closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 103 of 111 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,150 of 5514

Thread: Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

Had a very pleasant early doors session yesterday . . .

Starter

Main course

F.T.F.A.

Went to The Little Monk in Horsforth Saturday night with family, Belgium/German beer specialties bar ,though it was the kitchen takeover by Farsley Fire & Smoke/Honour the Donner was real attraction. German Donner new thing to me! But beers are good, had a couple of Pierre’s Pale their own beer but not sure who brews it for them.

Then to Town Street Tavern (sadly due to close soon) where I had The Roosters Variation on a Theme.

Then up to Granville’s and had a Ridgeside Company Bitter and a Plain Irish Stout but didn’t get brewery or a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    Went to The Little Monk in Horsforth Saturday night with family, Belgium/German beer specialties bar ,though it was the kitchen takeover by Farsley Fire & Smoke/Honour the Donner was real attraction. German Donner new thing to me! But beers are good, had a couple of Pierre’s Pale their own beer but not sure who brews it for them.

Then to Town Street Tavern (sadly due to close soon) where I had The Roosters Variation on a Theme.

Then up to Granville’s and had a Ridgeside Company Bitter and a Plain Irish Stout but didn’t get brewery or a picture.

Very post modern, kebab then beers! Nice one

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Not required at work this afternoon so thought I’d call at The Highlander ( always known as Highland Laddie when I was younger) closing tomorrow, went in as an apprentice late ‘70’s when at BT , full of engineers Fridays from Westgate Exchange, great pint of Tetleys in the day!
    Pint of Back Sheep and a Leeds Pale.

Unfortunately that may have been your final opportunity to enjoy a Black Sheep (so to speak). After unsuccessfully spending the last couple of weeks attempting to find a buyer, the Black Sheep Brewery announced this morning that it is filing for administration.

It looks like the Riggwelter could have finally lost the struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Unfortunately that may have been your final opportunity to enjoy a Black Sheep (so to speak). After unsuccessfully spending the last couple of weeks attempting to find a buyer, the Black Sheep Brewery announced this morning that it is filing for administration.

Bloody hell that's sad news
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

Drop of Gorkha in Kathmandu before I start the trek up to the Base Camp. Fascinating city

Oh no. That's very sad. They always looked a hive of activity whenever I was there.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Grand Master
    V. surprised to hear the news about Black Sheep Brewery, hopefully it'll survive in some shape or form.

I guess the trend and the money is being made in craft beers. If your market is general ales and bitters then it must be very tough with the energy costs and general price inflation.

Just look at Wetherspoons. You can go in a buy a whole range of bitters for under £2.50, but the craft beers carry a significant premium and are in demand.

Grand Master
    I think there's plenty of room in the marketplace for both traditional cask beers and so-called craft beers, although the craft beers are probably seen as more 'trendy' by the skinny black jeans and goatee beard 30something brigade.........we don't have too many of those in my neck of the woods although they are quite abundant in some of the Leeds city centre bars.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    V. surprised to hear the news about Black Sheep Brewery, hopefully it'll survive in some shape or form.
    That’s a great shame. I remember the first time I had their Best Bitter on cask, pulled through a sparkler in The Horseshoe Inn, Levisham. It was like heaven on my tonsils. One of the easiest drinking pints ever made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I guess the trend and the money is being made in craft beers. If your market is general ales and bitters then it must be very tough with the energy costs and general price inflation.

Just look at Wetherspoons. You can go in a buy a whole range of bitters for under £2.50, but the craft beers carry a significant premium and are in demand.
    Not at all I’m afraid. As far as I’m aware, the money’s made in two key areas:

1. The big multinational macro brewers, and
    2. PubCo’s in the UK who tie their landlords

Cask is though indeed a small share by comparison to kegged beer, cider and other bottled bevs.

Master

Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

I think there's plenty of room in the marketplace for both traditional cask beers and so-called craft beers, although the craft beers are probably seen as more 'trendy' by the skinny black jeans and goatee beard 30something brigade.........we don't have too many of those in my neck of the woods although they are quite abundant in some of the Leeds city centre bars.
    They actually fare very well together. If you look at what the really good independent craft breweries are doing, many are keeping their core range in can and keg, but also trying hard to keep cask supported.

Far from being a hipster-only affair, the craft / independent scene is a broad church. Most of the guys and girls brewing passionately now will tell you about the cask beers they knew and loved and grew up with, just as much as the UK or American craft brewers who inspired them to make hoppy, hazy pale ales and IPA’s, the German and Czech brewers who made amazing layered beers and that before we get onto the wonderful world of Belgian treats.

Verdant for instance have introduced a new core cask range which is as much a tribute (no pun intended) to the Proper Job they loved and still love, locally to them in the South West.
    Last edited by S Works; 2nd May 2023 at 16:51.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    That’s a great shame. I remember the first time I had their Best Bitter on cask, pulled through a sparkler in The Horseshoe Inn, Levisham. It was like heaven on my tonsils. One of the easiest drinking pints ever made.
    I stayed there approx. 12 years ago and I remember a similar experience! Having finished a 15 mile walk certainly contributed.

I always enjoyed Black Sheep bitter but in recent years I think the quality started to vary and I actually stopped drinking it for that reason, the flavour seemed to change. Possibly it was me who changed but I seem to think it was quite abrupt, not gradual.

Maybe I`m biased, I was born and bred in Ossett, but I find most of the Ossett Brewery beers to suit me better thesedays. Silver King is my favourite.

Master
    I stayed there approx. 12 years ago and I remember a similar experience! Having finished a 15 mile walk certainly contributed.

I always enjoyed Black Sheep bitter but in recent years I think the quality started to vary and I actually stopped drinking it for that reason, the flavour seemed to change. Possibly it was me who changed but I seem to think it was quite abrupt, not gradual.

Maybe I`m biased, I was born and bred in Ossett, but I find most of the Ossett Brewery beers to suit me better thesedays. Silver King is my favourite.
    Small world!

I think you’re correct in your experience. The brewery changed hands and things went awry for a bit. I grew up in Kent, schooled on Harvey’s Best and Shepherd Neame Spitfire. Moving to Yorkshire for Uni was a joyous beer awakening.

I’ve only had White Rat from Ossett, will keep an eye open for Silver King next time up up that way. Usually I’m around Ilkley with the outlaws, which means suppin’ the local elixir there (Mary Jane & their Pale).

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

But 'Spoons often smell of wee and despair, there's usually at least one old dosser with vomit in his beard...though if you can find a tolerable one, without the aroma, the beers cheap.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But 'Spoons often smell of wee and despair, there's usually at least one old dosser with vomit in his beard...though if you can find a tolerable one, without the aroma, the beers cheap.
    Come on, be honest......when did you last visit one?

I accept that the quality is variable and in some locations they are frequented by some dubious clientele, but generally they're fine. Just stayed overnight at the Thirsk Wetherspoons and that was OK, likewise the one in Ripon.

It's narrow-minded to generalise, I`ve yet to visit one that smells of wee and despair!

Come on, be honest......when did you last visit one?

I accept that the quality is variable and in some locations they are frequented by some dubious clientele, but generally they're fine. Just stayed overnight at the Thirsk Wetherspoons and that was OK, likewise the one in Ripon.

It's narrow-minded to generalise, I`ve yet to visit one that smells of wee and despair!
    Ah fair enuff maybe there's better'uns out there...my Dad dragged me into one in SkegVegas, pre covid, twas never going to be the creme de la menthe of society in that location, it certainly did have the eau de toilet and a vagrant with carrot in his beard.
    Last edited by Passenger; 2nd May 2023 at 17:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Enjoying a month long cruise from Oz to Hawaii and I have found a lovely American bottled IPA called Sierra Nevada 5.6 and it’s packed full of hoppy fruity flavours going down a treat at lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Enjoying a month long cruise from Oz to Hawaii and I have found a lovely American bottled IPA called Sierra Nevada 5.6 and it’s packed full of hoppy fruity flavours going down a treat at lunchtime.
    A very good brewery and one that kind of kick started the American IPA thing
    Most of their beers are available in the uk as they are imported (and some are even brewed) by Fullers in London.

Master
    Allthough I see the usual stout stuff, I pleases me to see that the UK drinks a lot of the Belgium and German beers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    On many a US road trip with the family I’d have a case of Sierra Nevada in the trunk on the car for a couple of beers in the motel. A very nice craft beer.

This was before craft beer was widely available in the U.K. But I now find you can replicate Sierra Nevada good craft taste with other UK brands, especially as Sierra Nevada is expensive in the U.K. and sold in small bottles.

It is a bog standard mainstream craft beer sold relatively cheaply throughout the US

Yeah , shame , did brewery tour there a few years back , first experience of Riggwelter! Went in the recently re-opened Mr Foley’s in Leeds that they had taken on so hoping it doesn’t fold.
    Just called for a cheeky one in Kirkstall Brewery tap
    Special Mild , lovely drop!

Oh dear! Sad news, it’s our beer of choice when we stay in Cumbria

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman

An excellent non alcoholic option for a school night

Yeah , shame , did [the Black Sheep] brewery tour there a few years back...
    Even more of a shame if you happen to be one of the original investors.* I can remember the earliest AGMs were held in the vacant space at the top of the brewery, which was to later became the Visitor Centre.

All the attending shareholders would sit (fairly) attentively on old wooden chairs listening to Paul Theakston outlining progress to date. Opening the floor to questions was generally a relatively short lived affair since it was followed by a free bar where Paul and all the other directors could be directly addressed over a freshly brewed pint (or several). Happy daze days indeed.

* Albeit on a modest scale and partially tax rebated through a government sponsored business initiative.

Craftsman
    Another Lidl special -

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Another Lidl special -

What's your opinion of it Alan? It's in my local branch and I may give it a try.
    F.T.F.A.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I'd definitely buy it again Bob and a cheeky 7.5% makes it slip down nicely. A little sweet but still very quaffable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    I'd definitely buy it again Bob and a cheeky 7.5% makes it slip down nicely. A little sweet but still very quaffable.

Thanks Alan. 7.5% and quaffable sounds dangerous . . . I'd best get some! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Out for a few last night , Granville’s first for a couple

Had the 14 first then 13

We then walked down Town St to see if Town Street Tavern was open, but sadly has closed down, so went in Kings Arms. Bumped into some friends who said that the people from The Fleece in Horsforth were going to re-open the Tavern so fingers crossed!
    Had these in Kings, both very nice.

That's "Tropical" not "Fropical", it's to remind me which daughter bought it for me. Very refreshing after several hours in toiling in the garden to escape today's pantomime . . .

F.T.F.A.

A toast to it all being over. Normality restored in the world.

Blog Entries
    £7.99 for a four pack in local Lidl.

Seemed rude not to.

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Seemed rude not to.

z
    That's a very "healthy" %age z. A few of those and it'll be zzzzzz ! ;-) I'd best look out for that when I'm in there next.
    F.T.F.A.

This has been excellent this week in the Vic . . .

However, confined to barracks tonight so starting with this from Lidl, a mere 5% mouthwash. ;-) . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries

Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

For those with an interest in American craft fare. The Firestone brewery in Paso Robles is decent. 805 is the staple pilsner in the area. They some nice hoppy stuff too.

Also the creat of the lion and the bear represents the American and British owners.

https://www.firestonebeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Seemed rude not to.

z
    Good effort, I am not sure I could drink it. I prefer quaffable beer 4.5% max. I would be asleep after a 10%er.

Just Guinness for me tonight.

Now to visit Lidl's darker side . . .

F.T.F.A.

Couple in Whitby Brewery , similar to Northern Monk Faith and very nice with it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks very fruity.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    That looks very fruity.
    Yeah tropical flavours I really like this , didn’t even have a Jet Black while there!
    M

Stopped over in Penrith on our way south and had to pop into the wonderful Fell Bar, with it’s terrific selection of local real ales!

I started on the 4.2% Cumbrian Dry Stout, which was my choice for the evening. Lovely sweetness and malty flavours.

Madam started gently on the Fell Ghyll Golden, but migrated quickly on to the cloudy Fell Pinnacle at 8%! That sorted her out!

Suffice to say that a few glasses were consumed, including an intermediate Ullswater Gold with our evening meal at the hotel, before we went back to the Fell for a nightcap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Called in Granville’s for couple yesterday after shopping, couple of Wilde Child, 15 then 13

Had this later back home

Forgot to post this one last weekend, very hazelnutty and chocolate though finishes a bit bitter roast nut flavour

What's the deal with these silver cans and stuck on labels. Is it just a cost thing for smaller brewers or is the beer being made centrally somewhere and then being badged up to fob us off?

Although it's turned chilly now, it was a glorious day on the North East coast. Had a full day of allotment and garden jobs. Just relaxing by the pond with two bottles of Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Mrs T in Portugal so out for a few with a mate , Kirkstall Brewery Special Mild

Dave’s Pie’s & Ale shop , Brass Castle Beware Soothsayers west coast IPA

Cardigan Arms , Kirkstall Three Swords

Finally , Bridge at Kirkstall , Kirkstall Bitter

Last edited by Thomps68; 21st May 2023 at 00:42.

Tried the new Peroni Capri yesterday…..rather odd taste I just say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    What's the deal with these silver cans and stuck on labels. Is it just a cost thing for smaller brewers or is the beer being made centrally somewhere and then being badged up to fob us off?

The former. Also allows more flexibility with printing, which the independents need more than the macro producers because they are doing new recipes every week.