closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Oyster Perpetual – 34mm – 114200. How does it wear?

Rolex Oyster Perpetual – 34mm – 114200. How does it wear?

Does anyone have experience of the latest Rolex 34mm watches on the wrist? I have been wearing more and more smaller watches recently, mainly vintage and they feel better on my wrist than larger diameter watches (probably looks more in proportion too). Also helps my wrists as they have had nerve damage in them over time, so the lighter weight also is in favour with me…

I do feel the classic design of the Oyster Perpetual actually fits the smaller 34-36mm size anyway much better than the fashionable enlarging of size. There is to much empty dial otherwise, and not keen of the mixture of indices.

Rather drawn to the olive dial. Any experiences to share?

A few examples of why I think the smaller 36-34mm watches suit me well.

Master
    It has the fatter lugs of a modern Rolex. It will wear larger than those slim vintage watches you own.

How large is your wrist? It looked rather small (as mine is).

Craftsman
    I tried that exercise about 6 months ago and found that 2mm in diameter can make a big difference.
    When on holiday I tried a 34mm blue dialled OP and could get away with it,as I have skinny wrists,but also tried a 39mm and that was clearly too large for me.
    The AD didn't have the 36mm in stock but ordered it for me and sent it to me on approval so I chose that one.
    Dial colour can make a big difference to the wearer too.
    Try them on and make your choice but you may have to travel to see the colour you want in the various case sizes.
    Good luck with your hunt and have a happy Christmas.

Grand Master
    I have several 34mm vintage Omegas and they tend to wear bigger because the bezels are slim and the dials are relatively wide. 34mm Rolex models have a wider bezel and smaller dial so subjectve
    they wear a bit smaller. However, the thick lugs give them a bit more presence.

I think the 36mm Rolex Oyster is the ideal size, but I’ve worn an older 34mm Air King and been happy with it. Strongly advise the OP to try both sizes, that’s the best way to decide.

Paul

Craftsman
    34mm is for girls. Or if you live in the 50s.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    The size debate always polarises opinions. If you’ve got slim wrists there’s no point wearing a watch that’s too big even though that seems to be fashionable thesedays. A watch shouldn’t dominate the wrist in my opinion.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Why don't you simply try one on for size??

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    This.

Just try it on

Journeyman

Marvellous choice, really like the new models. I bought a Rolex Perpetual 15200 about ten years ago and on my average size wrists this 34mm is fine. The trend is (thankfully) away from over size watches and to more conservative sizing - better comfort and fit too.
    Last edited by slever; 23rd December 2017 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The size debate always polarises opinions. If you’ve got slim wrists there’s no point wearing a watch that’s too big even though that seems to be fashionable thesedays. A watch shouldn’t dominate the wrist in my opinion.

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I always value your opinion as we tend to have the same views on style and preferences. Totally agree and probably should of jumped on that 36mm OP that was on SC a few weeks back!

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Why don't you simply try one on for size??

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    This.

Just try it on
    I will do gents... just wondered if anyone had opinions in the 'mullingover' phase.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Ahhhh, more stylish watch decades than the lumps of metal we have today.....

Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    Marvellous choice, really like the new models. I bought a Rolex Perpetual 15200 about ten years ago and on my average size wrists this 34mm is fine. The trend is (thankfully) away from over size watches and to more conservative sizing - better comfort and fit too.
    Could not agree more. Any pics out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It has the fatter lugs of a modern Rolex. It will wear larger than those slim vintage watches you own.

How large is your wrist? It looked rather small (as mine is).
    Use to be 6.75" but probably closer to 6.5" now I'd guess... so say a Tudor Blackbay looks crazy on me!

Seriously if you got nothing better to add then it's best to stay stum. No need.

OP. Try them on and go with the most comfortable and best for you. Fashion comes and goes class is permanent. Though some seem to lack all class nowadays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Could not agree more. Any pics out of interest?

Use to be 6.75" but probably closer to 6.5" now I'd guess... so say a Tudor Blackbay looks crazy on me!
    Same as my wrists. Mine has been faultless for the ten years I’ve had it. Probably the perfect watch if you have one watch and brilliant if you have several. Still proud to wear it and it holds it’s own against the AP Royal Oak and JLC Reverso I have and definitely better than the Breitling and Omegas I have too.

You can’t go wrong really with a Perpetual. Green dial is gorgeous.

I have just a non wrist shot:

My brother has a modern Milgauss which I really like too - a proper Engineers’ watch - although they are quite heavy.
    Last edited by slever; 23rd December 2017 at 01:34.

Journeyman
    Thanks Paul, I always value your opinion as we tend to have the same views on style and preferences. Totally agree and probably should of jumped on that 36mm OP that was on SC a few weeks back!

I will do gents... just wondered if anyone had opinions in the 'mullingover' phase.

Ahhhh, more stylish watch decades than the lumps of metal we have today.....
    Nowt wrong with the 1950s - or girls.

Master

Or if you're not fat.

Master
    Pretty similar to me. Mine's easily under 6.5". My 38mm IWC Mark XV is pretty large on me.

Master
    All those watches you have posted up look a perfect fit so I think you are right. Perfect for you. I have bigger wrists but from general experience a vintage Movado moonphase looked tiny on me but the 34mm Rolex and Tudors due to the heavy lugs looked better and the 36mm was very wearable . I tend to wear a 42mm Speedmaster to give a comparison.
    If you have nerve damage then the last thing you want to do is turn a pleasure of wearing a Watch into a pain.

How is that helpful?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    How is that helpful?

It is helpful, because this is my opinion. The OP is asking what we think of a 34mm Rolex and I am responding. My personal opinion is that 34mm is way too small and looks ridiculous on a man's wrist especially for a watch with steel bracelet. Feel free to disagree, but when someone asks a question, he should be ready to get different opinions.

A dress watch can be 36mm, although on me it looks small because I am bigger than average. On my colleague it looks fine.

Now I agree that some of the large 44mm+ look ridiculous on skinny dudes as well.

Another slim wrist here, so will follow this thread with interest! The olive dial in the first post is stunning...

In addition the 2mm difference in case diameter, is there a difference in lug width between the 34mm and 36mm versions? That makes a significant impact, too.

My wrist is about the same size as yours, and when I got my Datejust I looked at the 34 Date too. On my wrist I couldn't tell the difference in size, and both fitted nicely.

The current 36mm Oyster 'super case' Rolex are the perfect size for most wrists in my opinion. I have 7 1/4 inch wrists which I believe are slightly above average size in the UK and whenever I try on a 116234 I simply cannot imagine how anyone can consider them to be too small.

I tried an older 34mm Oyster Date a while ago and, whilst the case seemed ok, it was the bracelet that really turned me off the size. The clasp seemed to taper down to a size that looked dainty and feminine to me. I haven't tried one of the modern 34mm Rolex watches but if this video is anything to go by, maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUXzvAGzkSs

I have the 34mm 15200 as a daily wearer, I love it. I was originally looking at the 34mm Air King but wanted a date function.

Rolex 15200 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr
    Last edited by hoopsontoast; 23rd December 2017 at 16:56.

I never really followed up on this thread... I eventually got around to trying the 34mm on, alongside a few 36mm versions. They almost wore identical oddly, you'd be hard to tell a difference other than dial colour and design. Seriously thinking this could be the next step, but, I have seen the white dial in 36mm that looked lovely. Could be perfect in 34 too!

Master
    They almost wore identical oddly, you'd be hard to tell a difference other than dial colour and design.
    You're right about this in my experience. I'd say if you can get a dial you like in 36mm go for that because it will probably have a bit better residuals, otherwise a 34mm isn't too small on most people and residual differences are hardly likely to bankrupt you.

It is helpful, because this is my opinion. The OP is asking what we think of a 34mm Rolex and I am responding. My personal opinion is that 34mm is way too small and looks ridiculous on a man's wrist especially for a watch with steel bracelet. Feel free to disagree, but when someone asks a question, he should be ready to get different opinions.

A dress watch can be 36mm, although on me it looks small because I am bigger than average. On my colleague it looks fine.

Now I agree that some of the large 44mm+ look ridiculous on skinny dudes as well.

See, what youve done there is assume that your opinion is useful - and factual...

...third time lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Or if you're not fat.
    Quite.

To say a watch is "too small for a man" is like saying "a piece of string would be too short".

Its all relative. Dont wear something too big or too small for your individual wrist.

Edit:- its like buying clothes - if youre small you buy size s clothes - if you want a bit of room, a m will be ok. But xxl would look daft.
    If youre size xxl, you might get away with an xl, but a s would look ridiculous.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 29th June 2018 at 16:36.

I think the 36mm OP is the nicest looking watch in the current Rolex line up.

Its the classic sized everyday watch for an average wrist, if you have a smaller than average wrist then a 34mm should be fine.

The trend for large watches will soon be a thing of the past!

Obviously subjective but that is my opinion.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th June 2018 at 17:15.

Grand Master
    I wear plenty of 34mm vintage Omegas and I`m fine with the size, probably because the dials tend to be large and the bezels slim. However, several years ago I had a Rolex Air King (34mm) on the original Oyster bracelet and I've found I prefer the 36mm Rolex models. I now own a 36mm Explorer 1 and a couple of 36mm Datejusts and, rightly or wrongly, I`m now drawn to the 36mm models and I probably wouldn't buy the smaller size.

Remember, there's only one opinion that matters and that's yours.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 29th June 2018 at 18:06.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Another slim wrist here, so will follow this thread with interest! The olive dial in the first post is stunning...

In addition the 2mm difference in case diameter, is there a difference in lug width between the 34mm and 36mm versions? That makes a significant impact, too.
    114200: Width: 34 mm / Height: 42 mm / Thickness: 12 mm / Lug Width: 19 mm.
    116000: Width: 36 mm / Height: 43 mm / Thickness: 12 mm / Lug Width: 20 mm.

I have tried both, OP34 and OP36 today and can definitely tell the difference between the two. I believe it's not just the case, but also the bracelet that makes OP34 look smaller than the 36.

After trying 34, 36, and 39, personally, I would go for the OP36. However, 34 does not feel small or feminine and wears similar to Tudor Black Bay 36.
    Last edited by aleo; 19th July 2018 at 22:51.