closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any tips on Seamaster bracelet removal?

Journeyman

Any tips on Seamaster bracelet removal?

A bit of a novice on this so would appreciate any help please. Having bought a superb condition omega 'great white' from here I wanted to keep the strap as pristine as I can so I also bought some straps. Just trying to remove the bracelet now but it's proving to be a pita. Ive only got a generic tool but im now wondering if it needs to be specific to omega. Any help would be massively appreciated as i really dont want to mark the watch or bracelet? Many thanks.

Persistence. You don't need a special tool.

As it happens I swapped my 'GMT 50th' - same case as the 'Great White' - from bracelet to strap earlier today and noticed that the bracelet was a bit of a pain to remove. I think it's partly because the end links are a good fit and partly because access to the spring bars isn't great.

I did it the way I take all bracelets off but it took a bit of doing. I hold the watch in my left hand and use index finger to put some pressure on the SEL towards me i.e. pushing it down off the watch, unclip one end of the spring bar and the SEL will move a little. The other end of the spring bar took a few goes but once you get it the SEL will come out.

Craftsman
    When you say generic tool, is it a spring bar tool, and is it small enough to get to the spring bar?

Might be worth investing in a bergeon spring bar tool, they do different sizes and the ends are changeable.

If you’re doing it yourself then mask everything up as it’s easy to slip. Alternatively a jeweller will do it for a few quid

Journeyman
    Thanks for the advice. The springbar tool isn't great quality and seems to be a very tight fit within the the link hole. Which makes me think it might be on a slight angle when I'm pushing down and thus not connecting with the collar correctly. Probably best not trying this with an Xmas cold. I'll bide my time and buy a bergeon me thinks. Cheers again.

I have always had more luck with a small screwdriver than with springbar tools

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I have always had more luck with a small screwdriver than with springbar tools
    Tried one of those as well, without any success unfortunately. As its been mentioned there's very little room to get under the collar which has made it difficult. I'll order a bergeon tool to see if this helps and change the selection of my Xmas day watch. Thank you for the help.

Master
    Exactly what Coldplay says, you need to be quite forceful to get the one side of the pin out and then maintain pressure to ensure it doesn't slip back in while you're releasing the other end.
    Don't be afraid to use some (reasonable) force.
    Small screwdriver works just as well.

Journeyman
    Not got the patience at the minute. I'll give it another try tomorrow once the nightnurse/daynurse has kicked in! Ill try the screwdriver again before the bergeon turns up. Thanks

Grand Master
    Do yourself a favour and work with a magnifier. Being able to see exactly what you're doping helps a lot.

Unless you're skilled with a small old screwdriver you're better using the Bergeon tool described. They're easy to get off when you know how, the trick is to get one side of the spring bar out and resting adjacent to the hole so it can`t pop back in, then work on the other side.

Paul

Journeyman
    Cheers for the advice Paul. Eyesight is pretty good but I'll use a magnifier anyway.

Master
    Providing the springbars are the OEM items that were supplied with the bracelet, one of those pliers that compress both ends at the same time, make removing the bracelet quite straightforward. AFAIK the original Omega springbars, for bracelet Seamasters, Speedys etc, are either slightly shorter than a standard 20mm springbar or at least compress further than a standard bar. As the endlinks are solid and the lugs have a tall vertical face, the bar needs to compress to less than 20mm overall to allow the endlink/springbar combination to slide straight in/out, without engaging each end separately, as you would with a strap or hollow endlink. Consequently the OEM springbars, from a bracelet, should not used with a strap, as they are intended for use only within the rigid confines of a solid endlink and are not sufficiently secure for a strap. If a previous owner has managed to persuade a standard springbar into place with a bracelet it can be a complete pain to remove it again.

Master
    I use these ...

https://boley.de/en/shop/7772.bergeo...g-bar-tweezers

Very well designed and very easy to use.

Journeyman
    +1 for the Bergeon tools.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I use these ...

https://boley.de/en/shop/7772.bergeo...g-bar-tweezers

Very well designed and very easy to use.
    They blinking should be for the ~£120 they charge for them. I make do with a Bergeron 6767f which seems to work pretty well using the techniques mentioned above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    They blinking should be for the ~£120 they charge for them. I make do with a Bergeron 6767f which seems to work pretty well using the techniques mentioned above.
    True they are expensive but how often do you change straps so how much use will you get from them. Also, with being so easy to use it makes damaging the case less likely.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Welcome to the world of Swiss watchtools.......I could easily send thousands on tools!

Prices are eye-watering, there’s some superb items available but there’s no way I could justify the spending.

Some of the Bergeon tools aren’t brilliant quality either, at the orices they charge they should all be top-notch.

Paul