closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mondaine Quartz failed to proceed

Mondaine Quartz failed to proceed

Wife gave me her Mondaine to change the battery, bought a new pack of Renatas off Amazon, tried two and neither are bringing it back to life.

Anything obvious to check? Can't see anything amiss, nothing fell out when I opened the case back.

It's 8 years old. Repairable? It needs a new strap (red leather) as well as whatever's wrong with it. New ones are £99 today on Amazon...

Grand Master
    Watch stops, you assume the battery’s faulty. Fit new battery, watch doesn’t work?

Maybe the watch has a fault and needs attention? When a quartz watch stops the assumption is that the battery’s died, sometimes thst’s not the case. Happens to the best of us, wife’s 8 yr old Omega did this on me and I wnded up having to strip the movement and clean it.

The alternative is that you’ve managed to get dirt in the movement or you’ve touched the coil with a tool and damaged it......very easy to do on ETA movements.

Chances of the batteries being faulty are remote.

Paul

£99 new. It's Xmas. You know what to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the replacement battery is even fractionally too thick, sometimes this pushes the hands into contact with the crystal, and it stops. Happened to me on a very thin Skaagen once. If the battery is correct, and fitted the right way around (!), it could be just dust. It doesnt take much to stop a quartz as they are very low torque. Try a gentle blower brush. If that doesn't work, it likely needs surgery or replacement.

1. try cleaning the contacts.
    2. you might have to short start the movement when a new battery is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If the replacement battery is even fractionally too thick, sometimes this pushes the hands into contact with the crystal, and it stops. Happened to me on a very thin Skaagen once. If the battery is correct, and fitted the right way around (!), it could be just dust. It doesnt take much to stop a quartz as they are very low torque. Try a gentle blower brush. If that doesn't work, it likely needs surgery or replacement.
    Definitely the same one that came out of it - which I replaced myself about 3 years ago.

I'll give it a blast out with some compressed air. There's a local watchmaker I can take it to, but it's a great watch to go with Christmas outfits, and he's not open until the New Year now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    1. try cleaning the contacts.
    2. you might have to short start the movement when a new battery is installed.
    I've given them a little scrape with a very fine emery board, can't see any corrosion.

What's a "short start"? I've tried banging it a bit!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    With quartz watches I buy at car boot sales, I often put a tiny drop of oil on all the visible pivots. Then gently tease the wheels round with a very fine piece of pointed pegwood. This works in 99% of cases. Oh, and also pull the winder in and out a few times to clean the connections on it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    With quartz watches I buy at car boot sales, I often put a tiny drop of oil on all the visible pivots. Then gently tease the wheels round with a very fine piece of pointed pegwood. This works in 99% of cases. Oh, and also pull the winder in and out a few times to clean the connections on it.

Tricks of the trade, Brendan! I find talking to them in a firm tone of voice helps too.

Paul

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Haha !! I've done that a few times too Paul. With all the expletives known to humanity !

Well I bought I tiny screwdriver and took it apart as far as I could. The crown engagement seems OK, nothing seems corroded. Gave it a blast of compressed air, but I don't have any suitable oil to put in, and I wouldn't know where it goes.

Worth buying some oil, or should I just hand it over to the professionals?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Well I bought I tiny screwdriver and took it apart as far as I could. The crown engagement seems OK, nothing seems corroded. Gave it a blast of compressed air, but I don't have any suitable oil to put in, and I wouldn't know where it goes.

Worth buying some oil, or should I just hand it over to the professionals?
    Definitely wouldn’t advocate applying oil if you don’t know what you’re doing. What movement does it use? It might be cost-effective to have a new movement fitted if it’s poorly.

Paul

Going through my drawer of unfixed watches, I pulled this Mondaine out last night.

Put another new battery in it - just a cheap one from the pound shop, rather than a Renata - and it now seems to work perfectly. Wife is wearing it today, not lost a second.

Maybe it just needed a rest...

That's quite some time between updates.

Glad it's working in any case, was the battery you put in the same size physically?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app