closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditching the iPhone?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I use both android and iOS on a daily basis on a number of devices as I work in digital media designing applications for both platforms.

I'm not loyal to any 1 platform and find it funny when people make excuses for their loyalty beyond personal preference. Its entirely possible to smoothly run your life across multiple platforms. I use a macbook at home, an iMac at work and use an android tablet and phone. All my contacts, calendars, emails, bookmarks and media are linked/synced. It has more to do with what you run on the device and even I was all apple'd up I wouldn't tie myself into apple as I've been using them long enough to remember when being an apple user made life very difficult.

I think the problem new users to android have is the vast difference in experiences that you can have. My wife just got an s8 and while its a lovely device I just don't like their port of android. I much prefer a raw untouched version of the OS. Pick up the wrong phone for your first try and you'll be forever put off. With apple you always know exactly what you're getting.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks- very interesting post that. I think her biggest fear will be running a simple life outside the Apple ecosystem with all of her media stuff. The problem is for me, whilst I'm technically perfectly able on Windows and Android, I've had no exposure to IOS, so helping her won't exactly be easy.

I’m sticking to iPhones but will carry on buying models that are a couple of years old from Sales Corner. My iPhone 6 is still good for at least another year before I upgrade to a 7!

Craftsman
    I use both android and iOS on a daily basis on a number of devices as I work in digital media designing applications for both platforms.

I'm not loyal to any 1 platform and find it funny when people make excuses for their loyalty beyond personal preference. Its entirely possible to smoothly run your life across multiple platforms. I use a macbook at home, an iMac at work and use an android tablet and phone. All my contacts, calendars, emails, bookmarks and media are linked/synced. It has more to do with what you run on the device and even I was all apple'd up I wouldn't tie myself into apple as I've been using them long enough to remember when being an apple user made life very difficult.

I think the problem new users to android have is the vast difference in experiences that you can have. My wife just got an s8 and while its a lovely device I just don't like their port of android. I much prefer a raw untouched version of the OS. Pick up the wrong phone for your first try and you'll be forever put off. With apple you always know exactly what you're getting.

Agree totally.
    Think you can run multude of devices on different platforms.
    Depends what you are doing and what works best.
    Use Windows pc at work due to programs used and then iPhone for work. At home love my I Mac, and i personally think windows PC cannot touch them, use a Android phone (Xioami) after going off I Phone and then when my expensive iPad 1 was no use due to apps not supporting old OS I switched to a Amazon Fire tablet which is more than good enough for what I use it for and not as locked in to Amazon as people think! WOW what a mix, but works for me very well.
    If I can add any advice to the OP don't get too hung up on one brand, get used to using a multitude and take the cuffs off.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    There are countless alternatives, viber and skype to name but two.
    Whatsapp now also does video calling.

I had Nokia candybar phones for many years. They were the best on the market at the time. Then I got an N95, that nearly went out of the window many times in the first couple of months as it was buggy and generally horrible. I got used to it eventually and kept it for years.

The thought of learning a new OS after Symbian filled me with dread, but after a demo of an early Android phone (some kind of Sony) it seemed pretty easy to use so I jumped ship. I even bought a spare in case mine died (still in the wardrobe BNIB somewhere).

A few years back I bought an iPhone 4 from SC to see if I liked it. I did, so a 5S quickly followed which was superseded earlier this year by an SE. As I have an iPad and a Mac they all play nicely, although Apple's almost pathological insistence that I keep all my stuff in the cloud does piss me off. I transfer all my stuff by wire, thanks.

I'm happy enough with my Apple kit, it's not perfect but I'm aware of its limitations and T&C's - some of which I'm less happy with than others. But you either accept them or don't, and move to another platform. Personally, I'm not going back to baked bean cans and string.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Whatsapp now also does video calling.
    Does it?
    I’ll check that out, thanks.

Whilst I appreciate the input of those who work in IT and run multiple phones, PC’s and macs, my wife gets confused between emails, texts and WhatsApp - and it will be weeks before she stops asking my repeated questions about her phone. And she’s not daft - just not interested in Technology - like a lot of people tbh. For the luddites out there, it needlessly confuses matters imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had both IPhones and Android phones. Both operating systems are extremely similar and people that cant transfer from one to the other just don't bear with it those few minutes or else they are just set in their ways. I would say transitioning either way takes a few moments to get used but I can use both without thought at this stage.

At this time, I'm sure I'll be sticking with Android phones as the IPhone thing is crazy in terms of pricing, I also dislike ITunes and Android phones simply have more flexibility.

Recently I had an Asus Zenfone that was extremely impressive; dual sim, 4 day battery, very very good phone; £180. Similar spec I phone would have been 6/700 or 24month contract rubbish.

The screen got smashed after a very severe fall and now I have a HTC which is very good but the Asus battery was off the scale good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I had Nokia candybar phones for many years. They were the best on the market at the time. Then I got an N95, that nearly went out of the window many times in the first couple of months as it was buggy and generally horrible. I got used to it eventually and kept it for years.

The thought of learning a new OS after Symbian filled me with dread, but after a demo of an early Android phone (some kind of Sony) it seemed pretty easy to use so I jumped ship. I even bought a spare in case mine died (still in the wardrobe BNIB somewhere).

A few years back I bought an iPhone 4 from SC to see if I liked it. I did, so a 5S quickly followed which was superseded earlier this year by an SE. As I have an iPad and a Mac they all play nicely, although Apple's almost pathological insistence that I keep all my stuff in the cloud does piss me off. I transfer all my stuff by wire, thanks.

I'm happy enough with my Apple kit, it's not perfect but I'm aware of its limitations and T&C's - some of which I'm less happy with than others. But you either accept them or don't, and move to another platform. Personally, I'm not going back to baked bean cans and string.

Cheers,

Plug
    This. ^^
    Have iPhone se, iMac and iPad and all work fine.
    Tbh I’m not bothered about Apple and all the crap they get up to as long as it all works. Which it does. Very well.

Master
    The apple eco system is very effective at tying people in to their products which unfortunately does mean you are at the mercy of their escalating product pricing strategy. Its worth noting that even if you are using apple devices you don't need to tie yourself to iCloud and iTunes (no getting away from the app store).

As said, I use apple and android using office365 email for work, Gmail for personal account, apple and Google calendar sync and update from both email accounts, Spotify, Google play, Dropbox... etc. And you know what. It all just works.

Funnily enough, of all the things I do run the apple accounts are the most restricted when you want to change anything. I can fully understand how any long term apple user would never leave.

Master
    Its worth noting that even if you are using apple devices you don't need to tie yourself to iCloud and iTunes (no getting away from the app store).
    Why is there no getting away from the app store tying you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’m tempted to leave Apple, have iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro, really do appreciate how it all works quickly but yes it’s expensie and never the most up to date stuff, I do use FaceTime a lot when away to contact my little one, if there was a good reliable alternative to that I may swap oh and somewhere I can store all the photos from the MacBook...

Out of all of them the iPad frustrates me the most, can never find a good alternative to ShowBox on my sisters samsung...
    Google photos for the photos and Whatsapp for video calling.

Blog Entries
    The strange thing I find is people always telling me how their phone, tablet, pc is as good as the Apple one. Like Apple are the standard to aim for. So just buy the Apple one then it's definitely as good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The strange thing I find is people always telling me how their phone, tablet, pc is as good as the Apple one. Like Apple are the standard to aim for. So just buy the Apple one then it's definitely as good.
    Many of us have experienced both Apple and Android, personally I don't believe one is any better than the other, I simply prefer Android's ability for greater personalisation and not being tied in to the never ending round of new Apple phones, Android users seem less likely to be constantly chasing the latest version.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I used to be excited about the latest mobile tech but over the last few years that enthusiasm has waned. I'm used to iPhone and don't make great demands on its technological features if I'm honest. Apps bore me all bar a few and once email, messages and phone contacts has been sorted, I'm content.

Wife needed an upgrade and we ended up getting an X each. You get what you are used to and iCloud made the transfer a doddle. Guess I don't have the enthusiasm or energy to change operating systems as I'm easily content and can't be bothered.

Craftsman
    Because the only way to install apps on an iPhone / iPad is via the App Store.

So you have to use it.

Master
    Well I suppose what I said there actually applies to android and Google play as well.

Well I suppose what I said there actually applies to android and Google play as well.

You can if you look find Android apps outside of Google's Play Store, one of them being Amazon's at one point. They're the ones that carried malware.

Huawei Mate pro 10 is the best smartphone made by mankind to date. I own one and it destroys all the rest

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    Huawei Mate pro 10 is the best smartphone made by mankind to date. I own one and it destroys all the rest
    Including the camera, which is largely what does it for me in any choice?

Edit. Ah, nice camera.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 1st January 2018 at 23:56.

Master
    I like their phones but they need to kill EMUI.

Master
    Agreed! The camera is just incredible, arguably the best portrait mode on a phone. Posted a selection below (all auto mode)

The software take a bit of getting used to but too many benefits mean I can overlook it.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Regarding the recent iphone battery issue,
    Were apple the first company to see the 'profit opportunity' of sealing the battery inside the phone, making battery replacement a 'return to maker' situation rather than simply allowing the owners to have a spare battery which could be swapped in a 'trice'?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Regarding the recent iphone battery issue,
    Were apple the first company to see the 'profit opportunity' of sealing the battery inside the phone, making battery replacement a 'return to maker' situation rather than simply allowing the owners to have a spare battery which could be swapped in a 'trice'?
    probably they were first, but I struggle to remember when was the last time I needed spare battery. I think that was some 15 years ago. Nowadays I just have charging cable at work and car and simply top up my phone if needed. Most of the times it happens in the car because of navigation. I don't recall charging phone at work, but my co-workers borrow my cable from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    probably they were first, but I struggle to remember when was the last time I needed spare battery. I think that was some 15 years ago. Nowadays I just have charging cable at work and car and simply top up my phone if needed. Most of the times it happens in the car because of navigation. I don't recall charging phone at work, but my co-workers borrow my cable from time to time.
    Sorry my bad, the point I was trying to make (badly) is that years back a failing battery was a cheap, quick, easy fix for the owner, Apple in its wisdom decided to seal the battery thus making replacement a return to Apple event.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Its an issue if you travel for work. One of my co-workers had an iPhone 6 (could have been a 7) and every time we traveled to London he'd be panicking looking for somewhere to charge by mid day. He has an 8 now and its no longer an issue.

TBH I was rather shocked at the news. Not that apple were doing this but that it was targeting the battery. I've noticed users complaining and have seen a slow down on the test iPhones I use (a 5s and a 7) but to me it seemed like the processing speed was being purposely slowed with each iOS update. iOS is an incredibly large (physical memory) OS now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post

So you have to use it.

It hardly ties you in though. Being tied in is when you've bought into an ecosystem (e.g buying apps that are not available on other platforms) and as such moving platform would result in a financial loss.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry my bad, the point I was trying to make (badly) is that years back a failing battery was a cheap, quick, easy fix for the owner, Apple in its wisdom decided to seal the battery thus making replacement a return to Apple event.
    and now companies add the convenience of quick charging which conveniently also kills off your sealed-in battery a lot faster

It hardly ties you in though. Being tied in is when you've bought into an ecosystem (e.g buying apps that are not available on other platforms) and as such moving platform would result in a financial loss.

and now companies add the convenience of quick charging which conveniently also kills off your sealed-in battery a lot faster
    So people are either compelled to upgrade frequently or alternatively return to manufacturer for a battery replacement, ''stitched up'' springs to mind.

Operating systems aside, I’ve had enough iPhones and android phones (both cheaper Moto G and more expensive Samsung and htc models and 4 different iPhones) to come to the conclusion that android phones just never last very long - they start slowing down and playing up and need constant fiddling with settings by the time they get to 18 months old whereas iPhone offers a product that seems to last a bit longer. I’m sure if you’re a tech whizz you’re happy to restore the phone every now and again and able to google fixes but for your average ‘I just want a smartphone that works’ person I think Apple offer a more stable device. Happy to hear differently but that has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Operating systems aside, I’ve had enough iPhones and android phones (both cheaper Moto G and more expensive Samsung and htc models and 4 different iPhones) to come to the conclusion that android phones just never last very long - they start slowing down and playing up and need constant fiddling with settings by the time they get to 18 months old whereas iPhone offers a product that seems to last a bit longer. I’m sure if you’re a tech whizz you’re happy to restore the phone every now and again and able to google fixes but for your average ‘I just want a smartphone that works’ person I think Apple offer a more stable device. Happy to hear differently but that has been my experience.

Restore? What's that? Never needed it. Okay, maybe when I pass an unwanted mobile on to family I do a factory restore.
    One tiny point. I have an app on my S7 and my Nexus 7. Free. I wanted it on my iPad. £30. Yes, right. So my iPad is lacking that app.

Master

I never reset my phones or do any fiddling or optimizing etc. they've always worked just great day in day out, and my 7 year old Bravo is still doing just great. I rarely buy new phones because there just isn't a need for me. Conversely my partner has never had anything but grief with her older iphones. I think like most things techy, everyones experience will be different to the next persons (especially when it comes to battery life!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post

So you have to use it.

Is that a problem, given it's easy enough and plenty of choice?

Craftsman
    That doesn't at all reflect my experience of Android.

Even if available on another platform, wouldn’t you have to pay again?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got an iMac & switched to a Samsung Galaxy because iirc the iphone was irritating me in some way which I have now forgotten. Ever since then I've not been able to sync my phone when I plug it into the iMac, or use any of my music from iTunes because the iMac doesn't seem to like talking to a Samsung Galaxy. I'm sure there's a way around this but it's proved too complicated, required too many forgotten passwords & too much presumed computer literacy for me to be able to resolve. I'll just change back to an iPhone next time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    ...I've not been able to sync my phone when I plug it into the iMac, or use any of my music from iTunes because the iMac doesn't seem to like talking to a Samsung Galaxy. I'm sure there's a way around this but it's proved too complicated...
    I think it's just simply copying (via SD card or Android File Transfer app) the entire iTunes music folder (found in "your username">Music>iTunes>iTunes Media).

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

I got rid of my iPhone and moved to Android with a Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Wish I'd done it earlier! The phone is so much better and the (4k) screen quality is great for watching programmes when travelling too, assuming of course the provider, Amazon in my case, has 4k e.g. with the Grand Tour

Craftsman
    Recently upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus but went back and forth about the new Samsung S8; I really wanted to hop on the Samsung bandwagon, they have some really cool gadgets like the VR and 360 Camera, also the S3 Frontier is a great looking smart watch!

Just couldn’t bring myself to switch over, most people I know have an iPhone and iMessage is just so fluid, couldn’t bring myself to use WhatsApp all the time. Hopefully they’ll update SMS to the digital age.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've got an iMac & switched to a Samsung Galaxy because iirc the iphone was irritating me in some way which I have now forgotten. Ever since then I've not been able to sync my phone when I plug it into the iMac, or use any of my music from iTunes because the iMac doesn't seem to like talking to a Samsung Galaxy. I'm sure there's a way around this but it's proved too complicated, required too many forgotten passwords & too much presumed computer literacy for me to be able to resolve. I'll just change back to an iPhone next time
    Or you could do the right thing and ditch the iMac/iTunes altogether

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Or you could do the right thing and ditch the iMac/iTunes altogether
    Calm down

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    This did make me chuckle- seemed like they were running out of really useful stuff to add. This really is the featured selling point of the new £1200 phone?

It actually is! The way we communicate is abbreviated and facial recognition and emoji based facial movements with speech are the start of a new method to communicate. We all know how cold and personal a text is so enhanced with the ability to personalise it and not have to type is cool. Moving forward the conversations by text will appear more fun and personal and emojis will be customisable to make them look like your own face etc.

Lets not knock progress, the Apple battery wasn’t a fiasco they made an operating system more powerful and older phones count keep up so they slowed it down to save the battery just like when your windows PCs all needed more RAM or Memory or a faster graphics card, its progress.

Plus as we all know Apple phones are very expensive but once you buy one then it holds it value well for a fair few years and even iPhone 5 & 6 still fetch a few hundred pounds which os very good considering they were less than £500 new once.
    RIAC

Master
    Progress, ha! I'll keep my regular texts please. They do exactly as is needed. If you want silly emoji and such then go and use WhatsApp or something :) Text message, the clue is in the name. Next you'll be saying the emoji bar on the laptop is also progress.

Grand Master
    Progress, ha! I'll keep my regular texts please. They do exactly as is needed. If you want silly emoji and such then go and use WhatsApp or something :) Text message, the clue is in the name. Next you'll be saying the emoji bar on the laptop is also progress.
    Are you the same bloke who said Ill keep my sundial when they invented the compass!
    RIAC

Aye just keep telling yourself that.

Grand Master
    I have AirPods, without doubt one of the best things I have purchased in everyday, my mate said I won’t wear them as they look silly! Why? Because they dont have a wire! Its perception, if earphones were always wireless and we added wire they would say the same. Dont fight new things, embrace them.

On a separate note any iPhone X users gone back to using a iPad or iPhone with a button? Seems quite retro already, love the new build
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It actually is! The way we communicate is abbreviated and facial recognition and emoji based facial movements with speech are the start of a new method to communicate. We all know how cold and personal a text is so enhanced with the ability to personalise it and not have to type is cool. Moving forward the conversations by text will appear more fun and personal and emojis will be customisable to make them look like your own face etc.
    Seriously? It's just novelty bobble rubbish. There's already a good number of ways to send animated drivel to each other If you're telling me everyone is going to be modelling their text messages into a talking horse in the future, well, I would disagree.

"I think the Reverend Moon is god, and I'm going to give him all of my monneeeeeeeeeey..."

Grand Master
    Just remember this thread in a year!

RIAC

Master
    Are you the same bloke who said Ill keep my sundial when they invented the compass!
    No, I'm the guy who knows a gimmick when he sees one :)

No, I'm the guy who knows a gimmick when he sees one :)
    Some folk think the Emperors new clothes are pretty spiffing, whilst some of us think he's actually boll#*k naked.

No, he's the bloke who said I'll keep the sundial until the compass can tell the time as well.