closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need a bit of advice on pricing a rare bauble.

Need a bit of advice on pricing a rare bauble.

I have an all original Seiko 6139 Pogue Chrono yellow dial on bracelet fully working bit of minor ageing on the dial however it comes with original box and actual instruction manual i appreciate this is difficult without photos but any thoughts on pricing as i'm going to put it up for sale thank you in advance.

Master
    Even rough ones bring £200 now. Mint in the box with all provenance I've seen lunatic prices in the £800 range. Boxed but worn I guess £350 - £400.
    Depends if the paperwork is original to the watch, or just a manual that matches the calibre.

To be honest I've stopped even clicking them on ebay, everyone with a plain (silver dial or blue dial) 6139 thinks it's a Pogue, and everyone with an actual Pogue thinks it's the crown jewels - I didn't like them at £100 a pop, I hate them at 4x that.

The paperwork matches the calibre as does the label on the side of the box.

Hardly what you'd call rare. Has the sub-dial hand been re-attached ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    However a correct original box and instruction manual is rare although I'm struggling to understand the relevance of the minute register hand being re-attached or not. If the watch has been serviced in its life then it would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Oh ok its not rare i'll put it up for sale at £0.00000000001 it might hopefully sell at that price.

To be honest Mannu, it’s going to be hard to value on here, the box and paperwork will mean a lot to a collector, my advice is to eBay it, it will find it’s worth and get a couple of Seiko nuts bidding it would do well I think.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I paid about £300 for a nice example (thanks fellow TZer) but with no box nor papers. I sold an early one that looked as though it had been run over for £200+ needing loadsa repair.
    There are desirable features (e.g. Water....70m...Resist on the dial, from a poor memory) that can up the price.
    You will have to do the hard yards of webtrawling to get a true realistic value, and then trust to luck, but I would suggest that £400 would be a reasonable price today.

All this from a total non-expert you understand; just the results of my inquiries when I was in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I paid about £300 for a nice example (thanks fellow TZer) but with no box nor papers. I sold an early one that looked as though it had been run over for £200+ needing loadsa repair.
    There are desirable features (e.g. Water....70m...Resist on the dial, from a poor memory) that can up the price.
    You will have to do the hard yards of webtrawling to get a true realistic value, and then trust to luck, but I would suggest that £400 would be a reasonable price today.

All this from a total non-expert you understand; just the results of my inquiries when I was in the market.
    I agree i'll post a few photos and that will help give a better idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    To be honest Mannu, it’s going to be hard to value on here, the box and paperwork will mean a lot to a collector, my advice is to eBay it, it will find it’s worth and get a couple of Seiko nuts bidding it would do well I think.
    You're right Jason but i hate Fleabay however some of the prices are utter nuts.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Pictures are a must otherwise it's all just random conjecture. For instance,minor ageing....that could easily mean different things to different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Oh ok its not rare i'll put it up for sale at £0.00000000001 it might hopefully sell at that price.
    If that includes RMSD, I’ll take it!

I only know this vaguely, so can't tell you exactly what to look out for, but there are a couple of variants which are significantly more rare and thus more expensive. Get the codes from the dial and caseback and get googling, because I know there is a web page listing and explaining all the different versions

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Pictures are a must otherwise it's all just random conjecture. For instance,minor ageing....that could easily mean different things to different folks.
    Nail. Head.

We could be talking about a £300 watch here or it might be worth 5x that.

Ok some photos as i only have My iPhone 6S acting as My camera please excuse the basic photos:-

There are tiny black spots on the dial which i believe are signs of ageing.
    Last edited by Boeingdriver; 17th December 2017 at 13:04.

That is a nice watch and the box and papers are a bonus.

I own a very nice condition 70m resist dial. Had it for years I paid not very much for it and I would pay for another in the same condition 4 times as much now.

Vintage seiko collectors on instagram and other social network outlets are crazy for these, they are very much undervalued at present and I have seen crazy prices for these, as in sold not buy it now.

To be fair, in my opinion Seiko’s like these are on the up, I like them as they are the watches I wanted to own when I was a kid.

Value and price is tricky to be fair as others have said. What would I buy it at if I saw it advertised I think £400 is fair.

But I think with a good description and very clear crisp pictures on eBay, this will go for much more.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 17th December 2017 at 13:34.

Master

It'd be a shame but... I think a couple of bidders on eBay would get carried away just for the box and manual to swap their mint 6139 into and sell on the watch.

I'd ebay it with no Reserve if it were mine.

Pretty cool to see though.

Master
    Fantastic set.
    The watch looks to be pretty rough to my eye though - I sold one in that sort of shape on here for £100 not long ago.
    That set with a minter and you could probably ask £700-£800. With the aged dial and chipped bezel I reckon my original guestimate was on the money at £400. The sort of serious collectors who would go mad for a full set would want the watch to be a bit better condition in my opinion, age and "patina" is expected, but outright damage is a bit off-putting.

I have to say I disagree with;
    Vintage seiko collectors on instagram and other social network outlets are crazy for these, they are very much undervalued at present and I have seen crazy prices for these.
    The last bit is correct, but undervalued they ain't. I have been collecting Seiko watches forever and have seen these climb by about 400% in the last couple of years - they are really not worth any more than they're bringing now. Could be another 62MAS I guess but I can't imagine them climbing much higher, it's just a couple of asking prices that have got silly so the market appears falsely inflated.

And as for "rare" variants. Nope. The gold dial with pepsi bezel is the Pogue. They do a couple of other colours, but that gold dial is THE ONLY Pogue, named for the astronaut who wore it in space. He didn't wear the silver dial, he didn't wear the blue dial. Sadly, "Pogue" in the title of a sale listing attracts more views...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It'd be a shame but... I think a couple of bidders on eBay would get carried away just for the box and manual to swap their mint 6139 into and sell on the watch.

I'd ebay it with no Reserve if it were mine.

Pretty cool to see though.

Exactly this. Mint watch & original box and papers = *ching ching*

I wonder if it might even pull more split up.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Exactly this. Mint watch & original box and papers = *ching ching*

I wonder if it might even pull more split up.
    I think you might be right with your last point Kev.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Put it on the bay, with good photos, extensive description, 99p start price with no reserve (frightening I know but go for it), and it'll at least reach its true value. And if two or more bidders get into a bidding war, who knows how high it will go? And no one can accuse you of asking too much for it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Ok i have one exactly the same with absolutely no marks or ageing on the dial again with actual manual and warranty booklet i am torn between selling it or keeping it as a backup Gents thank you for the various thoughts and info i really am grateful to You all i have it on My wrist and its ticking away beautifully.

Looking through this page -

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...llectors-guide

- fairly quickly, it seems that a "no markings" dial -6005 doesn't have scarcity to make it especially desirable in that respect
    Last edited by Der Amf; 17th December 2017 at 14:32.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Ok i have one exactly the same with absolutely no marks or ageing on the dial again with actual manual and warranty booklet i am torn between selling it or keeping it as a backup Gents thank you for the various thoughts and info i really am grateful to You all i have it on My wrist and its ticking away beautifully.
    Good luck with whatever you decide but unless you're desperate for £500 then I'd keep it. I was going to say where would you find another with a box and manual but you've blown that out the water! Can't be many people with two!

Also, sure you're aware but fwiw it's a good idea to leave the chronograph running on these (just looking at the pics of the seconds hand at 12) if you want to keep the chrono in good order. Or at least leave the chrono in the running position when storing so the spring on the centre wheel doesn't get weak.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

I have to say I disagree with;
    Vintage seiko collectors on instagram and other social network outlets are crazy for these, they are very much undervalued at present and I have seen crazy prices for these.
    The last bit is correct, but undervalued they ain't. I have been collecting Seiko watches forever and have seen these climb by about 400% in the last couple of years - they are really not worth any more than they're bringing now. Could be another 62MAS I guess but I can't imagine them climbing much higher, it's just a couple of asking prices that have got silly so the market appears falsely inflated.

And as for "rare" variants. Nope. The gold dial with pepsi bezel is the Pogue. They do a couple of other colours, but that gold dial is THE ONLY Pogue, named for the astronaut who wore it in space. He didn't wear the silver dial, he didn't wear the blue dial. Sadly, "Pogue" in the title of a sale listing attracts more views...
    Fair enough sir, I respect your point of view.

I feel the value of this watch for me is the price point I bought at or would by at in the future. When I say it is undervalued it is only in my opinion compared to other vintage watches from other manufacturers, that are fetching in my opinion simply amazing figures at auction. These could go higher in the current climate, compared to quality of other watches For example the recent auction of vintage Heuer chronographs.

I like some vintage Heuer’s looks but I like vintage seiko chronograph’s better.

To be honest I never know about the pogue connection when I bought mine, I was at a watch meet up and it was the first time I had seen the watch since I was a kid and it was regularly on the wrist of my dads work mate.

I had wanted one ever since but never knew what it was up until that point, it was buying it that got me into buying more seiko’s.

So to me it was dads mate Kevin’s watch in the 1970’s and remember I thought it was the coolest watch I had ever seen. It is my youngest sons favourite watch I own. Weird.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 17th December 2017 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Or at least leave the chrono in the running position when storing so the spring on the centre wheel doesn't get weak.
    Good advice