closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finally Apple admit what everyone already knows

Finally Apple admit what everyone already knows

And then try to invent a story to cover it up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42438745

Absolutely. If they genuinely did it to improve the customer experience and prolong their device's usability, they would have been shouting it from the rooftops as a uniquely caring part of their OS, not saying it's that after they've been found out.

I thought it was going to say that the Moon Landings were faked by Apple

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I thought it was going to say that the Moon Landings were faked by Apple

M
    Probably that as well

Craftsman
    Bet nobody else does this, naughty Apple. Just buy another phone if its not fast enough. Or move to an Android. I had my battery changed in my 6s a month or so back, under Apple exchange for free. I hadn't noticed the phone slowing, just the battery not lasting as long. Its now really good. Wonder how many other phone manufacturers would replace faulty batteries after over 2 years for free, apart from Samsung when the phones caught fire.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Bet nobody else does this, naughty Apple. Just buy another phone if its not fast enough. Or move to an Android. I had my battery changed in my 6s a month or so back, under Apple exchange for free. I hadn't noticed the phone slowing, just the battery not lasting as long. Its now really good. Wonder how many other phone manufacturers would replace faulty batteries after over 2 years for free, apart from Samsung when the phones caught fire.
    If your car got slower every time you had it serviced you wouldn't be quiet so happy about it

I manage 1000s of iPhones.

For high use devices the batteries are poor after a year and useless after two. Apple has never repaired one free.

Grand Master
    After the last ios update my 6 was slow and the battery now lasts about half as long. I notice that things like bluetooth turn on automatically, same with other things which drain the battery, funny that.

I'd say they were misleading customers.

No wonder they managed 40bn in three months.

Thankfully I run Android.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 21st December 2017 at 19:01.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I'd say they were misleading customers.

No wonder they managed 40bn in three months.

Thankfully I run Android.
    Nice poem
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I don't know what is better - phone that lasts e.g. 4h on full charge and is fast or phone that lasts whole day, but is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    After the last ios update my 6 was slow and the battery now lasts about half as long. I notice that things like bluetooth turn on automatically, same with other things which drain the battery, funny that.
    In IOS 11 the bluetooth switch in the swipe up Control Centre only turns it off temporarily, you need to go into settings to turn it off properly. What other battery drains have you found that turn on automatically?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I don't know what is better - phone that lasts e.g. 4h on full charge and is fast or phone that lasts whole day, but is slow.
    I'd hazzard a guess a phone that lasts whole day, but is slow for Joe public.

A bit like the inkjet printers (but less money) where a little reservoir gradually fills up, and once full...... you need to buy a new printer.

”the feature ensures that prints are constistantly good”

Yeah - right!

Master
    Interesting. I knew they slowed phones but didn’t realise it was battery related. Thought it was just higher demands in aging phones. I now have a 6s on sim only and it’s all the phone I need. When it starts to slow I’ll get the battery replaced for £30 ish as opposed to forking over ££££ for a new model.

Master
    Their device obsolescence program is very impressive. Works across phones and iPads and makes the device slow enough to be infuriating rather than unusable so you never end up with anyone saying "iPhones are rubbish, mine just completely died". Means all the mugs keep buying their latest expensive shiny thing.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Yawn.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’m surprised if many members of this forum own anything long enough to worry about the battery slowing down - don’t most people swap their phone every couple of years anyway? - and in comparison to a breitling battery service, £70 odd seems laughably cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m surprised if many members of this forum own anything long enough to worry about the battery slowing down - don’t most people swap their phone every couple of years anyway? - and in comparison to a breitling battery service, £70 odd seems laughably cheap

I'm on a two year contract, ends in April next month but after only 6 months or so my 6s started to have battery issues ... Shutting down in the cold etc ... Took it to Apple they said its normal (wouldn't last anywhere near a day) kept wiping it and trying everything then about 6 months later it would randomly shut down and not turn on again until I'd plugged it in regardless of the battery took it to apple and was fortunate enough for it to happen in front of them and they just said 'yeah it's dead you need a new phone that'll be £290' ... It's just started to crash ... Freeze them weird lines on the screen before restarting

Issue is whilst the phones crap it's still overall the best on the market :/

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post

I have a 7+ but think it's all getting a bit out of hand, I know several people who this year have gone hang on this is nuts and bought Cubot phones, they do 95% of what the current iPhone does but for £100-£130. Considering the bom cost of an IPhone is about the same, these phones are going to become more and more popular.

https://technology.ihs.com/595738/ih...-actually-buys

They have done two cost downs since this was published, but it's still a bit of an eye opener, the reason I have to monitor this stuff if that if Apple design a part in, I try to get my customers to design it out, for example the Micron memory parts are currently on a Two year lead time because of Apples demand.
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd December 2017 at 07:54.

It's simply another example of keeping their customers on the upgrade escalator leading to sustainable revenues and large profits. Android and Linux for me.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If your car got slower every time you had it serviced you wouldn't be quiet so happy about it
    Didn't say I was happy about it, but I have more important things to worry about, than a phone.

Craftsman
    I'm on a two year contract, ends in April next month but after only 6 months or so my 6s started to have battery issues ... Shutting down in the cold etc ... Took it to Apple they said its normal (wouldn't last anywhere near a day) kept wiping it and trying everything then about 6 months later it would randomly shut down and not turn on again until I'd plugged it in regardless of the battery took it to apple and was fortunate enough for it to happen in front of them and they just said 'yeah it's dead you need a new phone that'll be £290' ... It's just started to crash ... Freeze them weird lines on the screen before restarting

Apple are running a free battery change on some 6S, you can check by inputing your serial number on their site, or open a chat with a tech bod on apple, they authorised my battery change and all is good now.

If you’re worried about overpriced goods and ludicrous servicing/upgrade costs, I suggest you avoid ‘Watch talk’

So is the view that what they are doing is actually for the benefit of the consumer?

Once you've been cought say sorry and hope it goes away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42508300

Quote of 2017
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wonder if they do this on iPads and their laptop range???

Excellent cheap battery replacments for the next year - perfect timing for my old 6 the wife uses!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would changing the battery speed it up though? Is the slowing down not in the OS firmware?

Edit; just seen the link above. Suppose they would have to roll out an update as well as the cheap (please believe our story bribe) batteries.

In fairness to Apple, they responded to consumer feeling, and a replacement battery for £21 is pretty good imo. They could've just fronted it out like some companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    In fairness to Apple, they responded to consumer feeling, and a replacement battery for £21 is pretty good imo. They could've just fronted it out like some companies do.
    Rubbish, they are responding to legal actions and preempting prosicution.

Craftsman
    Apple are running a free battery change on some 6S, you can check by inputing your serial number on their site, or open a chat with a tech bod on apple, they authorised my battery change and all is good now.
    Cheers for that just checked mine and im eligible for battery change

a replacement battery for £21 is pretty good imo.
    is that just for the 6s? I can't see that pricing anywhere on their site - just the £79 option.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    is that just for the 6s? I can't see that pricing anywhere on their site - just the £79 option.
    I thought they were running a recall on some 6's, depends on the serial number, I assume they have discovered a fault. Nothing to do with them slowing down old model phones deliberately.

That’s for the US isn’t it, don’t think anything has been announced here?

My wife’s Android phone has just died after just over 3 years mild use - if you don’t like Apple, buy Android - although in my experience they don’t last long before slowing down and bombarding you with nonsense. And their updates are a farce aren’t they? Based on your model of phone, network etc - a right mess.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Some of the members here seem to buy a new one everytime it needs charging.