closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Course of Action for Maximum Sale Price

Best Course of Action for Maximum Sale Price

I have a couple of Tag Heuers which I got approx 20 years ago when I didn't know any better and thought £2k was a fine price for a quartz movement becauseTAGHEUER. I was young and foolish and for this reason I fell out with these watches and didn't even wear a watch for the last 15 years until recently when I had a baby and realised my day would be a lot easier to have the time on my wrist.

I am planning to sell these to fund my new obsession. They both have flat batteries, one of them has quite a bit of 'wear' and the other is a bit better. I have somewhere I'm going to send them off to for new batteries who will fit new seals and pressure test plus give me a receipt to prove this has been done. However, they're trying to upsell me on their polish/brush services and I have to say I'm tempted. I want to realise the best price I can, but am unsure whether investing in having them tarted up is worth it?

They're probably only going to be worth £500 each. The battery is £40 per watch. Is it worth me setting a budget of say £60 per watch for this cosmetic work?

Any advice appreciated.

Best Course of Action for Maximum Sale Price

If you’ve got 20 year old Tag Heuer Quartz watches I doubt whether you’d realise £500 each got them, probably more in the £200-£300 range.
    There’s not much point in doing any more than suggested above and asking less.

You could definitely get more detailed information if you can post photos or at least let us know which models they are!

I agree with the others,

£500 per watch for a 20 year old Tag Heuer is unlikely...

Of course pics and model numbers would be useful.

^wot they said

Spend as little on them as possible, battery change as the minimum and then off to ebay with a 99p start. Good luck!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thanks for the advice... I'll do what I can myself and get them shifted.

Cheers.

Depends where you get the work done.

Just as an example, Russel Talerman charged me £120 to refurbish the case and bracelet and fit a new bezel insert (I supplied the insert) on a Squale 20 Atmos. The watch looked brand new when he was done. Without the bezel insert you'd be looking at £100. So with new battery, seals and pressure test, plus getting the case and bracelet spanking new, it would cost about £120.

Whether this is worth the extra or not is difficult to say without knowing what TAG's they are. But they're more likely to sell quickly if they are all shiny and new.

Grand Master
    OP’s being very optimistic to say the least!

£40 each for fitting batteries and possibly a new caseback seal is a rip-off, thst’s money for old rope.However, if these watches have been left for years there’s every chance the batteries have leaked and potentially caused damage to the movements.

Without seeing them I can’t say what’s involved with refinishing. Some TAGs had beadblasted cases and they’re not easy to refinish, they need to go to someone who has a beadblasting machine to get them right. It’s unlikely anyone will refinish them to a reasonable standard for less than £6o, and at rhat price they are unlikely to be perfect.

What intrigues me is how the OP’s making disparaging comments about quartz TAGs when he’s hoping to sell them, that’s a strange selling strategy IMO.

Paul

£500 the pair likely. Good luck. Doubt they will take long to shift though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. The ability to value watches based on a brand and year here is astounding. I am very impressed.

I've taken the backs off the watches and ordered new batteries, there was no leakage - batteries were both Energizer and in-tact.

I'll give the cases and bracelets a bit of a touch up and they'll be ready to go.

Happy Christmas to all. Have a good one.

If that’s the plan make sure to let potential buyers know that they are not water resistant... the average buyer of a premium watch (eg on eBay) might otherwise have an expectation of performance in line with whatever the dial says.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I would donate them to the homeless

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I suspect the homeless would rather have food and a drink rather than a watch with a flat battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you ever get back up north bring them with you there is a good watch guy in Darwen who used to work for tag. Always found his work good and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    The ability to value watches based on a brand and year here is astounding. I am very impressed.
    That's because TagHeuer were hugely popular in the 90's and many of us had owned one or more over the years, and sold them.

The Classic 2000 series quartz dive watches were never 2k though. Mine was around £750 here, and about £450 from Singapore airport back in the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    If you ever get back up north bring them with you there is a good watch guy in Darwen who used to work for tag. Always found his work good and reasonably priced.
    My mother still lives in Darwen to this day, Lower Darwen to be precise.

After some research on recent sale prices (and of course the 'friendly' out-and-out belittling on this thread) it seemed obvious investing in the watches only to sell at this price level was a fool's errand. I've replaced the batteries, they came back to life. I'll get round to shifting them shortly... I've been saying this for about 5 years now though. I have a very long to-do list.

Master
    Best if you want to maximise price is probably Ebay.

I don't think most members here are out for top price when selling to other members...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Best if you want to maximise price is probably Ebay.

I don't think most members here are out for top price when selling to other members...
    Yeah it will be eBay for sure. I wasn't planning to sell here, which is why I didn't post photos or mention the model numbers - didn't want to come across as trying to tout when my membership is insufficient to access sales corner.

My chavvy quartz buying days are behind me. Lesson learned.