closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So I've seen a woman's watch I quite like the look of...

So I've seen a woman's watch I quite like the look of...

You are thinking "But Alan... that's an INOX, the manly watch for manly men!"

Except it's not its the INOX V - the em.. manly watch for lady like women which comes in a 37mm. How this differs from the man's version is a mystery and I rather like the look of it (also comes on a black strap) - seems a really silly bit of marketing differentiation (surely just a unisex watch).

Anyone out there wearing a watch marketed specifically to women? (excluding female members of the forum...)

Master
    You’ll be wanting us to call you Loretta next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    You’ll be wanting us to call you Loretta next.

Buy me a drink first...

Master
    Only if you wear the hot-pants sugar.

I like this 36mm one, although I don't own it:

It sits demurely in the “womens” section of retailer Jack Road...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Anyone out there wearing a watch marketed specifically to women? (excluding female members of the forum...)
    SWMBO reckons her OysterQuartz is a perfect watch for women as 'you don't have to keep wearing it every day in order that it keeps time'.

(For relevance, her previous watch was a Datejust).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I can't believe in this day and age they label certain watches really.

I posted on here about a lovely Breitling transocean (I think it was called) I saw in the Breitling store and it was one of very few Breitlings I've loved. The 'salesman' came over and I said to him how much I loved it and he just said "that's a woman's watch, the men's version is over here..."

You'd think a salesman would recognise interest and whip it out for you to try. Instead he pee'd me off enough to drive me away.

Maybe a million miles away from the likes of these "proper" watches, but I find a lot of the Baby G range much less disagreeable than the men's G-Shocks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I like this 36mm one, although I don't own it:

It sits demurely in the “womens” section of retailer Jack Road...
    I was told that was a woman’s watch as well.

Obviously those sales men are compensating for something.

Master
    There was a ladies Patek Philippe chronograph a few years back that, if not studded with diamonds, I'd have happily worn over some of the current mens offerings.

This is 2017, you do what you like and damn the torpedoes! Ducky . . .

F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Two ADs told me the AP 15450 is ladies model - still bought it though. I think, at last, the big men's watch fashion is reverting to more conservative sizing as buyers down size.
    Shirley.
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by slever View Post
    Two ADs told me the AP 15450 is ladies model - still bought it though. I think, at last, the big men's watch fashion is reverting to more conservative sizing as buyers down size.
    Shirley.
    xxx
    The 15450 is a Royal Oak that actually fits a smaller wrist (and the movement fits the case better than the 15400...). Great choice!

I have a strange yearning for a Linde Werdelin- on their website they have a preowned section.

http://www.lindewerdelin.com/shop/lw...mer-white-dial

Having looked at the specs the only difference I can spot is the strap is white - but you can buy white straps for “men’s “ watches too .
    Maybe the strap is shorter ?

I much prefer that Inox to the standard model! As for salesmen, well they are just trying to up their commission...

https://wristwatchreview.com/2017/05...nox-i-n-o-x-v/

I do actually like it but I know the wobbly Ronda movement would bother me in tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Maybe a million miles away from the likes of these "proper" watches, but I find a lot of the Baby G range much less disagreeable than the men's G-Shocks.
    A la Andy McNab? ;)
    I have a BabyG with the animated whale/dolphin, really comfy-but pink.

Shirley.
    xxx
    I have tried both the 37mm and 41mm on a 7" wrist. To me one fits and the other doesn't - yes I would take the 15450 in preference as well.

Craftsman
    Shirley.
    xxx
    I had exactly the same thing recently. Asked to try one on after seeing it in the window, only to be told - "sorry, that's the ladies version. We don't have any of the men's in stock."

Doesn't seem like a sensible sales strategy to me, but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    A la Andy McNab? ;)
    I have a BabyG with the animated whale/dolphin, really comfy-but pink.
    SSHHHH! We've been through this before, remember our persec!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I have tried both the 37mm and 41mm on a 7" wrist. To me one fits and the other doesn't - yes I would take the 15450 in preference as well.
    AP had the same issue recently with the new hammered Carolina Bucci collaborations. Men were so taken by the finish but the pieces were too small/marketed for women that they released a 41mm version shortly thereafter

Craftsman
    if you like it, wear it! this ladies/mens label is very outdated

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I have 6.75” wrists and had to get an extra bracelet link. I think the bracelet is a little lighter than the 41mm too.

Journeyman

So I've seen a woman's watch I quite like the look of...

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    I had exactly the same thing recently. Asked to try one on after seeing it in the window, only to be told - "sorry, that's the ladies version. We don't have any of the men's in stock."

Doesn't seem like a sensible sales strategy to me, but what do I know.
    I agree, it’s best described as mid size or unisex but it’s not a small watch at all really:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    There was a ladies Patek Philippe chronograph a few years back that, if not studded with diamonds, I'd have happily worn over some of the current mens offerings.
    Found it. It's this one. Lose the diamond bezel, put it on a black strap and I'd happily wear it at that size:

Journeyman
    Gender equality works both ways! Wear it with pride.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had another look at the Tudor 36 yesterday along with a Big pilot and 8 day.
    To me it seemed perfectly sized.

So I'll bring this back up because I notice that the 37mm is currently £180 with all the discounts HS can throw at it - very decent beater for anyone with smaller wrists:

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d...d+strap+watch/

So I'll bring this back up because I notice that the 37mm is currently £180 with all the discounts HS can throw at it - very decent beater for anyone with smaller wrists:

That is a good deal.

I like the "full size" version I have, but it's a very solid lump that sometimes seems too heavy for a Nato or an Erika's style strap.

The ladies model also has an 18mm lug width, which makes life far easier strap-wise than the 21mm lug width of its larger sibling.

Craftsman

Yes, very cool. I have an 8 inch wrist an am currently wearing a 37mm prs10. Field watches should be smaller, so they are unobtrusive

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    That is a good deal.

I like the "full size" version I have, but it's a very solid lump that sometimes seems too heavy for a Nato or an Erika's style strap.

The ladies model also has an 18mm lug width, which makes life far easier strap-wise than the 21mm lug width of its larger sibling.
    Yes - I had a couple of the full size and felt the same - so this is a good option.

Master

Looks far more masculine than feminine. Smaller size just equals comfort. Does the carbon effect one come in a small size?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Like the look of that. If the 37mm doesn't include the crown that size is fine as a mans watch comparing well with many Seiko 5's and of course the BB36 amongst others. Good value.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman

36mm on my 6.75’ wrist. I wouldn’t have said 36mm is a ladies watch at all.

It’s not the 90s bigger is better anymore!

So bring this old thread to live - Looking for a lady's watch for a fellow member - this 38mm ceramic dial HAQ watch is a 'first lady' - at £250 - I'd wear it:

Master
    Certainly doesn’t scream women’s watch to me. If it was 26/28 then maybe.

My Air-King 14200 is 34 and would probably look small on a bigger wrist but it’s fine for me and probably more of a size that men’s wristwatches were in the 1950s/60s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I posted on here about a lovely Breitling transocean
    Trans models too? Very 21st century!

Master
    I thought about buying this model myself as the gents version is far too big for me. I don't think they did the carbon one I fancied in the smaller size.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I much prefer a smaller watch. 36mm is ideal for me. I really like the Oris Big Crown pointer date in 36mm. The one I saw was a green dial. I really like the blue dial but they don't offer it in 36mm. They list them as a ladies watch but I would wear it. Eddie makes a lot of 36mm offering although some do have a longer lug-to-lug which makes them wear bigger but the 36mm Everest line at 43.5mm is ideal.

You are thinking "But Alan... that's an INOX, the manly watch for manly men!"

Except it's not its the INOX V - the em.. manly watch for lady like women which comes in a 37mm. How this differs from the man's version is a mystery and I rather like the look of it (also comes on a black strap) - seems a really silly bit of marketing differentiation (surely just a unisex watch).

This "woman's" watch is nicer than the full size version due to the dial being simpler and cleaner. The full size has sub-second division chapter ring which make no sense to me. Each second is divided into 3. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    This "woman's" watch is nicer than the full size version due to the dial being simpler and cleaner. The full size has sub-second division chapter ring which make no sense to me. Each second is divided into 3. Wtf?

I also prefer the 37mm ‘woman’s’ version.
    It’s worth watching Amazon for it. It was £180 a few months ago. I never bought it but looking back it seemed to be a great price.

Master
    I tried on a 37mm Yachtmaster a few weeks ago and despite not wanting to, really liked it. I won't be buying one but I thought it was a lovely looking watch and looked great on my narrow wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I tried on a 37mm Yachtmaster a few weeks ago and despite not wanting to, really liked it. I won't be buying one but I thought it was a lovely looking watch and looked great on my narrow wrist.
    I did exactly the same thing last year. The AD seemed very perturbed that I was considering the ‘ladies’ version! However, as another chap with a sub 6.5” wrist, it looked pretty much perfect. Some ladies watches are clearly aimed at someone with a love of diamonds and bling. Others are right up my street!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    A few months ago I bought a brand new 30mm Longines automatic and it's a revelation. I have been wearing it daily ever since. It's marketed as a woman's watch but it fits my 6.5 inch wrist so well in a way that was common before the 1990s. Not a single person has commented about it negatively. I think all this anxiety and insecurity is really from ourselves and not others. The date window is positioned properly because the size of the dial fits the proportions the ETA 2892-based movement was originally envisioned for. In fact, the whole watch is well proportioned because there is no need to somehow balance and accommodate all the unnecessary space created by enlarging the diameter to appease our size anxiety.

The watch in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    A few months ago I bought a brand new 30mm Longines automatic and it's a revelation. I have been wearing it daily ever since. It's marketed as a woman's watch but it fits my 6.5 inch wrist so well in a way that was common before the 1990s. Not a single person has commented about it negatively. I think all this anxiety and insecurity is really from ourselves and not others. The date window is positioned properly because the size of the dial fits the proportions the ETA 2892-based movement was originally envisioned for. In fact, the whole watch is well proportioned because there is no need to somehow balance and accommodate all the unnecessary space created by enlarging the diameter to appease our size anxiety.

The watch in question.
    S'pose you had to change the strap for something longer, though? Small watches like this have their charm but I might be annoyed by the 16mm lug width.

As for ladies versions, I'm pretty sure that's what I'd go for if I was getting a JR Terrascope.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    S'pose you had to change the strap for something longer, though? Small watches like this have their charm but I might be annoyed by the 16mm lug width.

As for ladies versions, I'm pretty sure that's what I'd go for if I was getting a JR Terrascope.
    The strap fits fine. I have 3 strap holes to spare. To be honest with watches marketed for men I find the straps are often very long and I need to use the very first or second strap hole. With 6.5 inch wrists I am on the small side, but not especially so I would have thought so it's strange.