closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ditching the iPhone?

Master
    I’ve had android and iOS devices - currently iPhone is winning for me .
    One thing I seem to find is that whenever I have a reasonably recent iPhone , colleagues , customers and aquaintences appear to ‘need’ to show me their latest android handset proclaiming it ‘the iPhone killer’ .
    Frankly I’m amazed iPhones still sell given the number of iPhone killers I’ve been shown .
    When I have a decent android handset , the opposite hasn’t happened . Odd . Anyone else or is it just me ?

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    I’ve had android and iOS devices - currently iPhone is winning for me .
    One thing I seem to find is that whenever I have a reasonably recent iPhone , colleagues , customers and aquaintences appear to ‘need’ to show me their latest android handset proclaiming it ‘the iPhone killer’ .
    Frankly I’m amazed iPhones still sell given the number of iPhone killers I’ve been shown .
    When I have a decent android handset , the opposite hasn’t happened . Odd . Anyone else or is it just me ?
    And this is important to you?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And this is important to you?

No , not at all , merely an observation added to the debate

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is that a problem, given it's easy enough and plenty of choice?
    Absolutely not. Was just answering a question :)

I’ve not been unable to find an app to do what I want, so I’m a happy Apple camper. ( the fact it’s Apple who make the phones I like and run the App Store that has the apps I like has no bearing on it )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Went to iPhone a few years back but android 6 sorted a lot of the security problems that drove me away and the photo quality had improved as lot so I'll be taking a very close look at the pixel 2 and galaxy s8 when next change is due.

Like the thought of a vanilla android phone but not sure the battery life on the pixel is going to do the job, few reports of high idle usage although hopefully that can be sorted with software updates. Galaxy looks to have a fantastic screen. Not keen on rear fingerprint scanner but guess you get used to it.

Master
    After a long time with iPhones Im now on android with a galaxy S8 - the switch was easy as I backed up to Google anyway.

When upgrade time comes I'll be going back to apple. This is good but the iPhone feels more complete. Plus the battery is terrible on this too! Much worse than the iPhone ever was for me

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    After a long time with iPhones Im now on android with a galaxy S8 - the switch was easy as I backed up to Google anyway.

When upgrade time comes I'll be going back to apple. This is good but the iPhone feels more complete. Plus the battery is terrible on this too! Much worse than the iPhone ever was for me
    Turn the power saver on. You won't notice the difference in daily use and it saves hours a day on my S7.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Absolutely not. Was just answering a question :)

I’ve not been unable to find an app to do what I want, so I’m a happy Apple camper. ( the fact it’s Apple who make the phones I like and run the App Store that has the apps I like has no bearing on it )

Oh ok I see what you mean.

Why do people get so upset with android and Apple? - is it just ‘it’s overpriced so therefore rubbish’? - I can’t think of any other sector where people get so riled up. For instance, I don’t understand why people spend a fortune on boring but expensive German cars when they can buy a perfectly good Ford or Kia or whatever that does the same job - but I don’t park next to BMW’s and tell the driver how stupid he is, or assume he’s an idiot for ‘wasting money’ - who cares? - isn’t ‘my phone’s better than yours’ an argument best left to nerdy teenagers?

+1

I just don't understand why adults argue so strongly about someone else's choice of phone.

Not so much here right enough but ....

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Why do people get so upset with android and Apple? - is it just ‘it’s overpriced so therefore rubbish’? - I can’t think of any other sector where people get so riled up. For instance, I don’t understand why people spend a fortune on boring but expensive German cars when they can buy a perfectly good Ford or Kia or whatever that does the same job - but I don’t park next to BMW’s and tell the driver how stupid he is, or assume he’s an idiot for ‘wasting money’ - who cares? - isn’t ‘my phone’s better than yours’ an argument best left to nerdy teenagers?

Just saw that on Android 8.0 (already out for Pixel devices) you’re able to watch YouTube while doing anything else on the phone. When will iphone catch up?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Completely agree. It comes across as a bit of an inferiority complex sometimes - I don't say next door are gullible sheep because they spent more on a car than I did

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just saw that on Android 8.0 (already out for Pixel devices) you’re able to watch YouTube while doing anything else on the phone. When will iphone catch up?!
    Yikes. I'm warming to Animojis..

Regardless of which device/OS you use, why on earth would you want to do that?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Regardless of which device/OS you use, why on earth would you want to do that?
    Because most videos I watch on YouTube don’t need my whole screen! Would be nice to keep YouTube going while I reply to emails or use whatsapp etc. Picture in picture is v handy.

4:40 https://youtu.be/a-9IZz8Ry5I

Craftsman

The Verdict..

Well.

We talked about it last night..

..and she's decided on another iPhone!

So much for that!

Craftsman

Talking

.... which is now slowing down again supposedly!

Master
    from some tech page on the interwebs

It’s easy enough to find out if the battery is the culprit. Just head to Settings > Battery > Battery Health. There you’ll see your battery’s maximum capacity, an indicator of how far it has degraded. And if your iPhone has had a battery-related shutdown—but not before—you'll see the option to disable the throttle and go full steam ahead.

My battery is at 88% and has been for the past year with no slowdowns. If the battery isn't the cause of the slowdown then it might be worth checking the following.
    1) number of apps open in background (this shouldn't cause issues but it might)
    2) number of pages open in safari.
    3) Do a power cycle.
    4) If all else fails do a factory reset.

I've had 3 iPhones since my first iPhone 5 all had a modicum of slowdown but most were made bearable again by one or more of the above. One did have a battery replacement recall done though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    from some tech page on the interwebs

It’s easy enough to find out if the battery is the culprit. Just head to Settings > Battery > Battery Health. There you’ll see your battery’s maximum capacity, an indicator of how far it has degraded. And if your iPhone has had a battery-related shutdown—but not before—you'll see the option to disable the throttle and go full steam ahead.

My battery is at 88% and has been for the past year with no slowdowns. If the battery isn't the cause of the slowdown then it might be worth checking the following.
    1) number of apps open in background (this shouldn't cause issues but it might)
    3) Do a power cycle.
    4) If all else fails do a factory reset.

I've had 3 iPhones since my first iPhone 5 all had a modicum of slowdown but most were made bearable again by one or more of the above. One did have a battery replacement recall done though.
    Thanks, that's decent info, appreciate it - I shall pass it onto the good lady.

If she’s still happy with it it might be worth replacing the battery. I sent my old iPhone X off on Saturday to Apple for them to replace the battery which was showing as needing service. It arrived back this afternoon and has been handed on to my daughter to replace her iPhone 7 which also needs a new battery. Apple charged me £69 plus £7 postage which I thought was very reasonable considering the complexity of the phone construction.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    When my father in law called me over to fix his iPhone because "it's broken and won't let me use the internet"

^^^
    You can set auto close Safari tabs after one day in settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    .... which is now slowing down again supposedly!
    Hit the nuclear option and reset and erase the phone and start over again.

I have a 6S which is as fast as the day i bought it and its 5 years old so i doubt its the actual hardware that slows down,
    its more likely bloated with apps, junk it picked up from internet use and uncleared info or add-ons that are hogging the resources of the phone.

just my opinion, im usually wrong so take it with a pinch of salt

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can do this already on an iPad (you have one AFAIK so can confirm fir yourself). Can’t do it on iPhone - well, I couldn’t and just tried - but I’ll live. Certainly no reason to trade in my iPhone against a Pixel but I appreciate everyone is different.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    You can do this already on an iPad (you have one AFAIK so can confirm fir yourself). Can’t do it on iPhone - well, I couldn’t and just tried - but I’ll live. Certainly no reason to trade in my iPhone against a Pixel but I appreciate everyone is different.
    You can indeed although but that comment was from 2018. You can do it on most things now :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    ^^^
    Where please?

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Where please?
    In Safari settings.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Where please?
    Press and hold on the square icon at the bottom right then select Close All x Tabs. A pop up appears where you confirm this. You will then be asked if you want to close tabs on a schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    ^^^
    Very helpful, thank you