closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Post war RAF flying jackets?

Post war RAF flying jackets?

Hi guys!

Does anyone of you know if the RAF still issued leather flying jackets after WWII? Specifically the period from '48 until '53. Was it still the Irvin model?

If so, where would I be able to find such an item for sale? Looking to have a custom strap made. :wink: I've browsed google and the bay but almost all jackets available seem to be from the war or more recent times.

Cheers!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I believe they were phased out of service (no new issues) before the end of the war.

They were replaced for a variety of reasons, they were expensive and increasingly so, they were bulky, and newer cloth jackets and trousers, coupled with electrically heated underwear, began to out perform them, with less weight and bulk, making them more comfortable.

Pictures I have seen of RAF fight crews of the 1950's seem to wear some form of cloth jacket similar to the US B-10 or B-15 jackets (worn with matching trousers, also very similar to USAF A-11).

Master
    check out silvermans they have a good selection of flight jackets issued to squadrons... 8)

I can't seem to find the one I want. But this one was taken around late 1942 to mid 1943, and as you can see, it is some sort of cloth jacket or suit.

For those interested, the aircraft is a very early model Typhoon with the car-door canopy.

This is a good shot of the coveralls often seen later in the war and post-war:

I'm not sure...

...but give these guys a ring, they may know:
    http://www.eastmanleather.com/

Paddy

Thanks for the info! Seems like this might turn out to be impossible, a cloth jacket won't be of any use.

Quote Originally Posted by 11
    Thanks for the info! Seems like this might turn out to be impossible, a cloth jacket won't be of any use.
    I understand the allure of a leather jacket, but don't be fooled, if what the RAF issued was anything like the US B-15 cloth jackets (and I highly suspect they were) they are very warm.

The B-15 was alpaca pile lined.

[img]ttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/troopercooper/DSCI0004.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Quote Originally Posted by 11
    I understand the allure of a leather jacket, but don't be fooled, if what the RAF issued was anything like the US B-15 cloth jackets (and I highly suspect they were) they are very warm.

The B-15 was alpaca pile lined.

[img]ttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/troopercooper/DSCI0004.jpg[/img]
    I don't doubt. :wink: But as I mentioned in the opening post, the plan was to have the jacket cut up for watchstraps. Leather comes with the nice appropriate wabi. I don't think the same appeal applies as much for textile.

Apprentice
    The place you need is:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... s&catid=41

BUT the RAF never issued leather jackets. Their flying jackets were sheepskin. In any case the price of an original USAF/USN leather jacket would make your straps very expensive. Quite apart from the fact they are super rare historical items.

Why not ask Aero if they'd make you a strap or two out of the leather they use for their replica jackets? Analine died horse hide etc.

Eddie