho.

Never seen the UKPK before - am seriously tempted away from my SAK cadet. Can somebody please explain what the drop point version is?
    Thanks

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Craftsman
    I have had a Victorinox Alox Cadet in my back pocket for years and would be lost without it. For me it’s perfect as it’s inoffensive and I know that I have it when I need it. The bottle opener and screwdrivers get as much use as the blade, the nail file Is not great but the pointy end can take out Philips screws. I would consider the alox bantam though as it’s thinner and I would not have to file the key ring off, which if left on makes holes in your pockets.
    I have the Enzo ukpk too but rarely use it, if you need something for a more heavyweight job then you don’t want a folder, i would rather not use a Scandi for everyday tasks. It is well made though and you don’t need to get the Scandinavian grind, but I am biased, I just don’t like Spyderco’s.
    Have you looked at Michael Morris, his friction folders are lovely but there will be a wait.
    Last edited by Rob N; 1st January 2018 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    Never seen the UKPK before - am seriously tempted away from my SAK cadet. Can somebody please explain what the drop point version is?
    Thanks

Is Knife Blade Shapes any help? Or this version from Spyderco, link?

Thanks very much, learning something new every day :-)