closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best thing you have bought/been given in 2017?

Grand Master
    Health & Love
    RIAC

New ski boots for me. After years of thinking 'of course your feet hurt and get cramp, that's just part of skiing' to discovering after buying professionally fitted new boots that I can ski with my feet in total blissful comfort all day every day was life changing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    New E63s AMG Mercedes. Absolutely awesome performance. I love it!

Beautiful car. You don’t work for 3M do you?

Please do put a build thread up.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    We bought a 1 year old VW T6 Transporter, and have nearly finished converting it to a campervan. I may put a build thread up early next year.

Pete
    I for one would find it an interesting read.

I was given this back in September. Did have to ride from London to get it though

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Adorable, Ash.

How do they get on indoors, is it about feeling & memory? They’re gorgeous & my wife loves them already.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Some lovely comments, but believe me when I say it's no hardship! They're no different to any other cat, and now Stevie (sat by the cushion), had his surgery, he's just a cat with no eyes. Prior to that he had some pretty messed up 'eyes' which gave him no vision, and were just an infection risk, hence the vet bill.. His sister is blind but has no such problems in that area. As they rely on their whiskers and smell so much, they can do pretty much what any other cat can do. He's getting good at catching flies, and can catch a ball mid air (providing their is a bell in it of course...!) In fact that's the biggest downside, is that every toy they have has some sort of noise element, so for small things, they are bloody noisy!

Getting around is no issue - they know the house well now - occasionally they'll turn early and walk into a wall, but I'd say that's only once or twice a month that we see that happen. Pretty resilient, amazingly independent, and very good company.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Easy. This pair. Oh, and a ticket to GNR last June. Epic.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lucky man.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is my best purchase this year ☺

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^very nice. On my list!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    ^^^^very nice. On my list!
    I rather like your BM's! 0

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I rather like your BM's! 0
    Grass. Greener!

Master
    I think it would have to be:

Iron Maiden at the O2
    GnR at the Queen Elizabeth
    U2 at Twickenham

Oh and a Lansky knive sharpener recommended on here. A Henri Lloyd waxed jacket - have worn it almost every day since buying it.

Lastly, two weeks in Rio.

Master
    Bought my dream house this year, 20+ years of plugging away and hard work have paid off. Really nice feeling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    VW Crafter, with the load space chequer plated, drawers and tool area fitted and aircraft tracking for load lashing, for carrying the motorbikes around. It’ll be even better when the WM swivel ramp gets fitted in February.

The best thing I bought was a replacement for the turntable I threw out 14 years ago. Very glad to have vinyl back in my life.

The best thing I was given was this Seiko SBCA001

Craftsman
    My Tudor Pelagos LHD took a long time to track down and I love it but the best thing I've bought this year is the holiday I'm now on - enjoying perfect skiing conditions in Austria with my wife. Last year she fell and hurt herself on the second day of a two week holiday and couldn't ski so it's great to be back to normal this year.

Master
    What's the best thing you have bought/been given in 2017?
    Yet another reason to end it all. I may well take advantage. LOL! :) I fucking hate life.

Aberlour A'bunadh cask 61
    Slurp

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    This is my best purchase this year ☺

Wow, very nice Jon! Meant to be the smoothest ride you can get.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Wow, very nice Jon! Meant to be the smoothest ride you can get.
    Thanks - it's certainly very smooth - turbine-like - and there's plenty of power even though it's not fully run-in yet. Roll on the warm weather!

Father Christmas came up trumps with this http://

A woman my wife met through a support group organised this. An opportunity for parents who've lost children to buy gifts that are then sent to Kenya and given to kids over there. Felt really nice being able to buy something (sort of) for our son, that actually gets put to use.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    A woman my wife met through a support group organised this. An opportunity for parents who've lost children to buy gifts that are then sent to Kenya and given to kids over there. Felt really nice being able to buy something (sort of) for our son, that actually gets put to use.

Well, I was going to say the new motorbike I hocked myself upto the eyeballs to get after flogging the old one, but now I feel like a bit of a shallow materialistic twat.

Well done mate, that’s how it should be. Good for you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    Well, I was going to say the new motorbike I hocked myself upto the eyeballs to get after flogging the old one, but now I feel like a bit of a shallow materialistic twat.

Well done mate, that’s how it should be. Good for you.
    ^^^^absolutely.

An old Monopoly set - same as the one I played when I was a child.

However the earlier post about the child in Kenya is probably the best gift one could give.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by simon-c View Post
    We just had the exact model installed...awesome bit of kit

Oooooh weve got the Contura 51L too and bloody love it. Truth be told its slightly too big for the room so we dont load it right up but the compromise is worth it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    An old Monopoly set - same as the one I played when I was a child.

However the earlier post about the child in Kenya is probably the best gift one could give.
    Spot on . My house is swimming in kids toys and as much as I don’t begrudge buying it for them it puts it all into perspective about how we are over indulged over here and have more than what we need.

Journeyman
    Tickets for the stones roses in Glasgow, possibly their last. It was very memorable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post

Truly humbling. That little boy looks delighted by his gift. It puts all our chattels into a harsh perspective.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After some of the humbling post above I feel like a nob saying about something I've bought.

I got rid of the awful M135i and bought a 6month old GTI. It's superb.

Journeyman
    What did you dislike about the M135i- I thought every owner loved these cars?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rc30matt View Post
    What did you dislike about the M135i- I thought every owner loved these cars?
    Where do I start lol.

Ride without adaptive is rock hard
    Gearbox is slick around town but foot to the floor there's a delay forever for the kick down, and was whining after 500 miles
    Audio made a hissing noise all the time and sometimes the left speakers wouldn't work so you had to turn off and on. Bmw refused to look at it without me paying because i couldn't replicate it despite me showing them a video.
    Chassis is downright poor, I've had two M3s and a 135 coupe and the hatch is really quick to lose traction in tight bends so all the power is wasted in a blaze of traction control (or oversteer)
    I got nowhere near the quoted mpg
    One headlight suffered a load of condensation dripping inside so bmw told me to use the lights more!
    The electric steering is the worst I've even seen, no joking it's like a PlayStation wheel.

There may be more but I've tried to block it from my mind lol.

The Golf is just better as a car ignoring the engines, and while the bmws pace is incredible on a slip road everywhere else it's numb and jiggly. Having run both for a year I'd say anyone who says otherwise is into brochures more than feel.

I tested a Golf R too but that also felt a bit inert and heavy (which the bmw and R are). The GTI is really exceptional.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh also a mate of mine drove from Reading to Bristol in his M135i 3dr with the window down and now has permanent tinnitus which he blames on the car.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Where do I start lol.

Ride without adaptive is rock hard
    Gearbox is slick around town but foot to the floor there's a delay forever for the kick down, and was whining after 500 miles
    Audio made a hissing noise all the time and sometimes the left speakers wouldn't work so you had to turn off and on. Bmw refused to look at it without me paying because i couldn't replicate it despite me showing them a video.
    Chassis is downright poor, I've had two M3s and a 135 coupe and the hatch is really quick to lose traction in tight bends so all the power is wasted in a blaze of traction control (or oversteer)
    I got nowhere near the quoted mpg
    One headlight suffered a load of condensation dripping inside so bmw told me to use the lights more!
    The electric steering is the worst I've even seen, no joking it's like a PlayStation wheel.

There may be more but I've tried to block it from my mind lol.

The Golf is just better as a car ignoring the engines, and while the bmws pace is incredible on a slip road everywhere else it's numb and jiggly. Having run both for a year I'd say anyone who says otherwise is into brochures more than feel.

I tested a Golf R too but that also felt a bit inert and heavy (which the bmw and R are). The GTI is really exceptional.
    So just niggles then?

Thanks for the info, very interesting. We splurged on a S4 Avant earlier this year and love it

Journeyman
    A Finnish rya (long pile rug) circa 1960 made by a designer caller Kirsti Ilvessalo.

https://www.galeriesalier.nl/product...ti%20Ilvessalo

I first discovered this designer when I found a rug by her on ebay years ago ("Green Meadow"). It was being sold by the British Heart Foundation as part of an estate sale and I got outbid at £300 odd. One just like it later sold at Christies for £20k. That still irks me now, 10+ years later

It would have to be this, bought in January:

In case its not obvious what it is - its a single sculling boat. I've been rowing on and off since I was 14; I'm now ... ahem ... somewhat older; and this is the first boat I have owned.

The name is because my father and grandfather were Thames watermen and their tugs were all called "Dart ..." the last being Dart IV; the ID number was chosen because it was a present to myself for my 50th birthday (and I'm in charge of numbering!).

I gave an xmas present to an old homeless bloke that I have seen around Aberdeen. It was a package of some wool socks, gloves, a used synthetic padded gilet, a miniature bottle of whisky, some new wash kit and a small amount of cash. You should have seen his face light up when he saw the contents. He was soon in tears so I took him for a tea and a fry-up. Had a chat to him about nothing in particular. He obviously had problems, but wasn't discussing them. Afterwards I felt conflicted about whether I had done the right thing, seeing him so upset. I know that his dog died this year. The gilet was a bit big for him, but he said it was warm. I didn't realise how bony he was until he took some clothes off to put the gilet on.

You should drop Andyg a message - I believe he has a rowing machine too.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman

What's the best thing you have bought/been given in 2017?

Just managed to sneak it in before the year expired. Wanted one for thirty or so years and finally had one made up from early internals, existing parts and new exterior parts for half the price of a new basic model:

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I gave an xmas present to an old homeless bloke that I have seen around Aberdeen. It was a package of some wool socks, gloves, a used synthetic padded gilet, a miniature bottle of whisky, some new wash kit and a small amount of cash. You should have seen his face light up when he saw the contents. He was soon in tears so I took him for a tea and a fry-up. Had a chat to him about nothing in particular. He obviously had problems, but wasn't discussing them. Afterwards I felt conflicted about whether I had done the right thing, seeing him so upset. I know that his dog died this year. The gilet was a bit big for him, but he said it was warm. I didn't realise how bony he was until he took some clothes off to put the gilet on.
    Homeless people love new socks
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    Just managed to sneak it in before the year expired. Wanted one for thirty or so years and finally had one made up from early internals, existing parts and new exterior parts for half the price of a new basic model:

A bit of a bargain, then.

Like the plain body - mine is the early design ridged afromosia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Probably the nicest post I've read in the last 12 months. Respect.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    An Arc'teryx Thorium jacket, bought only a couple of weeks ago.

It's a rare occasion when I go shopping for something very specific and find exactly what I'm looking for - dead chuffed with it
    I have just left mine on a Qatar jet in Doha only realised when I arrived in Manchester freezing. I used it as a pillow .......gutted .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post

Lovely!

I’d really like a Pink triangle, but never seem to get around to buying one :(

Grand Master
    Bose Noise cancelling headphones or as I call them Clampet cancelling and every bottle of bushmills 21 I get.
    RIAC

A time machine

An Octbox.

Far better value than a cardboard Rolex box for very little more. However, each to their own
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

A squeegee for the shower. What a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    A squeegee for the shower. What a difference.

Must be a bit tricky around your b****cks and a**e.
    F.T.F.A.