closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s the point of an Amazon Echo?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Sonos integration is for Amazon Music and Spotify only. It will not work with your own music library. You can ask to play music on a particular Sonos:

Alexa, play heavy metal on Living Room

It will then play from the default music service selected in the Alexa app. You cannot create a group of rooms using Alexa. If you use the Sonos app to start music, you can then control it using the Echo.
    You can play your own music ( on the device) through Alexa via Bluetooth.

Master
    I have three Echo Dots around the house now - my main use for them has been as voice-controlled Internet radios, which I find very handy, especially in the kitchen. The one on my desk in front of me now is hooked up to a desktop amp and decent Paradigm bookshelf speakers - sounds great. I also use it for (eg) Alexa, what's the weather tomorrow? Alexa, what's the news? Alexa, set a timer for 5 minutes. Alexa, play British Sea Power.

In one sense a Google Home would be preferable in that I could use it to play back my Google Music stash (1200+ albums). But it's not as easy to hook them up to speakers or an amp.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Its basically a speaker which has a deep field microphone built in which is activated when you say "Alexa"
    You can change the word to a few other pre set ones but can't remember what they are.
    In it's basic form you ask it questions like , what's the weather like tomorrow, what's on at the local cinema etc etc. You can also apply skills to its memory which connect and allow intergration with other devices. So I have mine paired with my Sonos system, pairing is quite simple assuming you have an amazon account and you can remember your Sonos account info. To play music you just say "Alexa play xmas music in the Lounge" of course it relies on you naming the Sonos devices correctly.
    In a nutshell you enable the skill in settings and it takes you through the set up process,its really quite simply even for a numpty like me.
    Eventually there's going to be loads of applications.
    You also have the drop in feature which allows you to voice call people in your contacts free of charge.
    Shouldnt cost you anything assuming you don't have lists of shopping set up with amazon and you order them without knowing
    I have a echo dot and it is placed next to my sonos but I can get it to work together. I have activated the sonos skill in the app. I am assuming you have the echo wired to the sonos?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    I have a echo dot and it is placed next to my sonos but I can get it to work together. I have activated the sonos skill in the app. I am assuming you have the echo wired to the sonos?

No nothing is hard wired.

assuming yours is the one without Alexa built in?

if so you need to make sure that you've downloaded the latest update to the Sonos system via the update page on settings. If you've enabled the skill from the Alexa app you follow the instructions to pair from there. You need your Sonos log in details from there it's quite straightforward to folow

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post

Say "Alexa, discover devices". It should then find the Sonos which will be listed in the Alexa app under Settings > Devices.

Master
    Why all the paranoia? What are you people up to/discussing at home that you are so worried might get discovered?

I also don't get why folk are so worried about targeted advertising. We've all had a big glow up box force feeding us irrelevant and often irritating advertising in our homes for decades. You are still free to choose not to purchase.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

What’s the point of an Amazon Echo?

I have a close relative with MS who is consigned to a wheelchair. I think it is fair to say that the Echo has pretty much revolutionised their life. Handling a remote of any kind was a real challenge, and turning the lights on or off required a carer, but the voice control provided by the Echo has changed all of that. As more capabilities are added it provides increasing independence.

Connect to your talking safe.

Journeyman
    Really interested in this thread as I've just bought my parents one for Christmas. Has anyone got tips for using this with home automation? And what other equipment would be considered essential to work with it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    Really interested in this thread as I've just bought my parents one for Christmas. Has anyone got tips for using this with home automation? And what other equipment would be considered essential to work with it?
    I got one for my elderly parents last Christmas. They use it mainly as a radio or to ask for weather and news reports etc. I got them a Harmony remote and hub at the same time so they can also use it to control the TV, Freeview box etc. It will work with many home automation devices such as Philips Hue Lighting or Samsung Smartthings but unless you have the Echo Plus you’ll need the hue or smartthings hub as well as the devices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I got one for my elderly parents last Christmas. They use it mainly as a radio or to ask for weather and news reports etc. I got them a Harmony remote and hub at the same time so they can also use it to control the TV, Freeview box etc. It will work with many home automation devices such as Philips Hue Lighting or Samsung Smartthings but unless you have the Echo Plus you’ll need the hue or smartthings hub as well as the devices.
    Works well (now) with Hive gear, thermostat, lighting, sockets etc.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Is it only the Echo plus that has a built in hub or does the Echo show have it too?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roth1 View Post
    Is it only the Echo plus that has a built in hub or does the Echo show have it too?
    Just the Plus.