closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 205

Thread: New skydweller?

  1. #151
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    486
    According to Wempe in London there is a version with rhodium/silver dial

    Little OT, but never been fan of this store, they have no clue and not really welcoming. They can't order you a strap if you don't have the watch there with you, even if you know the size...

  2. #152
    Here are a couple of photos that I took today of mine.


    I love the way that the colour of the dial changes, depending on the light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #153
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Here are a couple of photos that I took today of mine.


    I love the way that the colour of the dial changes, depending on the light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stunning watch Tony - not many black dials out there from what Iíve seen. More whites and and even blues maybe.

  4. #154
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,725
    Blog Entries
    5
    Definately more black and whites out, blue is by far rarest and hardest to get. The black is very nice

  5. #155

  6. #156
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Well this threads kind of gone full circle for me. Started it off after off after trying on a blue dial at a Rolex event. Missed the boat I think as by the time I wanted one they had become quite sought after. The blue then had a supply issue due to the colour for a while and I got offered a white dial so took it as I really liked that option as well. I asked for the blue as and when they had one. As time went by I’d accepted it was unlikely and moved on.

    Blue though has always been my favourite colour and a few months ago picked up a VC overseas blue dial which is fantastic. Then negotiated a fantastic deal on a Blancpain titanium blue dial which would have been it for me. Paid the deposit and a 3 week wait. After 5 weeks I hadn’t heard so chased and was told there was a supply issue due to covid so they refunded my deposit. I think fate played its part there as I hadn’t given it a second thought after that. A couple of weeks ago I sent a quick email asking if any of the watches I’d asked about were likely.

    I very unexpectedly received a call a couple of days ago and on my way back from holiday earlier I picked up this:



    Extremely pleased, it’s quite stunning.

    P.S. no apology for the crap photo - at least I’m consistent.
    Last edited by Devonian; 28th August 2020 at 17:31.

  7. #157
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,012
    Blog Entries
    20
    That really does look very 'sparkly'. Very nice indeed. It almost looks 2-tone? Is the bezel white gold, sorry I'm not clued up on this YM? Great story.

    Off Topic - we were holidaying North of Bude in N. Devon a few weeks ago. Beautiful part of the country. Martyn

  8. #158
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    179
    For those that have the skydweller, do you find your crown doesn't sit flush against the case once screwed down?

    I am finding on mine you can see a part of threading showing and a small gap between the crown and case, even though the crown cannot screw down further.

    Looking at pictures of the watch from various owners it does look like they too have a small gap, but anyone familiar with why this happens on this model?

    Sorry i am trying to upload a picture for the above point, but seem to be struggling at present.

  9. #159
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    For those that have the skydweller, do you find your crown doesn't sit flush against the case once screwed down?

    I am finding on mine you can see a part of threading showing and a small gap between the crown and case, even though the crown cannot screw down further.

    Looking at pictures of the watch from various owners it does look like they too have a small gap, but anyone familiar with why this happens on this model?

    Sorry i am trying to upload a picture for the above point, but seem to be struggling at present.
    Finally managed to upload. Please see the image below showing what i am referring to.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  10. #160
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That really does look very 'sparkly'. Very nice indeed. It almost looks 2-tone? Is the bezel white gold, sorry I'm not clued up on this YM? Great story.

    Off Topic - we were holidaying North of Bude in N. Devon a few weeks ago. Beautiful part of the country. Martyn
    Yes thereís white gold with the steel on this model - more my poor picture though Martyn I think as it doesnít look two tone in the flesh. Having the white I knew what to expect and being a fan of blue, Iím over the moon.

    You wouldnít have been that far from me - Iím just south of Bideford in a village called Abbotsham. Yes itís beautiful here, very lucky to live in this area.

    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    Finally managed to upload. Please see the image below showing what i am referring to.

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Iíve just checked mine and you are correct, itís not totally flush. Looks more like it from underneath on mine though.

  11. #161
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,012
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    You wouldnít have been that far from me - Iím just south of Bideford in a village called Abbotsham. Yes itís beautiful here, very lucky to live in this area.
    We were staying just outside Woolfardisworthy. Wonderful name!!

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Well this threads kind of gone full circle for me. Started it off after off after trying on a blue dial at a Rolex event. Missed the boat I think as by the time I wanted one they had become quite sought after. The blue then had a supply issue due to the colour for a while and I got offered a white dial so took it as I really liked that option as well. I asked for the blue as and when they had one. As time went by Iíd accepted it was unlikely and moved on.

    Blue though has always been my favourite colour and a few months ago picked up a VC overseas blue dial which is fantastic. Then negotiated a fantastic deal on a Blancpain titanium blue dial which would have been it for me. Paid the deposit and a 3 week wait. After 5 weeks I hadnít heard so chased and was told there was a supply issue due to covid so they refunded my deposit. I think fate played its part there as I hadnít given it a second thought after that. A couple of weeks ago I sent a quick email asking if any of the watches Iíd asked about were likely.

    I very unexpectedly received a call a couple of days ago and on my way back from holiday earlier I picked up this:



    Extremely pleased, itís quite stunning.

    P.S. no apology for the crap photo - at least Iím consistent.
    The SkyDweller shows Rolex can still be 'Rolex' and do innovative things. A shame we haven't seen anything as interesting from Rolex in the last few years. Fingers crossed. Enjoy the watch!

  13. #163
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    We were staying just outside Woolfardisworthy. Wonderful name!!
    Close to the village my wife grew up in (Clovelly). Not sure itís actually true but ĎWolseryí as itís known is supposed to be the longest name of a place in England :-)

  14. #164
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Not sure itís actually true but ĎWolseryí as itís known is supposed to be the longest name of a place in England :-)
    Alas Woolfardisworthy loses out to Cottonshopeburnfoot in Northumberland, and indeed its near-neighbour Blakehopeburnhaugh. (If one allows hyphens, Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe in Yorkshire tops the lot.)

  15. #165
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,848
    Iím a bit late to the party but I picked my Skydweller up yesterday. Iím very impressed with the way it all works but am I alone in thinking that the bracelet is a bit of a let-down? It just doesnít feel as substantial as the sports model bracelets and when I shake my wrist it, dare I say it, squeaks/rattles!

  16. #166
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,276
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    when I shake my wrist it, dare I say it, squeaks/rattles!
    I don't have that model but on two sports Rolex I've had there was squeaking from the bracelet/endlinks on movement. Googled it as I was too embarrassed to ask the AD and the suggestions were it for a few days and keep it on in the shower. Within a week sure enough the squeaks went and haven't been back.

  17. #167
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/Edinburgh
    Posts
    609
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Iím a bit late to the party but I picked my Skydweller up yesterday. Iím very impressed with the way it all works but am I alone in thinking that the bracelet is a bit of a let-down? It just doesnít feel as substantial as the sports model bracelets and when I shake my wrist it, dare I say it, squeaks/rattles!
    Indeed bracelet squeak is common in all new Rolex I have had. I find the bracelet fine and not sure how itís insubstantial compared to the sports ones ?

  18. #168
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    As above the squeak will go.

    Only bit of the bracelet Iíd change is Iíd prefer a clasp like on the others for a bit more piece of mind I guess.

  19. #169
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,848
    Thanks for the replies Gents.

    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't have that model but on two sports Rolex I've had there was squeaking from the bracelet/endlinks on movement. Googled it as I was too embarrassed to ask the AD and the suggestions were it for a few days and keep it on in the shower. Within a week sure enough the squeaks went and haven't been back.
    Wouldnt normally wear a watch in the shower, but if it tried and tested, Iíll give it a go.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post
    Indeed bracelet squeak is common in all new Rolex I have had. I find the bracelet fine and not sure how itís insubstantial compared to the sports ones ?
    It just feels a bit Ďtinnyí, probably the noise itís making isnít helping, and the clasp is not as good as the sports model versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As above the squeak will go.

    Only bit of the bracelet Iíd change is Iíd prefer a clasp like on the others for a bit more piece of mind I guess.
    Absolutely.

  20. #170
    I solved the squeek by lightly rubbing the bracelet with a couple of drops of oil for sewing machines.. something I found on rolexforums IIRC years ago..

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Iím a bit late to the party but I picked my Skydweller up yesterday. Iím very impressed with the way it all works but am I alone in thinking that the bracelet is a bit of a let-down? It just doesnít feel as substantial as the sports model bracelets and when I shake my wrist it, dare I say it, squeaks/rattles!
    My two tone Skydweller bracelet exhibits the squeaking but no rattle. Bit disappointing for a £14k watch. I did a bit of googling about the squeaking & its pretty widespread. I've tried all the tips to make it go away but none of it works.

    I've worn it regularly for over a month, showered with it on, etc, etc, but squeaking still there. I just picked up new Air King this week, no squeaks or rattles on it.

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zen123; 12th December 2020 at 13:23.

  22. #172
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,930
    OK, I'm going to ask a stupid question probably...I've not been paying attention the Rolex game for a few years. Last time I purchased a new Rolex was about 2016 when it was still possible to see sports Rolex in the windows of ADs! I currently own a DJ41 and am thinking of selling this and consolidating the rest of the collection into one watch. I have no 'relationship' with any AD. What are the chances of (a) getting my name on the list for a skydweller and (b) actually getting one before losing interest?!

  23. #173
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,276
    Quite slim, Christian. If you don't want the blue dial you might have a chance but I would expect a very long wait. If you got one within a year that would be a huge result.

  24. #174
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,930
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Quite slim, Christian. If you don't want the blue dial you might have a chance but I would expect a very long wait. If you got one within a year that would be a huge result.
    Thanks. Suspected it might be the case...problem for me is I'm a flipper and I'll probably lose interest before reaching the top of the list!

  25. #175
    Craftsman mitch1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    wakefield
    Posts
    416
    well i have been waiting a year with a AD , for a white dial SS one, even put a wanted add here , not a chance or a sniff of one , i call to try and keep my details relevent to the AD , but its not looking good last call i made i was just told call back in six months! and i deal direct with the manager !trouble is i likley dont have another 5 years left to wait :-),i am really trying not to pay 4-5 K over retail just for what is a common watch amongst grey dealers!

  26. #176
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Out of interest have most of you guys still own the Skydweller or moved on?

    Started to like the look of a few variants and interested to know if ownerships here were short lived!!!

  27. #177
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Out of interest have most of you guys still own the Skydweller or moved on?

    Started to like the look of a few variants and interested to know if ownerships here were short lived!!!
    I love mine. Had one for 3 years now and definitely a keeper.


  28. #178
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,276
    Still waiting for the black on oyster from the AD.

    Had a WTB up here for a blue and not a single message. Must be keepers. Great looking watch.

  29. #179
    I've had my blue one since the 1st September 2017. It isn't going anywhere. It is my favourite Rolex and worn regularly.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #180
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Co.Down Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,634
    Probably my favourite Rolex, it and the Cameron would probably be my last 2 standing. I had the choice of black or white when I went to collect and opted for the white as it was always my favourite of the two. I love everything about it. The diameter, the thickness being just right, the width of the bracelet, it has a certain heft to it. And the complication, not in the same league as the haute horologie manufacturers complications, but, usable. Its perfect, for me.

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  31. #181
    Iím still a fan, have my name down but unlikely to get one anytime soon. I think the jubilee bracelet looks a bit odd given the heft of the rest of the watch but oyster looks great.

  32. #182
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Great pics.

    Also not a fan of it on Jubilee.

    Would love to see in the flesh the RG on Oysterflex

  33. #183
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Im guessing the Rose Gold versions are as impossible to get as the SS?

    Looks like grey markup more close to RRP though.





  34. #184
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Im guessing the Rose Gold versions are as impossible to get as the SS?

    Looks like grey markup more close to RRP though.




    Wow they look stunning! I wouldnít kick either out of bed :-)

  35. #185
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Im honestly thinking of cashing in my PP 5711 since I wear my Aquanaut more.

    Buy one of these Rose Golds and pocket the cash leftover lol

  36. #186
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Im honestly thinking of cashing in my PP 5711 since I wear my Aquanaut more.

    Buy one of these Rose Golds and pocket the cash leftover lol
    Personally having owned a 5711 Iíd definitely do that without a doubt. Would be a fantastic deal for you. I did try the rose gold on bracelet many years ago and what a watch. A bit too much maybe, but those ones one the strap are fantastic.

  37. #187

    Cool

    Skydweller Blue on Oyster is pretty much one of my top 3 watches in my collection and have had it 3 years or so now. But it does wears very well on the Jubilee too so itís not be sniffed at if thatís what you can get. Some misguided folks say itís ďjust a datejust on steroidsĒ but thatís really missing the whole point in my viewÖ.

    The Everose on Oysterflex (with either Slate or Chocolate dials) are just beautiful watches and ďrelativelyĒ available compared to the Steel and White Gold models with the Black, Blue or White dial.

    Waiting for my all Everose (on oyster) to come this year but toying with swapping into the oysterflex version. Maybe.

  38. #188
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Im guessing the Rose Gold versions are as impossible to get as the SS?

    Looks like grey markup more close to RRP though.




    How nice is that combo of the rose gold and colour dial classy watch !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  39. #189
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Out of interest have most of you guys still own the Skydweller or moved on?

    Started to like the look of a few variants and interested to know if ownerships here were short lived!!!
    Yes, I still have mine too. Easily my most-worn watch throughout 2021.

  40. #190
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Wow they look stunning! I wouldnít kick either out of bed :-)
    Yeah I think I like the slate / Rhodium dial which matches the Oysterflex. I think all bracelet would be far too much gold for me personally. Kind of makes it a little sporty also

  41. #191
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Personally having owned a 5711 Iíd definitely do that without a doubt. Would be a fantastic deal for you. I did try the rose gold on bracelet many years ago and what a watch. A bit too much maybe, but those ones one the strap are fantastic.
    Yes very tempting. Maybe this and also enough funds left to finally upgrade my 5167 to the 5164 which is kind of my given up on grail that ive no chance anymore from any ADs

  42. #192
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Waiting for my all Everose (on oyster) to come this year but toying with swapping into the oysterflex version. Maybe.
    Cool - good luck with the wait!

  43. #193
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,012
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I love mine. Had one for 3 years now and definitely a keeper.

    Is that a current picture? (I spot stickers still on the bracelet). - looks a great watch BTW!
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG

  44. #194
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Is that a current picture? (I spot stickers still on the bracelet). - looks a great watch BTW!
    Yes Martyn stIll my watch - got it from my Flickr account and looked the best shot I had - it was just after I bought it. Only other shot I have is this group one (a couple of those have been sold for others since). The blue sky wonít ever be going anywhere though Ö.


  45. #195
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yes Martyn stIll my watch - got it from my Flickr account and looked the best shot I had - it was just after I bought it. Only other shot I have is this group one (a couple of those have been sold for others since). The blue sky wonít ever be going anywhere though Ö.

    That was a very nice group!! Whats changed?

  46. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Cool - good luck with the wait!

    Thanks mate.

    I understand the attraction of the oysterflex option for any all gold piece (lighter weight/more adaptable) but it’s not a patch on an AP rubber or Rubber B strap so that pushes one towards the bracelet option I feel.

  47. #197
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,276
    That group shot is an instagram wet dream

  48. #198
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Thanks mate.

    I understand the attraction of the oysterflex option for any all gold piece (lighter weight/more adaptable) but itís not a patch on an AP rubber or Rubber B strap so that pushes one towards the bracelet option I feel.
    Ah ok. Never tried an Oysterflex - I see these ones use the sub style glide lock clasp which I love for quick and accurate adjustments

  49. #199
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    That was a very nice group!! Whats changed?
    VC & SD went for BLNR, sub and another AP (new 43mm offshore).

  50. #200
    Master Murdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Skydweller Blue on Oyster is pretty much one of my top 3 watches in my collection and have had it 3 years or so now. But it does wears very well on the Jubilee too so itís not be sniffed at if thatís what you can get. Some misguided folks say itís ďjust a datejust on steroidsĒ but thatís really missing the whole point in my viewÖ.

    The Everose on Oysterflex (with either Slate or Chocolate dials) are just beautiful watches and ďrelativelyĒ available compared to the Steel and White Gold models with the Black, Blue or White dial.

    Waiting for my all Everose (on oyster) to come this year but toying with swapping into the oysterflex version. Maybe.
    Lovely, Iím a huge fan of the rose gold Skydweller! Did you get an indication of how long the wait is for the rose gold on oyster?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information