closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's a Tag, but.....

It's a Tag, but.....

Ok so I know Tag get a mixed reputation on here. I've just been offered a Tag Tourbillon at half price BNIB. I've always wanted to try a Tourbillon but haven't had the resources to spend tens of thousands. I can get this for half price which is just over £7k, however as a notorious flipper I would almost certainly flip it after having satisfied the itch. So do you feel even at half price I would still get hammered on resale?

Specific model is this;

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01095...ograph-Watch/p

That is a monstrosity.

Craftsman
    I’d give it a go Ryan. If you want to try a tourbillon, your options are either a cheap Chinese copy, a £20k plus watch, or this.

I completely disagree with Ally. That looks ace and a tourbillon for £7k is incredible. Feel free to PM me when you want to flip it!

Craftsman
    looks like the cheapest tourbillon ever existed.

I like it. For that price, difficult to see you losing out when moving it on.

At £7k I don’t think you’d lose much if you decided to flip it.

As for the Watch, I quite like the design but I’d have difficulty reading the time and it’s way too large for me.

Definitely a tempter

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just checked at some photos of the actual watch and that ain't half bad.
    There are some good reviews on it as well.

I like the look of it too; other photo's make it look a lot better than the stock one in your link.

If you can get it for half price, then why not?

Master
    Doesn’t look bad to me. However, my issue is that the tourbillon display is kind of lost with everything else that is going on there. For me, the mechanism should be clearly visible as that’s the whole point of exposing it. The rest of the dial needs to be simple enough to give tourbillon the focus it deserves. Just my opinion of course.

No idea about resale though.
    Last edited by FK77; 23rd December 2017 at 11:47.

Master
    See below It’s the 2T version but pictures and points in there about how they make it so cheap when other Tourbillon’s cost twice and 10 times more.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tag-h...000-chf-price/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think it looks like any other tag watch and you could therefore get stung on resale. I would also like to try a tourbillon, but not that one. They seem to go better with a more elegant design, which that is not.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Why the hell not?!!

Can’t imagine you losing much TBH? Might be worth an email to WF to get a guide price!

Well it's no beauty but I've seen much worse. Reminds me a little of a Hublot?

But by your own admission if you are
    considering flipping it is it really worth the effort and risk?

But hey, at least it's not a boring Rolex sports watch. Any idiot can buy one of those ......I should know.

So if you can take the hit then why not , at least you are doing something different and adding to your horological journey.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I really like this watch and that is a great price.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Looks nice if you ask me, I'd go for it.

I looked into one of these, be it not at that level of discount, Grey prices sat around 9k used and 10-11k new (at the time haven’t researched it lately)

Given that I would expect WF and likes to be offering around your buy in price so nothing really to loose giving it a try, I did find it felt a big watch.

My other concern was based on it being a modular design there isn’t much design change over the standard 01

Just not for me. There is nothing in the overall design that appeals anymore than the standard model. When you can track down Tourbys from some very well respected makers and some from the same group even (Zenith etc.) at around 60-70% off that would be my first call before the Tag.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ok so I know Tag get a mixed reputation on here. I've just been offered a Tag Tourbillon at half price BNIB. I've always wanted to try a Tourbillon but haven't had the resources to spend tens of thousands. I can get this for half price which is just over £7k, however as a notorious flipper I would almost certainly flip it after having satisfied the itch. So do you feel even at half price I would still get hammered on resale?

Specific model is this;

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/01095...ograph-Watch/p
    Personally i would mate, I nearly bought one new at around £9.5k but similar to you I knew I would shift it on at some point and thought I would lose a couple of grand and I try and limit my horrendous losses on watches.

At £7k I don't think you would lose, at worst very little.

They wear well for the large size, I ended up buying the ceramic 01 version and got spanked when I flipped it.

James

Master
    I agree this looks nice. On first glance at the page I thought it was awful, but finding some wrist shots via google images it looks really decent. Still a lot of money for a watch, but a great way to try a tourbillon, and if you like the look it's all good.

Master
    Don’t think I’ve seen a tourbillion yet that looks pretty but I’d still buy it as it’s half price

That’s not at all what I was expecting Ryan and I really rather like it. You’re not likely to lose money on it at that price so why not give it a whirl!

Master
    Its a no from me. Think you'll lose a packet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Yes I would have to agree, Tourbillon or not. I would hold off and keep looking in order to scratch that itch.

Master
    I would go for it:) i feel LVMH are on a roll!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, there are reasons why it is cheap and those will remain even after a massive discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I’d give it a go Ryan. If you want to try a tourbillon, your options are either a cheap Chinese copy, a £20k plus watch, or this.
    Yeah. This watch splits the difference by offering a cheap Chinese tourbillion mod on a Swiss watch.

Saw it in the metal today. It's nice but nowhere near as well finished as a Hublot Big Bang (which I can get at a similar price). In fact it's not even as well finished as Rolex or Omega and so even at £7k it's not for me. I'd get a Big Bang all day long over this

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Saw it in the metal today. It's nice but nowhere near as well finished as a Hublot Big Bang (which I can get at a similar price). In fact it's not even as well finished as Rolex or Omega and so even at £7k it's not for me. I'd get a Big Bang all day long over this
    Yeah i got a Big bang myself earlier....feel guilty but it’s exceeded my expectations haha which were albeit somewhat low. Of course with discount and VAT refund is the only way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Yeah. This watch splits the difference by offering a cheap Chinese tourbillion mod on a Swiss watch.
    Wow, I didn’t realise Tag used Chinese movements; Everyday is a school day!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    Wow, I didn’t realise Tag used Chinese movements; Everyday is a school day!
    Not the actual movement. There are a number of Chinese sources for the modules. Most cheap ones, even purportedly "Swiss" ones, are a slap on Chinese job.

Does anyone really think that TAG DESIGNED AND BUILT a ground up tourbillon and then stuck it in a mid priced watch?

Craftsman
    Not the actual movement. There are a number of Chinese sources for the modules. Most cheap ones, even purportedly "Swiss" ones, are a slap on Chinese job.

Does anyone really think that TAG DESIGNED AND BUILT a ground up tourbillon and then stuck it in a mid priced watch?
    By design, do you mean copy Breguet’s design? Or come up with something new like Daniels did with the “co-axial” escapement?

JC Biver says differnt - "I’m ready to show numbers, prices, but then it will hurt the whole industry when you start to show prices! The industry has no other way to fight and find excuses than saying some parts are made in China, which is totally stupid. Nothing is made in China on the movement, of course not. The movement is 100 percent made in our own company. It’s just that we have an organisation, people, an internal productivity that enables us with a normal margin — the usual margins we take on the Formula 1 or the margins we take on the Carrera, the same margins are applied to the cost of the Tourbillon. And the result, if we do the multiplications, we end up at 14,900 Swiss Francs retail.”

https://www.calibre11.com/jean-claud...-at-tag-heuer/
    Last edited by MB2; 23rd December 2017 at 23:42.

I honestly thought (and still suspect) that they only made watches like this so that they can say their (massive) connected watches are in real high RRP cases

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    JC Biver says differnt - "I’m ready to show numbers, prices, but then it will hurt the whole industry when you start to show prices! The industry has no other way to fight and find excuses than saying some parts are made in China, which is totally stupid. Nothing is made in China on the movement, of course not. The movement is 100 percent made in our own company. It’s just that we have an organisation, people, an internal productivity that enables us with a normal margin — the usual margins we take on the Formula 1 or the margins we take on the Carrera, the same margins are applied to the cost of the Tourbillon. And the result, if we do the multiplications, we end up at 14,900 Swiss Francs retail.”

https://www.calibre11.com/jean-claud...-at-tag-heuer/
    Tag can't even put together a chronograph movement without relabeling a seiko design. This industry is driven by BS and it's clear that some buyers suck it down and ask for more.

Journeyman

It's a Tag, but.....

There’s a reason it’s half price (and still for sale). Like all Tag Heuer’s it’s overpriced over marketed crap. Naff too.

You’d get a nice JLC for that sort of money.

Well at least Ryan came to his senses and did not purchase. It was a big no from me and even at £7k I think he would have lost money on resale.

Master
    Tag can't even put together a chronograph movement without relabeling a seiko design. This industry is driven by BS and it's clear that some buyers suck it down and ask for more.
    They have their own chronograph movement now. The tourbillion is not made in china what Biver is saying is that in fact a touribillion is not THAT expensive or complicated to make as other brands make it seem. And if you wanna tsk China then take a look at the Swarch group and Omega for example....People love the speed master here but never associate it with China even though many parts particularly from the bracelet is from
    there.

Not trying to defend Tag heuer or anything but just reminding that times do move on and LVMH has improved significantly ever since biver took it over mainly the integration between the manufactures. A lot of Hublot movements namely the Unico is made from Zenith and and likewise the straps that zenith uses have Hublot design and IP.

Tag Heuer make the most advanced mechanical chronographs on the planet. No other manufacturer makes watches with 1/100th second or 1/500th second mechanical chronographs. Granted, they are modules but they run at 50hz and 250hz where the watch itself is running at a more normal 4hz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Tag Heuer make the most advanced mechanical chronographs on the planet. No other manufacturer makes watches with 1/100th second or 1/500th second mechanical chronographs. Granted, they are modules but they run at 50hz and 250hz where the watch itself is running at a more normal 4hz.
    They are the same group as Zenith and Zenith makes one.

Don’t think it looks too bad but it’s half price for a reason,probably nobody wants one and no one will want one at 3.5k either

Craftsman
    if they are discounting it for 50% it's because nobody is buying them. Will definitely get burnt selling it on (if you even manage to!)

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    They are the same group as Zenith and Zenith makes one.

I missed that one, do you have a link?

Presumably it’s using the same in house module though?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I missed that one, do you have a link?

Presumably it’s using the same in house module though?
    Check the defy out: http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/03/hand...ronograph.html

Presumeably with LVMH i feel the brands don’t “really matter” in the sense that the watches all share many similar parts for cost savings etc. At the end of the for sure it matters on the “branding” front but watch wise i don’t think they are tooooo far in quality.

Thanks for the link, it’s hard to believe that the Zenith is half the price of the Tag though.

It makes it a very tempting proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Agreed
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57