closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small Tuna?

Craftsman

Small Tuna?

Do they exist?
    I’ve always liked them & considered them but my wrists are small, just under 7” I’d say.
    I’ve thought about an SKX with a shroud but it’s not a Tuna.
    So, are there any “smaller” ones out there? I had it in my head that the SBBN035 was smaller, but I think I’m wrong after doing a bit of digging.
    Any thoughts, anyone got any & has small wrists?
    Thoughts 🤔
    Ta.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a midi Tst thats if they exist...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ. View Post
    Do they exist?
    I’ve always liked them & considered them but my wrists are small, just under 7” I’d say.
    I’ve thought about an SKX with a shroud but it’s not a Tuna.
    So, are there any “smaller” ones out there? I had it in my head that the SBBN035 was smaller, but I think I’m wrong after doing a bit of digging.
    Any thoughts, anyone got any & has small wrists?
    Thoughts 樂
    Ta.
    IIRC the SBBN035 is slightly smaller v the other tunas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky tree View Post
    IIRC the SBBN035 is slightly smaller v the other tunas.
    I have the Ninja tuna, and it's not as big as most people seem to think. My wrist is 7.25" and it looks small compared to most watches I wear.

If looking for a ’real’ Tuna, i.e 300M WR or more, the 7549-7010 is the smallest/most compact version available,Highly recommend giving one a try.Be warned though, all Tunas wear much more comfortable IRL than you think and it can be a slippery slope when/if one gets the taste for them. I seriously don’t know how many I have now...

Master
    I have had a 5m23 kinetic Tuna- quite hard to come by though
    IMG_1894 by biglewie, on Flickr

They wear smaller than the dimensions suggest. Bit of a crap photo taken in a mirror to try and overcome camera lens distortion. My wrist is 7.25 inch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The Tuna's are know to wear smaller than their dimensions on paper suggest. In my experience I would concur with this opinion, at least the smallest of the breed, the 300m models. Due to having very small lugs, the overall height from lug tip to lug tip is actually smaller than the shroud measured across the 12 to 6 o'clock position. The diameter of the shroud is 46mm but this is measured at it's base - the widest part. It actually tapers towards the top edge.

I have a 16.5cm / 6.5" wrist for reference.

Putting the Tuna aside for the moment and generalising, in my opinion if a watch has a large face in proportion to it's overall size then it can have a tendency to wear bigger than it's dimensions would lead you to believe. eg: a moderately sized watch with a thin bezel, like a Flieger style pilot perhaps. A bigger bezel/smaller face can have the reverse effect and make the watch appear smaller. That was one of the considerations I had in choosing the SBBN033 with it's plain, brushed steel finish to the bezel insert - I felt the black finish to the SBBN031's added to the black dial / detracted from the bezel size.

The 300m Tuna isn't massively bigger than an SKX in certain ways believe it of not. If you are comfortable with an SKX, you will wear a Tuna. The fact that it's a Tuna, you know it's supposed to be slightly big anyway.

Some comparison images:

Seiko's Marinemaster clasps are also the best I've come across yet for actual use over a wetsuit, a lot of the time the fixed length extensions on other clasps still do not offer enough increase in length to stretch.

And finally, some images of the lady without her skirt!

Last edited by Narc'd; 18th December 2017 at 20:35.

Craftsman
    Interesting. That top pic of the Tuna against the 009, which Tuna is that & if you don’t mind what’s the measurement from lug to lug? That pic suggests that they are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ. View Post
    Interesting. That top pic of the Tuna against the 009, which Tuna is that & if you don’t mind what’s the measurement from lug to lug? That pic suggests that they are pretty much the same.
    That's the SBBN033 Tuna (polished shroud, brushed bezel insert). From lug tip to lug tip the Tuna is 44.5mm against 45.5mm of the SKX, the shroud of the Tuna at it's widest point it 47.5mm and both watches have more or less the same diameter bezel, 40.8 for the Tuna and 41.0 for the SKX, give or take.

Another picture if it helps

Monster -> SBBN007 tuna -> 6306 -> 7548-7000

Not much in it really. The 7548-7010 tuna is a fraction of a millimetre smaller than the SBBN007 if I recall.

Craftsman
    Also in agreement that they wear smaller than the measurements would suggest (though they do give shirt cuffs a bit of trouble) and they are super comfortable on the wrist. I miss mine.

Master
    An approximately 7 inch wrist can take a standard sized Tuna no problem. My wrist is well under 6.5 and I wear SBBN037. Sure it's big, but it's a Tuna - it's not supposed to be elegant.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Another picture if it helps

Monster -> SBBN007 tuna -> 6306 -> 7548-7000

Not much in it really. The 7548-7010 tuna is a fraction of a millimetre smaller than the SBBN007 if I recall.
    That is a nice selection of seikos 👍

I have a 6.75" wrist and always assumed a Tuna would be too large so was so delighted when I first tried one on at Narita Airport in Tokyo that I bought it.