closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 40 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 2,000 of 5490

Thread: Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

I was in the Vic on Sunday lunchtime, a wee slurp to send off a couple of friends on a lengthy holiday. Due to the barman mistakenly coupling the Big Lamp cask to the Raven line I was obliged to quaff several pints of Raven that were pulled through, half price. The mark of a good regular, helping out his host! :-)

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I was in the Vic on Sunday lunchtime, a wee slurp to send off a couple of friends on a lengthy holiday. Due to the barman mistakenly coupling the Big Lamp cask to the Raven line I was obliged to quaff several pints of Raven that were pulled through, half price. The mark of a good regular, helping out his host! :-)

Surely not Michael!
    Continuing the Spanish theme, my son has ceoliac disease so this is always available in our house for his infrequent visits - very good it is too. But not as good as Raven Bob, which must rank as one of the best dark beers

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

Tonight I will mainly be drinking a selection of IPA from Marks and Spencer...

z
    From the3 for £5 offer - including clementine, grapefruit and orange IPAs.

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Surely not Michael!
    Hahaha! No, it was Andrew, who you will know by sight, one of the domino players. Michael would have doubled the price for novelty value, he didn't buy the pub to give beer away! His sister Libby gave us the cheapies. Sorry to read of your lad's condition, hope he's doing ok.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z

They'll be good quality no doubt, but I just don't like fruit flavoured ales.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    They'll be good quality no doubt, but I just don't like fruit flavoured ales.
    Could murder an IPA, all out of Ghost Ship too. Only Budweiser left so that will have to do.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

En route to the Vic via Elvet Bridge rather than through town by the Cathedral due to a very muddy stretch where some building work is being done. Been a while since I had a Smith's stout, so popped in the Swan . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    En route to the Vic via Elvet Bridge rather than through town by the Cathedral due to a very muddy stretch where some building work is being done. Been a while since I had a Smith's stout, so popped in the Swan . . .

I'm a big fan of the chocolate stout.
    Got a mixed case from beer52 coming this week so will see what darks that's has.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Surely not Michael!
    Continuing the Spanish theme, my son has ceoliac disease so this is always available in our house for his infrequent visits - very good it is too. But not as good as Raven Bob, which must rank as one of the best dark beers

If your son likes a dark beer, try to find some Montys Dark Secret. It is a gluten free, award winning stout - which is absolutely gorgeous too! I think Montys Brewery also make other gluten free beers, just in case you need to have more of a selection in place for his arrival!

I really like that one , like chocolate in a glass , their organic raspberry beer is an absolute stunner!

Master
    Couple of nice ones to start the weekend here.

Beatnikz Republic from Manchester mad this fruity, double-dry hopped number. Crisp, fruity and refreshing, could drink a few of these.

And this IPA from another Manchester stalwart, Cloudwater, was smooth as silk and exactly as described on the label!

Away for a few days, up in beautiful Northumberland. Local pub has Tetley's and gorgeous views.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    Nice pint of Harveys at the Lion & Lobster Brighton

Mmmmm beer. What beer are we drinking tonight?

Out yomping down by the Wear, when I get here . . .

. . . it's not far for a warm through and a fortifier for the slog up the hill yem . . .

Last edited by magirus; 3rd December 2019 at 17:31.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Nice pint of Harveys at the Lion & Lobster Brighton

Love a pint of Harvey's when I am down in Sussex.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Enjoyed this last night, was very nice indeed.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Not back to work until Wednesday next week, should be plenty of time to get over this little number then

Polly's Brew Co. have been knocking it out the park recently, the last 3 or 4 of theirs that I've tried I'd buy all again in a heartbeat. "Dream Like Sequence" has a wonderful dankness to it with the lactose just giving a hint of softness - cheers

PBC DLS

PBC DLS

Nipped up the Toon for an early (for me) Christmas shop. Popped in the Bridge, no stout or porter on, 3 of the handpulls were off, just bad timing. However tried a couple of ½s of the darker ales, very nice too . . .

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Nipped up the Toon for an early (for me) Christmas shop. Popped in the Bridge, no stout or porter on, 3 of the handpulls were off, just bad timing. However tried a couple of ½s of the darker ales, very nice too . . .

Your a lucky man Bob to live in such a great city with so much choice and quality pubs.
    Just the one can for me tonight

Your a lucky man Bob to live in such a great city with so much choice and quality pubs.
    Just the one can for me tonight
    It's a pleasant change to see beer from a can that's clear and sparkling Alan. Most seem to be cloudy/opaque and quite unattractive.
    F.T.F.A.

The beers in my last post were from the Bridge Hotel in Newcastle Alan. A short 200m walk south over the High Level bridge puts you in Gateshead in the Central, where a typical board looks like this . .

. . . happy days!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Not back to work until Wednesday next week, should be plenty of time to get over this little number then

Polly's Brew Co. have been knocking it out the park recently, the last 3 or 4 of theirs that I've tried I'd buy all again in a heartbeat. "Dream Like Sequence" has a wonderful dankness to it with the lactose just giving a hint of softness - cheers

PBC DLS

PBC DLS
    Been a while since I’ve had any of theirs, lots of positive reviews of late. Sounds very nice and “Other Half-y” so might give this a whirl if I can find one.

Master

Nice, how was the Wylam / Deya collab one?

Master
    It's a pleasant change to see beer from a can that's clear and sparkling Alan. Most seem to be cloudy/opaque and quite unattractive.
    Have you tried any of the cloudy (New England IPA) styles at all? You may be pleasantly surprised. Wylam Jakehead for instance from your neck of the woods is a very good beer.

Master
    In Italy this week and trying to stick to Italian beers only.

This was OK, hoppy and quite bitter, not bad.

This was dreadful, unsurprising given Heineken owns them...

And this from CRAK was exceptional...

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Nice, how was the Wylam / Deya collab one?
    Quite smooth, almost like a light bodied stout. So nice I had a pint as well! :-)

Have you tried any of the cloudy (New England IPA) styles at all? You may be pleasantly surprised. Wylam Jakehead for instance from your neck of the woods is a very good beer.
    It's the cloudiness I find unappealing. No doubt these beers taste fine, but I like a nice clear, sparkling look to lighter beers.
    F.T.F.A.

Just heard the ineffably sad news that Mark Hird, the man behind the Sonnet43 brewery that makes the Raven stout, has passed away at only 47 after a long battle with cancer. He was very successful locally in the food and drink industries. RIP Mark, I'll raise a glass of Raven to you tomorrow.

F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    The beers in my last post were from the Bridge Hotel in Newcastle Alan. A short 200m walk south over the High Level bridge puts you in Gateshead in the Central, where a typical board looks like this . .

. . . happy days!
    Haven't seen prices like that for years Bob. A Lidl beer to start for me tonight, bags of flavour

Craftsman
    Just heard the ineffably sad news that Mark Hird, the man behind the Sonnet43 brewery that makes the Raven stout, has passed away at only 47 after a long battle with cancer. He was very successful locally in the food and drink industries. RIP Mark, I'll raise a glass of Raven to you tomorrow.

That is sad news, far too young.

Haven't seen prices like that for years Bob. A Lidl beer to start for me tonight, bags of flavour
    All four of the Hatherwood beers are very good IMHO Alan, brewed by Shepherd Neame. £1.19 for a 500ml bottle!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    We have a Beerwulf advent calendar - a different bottle or can of beer each day in December

Tonight’s was a Beavertown Neck Oil Session IPA, which was delicious. The beers have been varied and not run-of-the-mill so far.

Pete

The first time I poured a can of cloudy ale in front of some guys I play poker with each and every one of them thought I'd been hoodwinked into buying something iffy

I'd agree that Jakehead would make a great introduction, I've got a can on the go as I type. It'll be another Polly's Brew Co. next.

@magirus - as S Works has said, you may be pleasantly surprised They're packed with multiple layers of flavour and usually have a long finish, they're definitely an ale to savour.

Beer

Grand Master
    Another vote for the Lidl beers, the Green Gecko and Amber Adder are v. nice.

As for the trendy ‘craft beers’ that are cloudy, I found it a bit off- putting and counter- intuitive, but some if them are very pleasant.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th December 2019 at 22:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    We have a Beerwulf advent calendar - a different bottle or can of beer each day in December

Tonight’s was a Beavertown Neck Oil Session IPA, which was delicious. The beers have been varied and not run-of-the-mill so far.

Pete
    It’s a good way to try new things that you might otherwise not, keep us posted Pete

Master
    Back in Blighty and the Verdant Brewing Co beer fairy’s been again...

Whilst known best for their whomping IPA’s and DIPA’s, Verdant have been making some smashing lighter strength pale ales of late, and these two are no exception. Both smooth, juicy, stone fruits, citrus and very sessionable.

Thank you Mark.

F.T.F.A.

This is my first tonight, about as Strong as I like to go, it’ll be downhill from here.

image post

A first for me. Fuller's London Porter. It's definitely a porter, smooth with a rich chocolate taste but still a nice edge of bitterness, rather than that sickly clawing finish which some stouts have.

Recommended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    A first for me. Fuller's London Porter. It's definitely a porter, smooth with a rich chocolate taste but still a nice edge of bitterness, rather than that sickly clawing finish which some stouts have.

Recommended.

One of the best. This and Five Points Railway are two of the best Porters you can find IMHO.

F.T.F.A.

^^^^ nice to see a Porter theme developing for these long cold Winter days!

Master
    I had a good afternoon at the CAMRA East London & City “Pigs Ear” beer festival in Hackney yesterday. Managed to try 11 different ales - despite it being very limited on the last day (won’t be making that mistake again) - and also made a crawl of it with visits to Mother Kelly’s taproom, Forest Road Brewing’s taproom, The Cock Tavern (Howling Hops’ tap) and The Experiment (Pressure Drop & Verdant Brewing Co’s shared taproom).

Net net, a day of 15 new beers sampled. The best were...

“Our House” Pale, North Brew Co x Mother Kelly’s

“E8” Pale Ale, Forest Road Brewing Company

“Is Citra Way To Amarillo” Pale Ale, Leigh-On-Sea Brewing Co Ltd

Rooi Kabouter Red Ale, Three Sods Brewery

“Lost Clock” IPA, Howling Hops

“Stop The Train” IPA, Howling Hops

Craftsman
    Nice pint of Otter Ale up my old local in Ware

Blog Entries
    Kelchner Indian Pale Ale tonight. I do like an IPA. Oh yes...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    This is my first tonight, about as Strong as I like to go, it’ll be downhill from here.

image post
    8.5% !! If I drank that I'd be at the bottom of the hill pdq... (a small part of my misspent youth was occupied running a pub, kind of reminds me of the bottles of 'Barley Wine' which was ridiculously strong in both taste and alcohol content!)

Had some Raven in the Vic and thought I'd pop in the Half Moon for a Draught Bass en route to the bus, mmm..... nice . . .

F.T.F.A.

Another of my son’s recommendations , thick , sweet & chocolatey plus not too strong - very nice.

Also shared one of these

Very dark coffee vanilla flavour , a collaboration between Atom and Northern Monk , Neutron Star & Death and worth it if only for the name alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Another from the Kelchner brewery. Ampthill Gold. Rather a nice 'golden' Ale.

Master

I keep seeing this name and thinking there is a crude Spoonerism trying to get out but I can't make it work. Maybe it's a bit easier after a couple of pints.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

Recommended.

I first had a pint of this on a days loafing around a cold, wintery London. Stopped in a pub near Smithfield when it was still a market. A proper steak pie washed down with a pint of this warmed the cockles nicely.

Tapatapatapatapatalk