closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditching the iPhone?

Craftsman

Ditching the iPhone?

Of course the iPhone slowdown and battery thing is big news. I suppose Apple's peace offering makes the immediate problem go away with the battery offer for the iPhone 6 series but I wonder if there'll be a longer term commitment here?

I'm an Android user, but Mrs R is an Apple chick. She's been ranting on about this problem for a decent amount of time and is seriously contemplating ditching the iPhone.

Is anyone else thinking along those lines? Just curious.. or is it Hotel California..?

My last laptop i purposely bought windows and my phones have always been bricks or android, simply becuase i didn't want to get locked into the apple ghetto.

When the iphone first came out there was nothing to touch it, but there is much stiffer compression these days. I have an s7 and i think it's amazing.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

For the first time since moving to iPhone several years ago I'm thinking of leaving them. I have an upgrade due in July '18 so will decide by them. I'd probably go pure android though rather than a tie in to someone like Samsung, I really like the One Plus range.

I tried a lot of different phones before upgrading my iPhone 6. On numerous visits to Carphonewarehouse in the local Currys I'd try out eg email on various phones, another day it might be notetaking, etc etc, in short all of the functions I use a lot. At the end of the day I found things I didn't like in various aspects of the different phones' OS that made none of them as easy to use as an iPhone for me, so I got a 7+. IMHO you really need to extensively try different devices before taking the plunge and possibly regretting it.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Both my daughter's are moving away from Apple as a result of the battery fiasco. The one has already done so, the other will be February.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Conversely my wife has historically always had an iPhone until getting an S7 around this time last year. She’s now back on the iPhone (a X) after mine arrived. The camera was a big draw for her, and Apple have well and truly closed the gap with the X. She’s very happy to be back with the iPhone, we have the full set of Apple gear (iMac, iPad, MacBook etc) so everything is now in harmony once again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Conversely my wife has historically always had an iPhone until getting an S7 around this time last year. She’s now back on the iPhone (a X) after mine arrived. The camera was a big draw for her, and Apple have well and truly closed the gap with the X. She’s very happy to be back with the iPhone, we have the full set of Apple gear (iMac, iPad, MacBook etc) so everything is now in harmony once again.

To be honest I dislike iphones but would be tempted by one if it meant getting rid of my S7. Not sure what the new ones are like, but compared to my partners iphone 5, or my HTC M7, the Samsung feels like a fisher price toy. Plasticy and cheap (yet anything but cheap on the whole). The specs and performance are fine, but I imagine many iphone users who picked one up would feel very dissapointed but the cheap feel of an S7.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    My last laptop i purposely bought windows and my phones have always been bricks or android, simply becuase i didn't want to get locked into the apple ghetto.

When the iphone first came out there was nothing to touch it, but there is much stiffer compression these days. I have an s7 and i think it's amazing.
    I'm with you. My initial skepticism came when I found about Apple Music and their digital rights management process, ie in the early days your music collection could only be transferred a small number of times and then you lost it. That was a long time ago mind, but I discounted Apple on that basis. I won a mini iPod, which was a nice little gizmo until the point I put it in with the washing at 40 degrees, but never went back.

I get the feeling Mrs R won't go for a lower end Android. I bought my brother a Nokia 5 a few weeks back, his first entry to smart phones, and nice as it is I think something high end like the S7 or newer will be where she needs to head. I use Sony Xperia, but on my latest experience with the Z5 I won't be going back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I tried a lot of different phones before upgrading my iPhone 6. On numerous visits to Carphonewarehouse in the local Currys I'd try out eg email on various phones, another day it might be notetaking, etc etc, in short all of the functions I use a lot. At the end of the day I found things I didn't like in various aspects of the different phones' OS that made none of them as easy to use as an iPhone for me, so I got a 7+. IMHO you really need to extensively try different devices before taking the plunge and possibly regretting it.
    Good shout, that. I think we need a sit down with my present Android to see how she'll get on and go from there (that'll be after all of the saucy pictures my mates keep sending me get deleted..)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    ...She’s very happy to be back with the iPhone, we have the full set of Apple gear (iMac, iPad, MacBook etc) so everything is now in harmony once again.
    That is a bit of conundrum. She has a Macbook Pro and an iPad, and so she is very much integrated to that side of things. I've done some cursory reading that it is possible to live with both, and whilst she understands there'll be drawbacks in principle, we'll need to see how that goes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If this is the only reason your wife is thinking of switching them why not just change the battery every 2 years? I get 3 years use from an iPhone and am sure I could easily get a 4th, which does make the initial costs seem more reasonable.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    That is a bit of conundrum. She has a Macbook Pro and an iPad, and so she is very much integrated to that side of things. I've done some cursory reading that it is possible to live with both, and whilst she understands there'll be drawbacks in principle, we'll need to see how that goes.
    All I’ll say is that she hasn’t missed her S7 for one second since the X arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    To be honest I dislike iphones but would be tempted by one if it meant getting rid of my S7. Not sure what the new ones are like, but compared to my partners iphone 5, or my HTC M7, the Samsung feels like a fisher price toy. Plasticy and cheap (yet anything but cheap on the whole). The specs and performance are fine, but I imagine many iphone users who picked one up would feel very dissapointed but the cheap feel of an S7.
    My sister got an X just before Christmas. I have an S7. I love mine. I've no idea why you think it looks and feels cheap; not to me. The screen is stunning, the sheer look of that curved glass as it lies on the coffee table outshines the look of the X side by side. But of course it's a personal thing. I have an iPad Air 2 and know it runs beautifully but the annoying on-screen Back button which isn't always there or is a different shape or in a different position on the screen according to the app is ridiculous compared to the real Back button on Android. And then there's the constant having to add in security codes even though I've turned off as much as I can on the iPad. Thankfully I don't use iTunes much.

Ironically I may not be upgrading to an S9 when it comes out in the Spring. At least from what I've heard about certain power matters. I'm tentatively looking at the Pixel 2, but it seems to be having issues with screen burn, or have they fixed that already? The camera is superb.

Master
    I’ve got an iphone 7plus as my main phone and a moto g5 for monitoring another couple of sims.

The Android is okay , email, surfing , messaging all work fine , decent battery, terrible audio quality on calls compared to the iphone.

I think the iphone is still 10times better in actual use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If this is the only reason your wife is thinking of switching them why not just change the battery every 2 years? I get 3 years use from an iPhone and am sure I could easily get a 4th, which does make the initial costs seem more reasonable.
    One thing I neglected to mention is she had new battery put in a couple of months ago before this news came out, and in her opinion it has made hardly any difference at all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I’ve got an iphone 7plus as my main phone and a moto g5 for monitoring another couple of sims.

The Android is okay , email, surfing , messaging all work fine , decent battery, terrible audio quality on calls compared to the iphone.

I think the iphone is still 10times better in actual use.
    Sure, but is that comparing Apples to Apples?* That's a £150 phone compared to a £500 odd phone.

*No extra charge for the pun. I'm here all night. Try the veal.

Master
    Nope. Staying with the 6s. Just bought sim only deal. You can always sell older iPhones for good money when upgrading whereas android phones are worth pennies after 2 years. I used androids in the early days but just didn’t like them. Also I can’t be bothered to learn a new os.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Of course the iPhone slowdown and battery thing is big news. I suppose Apple's peace offering makes the immediate problem go away with the battery offer for the iPhone 6 series but I wonder if there'll be a longer term commitment here?

I'm an Android user, but Mrs R is an Apple chick. She's been ranting on about this problem for a decent amount of time and is seriously contemplating ditching the iPhone.

Is anyone else thinking along those lines? Just curious.. or is it Hotel California..?

Ditch it. Buy an Android.

Apple have just announced reduced battery replacement pricing, $29 in the USA.

iOS till I die, don't turn to the dark side.

This seems like a non story to me. Apple upgrade their phones regularly, we all know and accept that batteries degrade. So Apple rejig their software to minimise the impact their constant software upgrades have on phones with older batteries - and charge less (even at £70) to replace the batteries than a jeweller will charge to change the battery in a quartz watch. But apparently this is a conspiracy to upgrade your phone? Then why does my spare iPhone 4 still function perfectly well? (Not even a 4s) - and a friend of mine recently ditched his 5s as it was finally slowing down, before upgrading to the X? - I’ve tried Android, and the hardware and software seem overall less durable and stable. And who needs all the personalisation and settings coupled with manufacturer bloatware and hit and miss updates? I’m not a massive Apple fan but they’re reliable and they work - and at least they are now offering cheaper battery changes. I really don’t like understand why people are so furious about being ‘forced to upgrade’ because their phone runs infinitesimally slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve had the 6 for over 3 years I think and to me it’s fairly like a new phone still apart from it needs recharging say in the early evening after using all day, but that’s no big deal to me. Maybe I should look at upgrading now but I’m IT stupid and happy with this. Whatever I’m missing out on I don’t know so don’t care.

Craftsman
    I have never had an android. I went from Blackberry to iPhone.

When ever I have had someone with a new android show it to me, I look at it and really cant figure out how to get started with it. I am sure given time with one it would be fine, but to me the ios layout is simple and easy to get on with. I realise I am speaking from years of iphone usage, but I can remember back when I got my first one, it was quite simple to get on with.

Funny thing, this popped up today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IITzJvMzPUc
    Not saying everyone is like this, but I have to agree that some of my friends fall into this category :p

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I have never had an android. I went from Blackberry to iPhone.

When ever I have had someone with a new android show it to me, I look at it and really cant figure out how to get started with it. I am sure given time with one it would be fine, but to me the ios layout is simple and easy to get on with. I realise I am speaking from years of iphone usage, but I can remember back when I got my first one, it was quite simple to get on with.

Funny thing, this popped up today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IITzJvMzPUc
    Not saying everyone is like this, but I have to agree that some of my friends fall into this category :p
    I think that niether is more or less intuitive than the other, it's simply what you're used to. I can't for the life of me fathom out my partners iphone. Swiping up for wifi etc makes no sense to someone coming from android where everything is accessed from the top. I recall being a bit baffled when I got my first android phone, and to this day still find features I never noticed before (features I missed, not those added by OS updates).

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    This seems like a non story to me. Apple upgrade their phones regularly, we all know and accept that batteries degrade. So Apple rejig their software to minimise the impact their constant software upgrades have on phones with older batteries - and charge less (even at £70) to replace the batteries than a jeweller will charge to change the battery in a quartz watch. But apparently this is a conspiracy to upgrade your phone? Then why does my spare iPhone 4 still function perfectly well? (Not even a 4s) - and a friend of mine recently ditched his 5s as it was finally slowing down, before upgrading to the X? - I’ve tried Android, and the hardware and software seem overall less durable and stable. And who needs all the personalisation and settings coupled with manufacturer bloatware and hit and miss updates? I’m not a massive Apple fan but they’re reliable and they work - and at least they are now offering cheaper battery changes. I really don’t like understand why people are so furious about being ‘forced to upgrade’ because their phone runs infinitesimally slower?

Totally in agreement with you. It’s a complete none story. If you want to change, then change.

The 7 was my first iPhone, and bought because I use a MacBook for work, and an iPad for play - they all just sync very well, whereas I missed a couple of appointments with my old Samsung S not picking up my diary.

Im sure the Samsung S8 is a better phone, but I’m happy enough with the iPhone X for now. One thing I’ve never had to do is reboot the phone, but with the Samsung I’d have to switch it off and on again at least once every couple of weeks due to some glitch. The only slight glitchy thing I have is my downloaded Swype keyboard that can play up if you switch between emails and iMessage mid message.
    It's just a matter of time...

I buy all my phones off contract - the Lenovo P2 for £200 has been a winner - the 5000mah battery means that I am not playing 'hunt the charger' and being dual SIM when I'm out in the sticks easy to switch network.

I’ve had every iPhone every year since the 4 came out with the exception of the 8/X. The question isn’t Apple vs Android as android can be a £200 phone or a £1,000 phone. It’s usually iPhone vs S8/S8+/Note 8 vs Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL.

I’ll be switching next year from my 7+ to either the Pixel 3 XL or Pixel Pro is google ever release it. £1,149 for a phone is outrageous and the Pixel 2 has a better camera (universally agreed) anyway.

My 6S will be my last IPhone. I certainly will not be paying stupid money for a phone with tons of features I don't use or can be screwed with by Apple in order to stiff me for more money.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have a iPhone 7 plus as a personal phone and an android work phone. The iPhone on the whole is simple and straight forward to use, the android on the other hand is less user friendly. An example, i received a picture as an attachment and wanted to forward that picture via WhatsApp to a third person. Could i do it? After trying for a half hour i sacked it off, i couldn't find where the image was saved to and i'm no stranger technology but Android is too unintuitive for me. Stick with Apple.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Used iPhones for a few years and still use an iPad, but I'm rough with my phones so wanted something cheaper in case I broke it.

Bought a moto g mk1 and never looked back. Now got the new moto g which seems as fast, pretty and spacious as an iPhone. (And if I break it down the shed it's only £140)

Master
    I appreciate that if you get used to one operating system then you might retain a preference for one or the other, and have difficulties in adapting to the alternative.
    Being an adaptable sort of person I have gone Android - iPhone - iPhone - Android - Android and have no intention or desire to go back to iPhone - nor indeed, any pressing reason to change.. I know some people who have sold their souls to Apple and will never change. Personal choices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My 6S will be my last IPhone. I certainly will not be paying stupid money for a phone with tons of features I don't use or can be screwed with by Apple in order to stiff me for more money.
    This did make me chuckle- seemed like they were running out of really useful stuff to add. This really is the featured selling point of the new £1200 phone?

Journeyman
    iphones price creeping steadily up. i cant understand blowing the guts of 1000 euro on it. and theres so much more you can do on android. mystifying how they are still popular.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I really don’t like understand why people are so furious about being ‘forced to upgrade’ because their phone runs infinitesimally slower?
    Because of the deceit.

Then treating their customers like mugs by lying about the reason for the deceit trying to pass it off as a feature for the benefit of the customers.

FFs - it's a phone, there are lots of phones on the market.

Change to a different brand if the circumstances bother you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I was an early Android enthusiast and moved over to ios around 5 years ago. For me it was Android fragmentation and the age it took to update my phones that convinced me to change. From what I understand that is a bad as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I was an early Android enthusiast and moved over to ios around 5 years ago. For me it was Android fragmentation and the age it took to update my phones that convinced me to change. From what I understand that is a bad as ever.
    My S7 updates overnight. Except for the main Android updates, or system software updates a couple of times a year I never see the apps update. An exception would be my Nexus 7 v. 2, years old and running the OS before KitKat. It updates annoyingly. Things have changed. Updating my iPad is as much of a pain as it takes ages.

I had an iPhone 4s which is knackered at nearly 5 years old as screen went multicoloured striped and therefore cannot see anything. My two year 5s has been replaced with a Sony Xperia XA1. There seems to be a constant flux of messages where I have deleted a few apps. The phone is ok but has a few quirks. For example when surfing, you have a back button but I had to google how to go forward. I’ve not idea how to scroll up to the top of a page which was easy on an iPhone.

For the price at £170 I cannot complain. I suppose.

Craftsman
    Used to love Apple products, was one of the first to get the original iPhone and at the time nothing could touch it same with iPad, got one of the first released paid near on £700 for it and it's not worth a carrot now. Still use an iPhone (for work) but I've switched to Android now for myself, don't even have to spend daft money, I have a Xioami Mi5 and it's a cracking phone.
    Personally I think Apple are taking the p*** now, nearly £1000 for a phone! Get an Xioami Mi6 or one plus 5T.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Used to love Apple products, was one of the first to get the original iPhone and at the time nothing could touch it same with iPad, got one of the first released paid near on £700 for it and it's not worth a carrot now. Still use an iPhone (for work) but I've switched to Android now for myself, don't even have to spend daft money, I have a Xioami Mi5 and it's a cracking phone.
    Personally I think Apple are taking the p*** now, nearly £1000 for a phone! Get an Xioami Mi6 or one plus 5T.

Just checked the Xioami Mi5/6 out. They look superb, thanks for the heads up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligrub View Post
    Just checked the Xioami Mi5/6 out. They look superb, thanks for the heads up.
    I've had the MI5 since Feb now and was going to swap for the MI6 but cannot justify it as the MI5 is so good (for a phone that cost me just over £200) just make sure you get the global ROM version with Google play store already installed, not hard to do yourself but just easier.
    Also got the MI4 pro for my daughter and mother-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Because of the deceit.

Then treating their customers like mugs by lying about the reason for the deceit trying to pass it off as a feature for the benefit of the customers.
    Oh I see. Not something I’ll be losing any sleep over tbh - I’m sure all the big tech companies are up to the same thing - like the VW emissions scandal for example.

When I got hacked off at apple's lack of compatibility with the outside world I got a huawei p10 - awesome hardware for the money and you can set it up just like an iPhone so it's an ergonomic breeze now. Haven't found a drawback so far at all.

I really don't get the fanboyism and nastiness on either side to be honest.

Craftsman
    Set yourself free from Apple. It will open up a whole new world of choices and options of hardware.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I always had iPhones but switched to Samsung and now absolutely wouldn't go back to Apple.

Craftsman
    iPhone 3 to 4S to Dell Streak to Nexus 5 back to iPhone 4S to Samsung Note 4 to iPhone 6S Plus.

All got problems.

The most annoying thing for me is that Android updates (OS or apps) are poorly tested on older hardware.

The Nexus and Dell were effectively made useless by crap updates, so that most apps didn’t work on them or worked with bugs, or flaws in the OS.

Apple has kept the same 32 bit architecture for yonks (until recently) so you knew that an OS update wouldn’t break the apps.

Plus streaming music worked just fine and you didn’t need to leave the cover open otherwise the audio would drop out every now and then due to crappily implemented power saving, looking at you, Mr Samsung.

Is a phone worth £1000? I wouldn’t pay £1000 for a Rolex but plenty do.

Craftsman
    Some interesting posts.

I'll be showing this later to Mrs R to see if it has any bearing on her thoughts..

I’m tempted to leave Apple, have iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro, really do appreciate how it all works quickly but yes it’s expensie and never the most up to date stuff, I do use FaceTime a lot when away to contact my little one, if there was a good reliable alternative to that I may swap oh and somewhere I can store all the photos from the MacBook...

Out of all of them the iPad frustrates me the most, can never find a good alternative to ShowBox on my sisters samsung...

Master
    I use both android and iOS on a daily basis on a number of devices as I work in digital media designing applications for both platforms.

I'm not loyal to any 1 platform and find it funny when people make excuses for their loyalty beyond personal preference. Its entirely possible to smoothly run your life across multiple platforms. I use a macbook at home, an iMac at work and use an android tablet and phone. All my contacts, calendars, emails, bookmarks and media are linked/synced. It has more to do with what you run on the device and even I was all apple'd up I wouldn't tie myself into apple as I've been using them long enough to remember when being an apple user made life very difficult.

I think the problem new users to android have is the vast difference in experiences that you can have. My wife just got an s8 and while its a lovely device I just don't like their port of android. I much prefer a raw untouched version of the OS. Pick up the wrong phone for your first try and you'll be forever put off. With apple you always know exactly what you're getting.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I do use FaceTime a lot when away to contact my little one, if there was a good reliable alternative to that I may swap

There are countless alternatives, viber and skype to name but two.