closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX009 or Chris Ward

Craftsman

SKX009 or Chris Ward

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a good Christmas.
    I'm new to the forum so was hoping for a wee bit of advice on what may be a slightly unusual decision:

Being quite new to the watch world my collection is still very much in its infancy. However, after a lot of reading on various forums and websites I have decided on my next few additions will more than likely be the Seiko SKX009 and a Chris Ward C65 Trident. I realise that they are different styles but that's kind of the point.

The budget at the moment though can only stretch to one of them so the question is which one?

The other question is, if it is the to be the SKX009, where is best to buy it?

I have found a seller on Amazon selling the SKX009K2 for about £200 with a 2 year manufacturer warranty but could actually get the SKX009J (which, from reading through various forums seems to be better quality) from Creation Watches for only about £160 but I'm a bit unsure about buying from a GM company.

Please help, I think I'm at the stage where I've now over thought it so am confusing myself.

Thanks in advance.

Fraser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    In my opinion the SKX00x is about the best value entry in to "proper" watches. Not handled a CW, but I don't doubt they will be higher quality case and movement. However, I prefer Seiko as a brand. You'd also save yourself some money going for the SKX and use it toward your next inevitable purchase.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Personally, I'd get the Ward any day of the week, so long as it was 40% off RRP or more. It's a beautiful piece and the finish is fantastic.

I own an SKX009 and 007 and they are great watches for their price, but nowhere near the finish or quality.

You should be able to pick one up for £130 or thereabouts from Skywatches, though creation are great too. Unlikely to incur any VAT so long as you choose the cheap shipping option. I believe Creation have an option that guarantees a domestic delivery (and therefore no VAT guaranteed) for £6.

The SKX is a bit of cult classic and you wont go wrong with it. I wouldn't get caught up in the whole J versus K thing either. Absolute placebo territory in my opinion.

Also the StrapCode super oyster bracelet is a serious upgrade.

Check out Yorkshire watches. Well known & well respected dealer but not as cheap as Creation/Sky.

Master
    Can't go wrong with either IMO. Try to get the CW in one their frequent sales, if possible but, to be honest, I think, even at full price, they offer a quality product for the money.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Either would be good, although I found the build quality of my 007j to be far below that of my trident. Although that's not to say the Seiko build quality was in any way poor.

Blog Entries
    Best place maybe to do a wtb for a 009 or look on sales corner . Good condition 009/7 usually crop up regularly for £100-£130 . In fact there is a 007 on sales now ( I realise wrong colour but maybe worth a cheeky punt )

Craftsman
    Id get the skx009 for now. It’s a cracking watch for the money and will prob stave off the need for a cwl any time soon. I’ve had both and the trident is a much higher quality watch. But the skx has more charm and is a particularly good Watch to own as a benchmark in this early stage of your hobby. I’d buy off amazon or eBay quite happily. Picked up an 007 from amazon and a 009 from eBay actually. Good thing about amazon is v easy return if faulty. My 007 wasn’t holding a charge and they sent a replacement before if even put the original back in the post. I’d avoid getting from creation to save a couple of quid. It’s not worth the hassle for a relatively inexpensive watch imo. Plus you of course have to factor in vat on its arrival to the uk. The prices fluctuate on amazon constantly but you can easily pick up a deal. I’d also forget the whole J over K thing. Your paying a premium for an intangible benefit that will make zero difference to your life. Or the Watch.

Master
    All wise words from the posters. I’d just add that if you feel you may flip you’d probably flip an SkX007/9 in a few hours on S/c . I’d therefore make sure if you prefer a Chris Ward that it is at sales price as they will take a hit. Have you thought about getting a 2nd hand Seiko Monster? Now you’d really be in cult / forum favourite territory.

Journeyman
    You need to take into account the CW sale if you’re keeping or flippping.

Craftsman
    I'd most definitely take the Seiko in your position. Had my 007 many a moon, still wear it now regularly even though the collection has gotten much bigger and I have many 'posher' pieces..

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think you've actually changed my mind somewhat as I was leaning towards the CW but the Seiko does seem to get a lot of love.
    I reckon I'll wait and see what (or if) the CW sale brings though, just in case!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Best place maybe to do a wtb for a 009 or look on sales corner . Good condition 009/7 usually crop up regularly for £100-£130 . In fact there is a 007 on sales now ( I realise wrong colour but maybe worth a cheeky punt )

I do like this idea as I'm a bit cautious of buying watches from eBay but, from reading the intro info when I signed up, I can't get on to the SC boards until I've hit either 50 posts or 60 days. Sadly I'm a bit short of both.

Craftsman
    I’m not knocking the CW but the Seiko skx’s are classics in their own right. Anyone into watches should try one at some point. As for buying, I would be cautious about using Creation. You will have to pay tax on it before it’s delivered and if you’re unlucky and get a skx with a misaligned bezel ( common fault) returning it could be a pain in the backside. I got my 009 from Yorkshire Watches and they were great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    In my opinion the SKX00x is about the best value entry in to "proper" watches. Not handled a CW, but I don't doubt they will be higher quality case and movement. However, I prefer Seiko as a brand. You'd also save yourself some money going for the SKX and use it toward your next inevitable purchase.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I have a skx007 and a trident. Quality is much better on the trident. Better finish, stock bracelet, small details and movement. Only advantage of skx is the lume and price. Both are great though!

The 43mm trident on bracelet wears a bit larger than skx, even though they are 43 vs 42mm. Havent tried a 38mm (yet).

Blog Entries

SKX009 or Chris Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I do like this idea as I'm a bit cautious of buying watches from eBay but, from reading the intro info when I signed up, I can't get on to the SC boards until I've hit either 50 posts or 60 days. Sadly I'm a bit short of both.

Yes ebay is a big gamble . The sales corner on here is a respectable place once you have access

Last edited by bond; 27th December 2017 at 21:34.

I bought an skx007 from costco online a couple of weeks ago.

Arrived within two days of ordering.

£184.99 and a bullet proof returns policy.

They seem to still have them in stock.

Needless to say i love it.

It seems to be keeping time extraordinarily well too!

In this situation I'd be tempted by the SKX and a sapphire crystal. If your chapter ring is misaligned you can realign it as part of the crystal swapping process.

Definitely buy from outside the country to save money - on this value of watch, does it really matter that it's grey market?

Journeyman
    SKX009 all the way.

very cool and customisable, and 200m waterproof!

Skx009 and don’t be fooled into thinking the J is better there’s no discernible difference

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I’ve not had a C.Ward before. Did have some interest a few years back but never came to anything.

Seiko for sure. If you can get an oyster bracelet too you won’t be disappointed.

Master
    I you intend to buy both it should be pretty simple. If the CW is on sale and you have the money then get it. If it's not on sale then buy the SKX from creation or sky (bought from both several times and no issues) and start saving for the next time the CW is sale.

I agree with what others have said about the K v J thing. Had a K 009 and a J 007 and there was no difference in the timekeeping. In terms of case finish the K looked slightly sharper though it's not really a case where "sharp" is that noticeable.