closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How does the Rolex date of manufacure code work?

Master

How does the Rolex date of manufacure code work?

I am currently trying to find a Submariner none-date for my son's 21st next year.

Currently I am looking at two, one with a code T584 the other with a U number.

Can anyone tell how high a T number is likely to be made in 1997 and how low a U number would probably be.

Many thanks

Sean

U000 to U950 - ish.

T is 1996.

However are you talking year of manufacture or year it was sold. People often confuse the two.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Year of manufacture Andy.

T is 1996 as you point out but when did Rolex change to U. I read somewhere that Rolex changed from T to U in August 1997.

Master
    Do you know what the clasp codes are?

https://www.minus4plus6.com/numbers.php#clasp

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Do you know what the clasp codes are?

https://www.minus4plus6.com/numbers.php#clasp

scooter
    Beware. Both clasps and entire bracelets are easily swapped and thus dating a watch using the clasp code can be misleading. Where the clasp code and case number (and the case-back date code, in relevant years) broadly coincide, that may provide comfort.

One could go mad with this. The bracelet code, serial number*, case-back date-code, date of supply from Geneva to the relevant territory and finally the date of actual, first sale will all usually differ and indeed be spread over what is typically a two-year period. Which one should we use to determine the "age" of the watch?

Haywood

* Among my sources for determining serial number ages is a leaked "confidenziale" Rolex document which details specific case number date ranges. Even this is flawed and I have irrefutable examples which demonstrate that it is not 100% correct.

Master
    Many thanks for the replies.

So, being able to say with absolute certainty that a watch was made in a particular year may prove to be impossible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    So, being able to say with absolute certainty that a watch was made in a particular year may prove to be impossible.
    With Rolex, indeed.

One may be able to make informed judgements from certain components, or state what documentation says, but there are dozens of recycled and incorrect date-charts published on the internet from which ignorant users indiscriminately derive claims that they repeat as if definitive.

H

Master
    Haywood

I totally agree with you.

Only mentioned it as a guide but should have qualified that with a caution.

From my own situation, I have a P series 14060M without papers, with a bracelet clasp of DE. I have always considered it a 2001 as opposed to a 2000 model.

scooter
    Last edited by scooter; 29th December 2017 at 12:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    With Rolex, indeed.

One may be able to make informed judgements from certain components, or state what documentation says, but there are dozens of recycled and incorrect date-charts published on the internet from which ignorant users indiscriminately derive claims that they repeat as if definitive.

H

Many thanks Haywood. I guess I will just have to get a good example of a Submariner that may come from 1997.