closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Striped Photos

Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Striped Photos

Would anyone know why I get interference in close up photos under fluorescent light with my Samsung phone camera ? I try to show for example dried up oil on jewels by angling the camera so that the jewel surface reflects but I just get stripy pictures as below:

Any resolution greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    Donít tube lights flicker faster than the human eye can see but the camera can capture it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old tube style lights flicker at twice mains frequency so 100Hz. Modern lamps run at kHz frequencies so unnoticeable.

Try using window light with an 'L' shaped piece of white card as a reflector Ö card or cards placed opposite the window to reflect light back onto the subject. Cards can be weighted by placing any suitable weight on the base of the 'L'. I also use pieces of white polystyrene salvaged from packaging as reflectors.

dunk
    "My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters ..." Ö Boris Johnson Ö After being sacked from the Tory front bench, 2004

It's caused by interference between the speed of the electronic rolling shutter and frequency of the light source.

Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Try using window light with an 'L' shaped piece of white card as a reflector Ö card or cards placed opposite the window to reflect light back onto the subject. Cards can be weighted by placing any suitable weight on the base of the 'L'. I also use pieces of white polystyrene salvaged from packaging as reflectors.

dunk
    Thank you gents.
    I will try that dunk. Probably the only solution. It's just that my bench is not flooded with direct daylight as it would interfere with my normal day to day work lighting. I realise it is a clash of frequencies which the phone camera design may not have anticipated. Changing auto light settings on the camera doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Donít tube lights flicker faster than the human eye can see but the camera can capture it

Indeed. Here's a bit of fun from a while ago with streetlighting and snow. The shutter speed was 1/8th-sec, and you can see how each flake registered a dozen times during the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed. Here's a bit of fun from a while ago with streetlighting and snow. The shutter speed was 1/8th-sec, and you can see how each flake registered a dozen times during the exposure.

I like that. I guess you could do the same with moths around a light.

Same sort of thing as modern car headlights flickering when they are being filmed I guess(?).