closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PIR Sensor Question

Craftsman

PIR Sensor Question

I don't touch electrickery at all so would appreciate some advice. The PIR sensor has failed on one of our wall lights and I think I can get a like for like replacement that our electrician could fit. However higher management has seen a light she likes but without an integrated sensor. My question for those in the know - how difficult (and costly) is fitting a separate sensor to this light and are there any potential issues?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Not especially difficult (especially if you're employing an electrician to do it) or costly (an external PIR sensor should be well under £20).

Only question is aesthetics - the sensors are not especially beautiful, and may not look as nice as an all-in-one integrated lighting unit.

Craftsman
    A piece of p to wire.

Will look ridiculous, unless it’s external.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Not especially difficult (especially if you're employing an electrician to do it) or costly (an external PIR sensor should be well under £20).

Only question is aesthetics - the sensors are not especially beautiful, and may not look as nice as an all-in-one integrated lighting unit.
    Many thanks. I agree with the aesthetics issue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    A piece of p to wire.

Will look ridiculous, unless it’s external.
    Forgot to say it's an outside light

The wiring itself is easy enough. The problem will be that there is probably a cable currently coming out of the wall where you want the light to be. You can locate an (ugly) sensor there, but you will then need to run a wire from the sensor to the light in its new position or it will be right next to the sensor.

To do it properly you will want to locate the sensor on the wall somewhere people are seen and attach the other end of the new light to the sensor (so no wires show).

Really you would have a sensor - say at the beginning of the drive, triggering several lights on the side of the house.

So whilst the wiring is easy the aesthetics could be harder to achieve. Of course if you have hollow walls you could locate the new light away from the sensor and run the cable in the cavity but if you are not experienced with this DIY it may be worth getting an electrician in despite the wiring to make the connections being straighforward.